• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

PK Gaming

Nope, the KI characters who were Assist Trophies were recast in Smash 4 (likely since the originals were unionized VAs).

Oh yeah, forgot about Phosphora and Magnus

I believe someone who's a sound alike for Hynden Walch is also in the credit? Don't remember her name off the top of my head.

She's uncredited, though i'm 99.997% sure that it's Hynden Walch. Nobody could match that incredibly distinct voice!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Art of the Day

r9EEoVX.jpg

Between that and Marth/Roy almost being JP exclusive in Melee, it seems Sakurai isn't too crazy on including JP only characters.

Yep, that's why Sakurai always being dismissive toward to Takamaru as playable character because his game used to be Japan only but now they finally release his game in EU and NA. I'm very curious to see what is his reason for future iteration.

I'm glad that the team fought for Roy and Marth to stay in US and EU version.

You and me both. I'd take him and Ivysaur over Charizard any day.

I miss all cut characters, but Wolf and Squirtle I think hit me the hardest.

I'd never want Charizard replaced though. I like Charizard more than Squirtle.

With Squirtle, I just don't think he'll ever be back. At least with Wolf there's always hope, but I don't have that hope with Squirtle.

The question is

Are we getting snake back?

The answer to that is no.

The other question is whether the third parties will be back for smash NX. It's probably an easier sell to promise people a cut of each dlc sale than a small percentage of a disc rrp (which would have to be less by default,).

Cloud is the only third party I'd be concerned with. Sonic isn't being cut, so Bayo is safe, and Mega Man and Ryu are the same company, so they probably come together as well and I don't see either being cut as both are big deals in Smash and attached to Nintendo's history. Not a chance in hell Pac Man goes anywhere, not with Miyamoto around.

When downloading some custom music for this game, I noticed something interesting about the victory themes.

A2KBPG1.png

Unlike in Brawl (as seen on the right), it would appear that each and every single character has their own victory music slot. So that means you could download a custom theme for Dr. Mario but it won't effect the other Mario characters.

Crazy stuff. It does make sense with Rosalina, Bowser/Bowser Jr. and Dark Pit having their own themes, but it makes me wonder if Sakurai was planning on giving each character their own victory jingle sometime in development. I remember reading it was planned for Brawl but was scrapped, with the exception of Meta Knight's. Either way, it's modding paradise right here.

Golnei

Cloud is the only third party I'd be concerned with. Sonic isn't being cut, so Bayo is safe, and Mega Man and Ryu are the same company, so they probably come together as well and I don't see either being cut as both are big deals in Smash and attached to Nintendo's history. Not a chance in hell Pac Man goes anywhere, not with Miyamoto around.

And especially since Namco being the ones to develop future games isn't too unlikely - a Brawl/KIU situation probably isn't going to happen again. I'd agree about Cloud being the most uncertain out of all of them - even if he's licensed for future games, it'd be interesting to see if they manage to work in a broader amount of general FF stuff, or if it'll remain as constrained as what came with his DLC appearance.

Unless Square has a Konami-level meltdown I think Cloud will return. Sakurai takes great measures to ensure all of his babies come back.

Also, Snake's improbable comeback is very high on my list of characters I want in, even though I never played MGS.

Neoxon

Even then, Nintendo & Square-Enix's relationship improved starting with the DS onwards.

After what happened with Snake, Sakurai likely took measures to ensure that the third parties would be likely to return in future installments.

Golnei

When downloading some custom music for this game, I noticed something interesting about the victory themes.

A2KBPG1.png

Unlike in Brawl (as seen on the right), it would appear that each and every single character has their own victory music slot. So that means you could download a custom theme for Dr. Mario but it won't effect the other Mario characters.

Crazy stuff. It does make sense with Rosalina, Bowser/Bowser Jr. and Dark Pit having their own themes, but it makes me wonder if Sakurai was planning on giving each character their own victory jingle sometime in development. I remember reading it was planned for Brawl but was scrapped, with the exception of Meta Knight's. Either way, it's modding paradise right here.

That is really interesting - I hope this means it has some chance of becoming a reality for future games, officially. Weirdly enough, this is probably the biggest factor pushing me towards trying out any SSB4 mods...

Hey, not every character can have new victory themes! All three Miis would have to share one with mods.

Even then, Nintendo & Square-Enix's relationship improved starting with the DS onwards.

After what happened with Snake, Sakurai likely took measures to ensure that the third parties would be likely to return in future installments.

This too. I think the contracts probably were more open for negotiations for sequels. Brawl it seems like Snake just sort of happened, and Sonic was an after thought, while every third party in Smash 4 feels focused, planned and organized.

Clov

I like this thread. Here's to more Fire Emblem characters next time round.

I'd like some more as well, though I hope they add some more magic focused ones next time.

Though there's plenty for now; Fire Emblem has a great range of representation at this point. What I really want in Smash NX are more Zelda characters! I think Tetra would be a good choice. If I had to pick any character, it would be Tingle, but assuming Smash NX is an upgraded Smash 4 then it's likely he'd stay as an assist trophy. I'd love Midna and Wolf Link as well, but again, Midna's an assist trophy.

Richie

With Pokémon's 20th anniversary (even if it'll be the 21th by the time this releases lol), and the invoked nostalgia for R/B/Y, it'd be really easy to justify Squirtle and even Ivysaur's return. In a world with six Fire Emblem characters we can stand to have eight Pokémon ones.

Neoxon

With Pokémon's 20th anniversary (even if it'll be the 21th by the time this releases lol), and the invoked nostalgia for R/B/Y, it'd be really easy to justify Squirtle and even Ivysaur's return. In a world with six Fire Emblem characters we can stand to have eight Pokémon ones.
In the case of Fire Emblem, Nintendo now considers it a major franchise.

I'd like some more as well, though I hope they add some more magic focused ones next time.

Though there's plenty for now; Fire Emblem has a great range of representation at this point. What I really want in Smash NX are more Zelda characters! I think Tetra would be a good choice. If I had to pick any character, it would be Tingle, but assuming Smash NX is an upgraded Smash 4 then it's likely he'd stay as an assist trophy. I'd love Midna and Wolf Link as well, but again, Midna's an assist trophy.

Zelda is a tough one. Look at something like Hyrule Warriors and the majority of the cast could easily fit into Smash no problem, yet no single one character really stands out amongst the rest. If I had to choose a single rep I think will get in it would be Impa just because she seems the safest choice what with her being a prominent side character in over 4 games at this point. My personal choice though would be either Zant or Ghirahim and while the former has no chance, Ghirahim is still relatively popular I guess, and has the Assist trophy status so maybe he has a chance? Probably not though.

Regardless, the next Smash (or the NX remaster if it does include new fighters) needs another Zelda character that isn't a Link clone.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
No idea what was with some of the other reports though. Some of them were totally made up. The pre-Brawl days were good times.

Yeah, those days were great.

When ROB was leaked in name only so many were in denial of the greatest toy on earth after Buzz Lightyear being playable they convinced themselves it was actually going to be ROB 64 from Star Fox.

Hey, remember how people convinced themselves that we are going to get Roy Koopalings when we saw the leaks with Roy on it. The situation is understandable because the game itself wasn't even out yet.

Funny enough, that's how some people tried to debunk Mii Fighters being in Smash 4 before they were announced. "How could they be playable when they're in the background of the Find Mii stage?"

Remember how people kept thinking that Toon Link got disconfirmed because he made his appearance in the stage.

I think Impa would be a good character, even though she's still just supporting cast. Her SS design was popular enough to come to HW, and she's a series regular.

So I asked PushDustin about the Lucas thing and apparently it came from an untranslated 2008 Nintendo Dream interview. I'd like to see that.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Smash is like

Ecstasy for the imagination

Can't even imagine the amount of (crappy) fanart I drew of the characters doing wacky stuff as a kid

Yep, I usually don't follow fan arts that much but I always enjoy Smash Bros fan arts and comics because it's interesting to see them interacting in creators' mindsets.

Unless Square has a Konami-level meltdown I think Cloud will return. Sakurai takes great measures to ensure all of his babies come back.

Also, Snake's improbable comeback is very high on my list of characters I want in, even though I never played MGS.
This too. I think the contracts probably were more open for negotiations for sequels. Brawl it seems like Snake just sort of happened, and Sonic was an after thought, while every third party in Smash 4 feels focused, planned and organized.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that they already planned for Smash NX Development before or during DLC Development so they probably went back and ask them to work on license agreement for future iteration or something like that.

That's why I hope to see a Pokemon newcomer from Pokemon Sun and Moon in upcoming Smash NX if we are going to get new characters.. I think it might be Grass Starter this time.

Clov

Impa would be a good choice too! She's been around long enough, and would be fun to play as. I wouldn't mind having Linkle playable either honestly. She could have a pretty neat moveset.

In terms of Pokemon, I wouldn't mind a few more being added. It's one of Nintendo's best selling franchises, so it certainly has earned it! There's plenty of popular ones to choose from too.
I don't care what anyone else says, I really want a playable Sylveon. It would be so cute!

Yea, it's weird they didn't source it. They usually do.

For those of you who haven't seen the quote comes from a Nintendo Dream Interview (2008) that is currently not available in English. Sorry that we haven't gotten to the translation yet -- the backlog is huge. Over 500 columns, thousands of pages on the older websites, dozens of interviews...there's a lot to do still.

For #SmashTrivia, we post the sources in groups of 50. #SmashTrivia is just a fun daily thing we do on our Twitter account. The daily facts are organized by Frostwraith. I believe the previous set of #SmashTrivia sources is actually pinned to our Twitter account, if you guys want to check those out.

Anyway, hope this reply helped! If you guys are ever looking for a particular quote/source just hit us up on Twitter.

MomoQca

Why is Elma such an unpopular choice on NeoGAF? She's a highly requested character on Smashboards and is even among the top 10 (or 20?) most requested in one of the threads.

And how can you NOT want this one too? Seriously, don't look if you haven't beat Xenoblade Chronicles X.

[Redacted gif image due to spoiler tags not working on mobile devices]

Jawmuncher

Why is Elma such an unpopular choice on NeoGAF? She's a highly requested character on Smashboards and is even among the top 10 (or 20?) most requested in one of the threads.

And how can you NOT want this one too? Seriously, don't look if you haven't beat Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Because she's not snake.

Clov

Elma would be great as a second Xenoblade character! Maybe she could use some of Snake's moves, so he would live on in spirit.

Richie

So Elma gets cooler as the game progresses? I'm only a few hours in but she hasn't left much of an impression. If I had to choose a playable someone based on my limited playtime, I'd go for the geeky teen lol

A2KBPG1.png

Do you by any chance have the whole list for the characters, I wonder how far down the list Shulk and Bowser Jr are, considering that they were some of the last few characters added?

Top Bottom