• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superbot still alive, seemingly hiring for new PSASBR

J-Tier

Call of Duty sells zillions. That doesn't mean it has memorable characters that can exist outside of the Call of Duty universe and resonate with people that aren't necessarily Call of Duty fans.

Because the initial focus of the series was on multiplayer and not single player. Use a more comparable example like Halo. You know, the green armor guy.

Card Boy

Banned
Heavenly Sword sold 2 million, InFamous has sold multiple millions, Bioshock must've probably sold multiple millions, MGS games featuring Raiden have sold many millions. All well known characters. What's the problem?

Raiden, Big Daddy, Mishima and Dante is not the issue here. It's inflating the roster with crap like 2 Coles (1 is fine), Toro, Fat Princess and stuff that hasn't being relevant since the PS1.

Derrick01

Banned
Uhh how is Toro not a big classic sony character? You do realize how big that character is over in Japan right?

No because I live in the west where most of the world's gamers live. He should have been a japan only character in that case as I've never even heard of it. Definitely should not have been in over Snake or Cloud.

Noi

Man, for all the shit I give this game for it's roster, even I wouldn't say Parappa is a bad choice.
KuGsj.gif

Him and Dan Fortesque were the neat choices I was hoping the game would have more of.

A shame Dan turned out to be garbage in-game. I'm pretty much not playing it until Kat comes out.

No because I live in the west where most of the world's gamers live. He should have been a japan only character in that case as I've never even heard of it.

C'mon Derrick.

Folder4000_marthbig.png

Here's a question for folks who actually like the game. Should they have not taken a risk by implementing the super kill system?

I personally wanted a "Sony Smash" title for ages, since Smash for the 64 popped into existence (as I lived a spoiled life getting all the systems), but I'm not sure of what the implications would be by implementing a more Smash-like system, or a health bar system.

I don't think the 'only supers get kills' system is bad in theory. I think how they chose to implement it undermined it, the whole timed rounds with no scores until the end thing takes away from the immediacy of the fighting.

For the sequel I propose that they make the main mode a 'first to X score' system, keeping the +2 points for a kill, -1 for a death in tact and then actually surface these scores in as obvious a way as possible. Actually give people feedback as to how well they are doing. Honestly whoever thought having people flail about for 3 minutes with nothing to go on is a fucking moron. Terrible idea, that people immediately said was a terrible idea, but Superbot didn't listen and look where that got them.

prwxv3

Raiden, Big Daddy, Mishima and Dante is not the issue here. It's inflating the roster with crap like 2 Coles (1 is fine), Toro, Fat Princess and stuff that hasn't being relevant since the PS1.

I will give you Fat Princess and the 2 Coles but Toro is a good choice.

Carl

No because I live in the west where most of the world's gamers live. He should have been a japan only character in that case as I've never even heard of it. Definitely should not have been in over Snake or Cloud.

I've never heard of pretty much ever single character in SSB, therefore the only character should be Mario. See how this works? Yeah.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why are people correlating sales alone for icon status? Also why are people using regional arguments?

Hilariously enough that's my argument against PSA's cast - only Toro and Heihachi feel relevant to the Japanese cast.

No, i was saying why i liked it. Not that it "isn't enough". I like it because it's unique and fun. Those two definitely come a huge distance about "oh but there are only three kill styles"

But see, that's not my point in argument. We're arguing about the functions of a system and stuff like "I like" is irrelevant for arguing a position for that.

Carl

So you want characters that represent Playstation, but none that "hasn't been relevant since PS1"? I'd say that, if anything, they needed MORE PS1 games.

Also, it was either 2 Coles or no Coles, so they didn't really have a choice.

People fucking love Parappa. He's not a marketable name but his game is a classic PS1 game and I won't hear differently.

There's a reason so many gamers know the words "You gotta believe!" and "Punch! Kick! It's all in the mind!".

A shame Dan turned out to be garbage in-game. I'm pretty much not playing it until Kat comes out.

Aww, really? That's a bummer. :/

Agent X

They got great combo and stage ideas.

and the game as it is , is a terrible spectator game.

I agree with both of these. The stages are actually very cool. But like you said, it's just a tough game to watch. I had enough difficulty following the action even as a participant in the game.

Fine, I'll entertain you. Compare KO via vitality vs KO via super. Vitality (a.k.a. life bar) has a basic goal for a KO - because it's very open, it allows any form of attack to pretty much knock out a character. A weak punch can take down an opponent. This allows multiple ways to kill. The same way cannot be said for KO via super. Yes you would argue that "you can gain supers many ways" but the point is that the kill itself is still relegated to 3 types. Hell, even Smash's KO via ring out has more options still because all attacks have different knock back properties.

I agree with this, too.

I like the way that super moves are treated in Capcom fighting games, too. We could take this all the way back to Super Street Fighter II Turbo. The super was essentially an amped-up special move. It was usually more difficult to execute a super, but more rewarding if you actually connected with it, because you often got a cool multi-hit combo, and a flashy graphical display if you used it as a finisher.

I don't like supers as the only KO mechanic, for the reasons you described. I especially dislike "insta-win" supers. They don't belong in any fighting game, let alone one that has such a reliance on supers as a KO mechanic. There's no faster way to sap the excitement out of a fight.

Derrick01

Banned
I've never heard of pretty much ever single character in SSB, therefore the only character should be Mario. See how this works? Yeah.

I'm pretty sure a hell of a lot more people recognize Link, Pikachu, Samus, Luigi and Donkey Kong than fucking Toro. Come on man.

Not that there hasn't been ridiculous choices in those games either like Jigglypuff. They at least made sure they covered most of their legends first though.

rofl?

You act like Toro took one of their spots. Big surprise! He didn't.

Like I said, peopel that "HATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" fighting games shouldn't be complaining about balance, or how "broken" a fighting game is.

Reminds me of the same people who complained that "exploiters" would just exploit mvc2 and spam combos.

Carl

I'm pretty sure a hell of a lot more people recognize Link, Pikachu, Samus, Luigi and Donkey Kong than fucking Toro. Come on man.

Pretty sure the point went over your head. My point was just because I/You haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be in there.

Also, i have no idea who Samus is, just throwing that out there.

So you want characters that represent Playstation, but none that "hasn't been relevant since PS1"? I'd say that, if anything, they needed MORE PS1 games.

Maybe Superbot didn't have much choice but somebody on the Sony production side should have told Sucker Punch to stop being dicks and have some common sense.

Boss Doggie

Surely stuff that people like is the most relevant thing in the world.

People don't know what they like though - they have a tendency to like shit which promotes more shit being made. Probing something is a much better approach.

But then Smash has characters like Lucas and Marth. My argument in PSA is that it lacked exotic characters save for 1 (Toro).

J-Tier

Not that there hasn't been ridiculous choices in those games either like Jigglypuff. They at least made sure they covered most of their legends first though.

Dude, your ignorance is not why this roster isn't as good as it can be. There's a difference, the roster has more potential, but it doesn't suck just because "you don't know". Toro is VERY well-known in Japan, and they are a potential consumer just like you are. An entire country. Y'know.

Pretty sure the point went over your head. My point was just because I/You haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be in there.

He's talking about the cool guy in orange armor, Metroid. Man, Metroid, he's so boss.

i think 2 coles is straching the roster a bit. but i think the roster choices where soe what of a problem.

it seems Sony took money from anyone who wanted to advertise their upcoming game. its shame thy couldnt get, crash,spyro or lara. or even cloud or squall.

No, it was the direction Insomniac took the franchise that killed it. Resistance 2 was a massive departure from the RFoM and they really fucked up the story as well. Fans wanted a proper sequel to RFoM, gritty, grey and depressing, we got a colourful sci-fi game. It's like they lucked into RFoM and then it was back to normal service for R2 and R3.

Both sequels to Resistance were not worthy of a strong marketing campaign, and we have seen that when a game is worthy, Sony pull out all of the stops. Take Uncharted and RFoM, both launched early in the generation, and both were very well received by critics and fans alike and both games had a very long tail ending up shipping over 3m copies each before their sequels arrived. This is where the similarities end, Uncharted 2 took everything that was awesome about Uncharted and made it better. R2 took everything that was awesome about RFoM and threw it away. Sony marketed the shit out of Uncharted 2 because it was worthy of the campaign. There is no use in marketing a game if it is shit, poor word of mouth will kill it anyway and make it very frontloaded. R2 just wasn't worthy, and the poor quality of the game killed the franchise and then it got supplanted by MW anyway.
Very true, I must say. It doesn't seem to apply to their handheld marketing strategy, though. Send Gravity Rush and LBP Vita out to die, yet spend millions marketing Burning Skies, AC3:L and COD:BLOPS:D?

Never forget.

Derrick01

Banned
Snake and Cloud are not Sony characters.

Neither is Dante, Big Daddy and Raiden but they're in there for some reason.

What? Dude I hate Nintendo now and never got into Metroid and even I know who that is.

Carl

what? How about only one Cole? Putting 2 Coles in demonstrates to people Sony hasn't got the goods. ?

They couldn't have only one. Sucker Punch said that if they used Cole there had to be two of them. Sony studios usually maintain some sort of control over their IP with this sort of thing, so it's totally up to SP.

Same reason ICO/SOTC characters weren't in - Team ICO didn't want them in

Dude, your ignorance is not why this roster isn't as good as it can be. There's a difference, the roster has more potential, but it doesn't suck just because "you don't know". Toro is VERY well-known in Japan, and they are a potential consumer just like you are. An entire country. Y'know.

but the GAMERS are in the WEST.

Boss Doggie

I agree with both of these. The stages are actually very cool. But like you said, it's just a tough game to watch. I had enough difficulty following the action even as a participant in the game.

I thought some stages could get some reworking. The good stages I can think of are Sly, Resistance, Killzone, and Ratchet and Clank. However they just have to ruin it with those annoying "boss background" enemies.

Wait, people are talking smack about Parappa, Sir Dan and Spike?

The fuck, those inclusions were 100% fanservice

Spike looks really odd though. It's as though he was "westernized" into a cartoon.

gazele

Banned

Why was it two Coles or none

Nevermind, good that they get another shot at it

Derrick01

Banned

Well for Sony's sake then I hope the game sold more than 88,000 combined copies over there.

Card Boy

Banned
They couldn't have only one. Sucker Punch said that if they used Cole there had to be two of them. Sony studios usually maintain some sort of control over their IP with this sort of thing, so it's totally up to SP.

Same reason ICO/SOTC characters weren't in - Team ICO didn't want them in

Just throwing it out there, there is no reason why Sony couldn't include both Coles without taking up an extra slot.

Maybe a power up or Super could make him turn into Evil Cole for abit? Just a very late suggestion.

Carl

What? Dude I hate Nintendo now and never got into Metroid and even I know who that is.

Yeahh i've never played one. Seen Metroid threads but don't remember ever entering them. The name definitely rang a bell but i didn't know who it was. Same can be said for lots of their characters in SSB, looking at the character list. Point is, just because i don't know who they are, doesn't mean they aren't good inclusions

Carl

Just throwing it out there, there is no reason why Sony couldn't include both Coles without taking up an extra slot.

Maybe a power up or Super could make him turn into Evil Cole for abit? Just a very late suggestion.

Seeing as SP said they had to have 2 Coles, yes there is a reason.

They had to ask permission from the studios that made the games. Thats also the reason for no ICO/SOTC reps. Pretty shitty of them in my view but its a good idea to not piss off their studios.

doesnt sony own the studios and ip and could veto this. i understand studios waning to maintain characer integrty but having 2 coles in he game is pretty dumb.

do they play differntly at all?

Carl

Again, i'd like to point out that i agree the character list definitely has some notable absenses and could be greatly improved. But it definitely isn't terrible.

J-Tier

doesnt sony own the studios and ip and could veto this. i understand studios waning to maintain characer integrty but having 2 coles in he game is pretty dumb.

do they play differntly at all?

They play rather differently besides the normals. I'm personally still a bit salty about there being two though.

And yes, Sony could veto that, but Superbot isn't Sony.

Top Bottom