• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperData:PlaystationVR will be $400-600, estimates 38million VR devices sold in 2016

Portugeezer

The only thing I've heard is that it will be around the cost of a new platform. $400-$600 fits given that, though I would expect closer to $400 than $600.

Shuhei already clarified that people took that the wrong way, I can't remember which interview it was though.

platocplx

If Gear VR costs $600 to get into because you need a phone then you might as well say Oculus costs $1500 because you need the PC.

Not many are really going to buy a phone just to get Gear VR, you're either going to use Gear VR to sway your decision on what phone to buy as your daily driver or you already own a Galaxy-line phone and think 'yeah, let's check that out'.

well you do need a PC with certain specs so yes saying you need a PC that can support it is apart of your cost of ownership.

Yes the GearVR for some people is swaying people on what phone they want next right now. I see it every day when I see people trying it out.

Ive also tried the PSVR and for all that goes into it. its not going to be current gen console priced when this is a new tech. You have a lot going on where again as with the samsung phone you need at least 500 bucks worth of hardware to drive the experience sans headset.

Then why are you even discussing VR, since that's what VR is. It's like me opining about garden tools when I have no interest in gardening.

And it is going to appeal to more than hardcore gamers. It's just going to take time.

...this is a thread about VR sales projections and literally the entire point is predicting how it'll be received by the mass market.

If you misinterpret what I'm saying as any kind of "hate" for the hardware itself, its games, or its owners, that's on you.

nadnerb 64

Neo Member
For PSVR, I don't think it can go over 300 at a price point. At that rate, you are still spending Less than the console. It still is a hefty price tag but I'm glad to see Sony keeping their projections in check. VR will not come out and do gang busters but in a few years, it could take off in a big bad way if it is still supported (ie NOT PS Move)

HotHamBoy

I hope Samsung VR is bad then. Because I tried that and wasnt impressed at all except by this scary creepy abandoned hospital demo where you can look everywhere.

Gear VR borders on novelty toy. But a lot of the experiences are poor. Some are fantastic. It depends, like any software or movie.

Mifune

Mehmber
...this is a thread about VR sales projections and literally the entire point is predicting how it'll be received by the mass market.

If you misinterpret what I'm saying as any kind of "hate" for the hardware itself, its games, or its owners, that's on you.

It is? I thought it was about PS VR pricing not VR adoption as a whole.

Not hate just sheer ignorance, but that's par for the course in these threads.

papo

It doesn't need to. It's not supposed to be mass market just yet, it just will be in the future. First generation, as in anything else, is geared towards enthusiasts. Which is why all the people saying "VR will flop!It will crash and burn!" are pretty dumb.

Well it may flop because the video game market does not work like that. We don't usually get multiple generation of consoles( or the same console) to get user to adopt the hardware. We get the PS4/XboxOne and wait for user to adopt them. That is something we see in phone markets and one thing I've gamers are cheap for.

For example if PSVR releases at anything close to $400 it will flop and there won't be a gen 2 or revision because of it. It reminds me of PS Move

HotHamBoy

A big part of the problem is that the Big 3 have hyped up a lot of tech "revolutions" for their game consoles that have failed to deliver. So people are understandably wary. What they don't get is that VR isn't in the same league, it's a whole different game.

I saw promos for motion control. It looked awesome. I tried it and it kind of sucked.

I saw promos for kinect. It looked awesome. I tried it and it kind of sucked.

I saw promos for VR. It looked awesome. I tried it and it WAS AWESOME.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
My guess for PSVR will be $450 - $500. I just don't see it costing less than that, honestly.

viHuGi

Banned
*Googles cardboard VR*

DODOcase_VR5_1024x1024.jpg

Wait, someone tell me this is a joke, right?

LOL wtf

bethore

It can't launch above $400. The PS4 launched at $400. Having a peripheral cost more than the console itself is going to drive away a lot of people. I know Sony already said to expect a console price, but I'm expecting a $300-$400 range. Consoles typically don't cost more than that.

Kimawolf

499.99 for PSVR and 699.99 for Vive. Those are my predictions.

Don't knock Cardboard. It's an amazing experience for that price.

Piggus

Everyone gets mad at me when I say it'll be $399 and cost more than a PS4 but I'm not saying it to be a dick or smart ass.

I genuinely feel in order for them to cram VR tech into a headset and processing unit and say "it'll cost as much as a new gaming platform" while breaking even or making a profit it'll at least be as expensive as the PS4 launch price.

The tech itself isn't really that advanced or expensive to produce though. It's similar to what's in a cell phone minus the CPU, RAM, battery, storage, etc. The expensive bits are the screen and sensors, but it's pretty unlikely that those will add up to a product that costs as much or more than the PS4. Sony doesn't have to make as much on every PSVR sold the way Oculus does.

Mifune

Mehmber
The tech itself isn't really that advanced or expensive to produce though. It's similar to what's in a cell phone minus the CPU, RAM, battery, storage, etc. The expensive bits are the screen and sensors, but it's pretty unlikely that those will add up to a product that costs as much or more than the PS4. Sony doesn't have to make as much on every PSVR sold the way Oculus does.

CPU, RAM, and storage are kind of a big fucking deal, though.

It's more of a platform than an accessory, it just happens to have dependency issues.

I was thinking about it earlier and wondered if maybe VR could become not just a platform but THE platform itself. In the next 10 years the "console" is actually just your headset and the games/decent amount of computing are handled by streaming/the cloud. The headsets are sold well under cost but you have to subscribe to whatever subscription model to play games, online etc.

And VR is going to be refreshed like cellphones. Expect new models every 9-12 months, for sure. Maybe not for PS VR seeing as their's is a unique position, but definitely for Oculus and Vive. Every tech breakthrough is going to improve comfort and immersion substantially, so much so that no one will want to use or return to older devices at all. But price is going to come down too, and eventually things will get to a "good enough" point where people hold on to their headsets for longer.

Cellphones have been getting refreshed for a long time now and the new models still come out at a high/premium price. I'm sure that costs will decrease some but if they go chasing the bleeding edge or it is just that successful a $400-600 new model every year could be a possibility.[/QUOTE]

38 million is an aggressive prediction. I really can't see any of these high end headset's coming in under $500 unless heavily subsidized. Which is a ton of money for a device with such a narrow focus. VR isn't a smartphone, at least not yet.

platocplx

samsung s6 right now runs for at least 500 to power a gear VR though. it needs the processing power and even then the phone can overheat after some time. people lowballing these figures really have no idea what it really takes it just sounds good.

Piggus

CPU, RAM, and storage are kind of a big fucking deal, though.

Yes, and they're not part of the PSVR, which is why I don't understand such high predictions for the price. Nobody has provided a compelling reason why it should cost Sony $300+ to build.

samsung s6 right now runs for at least 500 to power a gear VR though. it needs the processing power and even then the phone can overheat after some time. people lowballing these figures really have no idea what it really takes it just sounds good.

The PS4 handles the processing power, not the headset. You also might want to look up how much it costs Samsung to build an S6. It's a different business model. Again, look at the components actually used in a VR device.

If PSVR is $400 for the bundle, but I can get it for $300-350 since I already own a camera and 2 Move wands, I will be happy.

HotHamBoy

I was thinking about it earlier and wondered if maybe VR could become not just a platform but THE platform itself. In the next 10 years the "console" is actually just your headset and the games/decent amount of computing are handled by streaming/the cloud. The headsets are sold well under cost but you have to subscribe to whatever subscription model to play games, online etc.

Cellphones have been getting refreshed for a long time now and the new models still come out at a high/premium price. I'm sure that costs will decrease some but if they go chasing the bleeding edge or it is just that successful a $400-600 new model every year could be a possibility.
[/QUOTE]

The market for touchscreen/smart phones runs the price/specs gamut. They didn't fully replace flip phones for several years and at the time they were premium all the way. Now you can get a phone that may not be cutting edge but is still much cheaper than the original iphone and way better.

inner-G

Banned
I'm torn on whether I'd like 'real' VR games like PS will focus on vs being able to try more 'indie experiences' like will be available on PC.

Still not sure if I want one either way, but if the software is there I'll bite eventually

Sephon

I bought one of the last Pioneer plasma TVs for around 3500 USD, so if I can get all 3 major headsets for 2100 USD and sell my current tv for a good price, I'll hopefully break even and get a cheap samsung TV for the social evenings.

I find it reasonable. It's not just a new peripheral, it's a new way to experience digital visual information, and it's about damn time it's here.

Nafai1123

Banned

I'm not sure I understand your point. PSVR does not have an S6 inside of it. It's powered by the PS4.

Mifune

Mehmber
Yes, and they're not part of the PSVR, which is why I don't u fer stand such high predictions for the price. Nobody has provided a compelling reason why it should cost Sony $300+ to build.

Okay, but PS VR comes with a GPU booster. That's gotta cost something.

EDIT: Misunderstood your point about cellphones.

Nafai1123

Banned
Okay, but PS VR comes with a GPU booster. That's gotta cost something.

EDIT: Misunderstood your point about cellphones.

No it doesn't. The processing unit unwarps the image to the TV and provides some processing power for binaural audio. That's it. The parts cannot cost that much.

Vandiger

I bought one of the last Pioneer plasma TVs for around 3500 USD, so if I can get all 3 major headsets for 2100 USD and sell my current tv for a good price, I'll hopefully break even and get a cheap samsung TV for the social evenings.

I find it reasonable. It's not just a new peripheral, it's a new way to experience digital visual information, and it's about damn time it's here.

I think Hololens can replace TVs, PSVR, Vivre, Rift...don't think so.

Piggus

Okay, but PS VR comes with a GPU booster. That's gotta cost something. And how cheap do you think cellphones are?

GPU booster? More like an inexpensive ARM chip that aids in spitting the image into a separate stream for TV viewing. There's no way that little box has anything remotely powerful in it.

Also, the price you pay for a new phone does not reflect the actual cost to build the phone. How much do you think a small 1080p display and some motion sensors costs?

I mean people can predict what they want, but after the PS Vita and PS4, it should be clear that the Gaf consensus when it comes to price predictions can be extremely cynical and misinformed. Sony has moved away from highly customized components (EE, Cell, etc) to a more cost-effective off-the-shelf solution for parts.

But what's more important in this case is the difference in business models Sony and Oculus/HTC can go in. Oculus has to make a reasonable profit on every Rift sold, hence a price more in line with cell phone pricing. Sony on the other hands can use a more traditional console business model approach where the goal is to sell as many units as possible at little or no profit and then rake in the money from game sales/licensing. The cost of the Rift in no way predicts the cost of PSVR.

SpecX

I'm all for VR is the price is right. I don't want to jump into a platform that starts off hot and then end up with nothing more to offer. PSVR needs to focus on more than games and can't end up like the Vita.

platocplx

Yes, and they're not part of the PSVR, which is why I don't understand such high predictions for the price. Nobody has provided a compelling reason why it should cost Sony $300+ to build.

The PS4 handles the processing power, not the headset. You also might want to look up how much it costs Samsung to build an S6. It's a different business model. Again, look at the components actually used in a VR device.

this explains a lot of what goes into the PSVR there is processing that the PS4 will do but there is still additional processing thats separate as detailed here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1133195

the OLED Screen, the quality of the lenses the build of the headset it all comes into play especially if this is a new manufacturing process. its going to cost money especially in the begining.

its not going to be anything under 450 or less and thats a bottom barrel price sell at a loss price.

The total buy-in is cheaper (because PS4 costs less than a VR capable PC) but that says nothing of the price of PSVR. It looks like a premium piece of kit, well put together.

I guess when you look at it that way, it kind of is a subsidization. PS4 vs. high-end PC, no doubt which of the two is cheaper even if you throw VR on top .

Would definitely rather pay say $700 for a full VR package vs. $1600-$1700.

Going by how cheap most console owners are. Anything over 39.99 will flop. If this prices out the broke then people will just say it sucks and start a wave of negativity.
Anyone expecting real VR for $40 must be playing in the wrong kind of snow this winter.

platocplx

No it doesn't. The processing unit unwarps the image to the TV and provides some processing power for binaural audio. That's it. The parts cannot cost that much.

"Sony has designed a small breakout box that splits the signal to two displays. I was told that the console does the heavy work of warping the image to work properly on the HMD. The warped signal is delivered to the breakout box through one HDMI cable. The received signal is then fed to the PSVR HMD, and then a second signal is unwarped and delivered to the TV. Sony said that this can either mirror the image shown on the display, or it can deliver an entirely different scene to both displays." - http://www.tomshardware.com/news/playstation-vr-london-heist-demo,30244.html

yes its true the ps4 does the heavy work but its not just audio provided from the box. this article also shows the whole setup using the move controller.

Mifune

Mehmber

Well, it does enough to require a fan.

What is Oculus Rift doing that necessitates a 600 dollar price tag then? Since the PC is doing all of the heavy lifting.

I can certainly believe that some form of VR is, if not "the" future of gaming, at least a significant part of it.

But I don't believe that any implementation of VR involving a bulky headset that cuts off all external visual input will ever be more than niche.

(While prohibitively expensive for now, HoloLens looks like a more viable avenue in the long term.)

Cutting off all external visual input is sort of a requirement for virtual reality. HoloLens is not VR.

Piggus

Well, it does enough to require a fan.

What is Oculus Rift doing that necessitates a 600 dollar price tag then? Since the PC is doing all of the heavy lifting.

Oculus doesn't receive a share of game sales for most games that will support Rift. Sony will receive a share of sales for every game that supports PSVR. Sony can afford to price PSVR much like they price a console, whereas the Rift has to be priced like a phone.

Top Bottom