• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperData:PlaystationVR will be $400-600, estimates 38million VR devices sold in 2016

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Even $399 is too high. I'd say $299 would do well for Sony.

I predict VR is going to rob them of any financial gain the gaming division made with PS4. The masses aren't going to be all over this like enthusiasts assume. At least not until prices come down to Earth.

And Sony would be wise to make this VR compatible with PS5 down the road. Don't make consumers blow big money on a pair of goggles that will be unsupported down the road.

HotHamBoy

I see VR going the exact same way as Kinect. Massive initial interest and then a dawning realisation that it kinds of sucks really - an expensive peripheral, too much hassle to set up, motion sickness / vertigo / nausea, and limits on terms of the kinds of games that actually work with VR.

It'll find a niche probably for sim games and so on. I don't see it taking the world by storm once the hype dissipates.

The comparison to Kinect, a proprietary periphreal by one company for one platform (prior to PC) that only acts as an input device, doesn't really work with an entirely new media platform that provides transformative experiences and entirely new ones, which is being developed and refined simultaneously by several large electronic giants and a plucky startup with Facebook money.

Also, pretty much any game type works with VR. It's pretty cool to use a regular control and play all kinds of established genres. It's simply neat enough to be "inside" and have that sense of depth and space.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The problem is that if you can't break past the enthusiast crowd it becomes far less appealing to create new software for the platform. PS4+PSVR+move controllers+VR software = expensive

This is a huge factor I don't think many folks think about. Without BIG sales support will be very lean. Without support from the big publishers, growth will be an uphill battle.

HotHamBoy

I predict VR is going to rob them of any financial gain the gaming division made with PS4. The masses aren't going to be all over this like enthusiasts assume. At least not until prices come down to Earth.

And Sony would be wise to make this VR compatible with PS5 down the road. Don't make consumers blow big money on a pair of goggles that will be unsupported down the road.

I'm going to say it again - VR is going to improve rapidly in every way. Physical comfort, in terms of eye strain, nausea, vertigo, wearing the damn thing, all of that will get better to the point that you won't want to wear the first gen stuff. Same with immersion and resolution. People don't seem to understand that by the time PS5 comes out the VR of that generation is going make this year's stuff look like dogshit - and feel like dogshit to use. That is something most tech doesn't have to deal with as much. Using a NES controller may not feel great but it also won't make you sick.

HotHamBoy

This is a huge factor I don't think many folks think about. Without BIG sales support will be very lean. Without support from the big publishers, growth will be an uphill battle.

It's not that hard to make a VR-supported game that also works without the HMD. Sony has over 50 confirmed games in development already. I also expect indies to lead the charge while AAA dips its toes.

But again, and this is starting to feel like shouting at a wall, VR isn't just about games. 3D/360 movies and photos and interactive film and media are also a thing. Currently on Gear VR they have social experiences that allow you to have virtual viewing parties of live broadcasts, youtube and more.

It'll obviously be supported by PS5. No one's provided legacy support for prev-gen peripherals quite like Sony.

I mean yeah Nintendo, Sega, and Atari showed bursts every now and again but Sony's been pretty rock-solid consistent with it.

DavidDesu

Why on earth would the PSVR be MORE expensive than the ps4 itself? It's a single panel screen, admittedly proprietary, potentially with a unique pixel layout and of course 120hz refresh rate, but besides that everything else is really pretty cheap parts that exist already. Some plastic casing, some LEDs, some lenses, some gyros just like in the DS4, Move or any remotely up to date mobile phone. And a processing box that's really not the powerful "2nd GPU" nonsense some very misled people claim it to be.

Why on earth will that list of mostly common components be more expensive than the PS4, with a powerful CPU, GPU, HDD, Bluray drive etc? Frankly I'm amazed at the Rift price considering DK2 was what, $350 or something and the CV does not seem to be that big a leap for the cost, other than additional nonsense like the Xbox One controller that was unnecessary.

I foresee under $400 for PSVR, and I honestly don't see just the basic headset kit being much more than $300, maybe a camera and moves bundle for $400 to $450.

If they do that PSVR can be a success. They have the ability to make money on software that Oculus does not as PS4 is a completely closed system and they can sell at cost or even a small loss knowing 'X' amount of software will make them profit in the end, and everyone buying a VR headset will Hoover up the different games and experiences that will be available to try out their new toy.

Just wait and see. Will eat crow if completely wrong, expect the naysayers to do likewise if I'm right ;)

These analysts also have the Rift and Vive combo coming in-between $300-$700, when in reality the Rift came in at $600 and the Vive is going to most likely come in at $800. So they have absolutely no idea, and I can tell you I don't think Sony is planning to bring PSVR into the market higher than the Ps4 itself. 1.9 million PSVRs sold too is a ridiculous expectation as well, probably looking closer to a million. Unless Sony comes in at the crazy price of something like $250, which then I could see it doing 1.9 million if there is the software there as well.

$300 would be worth it just for the cinema app. But, depending on how some of the games shape up, I might be willing to pay more. So far there is a couple of games that piqued my interest, namely RIGS, Robinson, Godling, and Summer Lesson.

Clockwork5

*Googles cardboard VR*

DODOcase_VR5_1024x1024.jpg

Wait, someone tell me this is a joke, right?

Well that saves me about $600. Thanks ;)

DavidDesu

$300 would be worth it just for the cinema app. But, depending on how some of the games shape up, I might be willing to pay more. So far there is a couple of games that piqued my interest, namely RIGS, Robinson, Godling, and Summer Lesson.

Yep and don't forget GT games regularly sell 5 million or so copies, everyone is dying for GT Sport and it will support VR. No one should underestimate that audience investing in VR for the transformative experience it brings to cockpit sims like this. Most people with expensive wheels will more than likely be buying PSVR at some point, it makes sense.

I think Sony have some of the best VR games on the horizon, and the most complete with games like Rigs. They're not afraid to just go all in and bring us a FPS multiplayer game when many were saying its best to ease people into VR with slower experiences. But they tested and designed what will be one of the first real complete VR games and all impressions point to it being a hit. I have faith in Sony to bring gamers something they want and it will open the doors to introducing the general console owning public to everything else VR has to offer too. Oculus are going in way too conservative with their weird focus on Xbox controller only games for the first few months until Touch is ready, and that price point, and that many would need to upgrade or buy a new PC on top of that... Yeah Sony are in the best position hands down.

Banned

You're right. At $299, Sony would lose so much money that all the profit they've made from the PS4 would be nullified. That's why it will most likely be $399.

If they do that PSVR can be a success. They have the ability to make money on software that Oculus does not as PS4 is a completely closed system and they can sell at cost or even a small loss knowing 'X' amount of software will make them profit in the end, and everyone buying a VR headset will Hoover up the different games and experiences that will be available to try out their new toy.

Just wait and see. Will eat crow if completely wrong, expect the naysayers to do likewise if I'm right ;)

Oculus is being sold at or below cost according to this statement from Palmer Lucky.

VR in its current form is not intended for any average consumer. They are focused on the enthusiast who will purchase VR @ $800. Im completely fine with paying $400 for PSVR. I also know im not the only one.

Sony have SSM making The Modern Zombie Taxi Company, that's not a game for the enthusiast crowd. Sony should make their peripheral as cheap as possible. Man, I'm real bummed about the oculus price.

It's crazy that by the time VR hits there'll probably be 3 times as many PS4's on the marked than VR capable PC's. Maybe Morpheus is going to do all right after all. I still have a hard time seeing a peripheral that's more expensive than the console itself actually being a success though, I don't think that has ever happened before.

RiverKwai

It's crazy that by the time VR hits there'll probably be 3 times as many PS4's on the marked than VR capable PC's. Maybe Morpheus is going to do all right after all. I still have a hard time seeing a peripheral that's more expensive than the console itself actually being a success though, I don't think that has ever happened before.

You also don't know that the PSVR will be more expensive than the PS4.

ramuh

Goddamn I can't wait until we get a release date, preorder and price for PSVR. I've been needing something to spice up my gaming.

So has anyone come up with a package of what Sony might be selling as the initial PSVR kit? Could it be the following or are we expecting multiple SKU's at launch? If it's the following, I can easily see it priced at $499.

PSVR Headset
Playstation Camera
DualShock 4
PS Move
Headphones (?)

jaypah

I agree completely with you about it needing to become a healthy business, I also think Sony have shown they are willing to take games that are on PC too so shouldn't have a hard time getting devs to port stuff over. You also have to think devs will want as many potential customers as possible so it makes sense to go pc and PSVR.

I trust Sony to have some quirky exclusives plus they seem to "get" the idea of same-room multiplayer so I absolutely need a PSVR. The openness and brute power of the PC route insures that I need that too. GearVR for when I'm on the go (which is great) and all bases are covered.

Memory

I really dont trust sony supporting devices. Like move and eye toy

To be fair the market spoke in both cases just like Vita, if VR doesn't sell well out the gate then yeah the same thing will happen.

Each of those products had a nice launch and starting year but the market simply did not care so the devs dropped support followed by Sony.

My main concern with VR is software,which is the main reason I'm only contemplating PSVR. PC will get the quantity but from what I've seen so far Sony will have more AAA and quality.

But then again who knows, I'll be excited to see where we are with this tech a year from now.

Guymelef

So has anyone come up with a package of what Sony might be selling as the initial PSVR kit? Could it be the following or are we expecting multiple SKU's at launch? If it's the following, I can easily see it priced at $499.

PSVR Headset
Playstation Camera
DualShock 4
PS Move
Headphones (?)

Everybody will have a DS4.

I expect PSVR Stand alone, PSVR + Camera and PSVR + Camera + 2xMove controllers bundles.

The console audience is not as tolerant of high prices as the high-end PC audience, ergo I believe the PSVR will be dead in the water if its cheaper SKU cost anything over 299, Sony should be aware of this and it seems to me that they actually want it to succeed ergo I believe they will price it at 299 or lower even if they need to take a hit.

To be fair the market spoke in both cases just like Vita, if VR doesn't sell well out the gate then yeah the same thing will happen.

Each of those products had a nice launch and starting year but the market simply did not care so the devs dropped support followed by Sony.

My main concern with VR is software,which is the main reason I'm only contemplating PSVR. PC will get the quantity but from what I've seen so far Sony will have more AAA and quality.

But then again who knows, I'll be excited to see where we are with this tech a year from now.

How can the market support a product if the company does not give a shit.

Move, vita and eye toy were sent to die

Oppo

I don't doubt you are right, but can I get a source in that? I.e. number of current VR capable PCs out there?

border

Why on earth would the PSVR be MORE expensive than the ps4 itself? It's a single panel screen, admittedly proprietary, potentially with a unique pixel layout and of course 120hz refresh rate, but besides that everything else is really pretty cheap parts that exist already. Some plastic casing, some LEDs, some lenses, some gyros just like in the DS4, Move or any remotely up to date mobile phone. And a processing box that's really not the powerful "2nd GPU" nonsense some very misled people claim it to be.

After the sticker shock on the Oculus Rift, I'm not sure why people still continue to hand-wave away how expensive VR is. "Oh it's just a bunch of pre-made parts and some plastic!" Just because something isn't custom built doesn't mean it can't have some pretty expensive components. And there's still the cost of many years of R&D on top of it all.

You also don't know that the PSVR will be more expensive than the PS4.

We don't, but if Oculus is $600 then I really doubt Morpheus is going to be below or even at $350. The tech isn't that different that it could realistic explain such a price difference and I don't think Sony are in a position where they want to lose $100+ on each unit sold.

I don't doubt you are right, but can I get a source in that? I.e. number of current VR capable PCs out there?

Sure, I saw it in this very thread:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...re-powerful-enough-to-support-virtual-reality

"Just 13 million PCs worldwide next year will have the graphics capabilities needed to run VR, according to an estimate by Nvidia, the largest maker of computer graphics chips"

Since there's already 35 million PS4's on the market now, there should easily be 40 million out there by the time VR hits or about 3 times as many as there are VR capable PC's.

KingJ2002

I was hoping 350... 399 isn't bad... it's not going to light the world on fire... Especially if there are no games that convince the user that it's worth it.

I don't believe they'll hit those targets

unless...

They focus on marketing the product as a bundle with the PS4 for 599-649... comes with everything you need to get started plus RIGS or some other game as a free title. Enthusiasts and current PS4 owners will look to buy the less marketed standalone version and that way that can have the best chance of market penetration... by having the message say "this is the playstation experience".. rather than "here's our new VR headset"

How can the market support a product if the company does not give a shit.

Move, vita and eye toy were sent to die

All of those were a reaction rather than trying to pioneer a product into the marketplace... and even so... they have effectively integrated the eyetoy (PScamera) and Move (DS4) into the core experience. This will be different for Sony and I can imagine with most of those titles not being VR exclusive... they are treating this as a complimentary way to play... as they should.

We don't, but if Oculus is $600 then I really doubt Morpheus is going to be below or even at $350. The tech isn't that different that it could realistic explain such a price difference and I don't think Sony are in a position where they want to lose $100+ on each unit sold.

Sony already has sales channel. You should be able to pick one up at Walmart instead of having one shipped to you at your own expense.

Sony knows how to mass produce hardware to achieve cost savings. That's their bread and butter.

PSVR will not include a controller since it uses the DS4. Move controllers are extra.
The camera is either extra or come in a bundle.

Is Oculus making a profit on the hardware or collecting royalties on the games like Sony does?

RiverKwai

A: We don't even know exactly what the tech is inside CV1 yet, or how it's affecting cost, let alone inside the PSVR

B: What we DO know about what's generally inside both of them shows that the tech IS actually quite a bit different. The CV1 has two screens at higher resolution than PSVR's single screen. That's probably a pretty significant price difference right there.

C: Sony MANUFACTURES hardware. It could potentially inherently be much cheaper for them to make the PSVR than Oculus, who's using custom made 3rd party hardware.

I'm not promising it'll be $350 or anything, but I think anyone who is promising that it'll be $500+ is just making shit up or assuming things that are likely not true.

Sony already has sales channel. You should be able to pick one up at Walmart instead of having one shipped to you at your own expense.

Sony knows how to mass produce hardware to achieve cost savings. That's their bread and butter.

PSVR will not include a controller since it uses the DS4. Move controllers are extra.

Is Oculus making a profit on the hardware or collecting royalties on the games like Sony does?

Oculus is selling their hardware and cost according to Palmer Lucky. They just about break even on each unit sold. I'm saying PSVR is going tobe $600 though, just that it's at least going be more than a PS4 aka $400 and upwards.

And in case you didn't know, you'll need the Playstation Camera for PSVR you work, so the bundled version is going to be the actual price for mst people.

border

I tend to feel like not a lot of this stuff will allow Sony to undercut them by nearly 50%. The cost of manufacturing a camera and a controller is completely negligible, and any savings there are probably offset by having to custom manufacture the breakout box.

Palmer Luckey today said that the Oculus "controller costs us almost nothing to bundle" and that they were already selling the headset at cost or close to it. Their business model is basically just to lose money now and make it later.

Top Bottom