• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superbot still alive, seemingly hiring for new PSASBR

2-3 years I think.

Sounds about right. If the sequel is next-gen, I hope they get more time to be able to make a bigger game as well as a prettier one.

More importantly, I hope the collaborating studios don't play hardball. Either "yes" or "no", don't do special terms BS like two Coles, compromises suck and everyone suffers for them.

Carl

doesnt sony own the studios and ip and could veto this. i understand studios waning to maintain characer integrty but having 2 coles in he game is pretty dumb.

Sure they could, but they wouldn't. Sony are supposed to be pretty lenient with their studios

Noi

Again, i'd like to point out that i agree the character list definitely has some notable absenses and could be greatly improved. But it definitely isn't terrible.

I disagree, but not quite for the reasons Derrick stated. I'm tired of saying my argument though, so I'll just leave it at saying the current roster doesn't target as many of Sony's fanbases as it could.

It does cover everything that's immediately relevant to Sony's maintstream IPs right now. I guess that's something.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't even think a lot of the characters should be taken out necessarily. Ideally the game would have most of the characters it currently has but all of the ones it SHOULD have as well resulting in a huge lineup but one that pleases everyone.

The problem is when it doesn't have the characters it should the natural instinct is to look at weak links in the lineup and replace them.

edit: And that story about sucker punch is awful. As if I didn't dislike that studio enough already.

IMO PSallstars is a good party game. So far it is a solid fighter but that can change with the discovery of tech and patch updates.

What I dislike was the bare single player mode (was expected), medium size cast (DLC can fix that I guess in time), and I think thats about it.

J-Tier

I disagree, but not quite for the reasons Derrick stated. I'm tired of saying my argument though, so I'll just leave it at saying the current roster doesn't target as many of Sony's fanbases as it could.

It does cover everything that's immediately relevant to Sony's maintstream IPs right now. I guess that's something.

Yeah, I do agree with you actually, the roster doesn't live up to its potential at all. If it was purely first party and thorough, I'd have been extremely happy with that.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
doesn't make much sense, but maybe Sony invested too much in this to see a newborn franchise die so horribly

leroidys

It's deserved in a lot of ways. It has a terrible lineup and it relies too much on easy to get, yet overpowered supers. The core gameplay is there but now they need to make it and everything else up to the level that smash bros is at since it's quite clearly what they want it to be.

I think Dante vs Raiden vs Kratos vs Nariko is pretty fucking awesome.

Honestly, they probably need a game designer even more than a UI designer.

The instant kill super mechanic is a dumb gamplay mechanic and level 3's being guaranteed is a fucking atrocious idea. I played 4 or 5 rounds with some friends and we all pretty much universally agreed to go play smash bros instead for the rest of the night.

pantsmith

Here's a question for folks who actually like the game. Should they have not taken a risk by implementing the super kill system?

I personally wanted a "Sony Smash" title for ages, since Smash for the 64 popped into existence (as I lived a spoiled life getting all the systems), but I'm not sure of what the implications would be by implementing a more Smash-like system, or a health bar system.

It would be interesting to see them keep the supers for kills mode, and just add a bunch of different modes on top of that so that everyone has something they can get behind.

Classic Mode could be exactly how it is now, and then they add the option to disable supers and turn the meter into a health bar, or disable it all together and go with something like King of the Hill or Capture the Flag that were discussed as possibilities. Maybe even add a Smash or Dissidia esque mode where the meter affects the gameplay in different ways, instead of granting supers.

Kusagari

I think Dante and Raiden were mostly fine choices. Problem is we got DINO instead of the Dante synonymous with the PS2 and Raiden, with no Snake, probably just made people even more likely to assume its a shitty Smash clone. Can't even get the main MGS character which Smash got, after all.

I think Dante and Raiden were mostly fine choices. Problem is we got DINO instead of the Dante synonymous with the PS2 and Raiden, with no Snake, probably just made people even more likely to assume its a shitty Smash clone. Can't even get the main MGS character which Smash got, after all.

i think snake was not in it eacuse they would give him his same super from brawl, which 4 characters have is PSA

J-Tier

Yeah, unpopular version of Dante is well...unpopular.

As for the Snake thing...I bet he's exclusively saved for Smash at this point. No way Nintendo would be chill with a rival using the same character and potentially upstaging them with a better (or worse, who knows) moveset.

Noi

I don't even have a problem with Raiden. I'm only miffed that it's exclusively MGR Raiden, with the ONLY MGS2 related thing being his pre-order DLC costume.

Shit, all of his icons are the in-game Raiden model in different poses. What the hell happened?

J-Tier

I don't even have a problem with Raiden. I'm only miffed that it's exclusively MGR Raiden, with the ONLY MGS2 related thing being his pre-order DLC costume.

Shit, all of his icons are the in-game Raiden model in different poses. What the hell?

Probably the only thing they could get from that license. They probably could've put Metal Gear Ray too though without getting in trouble.

Raonak

Banned
I liked the game, it's nice to actually have a good smash-clone on non ninty consoles.
This, and ragdoll kung-fu are the only 4p brawlers on ps3.

we already have too much 2D fighters, it's starting to get saturated, and GOW is going for the powerstone feel.

I hope theyre prepping for Super PSASBR. or something like that.

The instant kill super mechanic is a dumb gamplay mechanic and level 3's being guaranteed is a fucking atrocious idea. I played 4 or 5 rounds with some friends and we all pretty much universally agreed to go play smash bros instead for the rest of the night.

Level 3's are not guaranteed. I've seen plenty of level 3's go by with not a single kill.

Oh fuck yes yes! I hope to god this is true, All-stars was a great first run at it and helped establish some mechanics, test out an online infrastructure and create some interesting character move sets. Everything else was lacking.

A sequel that brings a professional presentation (menu's, stories, UI, ect) and loads it w/ extra content (not just icons/minions) could be an amazing thing. Especially for PS4! I hope this works out!

Different experiences. I also had friends over and we played All-Stars, went to Smash and then back to All-stars. Smash Bro's is a much more relaxed, fan, stress free game. If you lose in Smash you don't feel all that responsible (accidental deaths happen), in Allstars if you lose you know your skills were lacking. While I do think Smash is more crazy fun, Allstars is much more rewarding (like a traditional fighting game is). I think a sequel would benefit from a more relaxed party mode (stage deaths, health bars ect) and also having the traditional ranked mode (as it is now). So it could be played serious or just for fun.

It depends on the character. PaRappa will always kill whoever is on screen with his. But if you use his Level 2 correctly, you could kill more than three.

So what you are saying is that its meter management with risk/reward thought process? And here I thought lvl3 supers were broken as shit.

Leezard

Level 3's are not guaranteed. I've seen plenty of level 3's go by with not a single kill.
Which emphasizes one of the problems with the super system; some characters have vastly superior supers. You might see a couple of characters miss all kills during a lvl 3, while other characters like sackboy is essentially guaranteed to wipe out all enemies twice.

Noi

It goes back to what I said earlier, the super system is flawed because not all supers are created equal. You have characters with shitty level 3's that just do a simple screen clear, and others with level 3s that score you kills just by walking into slow-moving bubbles.

Providing alternate ways for characters with shit supers to get points would make a world of difference.

man where was Sonic

they could have had a sweet Rooftop Run level with the giant titan dude from God of War 3 smashing up the clocktower in the background and fighting the Flying Battery, would have been the bee's knees

superbot pls hire me, I will take Weetos as payment

Which emphasizes one of the problems with the super system; some characters have vastly superior supers. You might see a couple of characters miss all kills during a lvl 3, while other characters like sackboy is essentially guaranteed to wipe out all enemies twice.

Sackboy was nerfed (He's no longer godly). And yes, like a fighting game, characters have differing pro's/cons. There are still some new-player friendly characters (Kratos/Raiden) that are easier to get kills w/, but a skilled player can circumvent that.

sleepykyo

They've been trying to balance that as the stronger supers do take more meter. Those bars are not the same across characters or even levels.

Kusagari

man where was Sonic

they could have had a sweet Rooftop Run level with the giant titan dude from God of War 3 smashing up the clocktower in the background and fighting the Flying Battery, would have been the bee's knees

They would have had Shadow instead.

Leezard

Sackboy was nerfed (He's no longer godly). And yes, like a fighting game, characters have differing pro's/cons. There are still some new-player friendly characters (Kratos/Raiden) that are easier to get kills w/, but a skilled player can circumvent that.
His ap gain and super costs were nerfed, his lvl 3 super is still just as godly when used, though.

J-Tier

Isn't Heihachi's guaranteed?

And they are pretty much all guaranteed. If you don't get 3 kills with one, you probably set the controller down.

Screenwipes are guaranteed, that includes Heihachi. Gives you three kills. It's the question of why would you use it that matters. Everyone else's level three has the potential to score more, and many level 2s can score more than three.

Rorschach

This is a stupid complaint, but this game would be better imo if the characters where bigger on screen.

Sometimes I get lost in the shuffle when there are three guys bunched up and one across the screen. Explosion = where did I go?!

Screenwipes are guaranteed, that includes Heihachi. Gives you three kills. It's the question of why would you use it that matters. Everyone else's level three has the potential to score more, and many level 2s can score more than three.

I only know of a couple of level 2s that can score more than 3 kills... where do you get "many" from?

That said, Heihachi's is one of those level 2s. :p

They would have had Shadow instead.

FVQrj.png

J-Tier

Sometimes I get lost in the shuffle when there are three guys bunched up and one across the screen. Explosion = where did I go?!

I only know of a couple of level 3s that can score more than 3 kills... where do you get "many" from?

Everyone but the screenwipe level 3s? You have to work at it, but the potential is there for all of em.

Haha, probably would've been the case. Also, Ninty would've been mad at Sega if they let Sonic show up in a rival crossover. Like, super mad.

Leezard

They've been trying to balance that as the stronger supers do take more meter. Those bars are not the same across characters or even levels.
That would have been fine if they actually were well balanced. It's just a couple of characters that are out of line, but it still sours up the system.
When the only way to win is by these supers, it is important that they aren't unbalanced.

Takao

Banned
man where was Sonic

28.png
42.png
18.png

J-Tier

err I meant level 2s, sorry.

Ah, I see. With level 2's, it's basically the transformation and summoning one(s). Raiden, Big Daddy, Parappa, Fat Princess, Sly, Ratchet, and Heihachi all have that potential. Against good players though, it's unlikely.

Noi

Isn't Heihachi's guaranteed?

And they are pretty much all guaranteed. If you don't get 3 kills with one, you probably set the controller down.

Or I should congratulate the skilled player who managed to completely evade my ho-hum level 3.

Top Bottom