• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

I wouldn't mind seeing a playable Wolf Link and Midna

Yeah that was pretty much a staple of my teenage self's dream smash newcomers list.

golden sun rep
advance wars rep
Saki promoted to playable
Wolf Link and Midna
Ganon as pig monster
Kid link with masks, before transformations went away.

edit: and i guess tom nook and mega man, but villager was better than anything I dreamed up for an AC rep.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
https://pvplive.net/c/smash-for-switch-fall-release-amiibo-new-character

So is there any ounce of validity to this speculation, or is this just a mighty reach. I figure information is scarce enough to chew at these table scraps.

Well, it's full of speculation and assumptions which isn't bad thing. There is a chance that we could get alt costume Amiibo, like Female Corrin but it haven't happens before yet so no one really know.

I wouldn't be surprised if Smash for Switch is going to be release in Fall 2017 or Early 2018, and if Dr. Toto is right about the game being in development in Jan 2016 so the game have been in development for nearly 14 months.

Well, it's full of speculation and assumptions which isn't bad thing. There is a chance that we could get alt costume Amiibo, like Female Corrin but it haven't happens before yet so no one really know.

There's "*technically*" ROB, but that was because of regional differences

It would be nice if Nintendo could reprint certain amiibo when the time is needed for it, like all Zelda series related amiibo for Breath of the Wild's release...... but they won't

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
that feel when they made those amiibos you want at the time where they are seen as irrelevant

...no wait actually that's a good thing, means Bayonetta amiibo would be easy to find!

Zubz

Banned
We definitely aren't getting a DLC character. At this point, I'm definitely going to expect several newcomers in the Switch version of 4, which I also definitely expect.

in any case they missed a sale from me, I would have bought a Wolf amiibo but noooo

... Until I saw this post about Wolf, I had no idea this was Doggie.

Zubz

Banned
Out of curiosity, does anyone else think we'll see 2 Konami characters right off the bat in a Switch version? Snake's a veteran, so they could probably slip him & Bomberman in together without it seeming jarring.

what threw you off? :p

The lack of bountiful pecs and washboard abs in your avatar.

Golnei

Surely there should be some appropriate fanart of BOTW's Lynels to use by now, if you absolutely needed to keep it current.

Sponge

Banned
Anyone else think we're getting only one new character after hearing about the four Smash amiibo on Nintendo's website?

PK Gaming

I need not remind you that all promotional art and the history of Robin indicates that female Corrin does not even exist in the eyes of Nintendo and you are better off forgetting she even exists.

Female Robin = / = Female Corrin in terms of relevance though.

Female Corrin's been used over her male counterpart during promotions (ie: FE:Heroes trailer), is getting a figma/nendoroid, and is much more popular. I'm not saying she's getting an amiibo (it's Joker, from Persona 5), but she definitely exists in the eyes of Nintendo.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Female Robin = / = Female Corrin in terms of relevance though.

Female Corrin's been used over her male counterpart during promotions (ie: FE:Heroes trailer), is getting a figma/nendoroid, and is much more popular. I'm not saying she's getting an amiibo (it's Joker, from Persona 5), but she definitely exists in the eyes of Nintendo.

I'm pretty sure that post is pure satire because he probably made a mock of someone.

So I recently had the wonderful opportunity to speak with Tomoya Tomita, the composer behind Yoshi's Woolly World, Kirby's Epic Yarn and Wario Land: Shake It!, and he shared something very interesting regarding Brawl. You guys know how it's accepted Wario's victory theme originated from the Stonecarving City theme in Shake It? Well...that may not actually be the case!

For context, he's something he answers right before:

Minako Hamano-san is also listed as a music credit. Did you two collaborate together?

We didn't actually collaborate. Right when I began the project, Nintendo sent me three pieces used in previous Wario titles (one of which was Greenhorn Ruins) and said, ”Here—use these." I imagine Hamano-san composed those.

Now here's where things get interesting. When I went on to ask him about the Brawl song, he replied with this:

In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Wario's victory theme was an arrangement of the Stonecarving City theme from Shake It!, which hadn't yet come out. Were you involved in this special cameo?

No, that was another piece I received from Nintendo. I didn't do anything for Brawl.

So...the song didn't actually come from Shake It. As both Shake It and Brawl were in development around the same time, it's possible his arrangement was somehow borrowed without his knowledge, but that he received it from Nintendo gives me pause on that idea. The only Wario game Hamano composed for was Wario World, so maybe it came from there? I haven't played it in forever, so I haven't had time to check.

What do you guys think?

jnWake

Nice interview! The Epic Yarn part was nice since I love that soundtrack. Will definitely track down that piano sample he used lol.

Nice interview! The Epic Yarn part was nice since I love that soundtrack. Will definitely track down that piano sample he used lol.

Thanks! I'm still sad we never got any Epic Yarn music in Smash 4 (or content, in general). :(

Please do! A quick scan through Wario World music on YouTube hasn't yielded anything obvious...

So I recently had the wonderful opportunity to speak with Tomoya Tomita, the composer behind Yoshi's Woolly World, Kirby's Epic Yarn and Wario Land: Shake It!

Yo, this is cool, almost overlooked this.

I guess that Wario jingle could've been one of the pieces given to him alongside Greenhorn Ruins, an previously unused one?

edit: That personal anecdote at the end, who's cutting onions?! I wasn't prepared for this!

YO CHECK OUT THE FRAME PERFECT STREAM OUR BOI POLTERGUST TOOK OUT EARTH

Ooh, exciting!

Yo, this is cool, almost overlooked this.

I guess that Wario jingle could've been one of the pieces given to him alongside Greenhorn Ruins, an previously unused one?

edit: That personal anecdote at the end, who's cutting onions?! I wasn't prepared for this!

We know it was one of the pieces given to him, although it being unused is something I hadn't considered. That'd be even more kooky!

Believe it or not, initially I wasn't going to include that anecdote since as mentioned I already shared that with Tomita when I reached out to him and I didn't want to take the focus away from his work, but as it was my first interview I wanted the ending to leave a strong impression and that immediately came to mind, so I snuck it in for my final draft.

Sami+

Kirihara is so fucking good wow.

Frame Perfect was a lot of fun, I'm omw home now from Orlando. Got to meet SuperGirlKels and get some friendlies + a controller signature, she's hella nice in person. I placed 5th in my pool which is eh, but I'm getting closer to where I want to be. One of these days I'll finally make it out.

YO CHECK OUT THE FRAME PERFECT STREAM OUR BOI POLTERGUST TOOK OUT EARTH

oh jeez that's why that tag sounded familiar. I didn't make the connection. guess i'm mostly a lurker though.

good stuff. an inspiration to random dudes on the internet everywhere. I'll think of this while i'm busy drowning in pools at my local on saturday.

WILD LINK Awakens!

Wild Link would represent BOTW as a whole. His default costume is the iconic Champion's Tunic, complete with lack of hat. His Alts would include some of the other noteworthy armors, such as the Zora Set. One in particular is the Bokoblin Mask, complete with red-dyed tunic. This costume even changes Wild Link's idle animation!

W. Link's moveset incorporates many of the mechanics that make up BOTW. He spawns into a match wielding a Traveler's Sword. This sword gives him a standard moveset that is reminiscent of the standard Link, with minor differences. However, after landing enough hits, the sword shatters. The attack that breaks the sword deals doubled damage and knockback, making it deadly if timed right. Once the sword breaks, W. Link's next Standard attack will cause him to pull out a new weapon. Jab will pull out a new Traveler's Sword. F-Tilt or F-Smash pulls out a Woodcutter's Axe. The Axe is a heavy hitting, slow swinging weapon. The Axe has higher durability than the Sword, but its slowness makes it difficult to capitalize on. U-Tilt or U-Smash brings out a Lizal Spear. The Spear is long and fast, but its durability is low. The Spear is excellent for poking at foes. Finally, D-Tilt or D-Smash brings out a Knight's Claymore. The Claymore is similar to the Sword, but is much larger, requiring two hands. The Claymore hits hard, but is slightly slower than even the Axe. The Claymore has respectable durability.

Normally, W. Link would have to use these weapons until they broke, but by holding the Grab button, he can throw his current weapon. How far it flies depends on the weapon, but the throw always deals damage equal to that weapon's F-Tilt. If a weapon is heavily damaged, the throw will cause it to break on impact, complete with the boosted damage and knockback.

Wild Link's Specials generally rely on the Sheikah Slate, but incorporate other techniques as well. The Standard Special is Remote Bombs. With a simple press of the B button, W. Link generates a glowing blue bomb. He can throw the bomb wherever he likes and then detonate it with the B button. The blast can damage W. Link, so be careful! The Side Special is Flurry Rush. Once B is pressed, W. Link hops backwards. If this hop successfully dodges an attack, W. Link automatically rushes to the foe and attacks at lightning speed. This causes him to automatically land 3-5 hits on the foe, depending on his weapon. This move can break a weapon, which will still apply the damage and knockback bonus. The Up Special is Revalli's Gale. This move causes W. Link to rapidly ascend a short distance. This plays into the unique mechanics of his jump. Finally, the Down Special is Magnesis. Using this move pulls a large metal box from the stage. From here, W. Link can freely manipulate the box within a certain radius. The box is rather heavy, and slamming it into opponents deals damage. Only one box can be on stage, and the box lasts until it is knocked off the stage.

In addition to his weapon swap mechanic, Wild Link also boasts some unique movement mechanics. For starters, by holding the Jump button, Wild Link can pull out his trusty Paraglider. This slows his fall and gives him incomparable aerial control, but limits his offensive capabilities. Once the Paraglider is open, it cannot be closed until Wild Link lands. Only two moves can be used from the Paraglider: Remote Bombs and Revalli's Gale. Additionally, Wild Link can scale walls for a limited distance. This aids his recovery, but can spell his doom if he attempts to climb a wall that is too tall to scale. Finally, by holding Shield in midair, Wild Link can surf on his Rusty Shield. This is mostly a novelty, but has some merit on stages with large slopes.

What would a new character be without a stage?

Enter the Shrine of Aku Sari! Based on the many Shrines in BOTW, Aku Sari's Shrine is a peaceful indoor stage. Despite being indoors, Star KO's are still possible. The stage has minimal hazards, and is overseen by a meditating Sheikah Monk. Aku Sari's Shrine is meant to be a simple stage that lends players an opportunity to focus on combat.

What do you folks think?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
QcLTep1.png

I do not mind to see this feature in Smash Bros so it would give camera feature more purpose to use.

Zyrox

Speaking of Link, he got third at Civil War, the most stacked Smash 4 tournament yet. Boy that was a crazy and fun tournament.

Unrelated, but I stumbled upon a cool fan video that shows codec conversations for Smash 4's newcomers (and returning Melee vets), pretty well made, laughed a few times:
https://youtu.be/DpJt3gwrUV4

Bring him back Sakurai pls

Top Bottom