• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Wii U version doesn't have a proper stage selection, with every series getting a new stage, that'll cement my decision that the 3DS version was a mistake.

If the Ice Climbers being cut wasn't enough already.

I'd love to see Metroid, Star Fox, DK, etc. get stages, but Magicant and Mute City deserve to exist more than stages from those respective series. F-Zero, Fire Emblem, and Mother got skipped in their Smash games of origin for stages, so why shouldn't they get their own new stages? In fact, I think EB and F-Zero should get new stages on the Wii U too!

I'm not upset those series got cool new stages. I love those stages. I just wish the other franchises had been given some love, too.

man i remember when i first heard bowser's new victory theme during the E3 demo and thought "holy shit they're actually going to give characters individual victory themes"

and then bowser was the only veteran who got a new victory theme

Fits with how his abilities make him come off less like "Ness from EarthBound", and more like "patched-together MOTHER representative".

Yeah. In Brawl Ness was more "Mother 1+2" while Lucas was "Mother 3", since they're very different games from each other. Now in Smash 4 Ness is "Mother 1+2 and scraps from 3 because who really cares about 3"

JoeInky

Ramming Speed sounds like my kind of thing. Multi-hit and goes through projectiles. Does the last hit have a bit more knockback?

Yes, though not as much as the default extreme speed sweetspot.

So he's a strong character outside his buffs? Because that's one of his bigger problems in Brawl, where he had to be outright losing to be any decent.

It's possible. Despite playing him a lot in Brawl, it's been so long that that happened that I don't remember what he was like.

I'll play as him in For Glory tomorrow and see what I make of him.

Kangi

man i remember when i first heard bowser's new victory theme during the E3 demo and thought "holy shit they're actually going to give characters individual victory themes"

and then bowser was the only veteran who got a new victory theme
And even then, it was more to have Jr. share the theme.

Drago

Could have sworn I saw someone playing on the WarioWare, Inc. stage the other day on one of those streams.
I think he meant more that Wario didn't have a new 3DS stage, only his old Brawl one.

I really hope we can get a Diamond City or Wario Land stage on WiiU or something. Anything! :/

DaBoss

I honestly never understand why there is just a bunch of people just talking in shofu's streams. Makes it so hard for me to watch unmuted. Would like to listen to the in-game sounds.
Yes, though not as much as the default extreme speed sweetspot.
Awesome, just wanted to make sure that it has some sort of knockback at the end instead of just letting the other person able to punish you or something.

They should've at least given WarioWare the Pictochat 2 treatment and given it a new set of microgames.

Well, hopefully because the franchise's recent history, DIY and... er... Snapped aside, is pretty much entirely console-based (Land included), he'll get a nice new stage on Wii U.

Golnei

Balance patches seem very out of character for Sakurai, much less ones concerning a mechanic that has nothing to do with his preferred target audience and one they most likely made deliberate decisions.

Although there's no chance of them removing this specific mechanic, balance patches don't seem that unfeasible considering Sakurai has stated he would have liked to do a few for Brawl if the infrastructure had allowed it.

There's that, too. Too much recycling!

I would have had less of a problem with the recycled fanfares if they brought back a few from Melee. Then at least more characters could have unique ones.

Peléo

If the Wii U version doesn't have a proper stage selection, with every series getting a new stage, that'll cement my decision that the 3DS version was a mistake.

I agree with you and would enjoy a more robust WiiU game. Still, I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't call 1mm units sold on first week a mistake.

Man the last time I saw this many people talking about a 3DS game in real life was pokemon X and Y. I hope Smash 4 gets around those numbers (If that's even possible, but given Japan's opening numbers it doesn't seem too crazy)

It's just that, for me, 34 stages for a roster of 48 characters already feels quite low. Especially, when one series has 5 stages on its own and over a 1/4 of the stages are re-used. Maybe they'll sell more stages later, or maybe there's time-locked content coming or maybe Sakurai will come and act out a pantomime version of Smash in my living room, idk. But at the moment it's one of two things that really stand out as negatives for me
(the other being trophies)

I'd love for F-Zero to get its own Wii U stage since we'll likely never see a true HD F-Zero on that system, but the Magicant stage is so ambitious and inspired that I'd love to see it on the Wii U as well.

I'm not upset those series got cool new stages. I love those stages. I just wish the other franchises had been given some love, too.

I agree, but DK and Metroid got some pretty solid stage representation through the ages. DK had:

Congo Jungle
Kongo Jungle
Jungle Japes
Past Stage: Congo Jungle
Rumble Falls
75m
Past Stage: Jungle Japes
Past Stage: Jungle Japes (again lol)

Metroid had:

Planet Zebes
Brinstar
Brinstar Depths
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Past Stage: Brinstar
Pyrosphere

F-Zero had:

Mute City
Big Blue
Port Town Aero Dive
Past Stage: Big Blue
16-bit Mute City

Mother had:

Onett
Fourside
New Pork City
Past Stage: Onett
Magicant

Just saying, Metroid and DK have gotten a lot of attention, and DK will probably get a nice new Wii U stage to allow it to keep pulling ahead of Mother and F-Zero - and will probably get a Past Stage too.

It's just that, for me, 34 stages for a roster of 48 characters already feels quite low. Especially, when one series has 5 stages on its own and over a 1/4 of the stages are re-used. Maybe they'll sell more stages later, or maybe there's time-locked content coming or maybe Sakurai will come and act out a pantomime version of Smash in my living room, idk. But at the moment it's one of two things that really stand out as negatives for me
(the other being trophies)

So most of the trophies are model rips again and are too focused on modern stuff?

gaaaaaaaaaaaaasp

Re-used models and/or series imbalances?

I love Fire Emblem ones, but it feels like everything is Animal Crossing & Kid Icarus. I love those games and I know they have a lot of characters/enemies, but god damn.

EDIT: Yeah, most are model rips or originated in Brawl (see: F-Zero). There's a noticable quality difference between some series's models because of it too. The AA when not using 3D is nice.

If the Ice Climbers being cut wasn't enough already.

I wouldn't say the 3DS version was a mistake, but trying to give it parity with the console version definitely was.

Also, the Wii U version should have all of the stages from the 3DS version. But I know they won't do that, because having exclusive stages gives the 3DS version more value.

Revven

Can anyone connect online yet or no?

There's a new patch you need to download, it's ver. 1.02. Go to the eShop to get it.

Speaking of the patch, can anyone try to see if any other things got fixed besides the Peach turnip stuff for For Glory? Mainly, I want to know if you can still rush cancel with Mega Man.

georly

Joeinky, i'm stealing your format for custom moves, feel free to link mine in with yours ;)

I hope i meet your standards! I'll post it at the top of the next page.

Golnei

Well, it's mainly the fault of Sakurai not really caring all that much about Wario. :v He was added to Smash later than he should be, and when he was he we given a stage, four trophies, and a handful of songs.

At least he cared about him enough to veto adding him in as a clone in Melee. Which can't be said for a certain other character...

DaBoss

Well, it's mainly the fault of Sakurai not really caring all that much about Wario. :v He was added to Smash later than he should be, and when he was he we given a stage, four trophies, and a handful of songs.
Oh the irony. :p

Wario could have been the Mario clone and not Dr. Mario in Melee, but Sakurai thought Wario deserved better.

The unfortunate problem with the DK franchises and Wario franchises (Wario Land is considered more closer to Mario than WarioWare) are that they are by extension considered related to the Mario series (not really a justifiable excuse imo), but I'm confident we will get some new stages for both of them in the Wii U version. Sucks they get no new stages for the 3DS version.

Crayolan

I really want them both to have a unique stage.

ROB not having one in Brawl was brutal.

Agreed. ROB is my least liked Smash character, but if they're gonna put him in he shouldn't be half-assed. He needs a stage in the Wii U version. Same goes for Duck Hunt.

I'm getting very worried for the Wii U release date. We're like 3 months away from the end of the year and still no date...

They're not gonna announce the release date until after the 3DS version is released worldwide.

I agree, but DK and Metroid got some pretty solid stage representation through the ages. DK had:

Congo Jungle
Kongo Jungle
Jungle Japes
Past Stage: Congo Jungle
Rumble Falls
75m
Past Stage: Jungle Japes
Past Stage: Jungle Japes (again lol)

Metroid had:

Planet Zebes
Brinstar
Brinstar Depths
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Pyrosphere

Most of these stages suck though.

Congo Jungle - This one was actually okay, wish they'd bring it back.
Kongo Jungle - Rushing water and random klaptraps.
Jungle Japes - Random klaptraps.
Rumble Falls - Horrible scrolling stage.
75m - Way too big and arguably one of the worst stages in the history of Smash.

Planet Zebes - Shitty rising acid.
Brinstar - Shitty rising acid.
Brinstar Depths - No ledges, and awkward terrain.
Norfair - Shitty rising lava.
Frigate Orpheon - This one was actually okay.
Pyrosphere - Based on a shitty game, plus Ridley's probably a boss character that will ruin the stage like the Yellow Devil ruins the Mega Man stage.

I just want a great Metroid Prime stage and a great DKC stage. Is that so much to ask? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom