• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars V |OT| V is for Voyage! There's an ENG version!

What does Proud Ace and the other Ace statuses do?

Edit:
And how do you get the Full Custom Bonus? It says "acquired at Robot Customization Lv. 10, but all my mechs are higher than 10% customization level and still hasn't unlocked.

It's normally that you have to upgrade all the stats barring weapon level to 10 to get the bonus.

Phanatic8390 it's just a resolution difference based on Z3 on the vita/ps3. I do have both copies but i don't have a PS4 bought it for my friend so tomorrow I will probably be playing the PS4 version so I can give you more info tomorrow unless someone else does.

I just noticed that now! You know your console did poorly without a SRW release.

Even the 360 got a SRW (updated GC port but whatever lol).

I took the premium version out for a spin, I panicked originally because I thought lack of custom music. But that's not the case.

Anyway I don't regret buying the premium version but the songs used are from the original TV series airing / theatrical / ova version.

In Z3 I shoved in the original full vocal tracks. Lol

SRW is so much better with the actual music, and Time to Come is from SRW4 super famicom. Which is a nice touch, even though I did like the vocal versions.

I need to put in the Evangelion gainax era music in sometime and maybe the original 70s Yamato theme.

Oh right, F91 music for Crossbone, "The Time I'm Seeing You" is really great. Iirc Impact used it for F91.

And of course Z Toki wo Koete, and why not the Neil Sedaka originals too.

For Banpresto originals I just gave them Susumu Hirasawa music from Paprika and Berserk. Lol

I don't think I'd ever do it personally. I enjoy the old school nature of the series so I really enjoy the MIDI music. Having said that if there was an english release of the full music edition I would have purchased it as well as the regular.

Rahvar

So, I am looking to pick this or SD Gundam G Generation Genesis up in May once I have gone through Horizon, Mass Effect and Persona.

As someone who primarily is a Gundam fan but have played several of the SRW games since the SNES, which game should I pick up?

I have more Gundam nostalgia but I'd pick SRW if the story, art and/or gameplay is better.

So, I am looking to pick this or SD Gundam G Generation Genesis up in May once I have gone through Horizon, Mass Effect and Persona.

As someone who primarily is a Gundam fan but have played several of the SRW games since the SNES, which game should I pick up?

I have more Gundam nostalgia but I'd pick SRW if the story, art and/or gameplay is better.

SD Gundam would probably be better for you if you just want Gundam. I still recommend SRW V at some point though.

Shouta

Ignoring translation quality, how is Moon Dwellers? Barring the inclusion of a number of specific series, I actually like the OG cast more than most of the regular games (The Z2 PSP games are the only mainline installments I've made it through, but they were great.).

It's really good. It just suffers the same problem all the OG games have in that the cast is just too big and they don't do any paring from game to game. As such the game suffers a tad because most of the cast are kinda in the background and pop-in for things at times while the featured cast of the game is doing most of the talking and stuff. This leads to some of the cast feeling like a gag. I mean, they were a gag before but it was easier to sneak it, multiple times at that, when the conversation involved them.

It highly depends on what you're looking for.

SD Gundam games have a gameplay loop that is kinda similar to Pokemon but uses a strategy base. Raise your suits and characters, evolve and fuse new ones, etc. There tends to be very little story, if any at all, and as a result, the game mostly focuses on reenacting key events in each Gundam series though with a twist.

SRW is more in the vein of a game like Tactics Ogre or FFT. Not as much customization as either but the focus is on the same flavor of tactics play. The story is a cross-over one where they mix and mash story beats from every game to make one big storyline featuring them all. They'll mingle story elements with each other so they're related, have characters interact that provide some insight into each other. So on that front it's much more engaging than SD Gundam.

I think my favorite little moment in SRW V so far is seeing Shinji and Hathaway interact. Pretty interesting considering both of their situations. However, they've been doing Eva really well recently in general so. lol

^^^^To add if you have a DS lite try to find SD Gundam Advabce and SD Gundam DS. They are both crossover gundam stories. I have a problem eith the SD Gundam series in that I got into it because of those two games (more advance havent beaten DS but I will pretty big handheld backlog) and the other games I have picked up aren't cross over games. Not sure about SD Gundam 3d.

Rahvar

It highly depends on what you're looking for.

SD Gundam games have a gameplay loop that is kinda similar to Pokemon but uses a strategy base. Raise your suits and characters, evolve and fuse new ones, etc. There tends to be very little story, if any at all, and as a result, the game mostly focuses on reenacting key events in each Gundam series though with a twist.

SRW is more in the vein of a game like Tactics Ogre or FFT. Not as much customization as either but the focus is on the same flavor of tactics play. The story is a cross-over one where they mix and mash story beats from every game to make one big storyline featuring them all. They'll mingle story elements with each other so they're related, have characters interact that provide some insight into each other. So on that front it's much more engaging than SD Gundam.

I think my favorite little moment in SRW V so far is seeing Shinji and Hathaway interact. Pretty interesting considering both of their situations. However, they've been doing Eva really well recently in general so. lol

Thanks for the detailed reply! Looks like I will grab SRW first then. I love me some Gundam, but I have seen every single Gundam episode and relived them in several games already.

Ventara

So, I've been thinking of picking up one of these mecha games for my Vita. Would this be the best one to get for a first-timer? I think the only other ones on the Vita in English are Gundam Breaker 3 and SD Gundam G Generation Genesis.

I have vague fond memories of Gundam Wing as a kid, hated Evangelion, and enjoyed Gurren Lagann and Code Geass. That's pretty much the extent of my mecha anime experience. I'm not opposed to watching more mecha anime to get more out of the game, though, as long as it's not Evangelion.

Oh, and I really enjoy SRPGs like Tactics Ogre and FFT, which I saw was brought up as being similar in gameplay to this.

SkyOdin

So, I've been thinking of picking up one of these mecha games for my Vita. Would this be the best one to get for a first-timer? I think the only other ones on the Vita in English are Gundam Breaker 3 and SD Gundam G Generation Genesis.

I have vague fond memories of Gundam Wing as a kid, hated Evangelion, and enjoyed Gurren Lagann and Code Geass. That's pretty much the extent of my mecha anime experience. I'm not opposed to watching more mecha anime to get more out of the game, though, as long as it's not Evangelion.

Oh, and I really enjoy SRPGs like Tactics Ogre and FFT, which I saw was brought up as being similar in gameplay to this.
Well, knowledge of the particular series involved in a SRW game is completely optional. This game might be a good choice for a first timer simply because of the English translation. I've played a few games in raw japanese despite not knowing the language, but I was only able to do that thanks to having played the english versions of OG 1and 2 on the GBA first. If you enjoy SRPGs and like mecha, then the SRW franchise might be for you.

Once you're familiar with the franchise and its mechanics, you might want to consider trying Super Robot Wars Z2. It is a two-part game that prominently features Gundam Wing, Code Geass, and Gurren Lagann. No offocial translation, though, so I am reluctant to recommend it as your first game.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I haven't play V yet, but SRW is pretty easy. You can raise the difficulty by doing the optional objective, which will scale up the difficulty. In return it will reward you with secret unit/weapon or potentially change the plot.

I just beat mission 5, I'm kinda wondering if beating Shultz with the Yamato might unlock some secret? I got the SP points but didn't even consider that I might want to finish him off with the Yamato until I already used it for the turn.

I'm having a blast with SRW V so far, and I love mecha but haven't actually watched many of the series in this game (So far the only one character from a series I've actually seen has been Yamato 2199).

SD Gundam G Generation Genesis is great if you love the Gundam UC timeline and want to see a recap of the major chapters of each series, play out those battles, and collect your favorite mechs from the Gundam universe. If you don't have any experience with the UC timeline, you'd be missing out on the excitement that familiarity of the series gives you and the feeling of "Oh fuck this is the custom Gouf from 8th MS team!" that you get from having favorite mobile suits from the series. It also doesn't cover any of the Gundam Wing stories.

I think SRW V is a great entry point if you're only vaguely familiar with a couple of the series. Like, I know the Mazinger and Getter Robo franchises exists, but I've never seen an episode of it, and that's still enough to enjoy the presence of these characters showing up with their giant robots and watching their awesome animations.

If you have a favorite series, that enhances the enjoyment of seeing these characters wreck shit, but even if you're mostly blind to their actual histories it isn't a detriment to enjoying the game.

Fair warning: If you want to have any of the DLC, importing for the Vita is a pain in the ass. You need to change your region to access the PSN store that hosts the region's DLC, which is like a 10 minute process, and if you only have one memory card you'll need to format it.

Ventara

Well, knowledge of the particular series involved in a SRW game is completely optional. This game might be a good choice for a first timer simply because of the English translation. I've played a few games in raw japanese despite not knowing the language, but I was only able to do that thanks to having played the english versions of OG 1and 2 on the GBA first. If you enjoy SRPGs and like mecha, then the SRW franchise might be for you.

Once you're familiar with the franchise and its mechanics, you might want to consider trying Super Robot Wars Z2. It is a two-part game that prominently features Gundam Wing, Code Geass, and Gurren Lagann. No offocial translation, though, so I am reluctant to recommend it as your first game.

I just beat mission 5, I'm kinda wondering if beating Shultz with the Yamato might unlock some secret? I got the SP points but didn't even consider that I might want to finish him off with the Yamato until I already used it for the turn.

I'm having a blast with SRW V so far, and I love mecha but haven't actually watched many of the series in this game (So far the only one character from a series I've actually seen has been Yamato 2199).

SD Gundam G Generation Genesis is great if you love the Gundam UC timeline and want to see a recap of the major chapters of each series, play out those battles, and collect your favorite mechs from the Gundam universe. If you don't have any experience with the UC timeline, you'd be missing out on the excitement that familiarity of the series gives you and the feeling of "Oh fuck this is the custom Gouf from 8th MS team!" that you get from having favorite mobile suits from the series. It also doesn't cover any of the Gundam Wing stories.

I think SRW V is a great entry point if you're only vaguely familiar with a couple of the series. Like, I know the Mazinger and Getter Robo franchises exists, but I've never seen an episode of it, and that's still enough to enjoy the presence of these characters showing up with their giant robots and watching their awesome animations.

If you have a favorite series, that enhances the enjoyment of seeing these characters wreck shit, but even if you're mostly blind to their actual histories it isn't a detriment to enjoying the game.

Alright, thanks guys. Sounds like SRWV is the place for me to start.

Fair warning: If you want to have any of the DLC, importing for the Vita is a pain in the ass. You need to change your region to access the PSN store that hosts the region's DLC, which is like a 10 minute process, and if you only have one memory card you'll need to format it.

Is there significant free DLC for this game? I don't mind the whole switching thing as I do have a an 8GB spare memory card lying around and used to do it a lot for another game.

I feel so mixed about getting V. The animations look great, but I haven't been this cold on a SRW cast in over 10 years.

I've never liked Gundam, so half the SRW cast never does much for me, but I think I care even less for the other half. I am sick to fucking death of the Evangelion movies, I have nothing but apathy towards FMP, I care nothing for Daitarn or Zambot (or Combattler or Voltes or Grendizer etc) because I wasn't a child who grew up in Japan and I would have much preferred the Nadesico tv show to the movie.

Basically the only series that hold even a passing interest for me are Shin Mazinger Zero and Might Gaine.

Nudull

Banned
Decided to take a chance and made an order for the PS4 version. I'm not familiar with all of the mecha shows involved, but given SRW's proven awesomeness, I should still have fun as a first-timer.

Alright, thanks guys. Sounds like SRWV is the place for me to start.

Is there significant free DLC for this game? I don't mind the whole switching thing as I do have a an 8GB spare memory card lying around and used to do it a lot for another game.

I think the major free DLC that first-print editions have is two characters/mechs who show up immediately if you have the DLC. Without the DLC, I think they show up later in the game anyway.

Shouta

Stage 31, Route Split B spoilers

I don't know how I feel about Cross Ange having such a big part of the lore of this game. It being the base reasoning behind Gundam OO and Gundam Seed and Seed Destiny is just weird. Strike Freedom being modeled after Ange's Villkiss is kinda of an amusing nod to Fukuda but man, it also feels dirty at the same time. I almost would regret taking this route split if it weren't for the fact I got Black Might Gaine, a secret unit, on stage 28.

If anyone is interested, I found this wiki that lists hidden stuff: http://ha-navi.com/srv-kak
(Spoilers obviously)
As usual, this early, everything is to take with a grain of salt, but there's some interesting stuff. At least it's worth watching these kill counts and ace statuses.

I usually roll with DS-can or Akurasu but they tend to update later.

squall23

WTF happened to Fukuda to make up this weird ass story known as Cross Ange. I watched Cyber Formula when I was like 5, loved it. Then eventually got around to the OVAs when I got older. I watched Dendoh around the time SRWR came out, loved it. I even loved Crush Gear Turbo which while he didn't direct, he was head of 3D animation for it.

I want the old Fukuda back.

I have only beaten the first stage, but today when I booted it up I was greeted with a "Bonus Content Deleted" message, and it looks like the first bonus scenario that would be available after scenario 2 has disappeared. Has anyone else run into this?

Shouta

I have only beaten the first stage, but today when I booted it up I was greeted with a "Bonus Content Deleted" message, and it looks like the first bonus scenario that would be available after scenario 2 has disappeared. Has anyone else run into this?

That's strange. Did you try downloading it again?

I think this game translated "..." as "Umm".

Makes it seem like Akito is always fumbling around for something cool to say but just can't get it out.

That's strange. Did you try downloading it again?

I did and it came back, but now for whatever reason, if I turn off my PS4 I have to switch to my Singapore account and re-download the dlc or it won't load an in map save. It just says the data cannot be found and I need to reinstall it. I've tried uploading the save and continuing from a download, but I get the same result.

Edit: Figured out I just need to be logged in with both accounts before I start playing and it's fine. I'm guessing it's like this for other games you have different region DLC downloaded for? I don't remember having this issue with Full Burst on the PS3 though.

Stage 31, Route Split B spoilers

I don't know how I feel about Cross Ange having such a big part of the lore of this game. It being the base reasoning behind Gundam OO and Gundam Seed and Seed Destiny is just weird. Strike Freedom being modeled after Ange's Villkiss is kinda of an amusing nod to Fukuda but man, it also feels dirty at the same time. I almost would regret taking this route split if it weren't for the fact I got Black Might Gaine, a secret unit, on stage 28.

Was Cross Ange better received in Japan? My assumption is that the blatantly mysoginistic elements of that show may have played better with otaku than with Western audiences.

I didn't know anything about Cross Ange before playing the game, and I'm at scenario 19, and yeah, the way it is in the game is basically a boob snorefest. There's only so much dumb stuff I can absorb before I start skipping things.
Going the Cross Ange route probably didn't help though.
There's some interesting stuff in there, but it's mired in really dumb shit. Give me back that space odyssey with space pirates and dimension travelers.

Jashobeam

I did and it came back, but now for whatever reason, if I turn off my PS4 I have to switch to my Singapore account and re-download the dlc or it won't load an in map save. It just says the data cannot be found and I need to reinstall it. I've tried uploading the save and continuing from a download, but I get the same result.

Edit: Figured out I just need to be logged in with both accounts before I start playing and it's fine. I'm guessing it's like this for other games you have different region DLC downloaded for? I don't remember having this issue with Full Burst on the PS3 though.

did you set the console as the primary account on your Singapore psn account? You can't access the content from account offline unless the PS4 is set as the primary console for that account.

Shouta

I think this game translated "..." as "Umm".

Makes it seem like Akito is always fumbling around for something cool to say but just can't get it out.

That's kinda of amazing and sad at the same time.

I didn't have that problem with my game. I have the JP version and I'm playing it on my US account. However, my system is JP. I don't know if that would help in this situation.

Was Cross Ange better received in Japan? My assumption is that the blatantly mysoginistic elements of that show may have played better with otaku than with Western audiences.

I think it averaged about a 3-4 on a scale of 5 for most folks into reviewing shows on the net over there.

Anyway, I got the mid-season upgrade for Might Gaine and his attacks are so nice looking, like even better than the initial ones. They really did a bang up job. Even FMP's units look like they got an animation upgrade, still kinda eh but much better than before.

lupinko

I haven't tried it yet but does a USB device have to be plugged in at all times for custom music? I also noticed that it saves a music data file regardless (even just for your presets).

I am leaning towards Macross II or Susumu Hirasawa music for Chitose and Soji.

That or I'll just alternate.

Shouta

I haven't tried it yet but does a USB device have to be plugged in at all times for custom music? I also noticed that it saves a music data file regardless (even just for your presets).

I am leaning towards Macross II or Susumu Hirasawa music for Chitose and Soji.

That or I'll just alternate.

I think so but I could be wrong. I haven't used it myself yet.

For folks that have played older SRWs, got a question.

Did they ever do a Nazi Nani Nadesico segment in the games featuring Prince of Darkness? I know it shows up in the games with the TV series but uh, this is the first time I remember seeing it in a PoD focused game, lol

did you set the console as the primary account on your Singapore psn account? You can't access the content from account offline unless the PS4 is set as the primary console for that account.

This would be the problem. The easy work around for me has just been making sure both accounts are online before I start the game, so not a big deal. Just threw me for a second since I didn't have that problem on the PS3 in the past.

I didn't have that problem with my game. I have the JP version and I'm playing it on my US account. However, my system is JP. I don't know if that would help in this situation.

I wonder too, since the consoles are region free. I got it figured out though, but thanks for looking out!

lupinko

I think so but I could be wrong. I haven't used it myself yet.

For folks that have played older SRWs, got a question.

Did they ever do a Nazi Nani Nadesico segment in the games featuring Prince of Darkness? I know it shows up in the games with the TV series but uh, this is the first time I remember seeing it in a PoD focused game, lol

I don't recall it in the older games but it's been a long time.

I'm debating putting in the original Yamato theme by Isao Sasaki, since 2199 is just instrumental.

I haven't seen the anime but I did randomly watch one of the theatrical movies a couple of years ago here in Sendai.

hiten

Neo Member
Standard mode should be fine for a beginner. Beginner mode gets rid of SR points, extra objectives during a mission you can do to challenge yourself, and the difficulty is set at normal. You are also guaranteed some bonus money and TacPs at the end of the map. In Standard mode, as you collect SR points, the level of the game can increase to Hard mode making it a little more difficult and the bonus from SR points is set at 10,000 money. You start at normal difficulty so you can affect the difficulty by going after SR points or not.

You can also change the mode in the Intermission screen settings. So I'd recommend going standard first and if it's too hard, switch to Beginner.

To add to what Shouta said, I would suggest to also play the Guidance Scenario.

Thanks, I'm going with standard then.

Just finished Guidance Scenario, kinda overwhelmed with the amount of terms displayed on the window.

Is there any way to check the amount of damage we deal to the enemies before attacking them? (I mean something like in Fire Emblem)

When we select our weapon, there's damage info, but I noticed the damage dealt to enemies is usually less than that.

Strings

I feel so mixed about getting V. The animations look great, but I haven't been this cold on a SRW cast in over 10 years.

Felt the same re: the cast, but the game itself is the best SRW in ages imo. I'm really enjoying the original characters / units too, despite how trope-y they are.

Shouta

This Daitarn/Nadesico thing. People are right about the level of crossover in this game.

Yeah, I was quite surprised with that.

Thanks, I'm going with standard then.

Just finished Guidance Scenario, kinda overwhelmed with the amount of terms displayed on the window.

Is there any way to check the amount of damage we deal to the enemies before attacking them? (I mean something like in Fire Emblem)

When we select our weapon, there's damage info, but I noticed the damage dealt to enemies is usually less than that.

There's no way to check your final damage dealt. The value you see listed on the status screen before initiating combat is the attack power of the unit's selected attack. You kind of get a feel for it after awhile. You can kind of figure it out quick by looking at the Morale/Will of your opponent and checking to see if they have any special skills that are active like Guard (reduces damage taken by 20% at 130 Morale/Will) or the like.

Don't be afraid to ask questions about stats. The translation might not convey it correctly but myself and I'm sure others will be glad to clarify if there's something that isn't intelligible.

I usually do a quick save before trying to figure out how to bring a unit down to a certain HP or to try and kill it it one shot.

Yeah damage is something you get a feel for the longer you play these games.

But then you see a boss with these things

極
底力L9
ガード
気力+(ダメージ)

and it's just WTF, you don't know anything but despair.

But more seriously a lot of values in the game are normalized. Upgrading units only needs you about 2000 more attack on all weapons. So you aren't going to be doing that much more damage even with upgrades. You can think of like 5K-6K for the upper limit of a unit with upgraded damage and around 10K-12K if they get a critical attack. So the strongest attack a main robot from a series should be able to take out an average enemy with a single strongest attack. The tougher common enemies will be one shot if you get a critical.

But there are other things to watch out for like barriers where your damage bellow a specific threshold is ignored completely. Although I would say this applies to how damage works in these games in general. Where Overall a single strong attack is better then several weak attacks as the damage is reduced by a fixed amount on every attack. So relatively speaking stronger attacks decrease by a lower percentage than weaker ones.

Shouta

Man, I just did Stage 38a and the end of that stage...

You take on the Mycene after stage 37 which is the Photon Laboratory fight in Shin Mazinger Z: Shougeki-hen. Goes pretty normally until the end of the stage where Kouji ignores the order to retreat and takes on Hades 1v1. He gets beat but then gets Mazinger Z to evolve into Mazinger Zero and just blasts Hades to bit. The animation on the Photon Beam is just holy shit. The face of Mazinger Zero is chilling.

Leezard

I just got the level 4 factory upgrade that says "Give your pilots 10 focus when attacking", but it's just a bad translation. It really gives them 10 focus on sortie. It was kinda to be expected due to the nature of the other level 4 upgrades and that 10 focus on attack would be insanely broken.

Just a heads up in case anyone has not gotten the level 4 upgrade yet.

Yeah, as I mentioned before, a lot of mistranslation. Some SR requirements are totally different from the original Japanese texts. For example, in stage 20 the Eng SR is "defeat 20 enemies" but in fact you need to clear the map to get SR.

So general SRW question:
Does V or any licensed game ever really address the sheer power disparity between your units? Like it seems laughable pretending an Aestevalis is going to make any difference in a battle where Mazinger Zero or Gunbuster is present.

It'd be like sending Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Krillin out to a fight and insisting that it's a duo with equal partners

Deepwater

So general SRW question:
Does V or any licensed game ever really address the sheer power disparity between your units? Like it seems laughable pretending an Aestevalis is going to make any difference in a battle where Mazinger Zero or Gunbuster is present.

It'd be like sending Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Krillin out to a fight and insisting that it's a duo with equal partners

Although the only representation we really see in the scale of battles in SRW we really only see in the cinematic openings. The only justification is that most mechs like Gunbuster, TTGL, or Shin Getter Robo don't appear until 2/3 of the way into the game. And by that point you're usually fighting hoards of enemies anyway.

SRW also tries to represent this with Mech sizes, as small units like Aestavalis have an "Small" ranking, and units like Daitarn 3 having an "XL". There's usually a damage modifier when small units attack Large units, and there's an accuracy penalty the other way around.

SRW usually accounts for power levels through both units and pilots though. My favorite example of this is in Super Robot Wars Z, where Renton from Eureka 7 had shitty stat gains up until around level 50, where he then became easily a top 5 pilot in the game. It's cool because it sort of represents his progress in the actual show's plot.

Although the best example of a low power unit beating the shit out of giant monsters and extra dimensional dragons when it has no right to is in SRW Z2/Z3 with Chirico and his Scopedog. Although that's more because Chirico is basically God and the game reflects that he can basically beat the shit out of anything even in a shitty mech like a scopedog

Teknoman

Im going to have to find a perfect match for Gunleon's Makenaize theme. Would love to hear it in a game that I can actually understand.

So general SRW question:

Nope.

SRW follows the Justice League method of handling power levels.

That is to say it basically ignores them because come on Batman and Superman teaming up is soo cool.

Loona

This Daitarn/Nadesico thing. People are right about the level of crossover in this game.

IIRC both settings have something related to Mars, I guess they play with that a bit?

I haven't watch Daitarn 3, but everything I read about that makes me think the sheer clash of tones between character like EVA's Shinji and Daitarn's Banjou could be fun, but I'm not sure show that's played out in the games where they met.
Now that I think about it Asuka leaning on Banjou as an alternative to Kaji would make some sense...

Top Bottom