• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Since people finally "crossed" the theory, Saving Amiibo for Smash for Switch release date since it might not be in case for those last 6 Amiibo since we haven't heard anything about Smash for Switch yet.

So we still have other rumor(s) and information to follow up with.

Well, Dr. Toto said that Smash for NX is in development (he tweeted it in Jan 2016 so I presume that that's when they may start their development) and he presumed that Smash NX is going to be a launch title. Dr. Toto haven't been wrong with his sources and rumors so far, and he have a reliable source.

serkanrqsu0.png

serkanpart2nou10.png

Source: https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/692755598497046528

I don't think Smash for Switch is going to be a launch title but I think it's going to be out by next year. During Jan 2016, Sakurai already commented that he would have a new project ready for him so we don't know if it's Smash-related or a brand new project. Also he commented that he bought a robot figurine so he could use the gun for his upcoming project.

Before people going to mention that Sakurai is on vacation. He already clarified that he's taking a breather, rather than a break.

If Sakurai chose to work on something else new. It don't meant Smash Bros is out of question, since it's plausible that Smash for Switch might be in the work, with Sakurai in small capacity, or without Sakurai, like Sakurai stay in position via Producer or so. Also the gun that he just purchased, I wonder if it's for new game project, or would it be used as prop for Inkling moveset animation concept for Smash Bros project? (Source:SourceGaming, Sakurai's GDC 2008 powerpoint)

I know it's pretty much everyone's question with upcoming Smash project? Is it enhanced port with new contents? or Is it going to be Smash 5? No one knows. It's a complete new situation for Sakurai and the fans, since Wii U kinda ended early. I meant Sakurai actually made Melee like two years after Smash Bros (64). If Dr. Toto is right about Smash for Switch being in development, then the development already went on for 14 months. However it's plausible that the development is complete and Nintendo is sitting on it so they could wait for a right time to announce and release.

I don't really think they're going to call it Super Smash 4 Deluxe, and if Sakurai's upcoming project is going to be Smash Bros for Switch (Only if he's more involved with the project.) then I would believe that we are going to see some new contents than some people expected to.

Yeah, we should keep our pants on until E3.

Like Heath said, we can cross the idea that they were holding back the amiibos until whenever a Smash Bros for Switch came out. But that line of thinking, specifically, was always nothing more than a theory based purely on speculation. Namco are obviously working on something Smash Bros. related and it was never going to be announced before E3.

Either way I still think it's pretty lame that Male Wii Fit Trainer, Female Robin, Alph, and all the whole alt costumes don't have their own amiibos and yet all the DLC guys do.

Unless they plan on doing them all later.

NeonZ

I think these Amiibos being released before the game, and still no announcement at this point, pretty much rules out a straight port.

Zubz

Banned
I think these Amiibos being released before the game, and still no announcement at this point, pretty much rules out a straight port.

Yup. My guess is that a port'd launch with enough characters to justify at least one more run.

I think I'm now feeling pretty strongly that "Smash for Switch" as we've been imagining it (as in, Smash for Wii U Deluxe) doesn't exist and the Smash Bros. that does come out for the Switch will be a proper sequel and if it is mentioned at E3 at all it will be a simple confirmation that it exists and we will have to wait until next year to see anything.

I think I'm now feeling pretty strongly that "Smash for Switch" as we've been imagining it (as in, Smash for Wii U Deluxe) doesn't exist and the Smash Bros. that does come out for the Switch will be a proper sequel and if it is mentioned at E3 at all it will be a simple confirmation that it exists and we will have to wait until next year to see anything.

That makes the most sense, so people won't believe you.

You know, something I think most of us forgot about was all the total amount count Sakurai did at the end of the final broadcast/presentation back in 2015.

4rIbgSg.png

I re-watched that whole sequence and it just seemed very obvious Sakurai was so done with Smash 4 at that point, lol. Deep down, I always felt it'd be really bizarre of him to look back at it all and count the total amount of characters, stages, etc as a way to cap it all off, only just to turn around and say "lol jk here's more shit".

So yeah, I'm with Green Mamba. I was optimistic about this for awhile, but now I don't think it's happening. Although, I think it's possible Sakurai might of just moved on a new project altogether that isn't Smash (Kid Icarus sequel pleeeeease) and we'll probably just have to wait several more years for the next Smash.

Man, I'm gonna probably be nearing my 30s by then. :/

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't think people should freak out or being worried about Smash for Switch. It's unlikely Smash Bros would skip the hardware. Just wait for E3 and see what happens.

I don't think people should freak out or being worried about Smash for Switch. It's unlikely Smash Bros would skip the hardware. Just wait for E3 and see what happens.

Oh, I'm sure we'll get a Smash Bros. game for Switch. It's just probably not gonna be a direct port of the Wii U game and thus will probably be years off.

Yeah, this is a pretty big blow to the Switch port rumor. I really do wonder why they held off on the amiibo if that ends up being wrong.

I'll still hold out until E3, but if it actually exists, I imagine it'll have no new characters.

(please don't let my dreams of Smash Run HD die aaaaahhhhhh)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Oh, I'm sure we'll get a Smash Bros. game for Switch. It's just probably not gonna be a direct port of the Wii U game and thus will probably be years off.

I'm fine with waiting if needed since there is Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite for me and some people here.

Yeah, this is a pretty big blow to the Switch port rumor. I really do wonder why they held off on the amiibo if that ends up being wrong.

I'll still hold out until E3, but if it actually exists, I imagine it'll have no new characters.

If you are talking about Dr. Toto's Smash for Switch rumor. He said that he don't know if it's a port or new Smash. Well, if the rumor is right, then the game have been in development for 12-14 months.

I know rumor is rumor, and we should have low expectations on those rumors since rumors often don't panned out.

If you are talking about Dr. Toto's Smash for Switch rumor. He said that he don't know if it's a port or new Smash. Well, if the rumor is right, then the game have been in development for 12-14 months.

I know rumor is rumor, and we should have low expectations on those rumors since rumors often don't panned out.

It's possible I goofed it up with some other rumor? lol

Honestly, I'm kinda in the same boat as TheDinoman in that it seemed weird Sakurai would build upon an already complete game especially if he moved on to a new project, so for the the past half-year my theory was that he'd simply leave it to Namco to just combine the games' content.

There's old people here. Old people shouldn't be playing children's games.

Go back to playing games that mature citizens can truly appreciate
like Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code

Metal B

As if they would have shown Smash on a random Direct. Smash was always a showstopper on every E3 (see Melee, Brawl and Smash 4) and announced very early in the lifetime of a Nintendo console. There will be a Smash at this E3. The question will be, if it is a new game (which will take a few years), a port or both.

Neoxon

I mean, unless they reuse Smash 4 assets, I'd imagine that an actual sequel would be several years out unless Nintendo somehow convinced Sakurai to jump straight to the next game.

Either way, I'll give it until E3 before I rule out a port of Smash 4.

You honestly think they would spill the bean through Twitter? I'm not saying that Smash for Switch would happens at E3, but I'm just saying that they wouldn't leak any new games via twitter, by Nintendo. They are going to say things that we already know. :p

If you still want to insist that it's in case, then you could say those three characters are going to be last Smash Amiibo, and we wouldn't get any more Amiibo for Smash franchise. :p

Honestly no but even so I'm just dialling down my hoped and dreams.

PK Gaming

I don't think my body can handle another Smash Bros game atm. Having to wait all over again...The predictions...oh christ

(please don't let my dreams of Smash Run HD die aaaaahhhhhh)

best theory i got is market saturation.there are so many dang amiibo now.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
You poor soul. I'm already in my 30s and I barely can lift my fingers to hold a controller.

Man, Y'all whippersnappers! Here I'm in my 50s, and every time I play Smash Bros or any games, I kept feeling my fingers crackling and popping. It sucks that I couldn't even move my middle fingers because it hurts so much to move it. It's swollen as knots.

No worries! I always tough it out and deals with the pains. No Pain, No Gain!

Zubz

Banned
Man, Y'all whippersnappers! Here I'm in my 50s, and every time I play Smash Bros or any games, I kept feeling my fingers crackling and popping. It sucks that I couldn't even move my middle fingers because it hurts so much to move it. It's swollen as knots.

Huh. I genuinely had no idea you were in your 50s.

Damn, you old enough to be my daddy!

Both are considered the best in the game.

Great!

I know you're not asking me but:
Cloud feels very similar to Marth in that he's quite nimble to play (though his sword hitting feels heftier than Marth's). I didn't give him too much time since I don't own him and only tried him out at a friend's place, but that's the impression I got when trying him, and also seeing him played. Cloud though has a lot more depth to him than Marth due to his unique mechanics, particularly the Limit Break one.

Bayonetta is a bit weird to play because she's nothing like any other character in Smash before, but she feels super good. She has a shitload of options, can combo, can tack on damage easily with her guns, and has insane aerial mobility. Her biggest weakness are probably her smash attacks, but it's not all that bad. Honestly she almost feels more like an MvC character than a Smash character lol.

Yeah that's what I meant to say

*cough*

Personally Bayo feels weird because you have to be on point all the fucking time. I miss how ridiculously overpowered she was before they nerfed her, but she's still strong as hell.

I was wondering how hard would it be to try and get into Smash 4 competitively at this point? I used to be one of the best in my region years ago in Soul Calibur and Tekken and made some money and a Wii U is the only current system I own. I need to make some money and since I had success in the past I could likely do it again. I just need a game and way out to make it to tournaments because I stopped years ago because people stopped wanting to give me a ride.

I was wondering how hard would it be to try and get into Smash 4 competitively at this point? I used to be one of the best in my region years ago in Soul Calibur and Tekken and made some money and a Wii U is the only current system I own. I need to make some money and since I had success in the past I could likely do it again. I just need a game and way out to make it to tournaments because I stopped years ago because people stopped wanting to give me a ride.

If you already have a background in fighting games, I don't think it'd be too hard for you to pick up Smash 4. I would at least give it a try.

RomanceDawn

Now that so much time seems to be passing since the release of Smash Wii U and the end of the DLC I'm slowly easing into the thought that the next Smash will be brand new and will be out by next year. The engine will be roughly the same I'm sure with almost all the characters but with newer everything. Yeah.

You aint paying gas or what? Aint no free rides 'round here!

Now that so much time seems to be passing since the release of Smash Wii U and the end of the DLC I'm slowly easing into the thought that the next Smash will be brand new and will be out by next year. The engine will be roughly the same I'm sure with almost all the characters but with newer everything. Yeah.

Man, I dunno. After the amiibo showed up I've just been deflated on the possibility of Smash Switch.

If it exists, then as said before I've been tempering my expectations to have most, if not all, of the 3DS stages and Smash Run included and that's it.

Man, I dunno. After the amiibo showed up I've just been deflated on the possibility of Smash Switch.

If it exists, then as said before I've been tempering my expectations to have most, if not all, of the 3DS stages and Smash Run included and that's it.

An HD Smash Run would get me to buy a Switch for Smash ASAP. I sunk so many hours into it on 3DS, LOL.

Top Bottom