• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Golden Style from Tomodachi Life and Dungeon Man from Earthbound.

So Darumeshi and Rusty are both in the game?

Thanks. Now the count is 641
http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Trophies_in_Super_Smash_Bros._for_Nintendo_3DS/_Wii_U
Also updated the imgur gallery
http://imgur.com/a/bXgI1#0
and here's the list of trophies I'm presume in the game but haven't confirmed them

Lemmy
Morton Jr.
Chef (Game & Watch)
Milotic

Shadow the Hedgehog

Blue Shell
Boss Galaga
Capsule
Grass
Hothead
POW Block
Special Flag
X-Bomb

Bullet Bill
Chandelure
Yellow Ghost (Find Mii)
Blue Kritter - maybe
Poe
16 bit Cucco - maybe

I need some help Identifying these.

Also found the American version of Rusty
The bottom one is from Earthbound. Its called the (Brick Road) Dungeon Man.

Earthbound Minor Spoilers regarding Brick Road
Brick Road is a maze in the game created by a man called Brick Road. He later in the becomes a dungeon and becomes the Dungeon Man.

Would they really need to be credited for that? Plus, I think it'd be weird for them to go to the trouble of getting Camelot's permission for something and not get their permission to include Golden Sun content. It'd be like asking Gamefreak to have a Jill Drozer trophy and not including any references to Pokemon.

There are trophy models directly from Mario Golf and Mario Tennis, so it makes sense that they'd be credited, as their assets are being used.

Hatchtag

Banned
There are trophy models directly from Mario Golf and Mario Tennis, so it makes sense that they'd be credited, as their assets are being used.

Yeah, I know that, but still. It feels like it'd be kind of dumb to get Camelot's permission to use those things and not get their permission for Golden Sun stuff. Even if that stuff appeared only on the Wii U version, which it very well could.

Xane

Impressive stuff. Sorry for an impatient question but are the source files are 22050Hz then; Kid Icarus had similar quality for anyone worried by that number (would have been nice to have the 32KHz instead for smash, well there is always the Wii U version).

The source material is in 20khz, sadly. I'm certain the WiiU version will be up to Nintendo-standards again (32khz).

WonderzL

Banned
Yeah, I know that, but still. It feels like it'd be kind of dumb to get Camelot's permission to use those things and not get their permission for Golden Sun stuff. Even if that stuff appeared only on the Wii U version, which it very well could.
Golden Sun isn't that important, you know...

Also, one more DKCR trophy. ;_; wii u stage pls
R7GMmbyh.jpg

I just got a pop up that I assume was telling me that I'd just played 150 rounds of smash run, out of interest I decided to check how many custom moves I'd unlocked in total, and that number was 145 (out of a possible 408 - not counting specials that are automatically unlocked at the start of the game (Palutena, Mii).

That means that I technically get less than 1 new custom special per smash run on average.

Now, a Smash Run game takes 5 minutes, with a 1 or 2 minute mini-game afterwards (let's call it 1 and a half minutes), add on top of that about 30 seconds of loading screens and character selecting and you have about 8 minutes to get yourself 0.97 special moves. This means, to get a "guaranteed" new custom move, you need to spend 8 minutes and 15 seconds of game time

Now if we extend this in the opposite direction to find out how long it should take to get every custom move, it gives us 56 hours. 56 hours of Smash Run to get all Custom Moves.

I thought this number might have been way off but I multiplied 8 minutes and 15 seconds by the number of custom moves I had and got 19 hours and 55 minutes, checked my total play time for Smash Bros. and it's at 49 hours and 38 minutes, so that number might not be too far off after all.

Someone let me know if my Math was wrong but it seems to all check out, and it's insane.

Fake edit: Oh wait, damn, it's 7 minutes not 8, but that just means it's 1 minute less per custom move which means it takes it down to ~50 hours of Smash Run to unlock all customs.
A thing to consider is there might be abilities or powers to make more moves appear (btw according to tips slower characters can equip more, that explains why Zelda can use more than Zero suit Samus; wear heavier clothing Samus :p).

The other obvious thing is apparently you get slightly more moves for the character you are currently playing as.

A smash run (and I think the game in general) you only take away the last 10 things you picked up. So avoid gold and only pick up moves if possible.

Also it is like trophies, you will get dupes so early on you will unlock more new moves than later on. This will make the last few moves hell to get.

I think more data is needed for an exact time.

JoeInky

A thing to consider is there might be abilities or powers to make more moves appear (btw according to tips slower characters can equip more, that explains why Zelda can use more than Zero suit Samus; wear heavier clothing Samus :p).

The other obvious thing is apparently you get slightly more moves for the character you are currently playing as.

A smash run (and I think the game in general) you only take away the last 10 things you picked up. So avoid gold and only pick up moves if possible.

Also it is like trophies, you will get dupes so early on you will unlock more new moves than later on. This will make the last few moves hell to get.

I think more data is needed for an exact time.

That was with only picking a character that you don't have all custom moves for and for only picking up wrench bags. I've been playing Smash Run as efficiently as I can imagine.

Jackano

The demo has more maps than Battlefield. Watch the how to play video, I've seen non battlefield stages in the demo afterward. But probably no BGM is why they are not playable.
Does Stamina flower match at 1HP still work? That would be quicker.
Probably; I don't mind playing a little so it's not like I want to rush and makes thing "industrial". Sure I wanted Ganondorf quickly and test all the stages at leats once.

Hi Smash GAF !

Like I said after lurking in a lot of Smash threads I've been waiting for SSB 4 a lot. I've played previous SSB games but I guess I missed the opportunity to appreciate this game how it should be appreciated.
Now that I've played the demo quite a lot I can say that this game is both accessible and difficult to master at the same time but damn.. it's so much fun. I can't wait to play with friends (mostly locally on Wii U version since my friends don't have any Nintendo systems...).

The only thing I'm impatient to change is the controls layout because I find the jump button to be oddly placed.

Game is fluid, graphics are quite good but you clearly can see that the 3DS is reaching it's limits with this game.
New Nintendo 3DS can't come soon enough, like the 3 Amiibo I preordered, like the cool wooden 3DS faceplate... argh my wallet Ninty !!!!

I'm not staying in the thread because I don't want to be spoiled too much (I've tried not to look too much in SSB threads since august) but I'll certainly come in the OT for newbie questions.

So people can know I've pre-ordered Link, Kirby and Fox Amiibo. I may try a few online match with GAF players but I don't want to be too ridiculous so I'll train a little before that :p

PS : thanks again Jackano for the dl code ^^

Hatchtag

Banned
how's online?

brawl was unplayable for me. too much lag

Better than Brawl. I've had damn near lagless matches ands its easy to find people to play with. Sometimes it can be laggy if my internet is being shitty, and sometimes there's a lag spike, but overall its better than Brawl by a country mile.

emb

I can beat level 9 CPU with MM in the demo and I'm absolutely terrible at smash. He's just so much fun to play.
What do you do with MM?

He still makes almost no sense to me. But instead of trying to figure him out, I've just been playing Mario and Villager mostly.

I can beat level 9 CPU with MM in the demo and I'm absolutely terrible at smash. He's just so much fun to play.

How do you change the CPU level?
I don't have the game near me so maybe I just need to open my eyes lol but beating the CPU is clearly too easy with both Link and Mario for me (didn't played a lot with The Villager since I wanted to focus on characters I may use with full version of the game).

Thanks

zroid

Banned
Yeah, I struggle a bit with Mega but Villager just tears through the CPU.

that's kind of what I was saying earlier, it's as if the AI wasn't programmed to deal with Villager's moves well. The tree takes out even level 9s pretty consistently. I often catch them just standing around on the other side of the tree waiting for it to fall on them, lol.

Durden77

So seeing as the blast zones were a big subject (that seems to be already cooling down, which is good), just wanna give a few thoughts on them.

I think the blast zones being larger in this game actually works better for the game as a whole. There are a lot of reasons why I think so. Encouraging off stage battles, working better with the new ledge mechanics, ect...

But I think the biggest reason is that it just simply lets players take more risks. Players live longer, which naturally gives them more flexibility. For instance, Link's new dash attack is awesome, and is a kill move. But it also has a solid amount of startup and endlag. But the move is still awesome, why? Well because fuck it throw it out. Depending on your spacing and percentage, there's a high chance that Link's gonna live anyway if he gets punished. Unless the punisher can purse and gimp him, which is pretty much necessary from keeping him from recovering, then he's probably going to make it back. Which will lead to attackers having to act on the situation more fiercely, which in turn will most likely lead to more off stage battles.

Overall I think this is the biggest benefit of the larger blast zones. With the combined fact that there's just simply more kill moves in this game, I think the ability to take more risk will equal more exciting and varied gameplay.

TL;DR I like the big blast zones for now and see their purpose. More risks equals more fun.

Because Sakurai is biased for his ow...
wait

Seriously though, Ganondorf should have got his own.

They should have redone the existing ones again. I was reading the Victory Themes article on Smashapedia and although the themes have generally been the same for all 3 previous games, they always re-recorded them. (Melee's are still the best, of course.) And now Smash 4 just re-uses the Brawl ones? Ehhhhhhh.

Each character getting a specific theme would be great, mind. Luigi, Toon Link, Ganondorf and Greninja seem like obvious contenders.

Forkball

I'm glad they made Rosalina turn fucking invisible when she rolls.

CAUSE YOU CAN TOTALLY SEE WHERE SHE'S GOING AND WHERE SHE WILL END UP

They should have redone the existing ones again. I was reading the Victory Themes article on Smashapedia and although the themes have generally been the same for all 3 previous games, they always re-recorded them. (Melee's are still the best, of course.) And now Smash 4 just re-uses the Brawl ones? Ehhhhhhh.

Each character getting a specific theme would be great, mind. Luigi, Toon Link, Ganondorf and Greninja seem like obvious contenders.

Is it possible that they just reused the Brawl ones on the 3DS version because of the poor sound quality of the 3DS? I guess we'll find out when the Wii U version comes out.

So seeing as the blast zones were a big subject (that seems to be already cooling down, which is good), just wanna give a few thoughts on them.

I think the blast zones being larger in this game actually works better for the game as a whole. There are a lot of reasons why I think so. Encouraging off stage battles, working better with the new ledge mechanics, ect...

But I think the biggest reason is that it just simply lets players take more risks. Players live longer, which naturally gives them more flexibility. For instance, Link's new dash attack is awesome, and is a kill move. But it also has a solid amount of startup and endlag. But the move is still awesome, why? Well because fuck it throw it out. Depending on your spacing and percentage, there's a high chance that Link's gonna live anyway if he gets punished. Unless the punisher can purse and gimp him, which is pretty much necessary from keeping him from recovering, then he's probably going to make it back. Which will lead to attackers having to act on the situation more fiercely, which in turn will most likely lead to more off stage battles.

Overall I think this is the biggest benefit of the larger blast zones. With the combined fact that there's just simply more kill moves in this game, I think the ability to take more risk will equal more exciting and varied gameplay.

TL;DR I like the big blast zones for now and see their purpose. More risks equals more fun.

"fuck it throw it out" is precisely the kind of thing you don't want in a fighting game

Is it possible that they just reused the Brawl ones on the 3DS version because of the poor sound quality of the 3DS? I guess we'll find out when the Wii U version comes out.

Possible. It says Pac-Man's Wii U victory theme at E3 was a placeholder from the TV show, and his 3DS theme is different and new, which might explain everyone at E3 having Brawl themes.

Buuuuuut I doubt it.

What do you do with MM?

He still makes almost no sense to me. But instead of trying to figure him out, I've just been playing Mario and Villager mostly.

I only play 1v1v1v1 so I typically play opportunistically. I use a lot of dair, side smash, up tilt, up smash, and down smash with some timely dash attacks. I don't win most of the time against level 9s, but I've done it a few times. I do win most of the time against level 8s.

Chû Totoro;130258205 said:
How do you change the CPU level?
I don't have the game near me so maybe I just need to open my eyes lol but beating the CPU is clearly too easy with both Link and Mario for me (didn't played a lot with The Villager since I wanted to focus on characters I may use with full version of the game).

Thanks

Just click on their level on the bottom screen of the character select menu. It'll show a popup where you can select their level.

Man if you're terrible but can still beat a level 9 I must be like Mr. Bean playing smash
I guess I'm mostly terrible against human players. I almost always lose.

Edit: how do I do screenshots in the demo? And is there an easy way to upload them to the internet from the 3DS SD card?

Sakura

What do you do with MM?

Well, against CPUs I just keep spamming the side special attack and they seem to all die. Level 9 CPUs aren't that bad once you get used to the controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom