• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superbot still alive, seemingly hiring for new PSASBR

Why? It's stuff like this that makes me less confident in buying anything from Sony. They need to learn that when something's a failure you learn from it - you don't keep doing it. I swear ps4 better not be $599...

Or I should congratulate the skilled player who managed to completely evade my ho-hum level 3.

As a Sly player I usually just dissapear and players forget to look for me xD

I've never had problem matchmaking on the Vita. I guess all those free copies don't count on NPD (from amazon bundle + PS3 version)

rdrr gnr

It's not much of a surprise. Most vita owners already own a PS3, and even then vita owners are rather small in number. That plus, getting the vita version for free...even the fans of the game didn't buy the vita version, basically.
What an abomination.

8k is embarrassing.

prwxv3

It was obvious that the Vita version sales were going to be super low because of Cross buy. I doubt it costed much to port it though.

I-hate-u

I honestly think Sony sees their game projects midway during development then decides weather or not they should heavily market the games or not. Maybe they say its a dud midway during dev and just push it out instead of cancelling and therefore not lose a lot of money.

It becomes really apparent when u look at Sony's successful games like Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Gow compared to Twisted Metal, Starhawk or PABR.

Why? It's stuff like this that makes me less confident in buying anything from Sony. They need to learn that when something's a failure you learn from it - you don't keep doing it. I swear ps4 better not be $599...

You can't learn from it in a sequel? Jesus, the amount of games that would have died from that logic is sad.

28.png
42.png
18.png
Yes, finally a good web comic.

I-hate-u

It was obvious that the Vita version sales were going to be super low because of Cross buy. I doubt it costed much to port it though.

It ran on an engine made Bluepoint who made the vita version. The PS3 version might be the ported sku lol

Derrick01

Banned

And that really popular Amazon black friday bundle had the vita version in it. Like I said between those two factors they gave away way more copies than they sold.

And that really popular Amazon black friday bundle had the vita version in it. Like I said between those two factors they gave away way more copies than they sold.

Yep, if you look at PSNProfiles they track 12k owners for the PS3 version and 7k owners for the Vita version.

For comparison sake, they track 380k owners for LBP, 294k for U3 and 63k for U:GA. So a probably you have to multiply those for a factor between 5 to 15 (since it's a very new game).

Would be fun if it wasn't a Smash type of game this time around.

Power Stone please.
Yes please this. I'm shocked at the low sales but then again not really because their decision to go 2-D fighter made no sense. The big selling point with the original PlayStation was 3-D gaming, and pretty much every single character they included on the roster are part of 3-D games. After playing the beta I liked the game for the most part but haven't bought it (yet) because it just doesn't feel like I'm really playing as these characters I know.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Hopefully they get their shit together... it's unfortunate that they're sticking with SB, but we'll see what they can do this time around. They really need to expand the rosters and add some more levels, but most imporant, make sure the game is ready to actually launch, don't just shove some 50% project out on the market like they did this time.

game designer? i thought that was seth's job? him and clockwork are probably the only reasons i cared about this game.

honestly though, i didn't bother to pick it up. i probably will on the cheap, but is it really unbalanced/not fun gameplay-wise? from the beta, i thought the super system was questionable, but it was mostly due to some characters having either useless or op supers. i was hoping the retail release would be more balanced, or at least improved with planned patches.

They got the gameplay down perfectly, they just need to fix up everything surrounding it. Online infrastructure seems to be a mess, single player content is super repetitive and boring, UIs are bland and so on.

As far as the character roster goes, If they can't get big third party characters, don't bother with them. Replace them with Quark, Nefarious, Zeus, Robbit or whoever. Replace Radec with a generic Helghast because that's what is most iconic about that series and similarly, replace Spike with a generic ape (having both would be fine too).

Use way more old stuff. Even from Sony's library of franchises, where's the Lemmings, Q*bert, Jumping Flash, Colony Wars, etc. references?

Oh and don't release the next game at full price. I think the first game will do much better once the price drops a bit, similar to LBP and R&C, so just start at that price from the very beginning.

JazzmanZ

I like how some people think Toro is a waste of space when they've obviously never been in Japan before.
If anything the only real problems with the Roster is Big Daddy, DINO Dante, Evil Cole and Raiden.

Everyone else is a playstation character so they're fine.

Loudninja

Hopefully they get their shit together... it's unfortunate that they're sticking with SB, but we'll see what they can do this time around. They really need to expand the rosters and add some more levels, but most imporant, make sure the game is ready to actually launch, don't just shove some 50% project out on the market like they did this time.
They build the studio to make the game,who else would make it?

This makes no sense to me.

Misterhbk

I like how some people think Toro is a waste of space when they've obviously never been in Japan before.
If anything the only real problems with the Roster is Big Daddy, DINO Dante, Evil Cole and Raiden.

Everyone else is a playstation character so they're fine.

Evil Cole is beast. Don't hate on him. He's as much a playstation character is good cole

Not even 100k sales between ps3 and vita on the NPD is selling good? Last I saw it debuted like 40th in the UK too.

Yeah, I really can't see how, outside of blind fanboyism or lots of drugs, anyone can say it's selling remotely close to "good". It outright cratered everywhere, from what data we have so far.

bluemax

Banned
Why do people dig into Sony so much over unsuccessful IPs? I don't see Nintendo get it over Kirby, Kid Icarus, Last Story, Xenoblade, Excitetruck etc.

Have you seen the ends Nintendo fans go to justify the shit tastic controls of the new Kid Icarus game? They're unreasonable people.

jrDev

man where was Sonic

they could have had a sweet Rooftop Run level with the giant titan dude from God of War 3 smashing up the clocktower in the background and fighting the Flying Battery, would have been the bee's knees

superbot pls hire me, I will take Weetos as payment
People keep asking for sonic and snake. Has anyone ever stated there might be a contract on those two to not be in the game?

Jamix012

Have you seen the ends Nintendo fans go to justify the shit tastic controls of the new Kid Icarus game? They're unreasonable people.

How about the controls are not bad at all and you're missing one of the best games created this year by not giving it a proper chance.

Codeblue

How about the controls are not bad at all and you're missing one of the best games created this year by not giving it a proper chance.

I think everyone would be a lot happier if we had a mandatory seminar on what subjectivity is when you create an account.

Opiate

The game itself is not of interest to me (nor is Smash), but this I do think this should be strong example for future reference that getting a sequel does not mean the initial game was profitable.

There have been other cases of this (Dead Space comes to mind) where a company has invested so significantly in a franchise that backing out seems more costly than cutting your losses and moving on.

Why do people dig into Sony so much over unsuccessful IPs? I don't see Nintendo get it over Kirby, Kid Icarus, Last Story, Xenoblade, Excitetruck etc.

Nintendo is a lot better at hiding failure, it seems. These are the guys that lost the console generation twice in a row and came back stronger than ever. No-one gives a shit if they release a bomba or two, because it doesn't really matter. They're Nintendo. They get through shit. Also, their games are probably cheaper to make than Sony's (I can't prove this in the slightest but they're a generation behind plus they never really go for the tech angle- Excitetruck looked like it cost 6p to develop.)

Meanwhile, Sony's unsuccessful IPs can result in people publicly losing their jobs. People want to tut.

Also, let's get real: none of those games did as badly as, say... PSASBR is doing now.

They got the gameplay down perfectly, they just need to fix up everything surrounding it. Online infrastructure seems to be a mess, single player content is super repetitive and boring, UIs are bland and so on.

As far as the character roster goes, If they can't get big third party characters, don't bother with them. Replace them with Quark, Nefarious, Zeus, Robbit or whoever. Replace Radec with a generic Helghast because that's what is most iconic about that series and similarly, replace Spike with a generic ape (having both would be fine too).

Use way more old stuff. Even from Sony's library of franchises, where's the Lemmings, Q*bert, Jumping Flash, Colony Wars, etc. references?

Oh and don't release the next game at full price. I think the first game will do much better once the price drops a bit, similar to LBP and R&C, so just start at that price from the very beginning.

I agree with this.

I love the core gameplay, it's just missing everything else. Feels super bare bones.

I think the series certainly has potential and is worth giving another shot.

That seems like a waste of money. Give it to Capcom instead who have been doing this for 25 years.

Shiet, make it Playstation vs Capcom for all I care

Why the hell would Capcom develop that when they can do their own games, make them multiplatform and get more money? Your suggestion is completely ridiculous. And the people making Capcom's fighting games nowadays have only been working on them for a few years, so no, they haven't been making them for 25 years.

SuperBot have some smart people there that have done a quality job with the gameplay, there's no reason at all to get rid of them, especially if the intent is to continue making fighting games.

Jamix012

ctrl-f "Sakurai"
hits: 6
I can find too.
I seem to have struck a chord by being positive about a Nintendo game in a Sony thread. All I did was defend a game from what I deemed unfair criticism. I've been a junior for around 6 months at this point and hovered around far longer. I've seen numerous threads about controls and Kid Icarus Uprising manages to make it as quite a few people's "most intuitive" or "best" controls as well as "worst."
I don't want to derail the thread at this point so if you really have a problem with my statement I guess I'm sorry? I only came in here to express my happiness that PSAS is getting a sequel and then found something I disagreed with on the way.

Loudninja

Why the hell would Capcom develop that when they can do their own games, make them multiplatform and get more money? Your suggestion is completely ridiculous. And the people making Capcom's fighting games nowadays have only been working on them for a few years, so no, they haven't been making them for 25 years.

SuperBot have some smart people there that have done a quality job with the gameplay, there's no reason at all to get rid of them, especially if the intent is to continue making fighting games.
Agreed.

Top Bottom