• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT| True Potential of Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The demo, yes. It's fun, but is very much like Brawl in gameplay and presentation.

I'm not a competitive player (though I am able to beat level 9s in the demo), so the little balancing and speed changes aren't a game changer for me.

I liked how every previous Smash had its own vibe to it. This one is basically just like Brawl. Even the menus and font are straight up Brawl.

No compelling single player is also disappointing. The only things that make me want this game are nostalgia, possibly good online, and the spectacle of seeing Smash in HD.

Just want to chime in to say I hate brawl. I don't like playing it. I was over it in about 2 weeks and rarely ever touched it again.

I LOVE this game. It's like brawl at first glace, but the more you play the more it seems to distance itself from the others. It feels almost like a cross between Brawl and 64 to me. Of course, this is just my oponion.

Masked Man

I said wow
JP release still in December?
Ouch, but they got Captain Toad and Fatal Frame Wii U anyway.

Don't remind me. :( I want to get hype with all of you!
The upside of getting Captain Toad early is that I finally get to play as my favorite Mario character in his first game! Can't wait for the inevitable Captain Toad DLC. <3

Sure. I'm all for Best Moments of SmashGAF :)

Lucina's Boots, Psychic GAF (Takamaru and Paper Mario), Gematsu Leak, Chrom died and Robin being Gematsu Slayer, Ridley GAF, Smash GAF fan fiction, etc.

So many fond memories! :')
Also, you mentioned in the last thread that not many people are interested in Duck Hunt, but fear not: they're one of my mains, too. Duck Hunt Dynasty for life! ;)

Recently played 64, Melee and Brawl back to back to back, and in that context, I gotta say, Brawl really stands out. It's so slow and feels...off. Smash 4 isn't melee, but it's by far the closest in feel to that game. The speed is almost there, for example.

Oh man, I hope we get a look back. How can I forget

-Georly's Batman toon link
-qqmoe's Sylveon obsession
-Naruto in the clouds
-Ridley reflecting off fighters eyes in every POTD
-The great leak escapades

And so many more great moments.

LOL I forgot about that one.

Trey

Brawl feels even slower than it is because the possibility of tripping is always in the back of your mind.

Don't forget the weta. lol

And the Ridley PotD. lol

Actually, I think forgetting the weta would be the best course of action for all involved. God, that was a terrible day for SmashGAF. :(

So I've been wondering, what exactly is the 3DS connectivity? Is it just specific customizations and using it as a controller, or are there other features?

You can use it as a controller and transfer your custom characters to/from the Wii U version. That's it.

The demo, yes. It's fun, but is very much like Brawl in gameplay and presentation.

I'm not a competitive player (though I am able to beat level 9s in the demo), so the little balancing and speed changes aren't a game changer for me.

I liked how every previous Smash had its own vibe to it. This one is basically just like Brawl. Even the menus and font are straight up Brawl.

No compelling single player is also disappointing. The only things that make me want this game are nostalgia, possibly good online, and the spectacle of seeing Smash in HD.
Hmm, yeah presentation wise it really does feel like Brawl 2.0 - menus and sound effects, general feel of the navigation. But other than that I would say (regarding the 3DS version) that it is a happy medium between Melee and Brawl. To me it feels much smoother and less floaty, but not nearly as frantic as Melee. I can see how it doesn't have a distinct vibe that separates it from the rest of the Smashes, but that just may take time to sink in. But also part of the problem is that Brawl was SO different from Melee. I don't think we'll get another Smash that contrasts its predecessor the same way.

Also the full game is far better than the demo.

I'd like to know as well, one of the few things I don't remember

What is weta? I don't remember that.
Do you guys want nightmares?

kirby_fox

Banned
I'll miss these times we've had SmashGAF. Even though I didn't talk much on here, it's been fun waking up to check the thread and seeing reactions and what have you.

Jealous of everyone getting at midnight...there's a reason I don't bother preordering.

Until DLC speculation, keep smashing GAF.

random25

LOL luckily we have the game in a few hours from now so WeekendGAF is pretty much over for now.

Some highlights of SmashGAF

- Rayman trophy confusion
- "Shulking Dicks" that almost never happened
- Lucina a clone or an alt arguments
- ESRB leaks

D-Man

I'm about to head out for a midnight release. I'm giddy with excitement right now, SmashGAF! It's finally here!

Esiquio

No Wal-Mart, Target or GameStop is selling the controller adapters in my area. Wal-Mart doesn't have them, Target won't be carrying them, nor will Toys R Us, according to a manager there. GameStop has some but they are all pre-ordered already, and can't sell them at midnight, they have to wait until tomorrow morning. Ugh.

It's the gif with the weta biting someone's finger, right?

First of all, why was this posted in SmashGAF?
Second, why is everyone freaking out about it? It's really not that bad.

Can I link it?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
VsKU9bm.gif

original.gif

Kjellson

OH GOD PLEASE DONT ASK

shut up

SHUT UP

You don't wanna know.

Do you guys want nightmares?

don't even Google it

I just did.

NOOOOPPPPEE
Now I'm REALLY curious! I don't want to google if it's something nasty. Tell me!!!

Isn't weta some sort of gigantic bug though? Don't really see a connection between that and Smash...

random25

Can I link it?

Just don't for the sake of the sanity of this thread lol.

Anyway, is online patch available now?

No Wal-Mart, Target or GameStop is selling the controller adapters in my area. Wal-Mart doesn't have them, Target won't be carrying them, nor will Toys R Us, according to a manager there. GameStop has some but they are all pre-ordered already, and can't sell them at midnight, they have to wait until tomorrow morning. Ugh.

God damnit, not even Walmart? I got the same speech from all 3 Gamestops in my area, echoing your statement about it maybe being available tomorrow.

Kjellson

Can I link it?
Oh hey now I remember.

I think I was really drunk while it was posted so my memory is a little hazy, lol.

andymcc

Banned

MY gamestop only has about 12 of the 40 or so preorders they have for the game. They got in zero adapters for the preorders.

Chase17

Is this the first time nintendos let you preload a game before release. It's pretty nice cuts down time before smashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom