• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperData:PlaystationVR will be $400-600, estimates 38million VR devices sold in 2016

Death2494

1.9 million PSVR in 2016 @ $399.99 would be a resounding success considering Sony doesn't expect to move nearly that many (not over million) in the first 12 months of its release.

Death2494

$299 is the sweet spot, but I think it'll launch at $399.
VR in its current form is not intended for any average consumer. They are focused on the enthusiast who will purchase VR @ $800. Im completely fine with paying $400 for PSVR. I also know im not the only one.

you are a sony exec? of course they care they have overlapping markets/demographics. also Oculus serves as a good barometer for VR interest for sony.
Calm. If I was a Sony exec I would be too drunk to type now, as hard as I had celebrated the oculus price.

Sony cared when they heard that oculus price was astronomical.
But now they will focus on their pricing, seeing how they can pick up this chance to become the synonyme for VR for the masses.
And I am sure that a foolish competition price will not lead to "hey, let's be just a little less foolish ".

I honestly think Sony will be smart with the pricing of the vr, they will already have a lot of contracts in place for screens etc to be made since they have their phone division. They also know that if someone is willing to spend a few hundred for a device. You are probably going to buy a few games with it or shortly after so they are going to be making a nice chunk of change there to recoup some money.

I think adding both those points lean towards Sony going no higher than £300, £350 at most but hopefully the lower end.

One final point about that post earlier stating that nvidia thinks there are 13 million pcs capable of using vr. Its funny considering how many pc gamers laugh at the idea of ps4 being a bigger success with vr yet if that facts true Sony have 23 (27 by the time it comes out) million more customers that could buy their device compared to pc devices. And after the price announcement for the rift, it's even more funny.

1.9 million PSVR in 2016 @ $399.99 would be a resounding success considering Sony doesn't expect to move nearly that many (not over million) in the first 12 months of its release.
I know Sony has said this, but let's not forget that is a PR statement.

In my opinion, Sony is pulling another format war right under our noses. They want a toe-hold on this new VR format, and they're no stranger to it (not only did they push Blu Ray, but they also went into 3DTV harder than Microsoft or Nintendo, at least in the console space).

They have a vested interest in making a VR a success beyond just gaming. Sony already said they're going to do non-gaming experiences (movies? 360* vacations? Concerts?) and Sony is very well positioned to deliver that sort of content, on a much larger scale than either Vive or Oculus. Also, take into account the fact that Sony is a hardware manufacturer. If they sell these they're bolstering yet another branch of the company.

They may say they're only hoping for a few million, but I think they're hoping and planning for a Wii-like breakout success.

EDIT: For your consideration:

PS1 - CD
PS2 - DVD
PS3 - Blu Ray
PS4 - VR

Sony is no stranger to pushing formats with their consoles, and they do it very, very effectively.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
That's just how tech like this is. The main thing seperating this particular tech versus others is comfort and immersion. Each breakthrough will mean everything before it is obsolete, and breakthroughs will happen quickly.

No, it won't be for everyone - certainly not early on, but people are always resistant to totally new technology, which is always expensive and niche at first. PCs were available in the 80s but not mainstream until the mid 90s. Same with VCRs before that. Same with cell phones. There were plenty of holdouts for smartphones, HDTVs and DVDs.

No one said it was going to happen overnight. 10 years from now, though, boy I wish I could feed you and everyone else that crow myself.

Book this post, print screen it, do whatever you want. You are so incredibly dead wrong. I will Gladly mark the date.

Vilifier

Neo Member
I think all these low end mobile VR experiences could hurt the adoption of VR in the mass market. When consumers have bad experiences with a product, even if it is a low end device, they will spread negativity about the product, and this will scare away people from trying the more expensive products which were designed to be immersive and reduce the typical issues users have had with the earlier VR models such as nausea and headaches.

I do think VR is the future but it is worrying that it may hit a speedbump that slows down adoption, if mobile VR or PS4VR ends up being a poor experience. Plus there will be hit pieces from sections of the media/blogs that hate this kind of technology, and will look to paint it as socially bad.

EvB

I know Sony has said this, but let's not forget that is a PR statement.

In my opinion, Sony is pulling another format war right under our noses. They want a toe-hold on this new VR format, and they're no stranger to it (not only did they push Blu Ray, but they also went into 3DTV harder than Microsoft or Nintendo, at least in the console space).

They have a vested interest in making a VR a success beyond just gaming. Sony already said they're going to do non-gaming experiences (movies? 360* vacations? Concerts?) and Sony is very well positioned to deliver that sort of content, on a much larger scale than either Vive or Oculus. Also, take into account the fact that Sony is a hardware manufacturer. If they sell these they're bolstering yet another branch of the company.

They may say they're only hoping for a few million, but I think they're hoping and planning for a Wii-like breakout success.

EDIT: For your consideration:

Sony is no stranger to pushing formats with their consoles, and they do it very, very effectively.

You forgot UMD :p

The main key point of difference here is that VR has no place in bolstering sales of Sony Music,Movies,TV's or Other electronics that also work with said device.
It's a SCE exclusive product that will not be getting the backing and support from the other divisions, because it does not benefit them.

Sony tried to push 3D game support with PS3, because Sony was trying to sell TVs. Once it was clear it they weren't selling enough TVs, it was dropped from PS3 games and never spoken of again.

They made a HUGE fuss about PS3 and its games were all FULL HD 1080p, because they wanted sell more 1080p TVs.

I'm not saying that PSVR won't be succesful, but those examples don't apply here.
Right now, it's simply a gaming peripheral. A damn cool one.

papo

Sony's PS Move failed. It failed because they didn't support it.

They asked us to pay$400 for the new PS4 and they had that price having one over MS and X1, but are now asking us to shell out as much if not more than that price? For an accessory for a console that has under performed hardware wise?

Is anyone here not mad/outraged/concerned about that?

Personally at anything above $250 I won't bite more so because I don't know how well it will be supported and going by what they have done in the past it could go wrong. I would rather have paid $600 for a better PS4 in 2013 then I would consider maybe paying more than $250 for their VR headset.

jaypah

I honestly think Sony will be smart with the pricing of the vr, they will already have a lot of contracts in place for screens etc to be made since they have their phone division. They also know that if someone is willing to spend a few hundred for a device. You are probably going to buy a few games with it or shortly after so they are going to be making a nice chunk of change there to recoup some money.

I think adding both those points lean towards Sony going no higher than £300, £350 at most but hopefully the lower end.

One final point about that post earlier stating that nvidia thinks there are 13 million pcs capable of using vr. Its funny considering how many pc gamers laugh at the idea of ps4 being a bigger success with vr yet if that facts true Sony have 23 (27 by the time it comes out) million more customers that could buy their device compared to pc devices. And after the price announcement for the rift, it's even more funny.

Who are you talking about? Most of the PC gamers here that are interested in VR are of the opinion that PSVR will our sell Vive/Rift, even more so in the short term. Discuss the quality difference between the two, sure, but I don't recall there ever being much favor for PSVR not being the bigger seller. It's probably cheaper and attached to a mainstream console.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

They asked us to pay$400 for the new PS4 and they had that price having one over MS and X1, but are now asking us to shell out as much if not more than that price? For an accessory for a console that has under performed hardware wise?

Personally at anything above $250 I won't bite more so because I don't know how well it will be supported and going by what they have done in the past it could go wrong. I would rather have paid $600 for a better PS4 in 2013 then I would consider maybe paying more than $250 for their VR headset.

Under-performed how? Why outrage? If Mercedes releases a new $200k car and you can't afford it, are you outraged? Just don't buy it and get on with your life.

Lmfao@27million low end/mobile! Thanks I haven't laughed that hard in a while

Every time I see "analyst predicts" I think "wizard of marketing vaguely guesses for hits"

Up to you to determine the value. Not understanding the comparison of VR to move support. Check back again in a few years and you may have your answer.

That said... RIGS is fun as hell.

You forgot UMD :p

The main key point of difference here is that VR has no place in bolstering sales of Sony Music,Movies,TV's or Other electronics that also work with said device.
It's a SCE exclusive product that will not be getting the backing and support from the other divisions, because it does not benefit them.

Sony tried to push 3D game support with PS3, because Sony was trying to sell TVs. Once it was clear it they weren't selling enough TVs, it was dropped from PS3 games and never spoken of again.

They made a HUGE fuss about PS3 and its games were all FULL HD 1080p, because they wanted sell more 1080p TVs.

I'm not saying that PSVR won't be succesful, but those examples don't apply here.
Right now, it's simply a gaming peripheral. A damn cool one.
The difference is that vr has a hell of a lot more potential when it comes to experiences compared to previous media ventures - games, movies, music visualisation or actual videos, tourism, educational software and even more in vr.

Sony have the businesses that are already in place to take advantage of this potential with their movie studios, music division, TV contracts ect.

With all the reports we have had about lots of companies investing in vr, not just from a tech perspective but also software it's clear vr is going to be big everywhere and Sony know how much their various divisions could benefit from it. The fact kaz is in charge now means he knows the potential of the ps4 and further have with bolstering the business as a whole and not just silo'd.

Who are you talking about? Most of the PC gamers here that are interested in VR are of the opinion that PSVR will our sell Vive/Rift, even more so in the short term. Discuss the quality difference between the two, sure, but I don't recall there ever being much favor for PSVR not being the bigger seller. It's probably cheaper and attached to a mainstream console.
I have read many times from pc gamers on here about how silly it was to think PSVR would sell more than PC devices. You may have not encountered it but I know I'm not the only one who has. It's almost reminiscent of the 'ps4 has no games etc.' stuff you hear from xbox fanboys.

jaypah

My speculation is 18m units across Rift, Vive, PSVR, and GearVR sales.

More than enough to seed a new medium!

Which as a VR fan is all that matters. The pissing match means little to me because all I'm interested in is more content being created.

papo

Under-performed how? Why outrage? If Mercedes releases a new $200k car and you can't afford it, are you outraged? Just don't buy it and get on with your life.

The PS4 has totally under performed hardware wise. All those issue with games not being able to reach 1080p and other technical issue because the console specs are not that great and some are outdated. You can't deny that. It has done great in the market, but it is not as amazing a console as people think

As for your example. If Mercedes released a 200K car that underperformed mechanically and later released a 200k windshield for it that made the experience better wouldn't you be outraged they didn't focus on making the car better for a bit more?

Like I said I would rather have paid $600 for a better console than get this expensive VR set that is basically a niche product.

Up to you to determine the value. Not understanding the comparison of VR to move support. Check back again in a few years and you may have your answer.

That said... RIGS is fun as hell.
I bought Move day 1 and probably only used it in the Sports game and RE5. They didn't really focus too much on supporting it which I am afraid they will do with PSVR if it doesn't sell as much as they spect.

I feel like I'm the only person who could not possibly give less of a shit about VR. I see these things and I just think "instant headache".

OneUh8

$399 is my max I will go as long as their is software compelling enough at launch. If it is $299, I will probably buy it day 1 no matter what.

jaypah

I have read many times from pc gamers on here about how silly it was to think PSVR would sell more than PC devices. You may have not encountered it but I know I'm not the only one who has. It's almost reminiscent of the 'ps4 has no games etc.' stuff you hear from xbox fanboys.

Weird. I frequent VR threads as I'm in love with the tech and I don't think I've seen this even once, especially considering PC gamers seem to understand that high-end rigs aren't mainstream. Ah well.

Weird. I frequent VR threads as I'm in love with the tech and I don't think I've seen this even once, especially considering PC gamers seem to understand that high-end rigs aren't mainstream. Ah well.
Hey, to be fair I am probably assuming they are mostly pc gamers but it could very well also be ps haters/people who lack the ability to see the big picture.

Either way, for the people who do feel that way, I think they might be in for a surprise from Sony. As someone else said, it's like the opinions of the ps4 price with 8gig memory where they expected it to be priced higher than it was.

geordiemp

VR in its current form is not intended for any average consumer. They are focused on the enthusiast who will purchase VR @ $800. Im completely fine with paying $400 for PSVR. I also know im not the only one.

Yeah I would pay £ 300 tops, which is over 400 $, but no doubt UK will get screwed on exchange rate. That would be for the basic Box and headset, no need for controllers or camera, already have them

demigod

6.6m for PC VR? Goodluck with that. So how did they end up with $400-$600 when they say it'll be $50 more than ps4?

Have these tards predicted anything correctly? Someone should let them know Oculus is $599 so they can change their predictions.

Banned
The tech itself isn't really that advanced or expensive to produce though. It's similar to what's in a cell phone minus the CPU, RAM, battery, storage, etc. The expensive bits are the screen and sensors, but it's pretty unlikely that those will add up to a product that costs as much or more than the PS4. Sony doesn't have to make as much on every PSVR sold the way Oculus does.

CPU, RAM, and storage are kind of a big fucking deal, though.
I was gonna say lol. CPUs and RAM aren't as cheap as people think. At least not the ones that are powerful enough to run VR.

DrXym

I see VR going the exact same way as Kinect. Massive initial interest and then a dawning realisation that it kinds of sucks really - an expensive peripheral, too much hassle to set up, motion sickness / vertigo / nausea, and limits on terms of the kinds of games that actually work with VR.

It'll find a niche probably for sim games and so on. I don't see it taking the world by storm once the hype dissipates.

Kimawolf

I see VR going the exact same way as Kinect. Massive initial interest and then a dawning realisation that it kinds of sucks really - an expensive peripheral, too much hassle to set up, motion sickness / vertigo / nausea, and limits on terms of the kinds of games that actually work with VR.

It'll find a niche probably for sim games and so on. I don't see it taking the world by storm once the hype dissipates.
But BR doesn't suck. That's the difference!

Hatchtag

Banned

I don't recall Kinect really having that, though. I remember people being kinda pissed off and irritated everytime Kinect showed up during a press conference.

damisa

I feel like I'm the only person who could not possibly give less of a shit about VR. I see these things and I just think "instant headache".

You're not alone. I actually did get a headache when trying it. VR is going to be the biggest bust of 2016 IMO.

Death2494

Wrong. One is complete immersion the other is no longer an integral part of Xbox One.

jaypah

Hey, to be fair I am probably assuming they are mostly pc gamers but it could very well also be ps haters/people who lack the ability to see the big picture.

Either way, for the people who do feel that way, I think they might be in for a surprise from Sony. As someone else said, it's like the opinions of the ps4 price with 8gig memory where they expected it to be priced higher than it was.

Those few people deserve to be surprised. I'm buying a PSVR but I plan to mainly use PC VR (Rift or Vive, haven't decided) but its a no brainer that PSVR will move more hardware. That's great news though as I doubt the majority of PSVR titles will be exclusive so everyone gets more software. None of this matters unless someone feels the need to drag their fanboy bullshit into VR discussions. As a VR fan I want VR in general to be a healthy business, that's the only way to continue getting my fix.

Raylan

Banned
Everything above $399 is dead on arrival. I really like everything PlayStation, but even I wouldn't buy it if it's over $399. Neither will my friends. Will be interesting to see what Sony will do.

HotHamBoy

The PS4 has totally under performed hardware wise. All those issue with games not being able to reach 1080p and other technical issue because the console specs are not that great and some are outdated. You can't deny that. It has done great in the market, but it is not as amazing a console as people think

As for your example. If Mercedes released a 200K car that underperformed mechanically and later released a 200k windshield for it that made the experience better wouldn't you be outraged they didn't focus on making the car better for a bit more?

Like I said I would rather have paid $600 for a better console than get this expensive VR set that is basically a niche product.

I bought Move day 1 and probably only used it in the Sports game and RE5. They didn't really focus too much on supporting it which I am afraid they will do with PSVR if it doesn't sell as much as they spect.

The amount of people that care about the PS4's performance abilities vs higher end PCs is clearly negligible.

The public doesn't care about grafix as much as they care about conveniently playing new games on the hardware most of their friends have. The PS4 benifitted massively from the bad PR and much higher price of the XB1 at launch and snowballed from there. But the mainstream public is not the target demo for first gen VR.

Those few people deserve to be surprised. I'm buying a PSVR but I plan to mainly use PC VR (Rift or Vive, haven't decided) but its a no brainer that PSVR will move more hardware. That's great news though as I doubt the majority of PSVR titles will be exclusive so everyone gets more software. None of this matters unless someone feels the need to drag their fanboy bullshit into VR discussions. As a VR fan I want VR in general to be a healthy business, that's the only way to continue getting my fix.
I agree completely with you about it needing to become a healthy business, I also think Sony have shown they are willing to take games that are on PC too so shouldn't have a hard time getting devs to port stuff over. You also have to think devs will want as many potential customers as possible so it makes sense to go pc and PSVR.

dr_rus

Lol at 38 million VR devices sold in 2016. I guess that I can make one myself from my hands and some duct tape to hold the phone but really, adding cardboards to the overall picture seems a bit misleading if not desperate. I also can't see PC devices selling that much better than PSVR.

The problem is that if you can't break past the enthusiast crowd it becomes far less appealing to create new software for the platform. PS4+PSVR+move controllers+VR software = expensive

VR may take a bit of time to be as big as people would like. I think it will happen but it may not be this version.

Top Bottom