• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Further from my prior rant about Smash Run, I think I found a way to make it fun, aside from the fact that I've gotten first place with every character and don't need to ever bother with the final match bullshit ever again:

Equip Sonic with an Attack Boost and (of all things) two Speed Boost items, a Meteor shower power, and just blaze through the entire map looking for treasure chests. Bouncing off the walls and pinballing around looking for treasure chests and challenge doors is so much fun.

Looking for the final few Smash Run Powers and Custom Moves is going to be a lot more fun now.

Tom_Cody

Further from my prior rant about Smash Run, I think I found a way to make it fun, aside from the fact that I've gotten first place with every character and don't need to ever bother with the final match bullshit ever again:

Equip Sonic with an Attack Boost and (of all things) two Speed Boost items, a Meteor shower power, and just blaze through the entire map looking for treasure chests. Bouncing off the walls and pinballing around looking for treasure chests and challenge doors is so much fun.

Looking for the final few Smash Run Powers and Custom Moves is going to be a lot more fun now.
This sounds awesome.

Ricky 7

Haha yeah, it's like when they were thinking of custom moves they were like "oh hey I know, let's give him a bow move that actually kills"

Bow isn't that bad of a move by default (still probably his weakest special tho) but I always found it ridiculous that the move NEVER kills outside of catching them already off-screen, even at 150+%

That's how I feel about Samus's missiles, they don't kill until 250% and she didn't get any power missiles for her customs to compensate. :( I wish she still had her Melee missiles.
Anyways good luck for your tournament match.

Pretty much.
I also can get annoyed when people win and immediately switch characters. I know it's not a tourney or anything so they don't have to lock their character, but c'mon if I lost I'm trying to learn, haha.
Well, sometimes I will switch for one of two reasons:
1) You are free, and I don't want my skills to degenerate playing you.
2) You are good, and I want to see how my other character measures up to you.

99% of my matches are with Bowser, though. I had a brief stint of about 50 matches with Zelda before I got tired of how crappy Din's Fire is.

How does a player disrespect you?
Teabagging.

Dodge cancel tech?
If you short hop right into an air dodge, you can cancel out of it right before you land. It removes all landing lag from the air dodge. I think ~15 characters can do it with aerial A buttons. Bowser is super special, though, and he can cancel his landing lag into any of his specials. So I can do things like invincible air dodge through PK Fire into Fortress, hitting Ness before he even recovers from his PK Fire. Normally, the air dodge recovery period would put us back at neutral. It basically means that Bowser can get in for free and then go into a move that comes out in what looks like 2-3 frames.

The only serious downside is when you mess up the hop and jump instead. Then you air dodge high up into the air, and are left completely open.

Anyway, I have used this to get a lot of kills. Dodge cancel behind an opponent right into Bowser Bomb for KOs at around 100%. Mix it up between the Koopa Klaw, Whirling Fortress, and Bowser Bomb for best results, but I mostly use Whirling Fortress because it is safe, fast, and hits on both sides, so it covers rolls.

Jado

Banned
Ditto this! All I really care about is how well I do in real life so someone who beats me really bad over and over in For Glory is an opportunity for me to get better. Sometimes I'm trying to see who I like and I just know the dude on the other end is thinking I'm not worth their time.

On the flip side if I completely over shadow my opponent I will stay at least 4 matches is they can catch on. If they have the guts to keep getting pummeled trying to figure out why then I know they have a good spirit.

I do this with lesser skilled opponents too. Not for easy wins either. I will practice with my secondary characters and generally try to have fun together. Still a high prevalence of quitters. Dunno who they're expecting to win against or how they expect to improve if they repeatedly give up on completely average players like me.

How does one teabag in Smash? Do you mean just crouching repeatedly, even though no one is under you? Cause I do that often in For Glory after KOing someone, but I never thought it had any meaning.
Some people take it that way.

I just short hop after each KO.

emb

I've gotten in the habit of taunting after most KOs. It gets people riled up sometimes, and it's fun to utilize the primitive communication options available. I kinda just like being a jerk in FG in general, unless it seems like my opponent is really having a hard time with the match. But if it's close or I'm getting trashed, yeah, I'll try to be goofy. There's not much more satisfying than getting a read on an opponent, and taunting at a time when they're not able to punish me for it. Gives me complete moral stage control.

I also taunt if people get a cool KO on me, or a hard read. I hope people correctly interpret that as "Nicely done!" rather than a "lololol I don't care I'll still win" kind of unsubstantiated arrogance.

Cedric

Some people take it that way.

I just short hop after each KO.

Damn, first taunts now this. I'm just gonna start crawling now, looks super weird when it's Rosalina doing it.

I also taunt if people get a cool KO on me, or a hard read. I hope people correctly interpret that as "Nicely done!" rather than a "lololol I don't care I'll still win" kind of unsubstantiated arrogance.

Hahaha I do the same thing, but I figure most people think it's just arrogance cause they immediately try to attack :p

I've gotten in the habit of taunting after most KOs. It gets people riled up sometimes, and it's fun to utilize the primitive communication options available. I kinda just like being a jerk in FG in general, unless it seems like my opponent is really having a hard time with the match. But if it's close or I'm getting trashed, yeah, I'll try to be goofy. There's not much more satisfying than getting a read on an opponent, and taunting at a time when they're not able to punish me for it. Gives me complete moral stage control.

I'm a bit of an a-hole sometimes, but only if someone taunts me. If I get taunted at. I sometimes taunt back at every conceivable moment, any time I throw them off the stage or knock them far away, I will taunt 3 or. 4 times in a row.

If I'm getting thrashed or doing the thrashing, I won't usually taunt. If it's an incredibly close match though, you can bet that I taunt. I also pop a taunt if I ever SD early on, just because I try to be a good sport about messing up.

See this is why I don't like For Glory. No way of communicating with whoever you're matched with.
It's kinda demotivating in a way. Hard to give it your best against someone completely anonymous. I mostly use For Glory to experiment with characters because of it.

emb

I'm a bit of an a-hole sometimes, but only if someone taunts me. If I get taunted at. I sometimes taunt back at every conceivable moment, any time I throw them off the stage or knock them far away, I will taunt 3 or. 4 times in a row.
Haha, yeah. If my opponent gets to me with it, I'll some times try to just out obnoxious. Taunting when you hit them away is a good one, I should do that more.

As Greninja, I have fun trying to combo up tilt or down tilt into taunt. Rarely works unless they just jump back into it, but I still go for it sometimes.

It's a shame that taunts are so limited in For Glory. <.<

Another method I like if I get mad/silly to just taunt repeatedly when I'm ahead and trying to be annoying. Like if I'm a stock up, just taunt even knowing they can hit me. Then taunt again. Until I'm dead. That's a pretty bad troll though, and I'm kinda glad things like this aren't possible with randoms.

I had two For Glory matches against this one player who never attacked me once. Instead, we spent the entire time dancing around, footstooling off of each other, and taunting when we were allowed to. It was a very surreal experience.

Cedric

I had two For Glory matches against this one player who never attacked me once. Instead, we spent the entire time dancing around, footstooling off of each other, and taunting when we were allowed to. It was a very surreal experience.

I had the exact same thing. Started out serious, but as the matches went on it became increasingly silly. At the end it was just who could pull off Bowser's side B first. I don't know why but I played this person for like an hour straight.

emb

Damn, first taunts now this. I'm just gonna start crawling now, looks super weird when it's Rosalina doing it.
I do that now. Rosalina's crawl is hilarious
Rosie can crawl? o.o

Crawling is generally pretty fun. Most people seem to get confused for a second while I just slowly retreat, lol.
See this is why I don't like For Glory. No way of communicating with whoever you're matched with.
It's kinda demotivating in a way. Hard to give it your best against someone completely anonymous. I mostly use For Glory to experiment with characters because of it.
Yeah, it's pretty annoying.

But at the same time it's really interesting to see what kind of feel you can get from their personality while playing them. It's probably not accurate, but still fun to try to build this impression based on your brief period of contact.

Though it is possible to put contact information in your profile quote, and they can check it at the results. Really makes me wonder why they banned Miis online if you still see their Mii and some text at the end of a match.

How does one teabag in Smash? Do you mean just crouching repeatedly, even though no one is under you? Cause I do that often in For Glory after KOing someone, but I never thought it had any meaning.
That is exactly what I mean.

Yeah, they need to fix Zelda, she used to be my main but she is terrible now.
I'm not saying she's bad, just that I don't like Din's Fire in its current form. Or shields should just regenerate slower, because I feel like people can block that all day without penalty.

The more I play this game again after a brief respite the more I'm disliking DK's lack of like anything noteworthy, my envy towards other buffed heavyweights eats me up I tell ya, It's like Bowser was blessed with a fine feast at the table of Smash while DK got the scraps and fashioned them into one whole roll attack option.

I'm awful at punishing rolls in this game, every time I think i've timed things right it turns out to be wrong and then I get punished for daring to try and punish, when my opponents get evasive I tend to falter.
And after recently being reminded of good Rosalina players and a projectile happy Samus let me once more extend my middle finger to final destination's flat layout that conspires against me.

This is how I tend to view things...

Someone taunts me? yeah that's fine
Someone starts jumping around like a nut post KO? we're getting borderline here
Rapid crouching? OH IT'S ON NOW!

Those crouches are a deceleration of disrespect to me, to think that yesterday a crouch happy Ganondorf managed to lure me in to an easy albeit somewhat fortunate Ganoncide because I could not handle the levels of disrespect being thrown at me via the crouching combo so I guess riling people up it has its advantages.

If I'm getting thrashed or doing the thrashing, I won't usually taunt. If it's an incredibly close match though, you can bet that I taunt. I also pop a taunt if I ever SD early on, just because I try to be a good sport about messing up.
I feel a botch on my part is worth a returning taunt, usually because it's Donkey Kong's down taunt which is really perfect for the situation of having just screwed up.

Azure J

So clearly some stuff came out that I didn't know about before. I didn't know that aerial cancelling thing was legit.

Edit: Oh wait, it's just low height air dodging? :/

Jado

Banned
I taunt politely -- after KOs and near-KOs. I ring G&W's bell like a madman against obnoxious players. Lemmy and Duck Hunt Dog's laugh are also a good one. I think audible taunts like these really get to people.

I still think there should be a list of pre-set commands to improve the community aspect and communicate a few things clearly (GG, I have to run, bye, too much lag, you're a bad-mannered player, etc). And of course, friending strangers should be a thing in some form. I really wanna play again against some of my past opponents.

emb

So clearly some stuff came out that I didn't know about before. I didn't know that aerial cancelling thing was legit.

Edit: Oh wait, it's just low height air dodging? :/
Basically, it sounds like air dodges have IASA frames. I'm not sure of the details, but they're talking about it here.

At least that's what it sounds like, from glancing over the info on it. So instead of landing with the air dodges 22 lag frames, you can do an aerial that has 12 frames or something to be safer, or a special to get out of there.

Short hop air dodge does autocancel with some characters (and on others, even FH dodge seems to land with lag if uncancelled), but I think this is about IASA frames. *shrug*

Raptomex

I fucking did it. I'm so excited. I beat classic on 9.0. After god knows how many tries. Ganondorf, all defense equipment. I died before the doppelganger so I fought him cautiously. Both of us dodging and shielding but I got him. Fuck.

Stylo

The more I play this game again after a brief respite the more I'm disliking DK's lack of like anything noteworthy, my envy towards other buffed heavyweights eats me up I tell ya, It's like Bowser was blessed with a fine feast at the table of Smash while DK got the scraps and fashioned them into one whole roll attack option.

I'm awful at punishing rolls in this game, every time I think i've timed things right it turns out to be wrong and then I get punished for daring to try and punish, when my opponents get evasive I tend to falter.
And after recently being reminded of good Rosalina players and a projectile happy Samus let me once more extend my middle finger to final destination's flat layout that conspires against me.

Those crouches are a deceleration of disrespect to me, to think that yesterday a crouch happy Ganondorf managed to lure me in to an easy albeit somewhat fortunate Ganoncide because I could not handle the levels of disrespect being thrown at me via the crouching combo so I guess riling people up it has its advantages.

I feel a botch on my part is worth a returning taunt, usually because it's Donkey Kong's down taunt which is really perfect for the situation of having just screwed up.

You can at least rest easy knowing DK has the advantage in the matchup. =D

I feel the same way about rolls. It's MUCH harder to punish rolls in this game compared to Brawl. I also feel the same about taunting. When people start
crouching, it tells me that they have 0 respect or they just want to troll me.

RomanceDawn

Hey man lets play later. I will show you some things with DK you may or may not be aware of.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I fucking did it. I'm so excited. I beat classic on 9.0. After god knows how many tries. Ganondorf, all defense equipment. I died before the doppelganger so I fought him cautiously. Both of us dodging and shielding but I got him. Fuck.

I managed it with a custom bowser after 4 or 5 attempts, mostly boosted offense but a good amount of defense too. Even a little bonus speed, it was a pretty nice setup. I had to sacrifice respawn invincibility for it but who needs that.

Raptomex

I managed it with a custom bowser after 4 or 5 attempts, mostly boosted offense but a good amount of defense too. Even a little bonus speed, it was a pretty nice setup. I had to sacrifice respawn invincibility for it but who needs that.
I was trying Bowser all defense and Ganondorf all defense. In the end it was Ganondorf. The only bonus I had was quick smash attacks.

Dimmle

Oh man, the one thing that really grinds my gears is when I accidentally SD early on with a botched recovery, when I basically donate a stock to my opponent through sheer clumsiness, and they taunt.

OH NO YOU DIDN'T

Although, in the event that you come back and take them from 2 stocks to 0, victory is never sweeter.

RiggyRob

Basically, it sounds like air dodges have IASA frames. I'm not sure of the details, but they're talking about it here.

At least that's what it sounds like, from glancing over the info on it. So instead of landing with the air dodges 22 lag frames, you can do an aerial that has 12 frames or something to be safer, or a special to get out of there.

Short hop air dodge does autocancel with some characters (and on others, even FH dodge seems to land with lag if uncancelled), but I think this is about IASA frames. *shrug*

I think I've done this myself with Mario - doing an air dodge backwards means you can sort of slide backwards rather than having the full lag animation where he crouches down on one knee play out.

RomanceDawn

Oh man, the one thing that really grinds my gears is when I accidentally SD early on with a botched recovery, when I basically donate a stock to my opponent through sheer clumsiness, and they taunt.

OH NO YOU DIDN'T

Although, in the event that you come back and take them from 2 stocks to 0, victory is never sweeter.

Did this last night against a Dedede! Felt so good!

emb

OH NO YOU DIDN'T

I do that in friendlies, in person. Usually along with some kind of sarcastic "See that kill? That was all me." comment so they know I'm not too serious. Though at this point I do it about anytime, other than srs bsnss tournament matches, just out of habit.
I think I've done this myself with Mario - doing an air dodge backwards means you can sort of slide backwards rather than having the full lag animation where he crouches down on one knee play out.
I think you can do it forwards too. It's just a matter of how quick you are.

Top Bottom