• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperDaE is threatening to release lots of secret Xbox One info if he is arrested

http://kotaku.com/next-gen-hacker-superdae-threatens-to-leak-troves-of-ga-509968073

The FTP, whose files are not yet accesible, supposedly contains material grabbed by SuperDaE's hacks into Gears of War and Unreal Engine developer Epic, World of Warcraft studio Blizzard, Sleeping Dogs dev house United Front Games and the now-shuttered publisher THQ, among others.

The FTP also apparently contains software development kits for the PS4, Xbox One and Wii U as well as possible old code for unreleased games such as Company of Heroes 2 and WWE 14. The Epic directory includes folders for Unreal Engine 4 and UE4 projects called Fortnite (an announced game), Kilo, Lima and Orion.

"It only leaks if I get arrested," SuperDaE told Kotaku today. Asked why he expected to be arrested, he said, "I'm not expecting anything. I'm just making a political statement."

So he's doing it for the attention?
If whatever he has doesn't leak then nobody will mention his name again.

Hopefully, if he has the dump, he could delay, or even scrap the machine with draconian practices.

Oh come on. You can't be serious? At best, we'll get some juicy bits about shifty internal practices or something. MS's Xbone train has left the station, and it'll charge on regardless of criticism.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Do we know how he even got the dev kits? He's already a sack of shit for trying to sell them.

its obvious that microsoft gave them to him to hype up the console.

now that microsoft blew the reveal they are once again calling upon his services to hype up the console for E3 by releasing "information" about "cool things"

Won't the security key be less useful if you have to connect it to the internet as a requirement?

Swat, window, taze, mace, Arby's.
Teach his ass a lesson.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
My favorite bit is Totilo including the "possibly old code" for WWE 14.

He could just copy and paste WWE 13 code and it'd be the same shit.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Won't the security key be less useful if you have to connect it to the internet as a requirement?

Swat, window, taze, mace, Arby's.
Teach his ass a lesson.

What if the security code actually takes away the need of being always online?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
http://kotaku.com/next-gen-hacker-superdae-threatens-to-leak-troves-of-ga-509968073

The FTP, whose files are not yet accesible, supposedly contains material grabbed by SuperDaE's hacks into Gears of War and Unreal Engine developer Epic, World of Warcraft studio Blizzard, Sleeping Dogs dev house United Front Games and the now-shuttered publisher THQ, among others.

The FTP also apparently contains software development kits for the PS4, Xbox One and Wii U as well as possible old code for unreleased games such as Company of Heroes 2 and WWE 14. The Epic directory includes folders for Unreal Engine 4 and UE4 projects called Fortnite (an announced game), Kilo, Lima and Orion.

"It only leaks if I get arrested," SuperDaE told Kotaku today. Asked why he expected to be arrested, he said, "I'm not expecting anything. I'm just making a political statement."
Added to OP. Thanks.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It only leaks if I get arrested
jCbFCGxpIcPOU.png

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Either way, this idiot is screwed. Say they acquiesce to his little demands. It'll only be until the console is fully spoiled during E3 and then they'll arrest him, add on some extraneous charges and nobody in the world will give any more of a shit than spending 5 seconds clicking on the story on some forum or Reddit or whatever.

What if the security code actually takes away the need of being always online?
Well that's possible but I thought it was take far more work. It's not just having it run whatever code you want but I thought you would have to make some major changes to remove that function.

Arrest him right this fucking second and use your time to change the keys before launch.

Casanova

Microsoft has denied all affiliation with his arrest. How the courts handle this is not up to Microsoft as Microsoft did not actually press charges and this is a federal crime.

Meaning, for the most part, that he will end up being charged and sent to prison for this, regardless of whether or not Microsoft attempts to intervene with the trial. Therefore, we should expect some extremely juicy details fairly soon.

: )

Microsoft has denied all affiliation with his arrest. How the courts handle this is not up to Microsoft as Microsoft did not actually press charges and this is a federal crime.

Meaning, for the most part, that he will end up being charged and sent to prison for this, regardless of whether or not Microsoft attempts to intervene with the trial. Therefore, we should expect some extremely juicy details fairly soon.

: )

? IF MS doesn't have anything to do with it or press charges, why would he even be arrested>

Radec

What secrets?

The ones they will unveil this E3? lol

Arrest this guy.

-MS will allow used games just like the 360, but Sony won't.
-Xbone will be more powerful than the PS4. ("Buy a Durango and you won't end up with crap.")
-Xbone doesn't require an online connection, but the PS4 likely requires it.
-Basically anything bad about the Xbone was refuted and attributed to the PS4

Haha, it turned out it was reversed.

Artorias

Banned
It really does sound like a Batman plot.

And with the same major hole in his scheme: He arbitrarily gives authorities enough time to thwart it and take him to jail.

This is the slow as molasses conveyor belt with a 9 hour timer before it hits the chainsaw. Gosh, I wonder what they'll do?

antitrop

Freedom of speech? It's not like he is assassinating the president or anything.
"The right to freedom of expression is recognized as a human right under Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and recognized in international human rights law in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). Article 19 of the ICCPR states that "[e]veryone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference" and "everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice". Article 19 goes on to say that the exercise of these rights carries "special duties and responsibilities" and may "therefore be subject to certain restrictions" when necessary "[f]or respect of the rights or reputation of others" or "[f]or the protection of national security or of public order (order public), or of public health or morals"."

Does "respect of the rights or reputation of others", with others being all of the corporations that he has information on fall under possible "certain restrictions"? I'm sure it does.

I'm sure they can come up a dozen good reasons to delete his Twitter account and it won't break a single law.

It's Freedom of Speech*

markot

Banned
? IF MS doesn't have anything to do with it or press charges, why would he even be arrested>

Crimes are crimes whether they are purused by those involved or not.

For instance, if you punch someone in the face and the police arrest you, you will be charged with a crime, even if the person whos face was punched didnt want it to be.

Under certain circumstances, copyright infringement and extortion (blackmail) are both federal crimes.

Well you don't see the FBI lined up to arrest people in china.
There was no blackmail before this and he was already in danger of being arrested.
Does selling a dev kit even count as copyright infringement.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Oh come on. You can't be serious? At best, we'll get some juicy bits about shifty internal practices or something. MS's Xbone train has left the station, and it'll charge on regardless of criticism.

There is no justice outside of your jurisdiction, Birdman. You'd like to think it could keep on chugging along like a nice little train filled with presents to the unknowing victims of malice. There's always a possibility it can be derailed. Who's side are you on anyway? You'd make a terrible lawyer for consumer/human rights.

The OS could be using 3GB of ram to record you in 1080p 30fps, and then send it to the always online 300k virtual servers.
That could be terribly juicy, and could save people from humiliation/incrimination. The home is a private place.

Afrikan

Juicy Secrets...
the true reasons of Kinect and why the OS needs 3GBs of RAM?

that would be Juicy......but if it's just Gears and WWE 14 info....that's one hell of an attempted bluff..lol

Casanova

"The right to freedom of expression is recognized as a human right under Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and recognized in international human rights law in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). Article 19 of the ICCPR states that "[e]veryone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference" and "everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice". Article 19 goes on to say that the exercise of these rights carries "special duties and responsibilities" and may "therefore be subject to certain restrictions" when necessary "[f]or respect of the rights or reputation of others" or "[f]or the protection of national security or of public order (order public), or of public health or morals"."

Does "respect of the rights or reputation of others", with others being all of the corporations that he has information on fall under possible "certain restrictions"? I'm sure it does.

I'm sure they can come up a dozen good reasons to delete his Twitter account and it won't break a single law.

It's Freedom of Speech*

I think "certain restrictions" refers to restrictions of speech regarding certain governmental establishments.

"False statements of fact" exceptions are limited to false statements.

I'm no professional of the law, however, so take what I say lightly, and I encourage you to research this to your own will.

EDIT:

He doesn't fall under the U.S. Federal law though.

I'm sorry, I thought he was in the U.S.

I really need to read up a little more before posting sensitive info like that.

Sorry for the confusion, everyone.

Leaking that info will be glorious for fanboys but it won't do any good for SuperDAE, it will probably get him a worse sentence. I don't think he wants to sit in prison for a longer time...

Patryn

Freedom of speech? It's not like he is assassinating the president or anything.
Freedom of Speech doesn't work like that. It only means the government can't restrict your speech. Twitter, as a private company, can do whatever the hell they want to restrict you.

In fact, by not shutting it down they could be opening themselves up to a lawsuit from the companies for assisting in copyright violations.

Afrikan

Leaking that info will be glorious for fanboys but it won't do any good for SuperDAE, it will probably get him a worse sentence. I don't think he wants to sit in prison for a longer time...

how did SuperDAE allow himself to get to this point?
how was his life before his friend exposed him to the beginning of the end of him.

antitrop

Freedom of Speech doesn't work like that. It only means the government can't restrict your speech. Twitter, as a private company, can do whatever the hell they want to restrict you.

But Twitter has no direct interest in this outside of pressure from the FBI, Microsoft, and the other companies dae has information on.

I'm sure they wouldn't take much convincing, though.

Top Bottom