• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XIII: Leak Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can show off his Newcomer trailer when they announce MM 3D. :-/

It's never going to happen, is it? :(

This is also how I feel, specifically with a fan service filled game like this. You play Mario in all of his games, but there's a different appeal to being able to actually use Bowser since it doesn't happen otherwise(outside of the RPGs). You play as Link, never Zelda, but here you can. Along with something resembling Ganondorf.

It doesn't have much directly to do with the gameplay itself, but adds additional appeal on a different level.

Heh.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, Mario Kart 8 is apparently gonna have maintenance tomorrow, some folks are thinking we'll get a Direct tomorrow to coincide with it...

You know, if the Direct does happen, I think we'll get Bowser Jr. in Smash, and they'll simultaneously announce him as DLC for Mario Kart 8. Like how Rosalina was revealed in a Direct revealing her as playable in 3D World and MK8.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So, Mario Kart 8 is apparently gonna have maintenance tomorrow, some folks are thinking we'll get a Direct tomorrow to coincide with it...

You know, if the Direct does happen, I think we'll get Bowser Jr. in Smash, and they'll simultaneously announce him as DLC for Mario Kart 8. Like how Rosalina was revealed in a Direct revealing her as playable in 3D World and MK8.
[thread=869000]But we already know what's coming for that update.[/thread]

Don't get mad at me; get mad at Nintendo for not giving Lucas the proper exposure he deserves.

Not mad at anyone, just messing, that's a quote from The Princess Bride.

Wait, they announced Rosalina in MK8, 3DW, and Smash all at the same time? I thought 3DW was out before she was announced in Smash...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I doubt that since we haven't heard anything from Nintendo about Direct. I could see that we might get announcement this Friday for next week's Smash Direct.

I'm looking forward to the new DK/Kirby/Yoshi/Wario stages for the Wii U version. I hope Wario gets a stage based on Wario Land: The Shake Dimension, but that would require Sakurai acknowledging that Wario Land exists.

There's such a wide selection of potential characters for Smash - or rather, characters people want to play as - that no reasonably sized roster is ever going to completely please everyone. I mean, I've seen people say they want everyone from Gumshoe and Tamagon to Jill Valentine and Princess Hilda.

SuperSah avoiding another avatar bet? Shocking news.

I wonder if that leak was the last big thing to happen before the release. Do you guys think anything else will leak before the game launches?

There's such a wide selection of potential characters for Smash - or rather, characters people want to play as - that no reasonably sized roster is ever going to completely please everyone. I mean, I've seen people say they want everyone from Gumshoe and Tamagon to Jill Valentine and Princess Hilda.

Which is why they should never cut anyone. Ever.

:'( Lucas...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

It's just irrational logic to find something so different and unique, again people thought I was stupid for supporting Dark Pit, Duck Hunt Dog, etc.

My wish list is almost completed but I'm pretty sure that rest of characters except Snake would be in the game in any form.

StayDead

What if Lucas was an alt skin for Ness and his moveset was custom moves? That'd be cool still right?

I'm more upset about Ice Climbers. They're iconic to Smash :(

I imagine doing that also puts inherent limits on newcomers.

I'm not working on the game, I don't know the ins and outs, I'm sure it's at least a little bit of work. It really seems, however, like they could, at the very very least, just up-res the assets to HD and keep the moves the exact same and never have to lose a character, with minimal work, doesn't it?

Alternatively, they should just cut the characters I don't like and put Lucas back in the game! :p

Regiruler

Also, if it had to be a Kid Icarus character (because can copy-paste model, yadda yadda), why not Phosphora and Pandora?
180px-Amazonpandora_pic.png

200px-Phosphora_artwork.png

Much better than pit recolor

I`m going to be salty about this for decades.

The only thing going for them is a potentially interesting moveset. Amazon Pandora only shows up for 5 minutes as a boss fight, Phosphora's appearances could be collected into two chapters, and neither is interesting in terms of character. Hades just blows them out of the water.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What if Lucas was an alt skin for Ness and his moveset was custom moves? That'd be cool still right?

If he had Lucas as alt then the leaker would noted that. I don't think Sakurai would trying to insult the fan bases.

I'm not working on the game, I don't know the ins and outs, I'm sure it's at least a little bit of work. It really seems, however, like they could, at the very very least, just up-res the assets to HD and keep the moves the exact same and never have to lose a character, with minimal work, doesn't it?

I think you have a very idealized concept of how game development works.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'd actually take Lucas over Ness.

Better design and better voice.

I don't care about Mother in the least though.

Yo bros, anything worth mentioning happen overnight? I'm not expecting anymore leaks, but just to be safe.

The POTD has the 'Omega Mode' thing in it that the leaks have, so any lingering doubters basically have no reason to believe it's still fake.

Other than that, no. But go check out the Pokken Tournament thread for a cool announcement.

Lucas and Ness are completely different! One's a striped shirted boy from a small town who goes on a quest to save the world from an insane and ancient evil from beyond, making friends and discovering his own internal power along the way and the other is... oh... um...

Never mind.

sfz

Banned

Alternatively, they should just cut the characters I don't like and put Lucas back in the game! :p

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. They basically build each character from smash. I mean scratch. Newcomers don't take much more work than veterans.

I can't recall, what made him more empathetic? Just that he was jealous of the more beneficent aspects of the Triforce bestowed upon Link and Zelda?

He discussed the harsh and dire conditions of his people, and openly expressed his jealousy of Hyrule. His initial intentions were to save his people, and bring them to a place where they could live in peace.

Obviously those were only his initial rationalizations, things took a considerable turn when he actually went to Hyrule.

maxcriden

It's never going to happen, is it? :(

Aw, no, I do think it will happen! I really hope so, at least. I think we'll see it next year. Jeez, I hope we do. :(

The maintenance is for the Mercedes-Benz DLC, so I don't know that we'll get a Direct or any other DLC to go along with it. That'd be great, though. (FWIW, from what I remember of the February Direct, Iwata said that the Rosalina thing was partly a funny coincidence.)

georly

Unfortunately, yes.

This implies that Lucas and Wolf were planned to be cut from the beginning, right?

It's definitely possible, but it feels wrong to me to cut characters from already under-represented and niche series. When they had to make cuts in Brawl they choose a Mario rep, a Zelda rep, two Pokémon rep and a Fire Emblem rep. Mario fans got Wario instead, Zelda fans got Toon Link, Pokémon fans got Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard and Lucario, Fire Emblem fans got Ike. Everyone was (rightly) disappointed for the cuts, but we got plenty of newcomers from the same series to make up for the loss. As a big EarthBound fan, though, there's just no upside to Lucas getting cut. Star Fox fans wanted Krystal as a fourth rep, and are ending up with two. We're just losing two beloved characters without any compensation, while the second most represented series is getting two newcomers.

I know, it's a matter of popularity -- it's not like there are a lot of Lucas and Wolf supporters around. But if they were deemed worthy enough for Brawl, I don't think they should be dropped now.

Either planned to be cut at the beginning, or cut once development started and they realized that every veteran required X amount of work to finish, and had to cut them there.

Like, making up numbers here, each veteran was allocated 100 man-hours to bring into smash 4, so to bring everyone back, it would be 3900 man hours.

Situation A: They only had money for 3300 man hours, so they had to make some cuts, which included Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, Lucas, Ice Climbers, and Wolf.

Situation B: They estimated and allocated 100 man hours per veteran, but in reality, it took 115 man hours per veteran. This meant they could only bring over about 34 veterans, which meant that Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, Lucas, Ice Climbers, and Wolf had to be cut.

Situation C: A combination of A and B (some cut initially, more cut later due to time restraints).

Once again, all made up in my head, no idea if true, numbers are not real, they may all be coming back, etc.

sfz

Banned
Pandora from Kid Icarus Uprising would be so sick! Not the human form, though. The flaming blue ball. Hades, Medusa, or even Magnus would be better than Pittoo.

maxcriden

I wonder if that leak was the last big thing to happen before the release. Do you guys think anything else will leak before the game launches?

I think it's a safe bet that people will have their hands on the game a week or so before release, but who knows how quickly they'll figure out the entire roster.

I just wanted the cat from the Wii's News Channel... :(

Which cat was this, BGBW? I don't think I ever used the Wii News Channel much.

I've only played 40 minutes of Uprising. The controls were just too goofy for me. I might pick it up again one day though.

Ah, man, it's so good. Just rest it on the stand or your knee (with your knee/foot up) a bit, and use the stylus controls. It's a bit cramp-inducing but it's such an amazing game. I bet it'd be right up your alley, too.

He discussed the harsh and dire conditions of his people, and openly expressed his jealousy of Hyrule. His initial intentions were to save his people, and bring them to a place where they could live in peace.

Obviously those were only his initial rationalizations, things took a considerable turn when he actually went to Hyrule.

Oh, I forgot all about that. Yeah, so he has motivations for his villainy, like any interesting adversary--but I don't know that he's ever been anything but a villain, regardless.

Ryce

Newcomers don't take much more work than veterans.
That's just flat out wrong. Lots of veterans have animations (with some touchups, of course) and voices lifted directly from Brawl. Every aspect of a newcomer has to be designed and implemented from scratch.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. They basically build each character from smash. I mean scratch. Newcomers don't take much more work than veterans.

Really? How do you know that?

Veterans seem like they'd be a lot less work. The mesh already exists, uprez-ing existing 3D models is easier than making new ones from scratch, and frankly, it's pretty likely they already have a hi-res mesh that they simplified for use in Brawl. The rigging's already done, the UV mapping for textures is already done, a basic texture is already done, a butt-ton of animations are already done (simple things that don't need to be changed like walking, turning, idling, jumping, falling, et cetera. Decisions about what moves the character will have are already made and only need to be updated and tweaked, rather than created from scratch. VO is mostly done... Is that enough? Should I keep going? :p

sfz

Banned
But when it comes to the modeling and animating portions of development.... The technical implementation is likely what takes the biggest chunk of each character's creation, long after the initial design is complete.

I think.

Toxi

Banned
I can't recall, what made him more empathetic? Just that he was jealous of the more beneficent aspects of the Triforce bestowed upon Link and Zelda?
He envied the bounteous wind in Hyrule, for the wind brought only destruction to his valley. Unfortunately, that jealousy turned to a lust for power.

On an interesting note, he doesn't seem to actually be willing to kill Link and Zelda in the final battle; notice how he only knocks Zelda out when he attacks her. It seems like he just wanted to die fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom