• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars V |OT| V is for Voyage! There's an ENG version!

Although the only representation we really see in the scale of battles in SRW we really only see in the cinematic openings. The only justification is that most mechs like Gunbuster, TTGL, or Shin Getter Robo don't appear until 2/3 of the way into the game. And by that point you're usually fighting hoards of enemies anyway.

SRW also tries to represent this with Mech sizes, as small units like Aestavalis have an "Small" ranking, and units like Daitarn 3 having an "XL". There's usually a damage modifier when small units attack Large units, and there's an accuracy penalty the other way around.

SRW usually accounts for power levels through both units and pilots though. My favorite example of this is in Super Robot Wars Z, where Renton from Eureka 7 had shitty stat gains up until around level 50, where he then became easily a top 5 pilot in the game. It's cool because it sort of represents his progress in the actual show's plot.

Although the best example of a low power unit beating the shit out of giant monsters and extra dimensional dragons when it has no right to is in SRW Z2/Z3 with Chirico and his Scopedog. Although that's more because Chirico is basically God and the game reflects that he can basically beat the shit out of anything even in a shitty mech like a scopedog

Oh, I know how they balance them in terms of gameplay (I've been playing SRW games since Alpha), I was talking in terms of the fiction. Like I can't help but imagine some scrub UC Gundam supporting character, staring at his fucking Rick Dom or whatever, and just thinking, "Just what the fuck am I even doing here?"

TimeKillr

I'm curious about something.

So let's say I want to use the DLC codes that came with my version of the game and/or buy DLC in general for the Singapore version. I'm in Canada, btw.

Here is what I understand I have to do -

1- Create a Singapore PSN account
2- Log into it from my PS4
3- Make my console the primary console for that account
4- Use the DLC card

Now I'm wondering - can I be on my Canadian PSN account and use the DLC once it's downloaded to my Singaporean PSN account? Can you have 2 accounts use a single PS4 as their primary console?

This is all super confusing to me :)

Leezard

I'm curious about something.

So let's say I want to use the DLC codes that came with my version of the game and/or buy DLC in general for the Singapore version. I'm in Canada, btw.

Here is what I understand I have to do -

1- Create a Singapore PSN account
2- Log into it from my PS4
3- Make my console the primary console for that account
4- Use the DLC card

Now I'm wondering - can I be on my Canadian PSN account and use the DLC once it's downloaded to my Singaporean PSN account? Can you have 2 accounts use a single PS4 as their primary console?

This is all super confusing to me :)

Yes to both of your questions. I bought V digitally (and thus got preorder dlc) and I play exclusively on my non-Singaporean PSN account.

Sakura

How does the game compare to the Z series? I really liked that series, and am interested in picking this up, but am hesitant because of the small roster.

Tsukumo

How does the game compare to the Z series? I really liked that series, and am interested in picking this up, but am hesitant because of the small roster.

- Difficulty: easier than Z, Z-2 and Z-3

- Animations: still unable to top Z-2 IMO. Better than Z-1 and Z-3 for sure. The shake-cam doesn't work in its favour.

- Plot: One notch below Z-2, just because that game followed Geass, Lagann, Votoms and 00 as main series. Character interactions are MX/W level of good, better than any Z chapter, the plot has some fan-fiction level of IF developments and well, Cross Ange is not my cup of tea and in this game it's everywhere. Should have been Escaflowne.

- Ost: superb arrangements in this one. Kind of regretting not getting the Premium now.

Shouta

This game is a lot less heavy than the Z games. It moves a brisk place and kind of keeps the story stuff lean by focusing on just the major story points. Cross series interaction and plot point mixing is also kind of kept to very important ones too.

Animations in this are much more clearly showing that they're using a stylized approach instead of focusing on purely animating the core sprites. This is probably because doing the old style in HD probably costs quite a bit but who knows. In any case, you can tell because some of the unique sprites won't animate as much compared to the old ones but the effects look closer to the effects in the animes they come from or the cut-ins are amazing. They've finally found their footing with this I think. If they could just smooth out the animatiosn they have right now a bit more, I'd be pretty happy or give every series the Might Gaine treatment, lol Z2 is still the best of the old style if you prefer that but between this and Z3, this wins hands down.

Is there a way to show HP bars below units? I'm pretty sure that SD Gundam had that, but I didn't see any way to turn it on in this game.

I can't agree with the animation thing honestly. It very clearly depends on who did the animation work and it varies by units.

Look at F91 and X1, both are very detailed with lots of movement, lots of effort for Gundam units.

The 00 and Zeta ones fall somewhere bellow that with a few odd perspective choices but mainly still lots of good animations.

Harute, Zeta, Huckbein are all extremely minimalist by very dynamic animations with a lot of flare.

Full Metal Panic units still look like ass.

TimeKillr

So far, what do you guys think are the best things to get in the TacP Customization section?

I went with SP Boost, TAC Point Bonus, but I'm really unsure as to how the third tier works. Is it that as soon as a unit gets to ExC points, they gain the bonus? In this case I would most likely go for Critical Boost (you can always get more Will, and additional movement speed isn't that useful once you've killed 3 enemies - it's useful to start with) but I'm unsure.

As for the fourth tier, I'm conflicted. Excessive Force has a translation error (it would've been the default pick, lol) but it still looks good on paper. Earlier access to stronger abilities is good, it seems.

Shouta

So far, what do you guys think are the best things to get in the TacP Customization section?

I went with SP Boost, TAC Point Bonus, but I'm really unsure as to how the third tier works. Is it that as soon as a unit gets to ExC points, they gain the bonus? In this case I would most likely go for Critical Boost (you can always get more Will, and additional movement speed isn't that useful once you've killed 3 enemies - it's useful to start with) but I'm unsure.

As for the fourth tier, I'm conflicted. Excessive Force has a translation error (it would've been the default pick, lol) but it still looks good on paper. Earlier access to stronger abilities is good, it seems.

Third tier abilities apply after you gain 3 ExC points and stay with the unit until the end of the map even if you use those 3 ExC points.

Force Boost: Raises the max Morale/Will of a unit by 10
Critical Boost: Raises the damage of critical attacks by 1.4x
Accel Boost: Raises movement of that unit by 1

Tier 4: Bonuses to your units when the map starts

SP Plus: All pilots start with +20 SP
Tension Plus: All pilots start with 1 ExC point
Force Plus: All units start with an additional +10 Moral/Will (units start at 110 instead of 100 for example).

I went Repair for T1, TacP Gain for T2, Critical Boost for Tier 3, and Force Plus for Tier 4 myself.

TimeKillr

Third tier abilities apply after you gain 3 ExC points and stay with the unit until the end of the map even if you use those 3 ExC points.

Force Boost: Raises the max Morale/Will of a unit by 10
Critical Boost: Raises the damage of critical attacks by 1.4x
Accel Boost: Raises movement of that unit by 1

Tier 4: Bonuses to your units when the map starts

SP Plus: All pilots start with +20 SP
Tension Plus: All pilots start with 1 ExC point
Force Plus: All units start with an additional +10 Moral/Will (units start at 110 instead of 100 for example).

I went Repair for T1, TacP Gain for T2, Critical Boost for Tier 3, and Force Plus for Tier 4 myself.

Why'd you go Repair for T1? To me it felt like there's already ways to repair/resupply that are consistent enough..

The thing is I think I went with the SP boost because in the other SRWs I played there is a huge emphasis on seishins and SP Regen is always super expensive, but I think I might have mispicked because I very rarely use seishins in V (outside of 2x exp/2x gold)...

Vic_Viper

How is the Vita version compared to the PS4? Seems like the Vita version is the one Id be most interested in picking up for this type of game if I can find it for a decent price.

Shouta

Why'd you go Repair for T1? To me it felt like there's already ways to repair/resupply that are consistent enough..

The thing is I think I went with the SP boost because in the other SRWs I played there is a huge emphasis on seishins and SP Regen is always super expensive, but I think I might have mispicked because I very rarely use seishins in V (outside of 2x exp/2x gold)...

Repair and Resupply for T1 is more conducive to fielding a bunch of far moving units than relying on the support specific ones, IMO. It makes getting SP points easier. It's not a huge amount you gain back per turn, about 10% for HP/EN, but it goes a long way when mixing in ammo-based attacks. In addition, it also stacks with innate HP/EN regens as well so those units get an additional boon.

I haven't done much resupplying but Repair in this game is a bit weaker in this without the skill. They're also usually units with very little movement, making it harder to keep up with vanguard units without putting some resources into them.

SP regenerates naturally in this, so sparing use of them in the right situations goes a long way. I didn't feel like it was necessary to go with it. There are tons of parts for that too in this game, heh.

OVDRobo

Got my copy in today. Sometimes it really sucks being a physical collector since I've been anticipating this for a while, though at least I got some assignment work done in the meantime.

Played up to mission 9 and so far it seems pretty good. I've played through both Z2's, both Z3's, OG 2nd and OG MD to date so the formula's a bit thin at this point, but I'm still enjoying it for what it is. It being in English for once is a huge bonus as well, though I don't really play games like this for story to begin with.

Only real complaint I have so far is the focus on real robots, which seems to be the theme of this game from the series list. I don't mind real robots and can understand with the story being focused around Space Battleship Yamato why you wouldn't want robots can just destroy planets and rip open space-time detracting from the story. The old classics like Mazinger and Getter Robo returning is satisfying a bit of my craving for ridiculousness, though considering the series is called 'Super Robot Wars', it seems like all the really crazy units are locked away in other continuums to protect the plot.

I'm sure they have some historical relevance that I'm unaware of, but I'm completely sick of Zambot and Daitarn. If there's a limit to the number of times I can not sortie a unit, I'm close to hitting it.

Feels like a brave new world to be playing a SRW game without a Macross unit in it, at least. I'm not sure if any of the portable entries excluded Macross, but every single franchised entry I've played has had Frontier in it.

Kysuke

I just ordered the 20 dollar express shipping from play Asia. How long will it take to get to New York? They said it is estimated around April....

Saphirax

So the express shipping didn't factor in?

They won't have any new stock until April. They can't send you something they don't have. You'll have to wait until April no matter what, but you'll still get the game faster with express shipping.

Kysuke

They won't have any new stock until April. They can't send you something they don't have. You'll have to wait until April no matter what, but you'll still get the game faster with express shipping.

Shouldn't they say if they are out of stock though? Most sites when I order usually tells me that.

And they already charged me.

Yeah Tier 1 HP/EN regen is great. Since every pilot has an innate SP regen but not every unit has innate HP/EN regen. It's super convenient when say Might Gaine regains an entire cost of "Signal Beam" every turn.

Critical damage boost is pretty huge too considering how often some units can crit.

Yeah Tier 1 HP/EN regen is great. Since every pilot has an innate SP regen but not every unit has innate HP/EN regen. It's super convenient when say Might Gaine regains an entire cost of "Signal Beam" every turn.

Critical damage boost is pretty huge too considering how often some units can crit.

More than that. You now have an on- demand Crit that stacks with both Soul and Valor. Crit boost is ridiculously good for that reason alone.

There is always a 2nd or a 3rd play through.

But yeah that's one of the things that helps to learn about SRW, doing damage is important and damage multipliers are the best thing you can get. It just makes everything in the game easier when you can do way more damage with a single attack.

Alright, I'm already mid-game and fuck enemies with potential.

Heavy Stage Spoilers (before Stage 30).

Like, I'm getting the event where SHIN FUCKING GETTER 1 gets unlocked and I'm fighting Tetsuya with his assload of defense and potential levels. I change getter attacked him with Hayato AND Benkei AND Getter-Beamed with Ryouma and I'm doing triple digit damage with every one. Big Bang Punch is doing like 2500.

And like the stage before has Angels that pretty much fall like paper mache.

Tsukumo

Alright, I'm already mid-game and fuck enemies with potential.

Heavy Stage Spoilers (before Stage 30).

Like, I'm getting the event where SHIN FUCKING GETTER 1 gets unlocked and I'm fighting Tetsuya with his assload of defense and potential levels. I change getter attacked him with Hayato AND Benkei AND Getter-Beamed with Ryouma and I'm doing triple digit damage with every one. Big Bang Punch is doing like 2500.

And like the stage before has Angels that pretty much fall like paper mache.

Yeah, at first I thought this game would keep an even level of difficulty throughout its course but it seems that it's increasing now. Stage 21 for me. If things keep going this way I'll be really happy: was kind of bummed that there's no EX-Hard mode, but with the game upping the challenge I can't say I'm disappointed with the difficulty now.

Risette

A Good Citizen
which ones of these translated robot RPGs is the best to buy? This game, the SD Gundam one, or Moon Dwellers?

Never played one of these types of games before but I'm interested.

Loona

which ones of these translated robot RPGs is the best to buy? This game, the SD Gundam one, or Moon Dwellers?

Moon Dwellers is best enjoyed with wider knowledge of the SRW OG setting, while SRW V is probably enjoyed fine on its own. Not sure about the Gundam one though.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Finally got my copy so looking forward to trying it out! Sad part was found that they rereleased the LE version in stores so I didnt have to buy it from one of the marketplace hyenas... D:

Moon Dwellers is the sequel to a very longstanding series. Looks amazing though if you've never played one of the SRWs it recycles heavily from.

SRWV is standalone, but it does get alot better if you know at least some of the series in the game for the cool factor. It doesn't assume you know the plots of any of the anime series involved.

It depends on what you want.

If you are an Early UC fan (UC 0079 - UC 0105) go with SD Gundam.
SRW V is fanservice for the entire genre

Risette

A Good Citizen
yeah I like robot cartoons in general and have seen lots outside of the Gundam/Macross/Eva stuff, I just haven't played any of the games cause lol availability in English.

I'll get this first and then SD Gundam later I think, cause I do like UC Gundam. But a mega crossover sounds more fun.

This game is a lot less heavy than the Z games. It moves a brisk place and kind of keeps the story stuff lean by focusing on just the major story points. Cross series interaction and plot point mixing is also kind of kept to very important ones too.

Animations in this are much more clearly showing that they're using a stylized approach instead of focusing on purely animating the core sprites. This is probably because doing the old style in HD probably costs quite a bit but who knows. In any case, you can tell because some of the unique sprites won't animate as much compared to the old ones but the effects look closer to the effects in the animes they come from or the cut-ins are amazing. They've finally found their footing with this I think. If they could just smooth out the animatiosn they have right now a bit more, I'd be pretty happy or give every series the Might Gaine treatment, lol Z2 is still the best of the old style if you prefer that but between this and Z3, this wins hands down.

I've been noticing this in the little bit I've been able to play, and it's making it all the more enjoyable in the short bursts I can play it. I couldn't imagine sitting through Z3 length dialogue sequences right now. The focus ons story is much tighter than I expected too and it's really drawing me in. It's actually really making me want to watch Space Battleship Yamato, which has been on my back burner for a long time.

Also yeah, I miss some of the Z2 animations. Black Getter's final attack looked so much better in Z2 than it did in Z3. But you're right about nailing each series style. The Zeta animations were my absolute favorite in Z3.
tied with like 7 other series mind you.

Leezard

Man, I love to use ZZ. Other Gundams are cool too, but the ZZ is a beast. It's just a bit sad that it's so hungry for energy.

Apharmd

This game has consumed the fuck out of my life for the past few days. On scenario 33. It's so full of little things that make playing it a joy.

It really makes waiting for the Switch like, an absolute breeze.

Man, I love to use ZZ. Other Gundams are cool too, but the ZZ is a beast. It's just a bit sad that it's so hungry for energy.
That makes it more like canon since in the show the ZZ Gundam's main problem was that its power consumption and power efficiency was pretty poor.

Leezard

That makes it more like canon since in the show the ZZ Gundam's main problem was that its power consumption and power efficiency was pretty poor.
I see, I did not remember that from the show. At least the 50% upgrade bonus makes it easier to handle the energy issue.

Bebpo

Banned
One thing I'm a little disappointed in is the lack of BGMs. I thought the normal edition would have chiptune versions of all the premium edition sounds, but Gundam OO still only has the instrumental movie songs only and there's no Kanjite Knight for Great Mazinger to use.

Does SRW release soundtracks with licensed tracks? If I just had the 2-1 ost with custom soundtracks I could fix this.

lupinko

I tried the custom music option but it wasn't seeing my USB? Unless I was too drunk on Kolin hype.

I know the USB flash drive works because I was using it in SFV just a few minutes before.

One thing I'm a little disappointed in is the lack of BGMs. I thought the normal edition would have chiptune versions of all the premium edition sounds, but Gundam OO still only has the instrumental movie songs only and there's no Kanjite Knight for Great Mazinger to use.

Does SRW release soundtracks with licensed tracks? If I just had the 2-1 ost with custom soundtracks I could fix this.

Only of reprises, remixes and covers.

Top Bottom