• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT| Mewtwo Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeInky

I would say buff Falco, but I don't even really know what they could give him. I still love playing him and I still think he's godlike off stage, but his character is inherently hard to improve. Maybe a bit less ending lag on lasers and speed up his spike a bit?

Any number of these types of changes would make him better:
-Fix his jab combo
-Decrease laser lag
-Decrease DAir startup
-Decrease DAir landing lag
-Have Falco Phantasm hitbox cover the entire length of the move rather than just 50%
-Have NAir work like other multihit moves and make them all connect properly
-Decrease NAir landing lag
-Increase BAir sweetspot duration
-Make USmash 2nd hit combo properly

I don't think he's "inherently" hard to improve, he was one of the best characters in Brawl and he doesn't have any major moveset changes from then in Smash 4.

It's gonna be soo good...
tumblr_inline_nkttp0oSxx1rius9z.gif

What's the source from that gif?

Brofield

It's gonna be soo good...
tumblr_inline_nkttp0oSxx1rius9z.gif

The subtlety of Fox shaking his head in dismay and Samus casually breathing completes this for me. As a Falcon main, this is exactly how I feel after I KO someone with a Falcon Punch, regardless if I win the match at the end of the round.

Also, source? I desperately need context out of this.

I would say buff Falco, but I don't even really know what they could give him. I still love playing him and I still think he's godlike off stage, but his character is inherently hard to improve. Maybe a bit less ending lag on lasers and speed up his spike a bit?

It's not about the down air, it's that since they nerfed his dash attack into the ground, made Phantasm much harder to hit with, and changed his back air, he has no approach in neutral and no defense in the air. There's basically no reason to play him over Mario or Sheik. He needs his dash attack to not be garbage, and either significantly change his back air to be more like Brawl's, or do something to his neutral air. And make his laser not a joke. It's the same deal as Marth, where a couple of subtle changes to hitboxes and frame data for no apparent reason destroyed the character.

Tyeforce

More so than enabling them for online play, I really hope that the update will add Mii Fighters to the Random fighter selection. I use Random a lot, and because of that I rarely get to fight as Mii Fighters, since you have to manually select them to ever use them. In addition to this, I wish they'd change how Random works with customizations enabled. Instead of giving you a random build, I wish it would randomly choose from any of your saved custom fighters.

More so than enabling them for online play, I really hope that the update will add Mii Fighters to the Random fighter selection. I use Random a lot, and because of that I rarely get to fight as Mii Fighters, since you have to manually select them to ever use them. In addition to this, I wish they'd change how Random works with customizations enabled. Instead of giving you a random build, I wish it would randomly choose from any of your saved custom fighters.
Oh yeah, speaking of random I want it to randomize alternate costume like it used to. Why did they take that out for Smash 4?

Plus using a random character in Master Order should re-randomize your character for every round instead of just randomizing it at the beginning and sticking you with that character. It would be cool if it did that for Crazy Order, too, but there it at least makes sense to stick a person with one character.

Cody_D165

Banned
I honestly just wish we'd get some general quality of life updates in the patch, like saving your last set of options so I'd not have to switch to stock mode every time I boot up the game.

Revven

I have low expectations for the patch giving any meaningful changes to the roster as a whole -- the least I expect are Diddy Kong changes but besides that I highly, highly, doubt very many characters will receive buffs. I'd be happy to be proven wrong tomorrow but I just doubt it's happening.

The thing that would make me happy is if they finally gave us the Tourney Mode (which is MK8's tournament stuff except for Smash). That would make online 1000 times better than the current implementation. I am just sick of For Glory's flat stage limitation. Let me set up a public lobby with 2 stocks, 6 minutes, no items, and any stage available. Please. And then I will be happy. We've been waiting 6 months for this now, come on, you announced it in November.

Yea, this is dumb that they can't be randomed. There really isn't a good reason you can't. You can't even random Miis like you can random customs either, there is no random button at all for Miis...

Also they need to not weigh default costumes in random as heavily as they do. It feels like an all random 8 player Smash has 7 characters in their default skin and one pink Donkey Kong.

It should be more varied than that.

Cody_D165

Banned
so here's a scary thought

has it been confirmed that we can use Mewtwo online against people who haven't bought him or are we going to have a Mario Kart 8 situation on our hands where you can only be matched up with other DLC owners

edit: wait nvm I'm dumb that's just for tracks not characters

I honestly just wish we'd get some general quality of life updates in the patch, like saving your last set of options so I'd not have to switch to stock mode every time I boot up the game.

can't you do that in the rules menu?
i thought it saves it.

so here's a scary thought

has it been confirmed that we can use Mewtwo online against people who haven't bought him or are we going to have a Mario Kart 8 situation on our hands where you can only be matched up with other DLC owners

everybody will get the update, would be weird not to let people play against him.
it's also in the OP.

Durden77

Yeah that's essentially it. I saw the idea Sakurai was going with Falco's dair having startup for a more risk/reward type of thing but it's too extreme to be used in a competitive environment consistently without being punished. It needs to be sped up more.

Idk what to do about the lasers, I'm fine with them being just being a straight up disrupting projectile. Also I wished his run speed was a bit faster but that's just a dream :p

Yeah as a Falco main I feel the same way. I think he's a pretty balanced character overall. Here's a few small things I'd improve though:

-Faster lasers
-Make it easier to sweetspot the down air
-Make it easier to get all hits with neutral air
-Fix the up smash so characters don't randomly fall out in the middle of it.

Yup that's about it. I do also wish his ground speed was a bit faster and his grab game didn't suck so much. The upsmash is annoying too.

He's a weird character because every thinks he's bad, but I don't think so. He's just not necessarily exceptional at anything except his off stage game. But since his spike is so slow, that even weakens that a bit. I don't want or think he needs any big buffs, just a few things to help him concentrate more on his strengths.

Any number of these types of changes would make him better:
-Fix his jab combo
-Decrease laser lag
-Decrease DAir startup
-Decrease DAir landing lag
-Have Falco Phantasm hitbox cover the entire length of the move rather than just 50%
-Have NAir work like other multihit moves and make them all connect properly
-Decrease NAir landing lag
-Increase BAir sweetspot duration
-Make USmash 2nd hit combo properly

I don't think he's "inherently" hard to improve, he was one of the best characters in Brawl and he doesn't have any major moveset changes from then in Smash 4.

This is also all good stuff. Like Snacks also said, he doesn't need anything major, just a few subtle tweaks and he'd be fine.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I personally think his jab combo and bair are fine. I actually think his jab combo is one of the most reliable in the game.

DaBoss

Made some dark theme friendly images for the FAQ that you can use till you make your own or something.
Code:
[plain][img]http://i.imgur.com/6qbd6O9.png[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/xcLSYNJ.png[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Jc1hFNP.png[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/7K8Sh5j.png[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/D1aP84K.png[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/2FD2ExB.png[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/ot0I8S5.png[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/yHhJFWu.png[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/pimiw0T.png[/img][/plain]

Tyeforce

Yea, this is dumb that they can't be randomed. There really isn't a good reason you can't. You can't even random Miis like you can random customs either, there is no random button at all for Miis...

Also they need to not weigh default costumes in random as heavily as they do. It feels like an all random 8 player Smash has 7 characters in their default skin and one pink Donkey Kong.

It should be more varied than that.
I actually like how default costumes are more likely to be chosen with Random, but I'm probably in the minority here about that. =P I always prefer the default costumes
except underwear Shulk ;D
, so it doesn't bother me at all.

I actually like how default costumes are more likely to be chosen with Random, but I'm probably in the minority here about that. =P I always prefer the default costumes
except underwear Shulk ;D
, so it doesn't bother me at all.
It bugs me that a "random" option would skew one way or another at all. It should be completely unbiased - that's what random means.

Revven

Can't wait for people to think their character is massively buffed/nerfed thanks to lack of Nintendo patch notes, then it turns out they haven't changed at all.

Thankfully it won't be as long this time because the community has that application Dantarion made which crosschecks file differences or whatever.

Got excited when I saw an email from Club Nintendo just now...too bad it was just a reminder to redeem my Platinum reward.

Hype for tomorrow nevertheless!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad that I would able to make Smash OT for one of best community on NeoGAF, SmashGAF! :D

Intelliheath, would you mind adding the Ranbat stuff to your second post again? :)

Quote this post for Season 3 Ranbat signups:

YEAH, GO ME!

Sure thing but I want to make sure before I add anything. Are you going to change anything to the rules yet? Or do you wnta me to add Ranbat Season 2 stuff?

If people have problem with the last section; (OTs) I can edit the X out of the design so we only have the buttons in case they split like in that screenshot.
I still have the file, let me know if you want to change it.

btw, can't wait to get my Mewtwo code tomorrow :D

Well, I really like your work so I don't really want to get rid of X. I think it might be only problem for few people. (Sorry buddies)

Really curious what the character select screen is going to look like after Mewtwo and again after Lucas. I really oppose multiple screens, the CSS is a monument to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom