• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERH|OT| SUPERHOT SUPERHOT

Hmm. How do you unlock the hard mode in the final version? I only just realised I don't have it unlocked. In the review code it unlocked when you finished campaign. Actually I think I may have stated as much in the review, so I best get that fixed.
I didn't know there was a hard mode...

Hmm. How do you unlock the hard mode in the final version? I only just realised I don't have it unlocked. In the review code it unlocked when you finished campaign. Actually I think I may have stated as much in the review, so I best get that fixed.

Its in one of the challenges. After hard mode
is impossible, which is hard but guns only have 1 bullet.

SimonM7

I didn't know there was a hard mode...

There was in the review code I played, and the challenge unlock conditions mention both "finish X levels in Hard mode" and an "Impossible" mode. I'm guessing they are the preceding unlocks.

The hard mode I unlocked in the review code made the punches "soft" and bullets travel faster.

EDIT:
Its in one of the challenges. After hard mode
is impossible, which is hard but guns only have 1 bullet.
Ah, gotcha, thanks!
_

In other news I figured out how giphy works. :)

JPxQEMrDApQ3u.gif

There was in the review code I played, and the challenge unlock conditions mention both "finish X levels in Hard mode" and an "Impossible" mode. I'm guessing they are the preceding unlocks.

The hard mode I unlocked in the review code made the punches "soft" and bullets travel faster.
_

In other news I figured out how giphy works. :)

JPxQEMrDApQ3u.gif

Ah, they've just been given different names, then. Soft punches is definitely the Throwing mode.

superhot_throwing_challenge_mode_by_digi_matrix-d9tfxec.png

SimonM7

Ah, they've just been given different names, then. Soft punches is definitely the Throwing mode.

If you scroll down a bit and look at the other locked challenges, there's mention of a hard mode. That's the one. It just unlocked immediately after finishing the campaign in the review code I played.

Just picked this up, been playing a bit and man, it's really messing with my perception of time. I was standing in the kitchen having a drink and my brain had a brief moment of shock when someone walked in while I wasn't doing anything. Really odd.

SimonM7

The katana gets stuck in walls and ceiling, so the elevator is small enough that I can throw it, grab it as it kills one enemy, turn, throw then grab again, etc

Ah! Gotcha!

On the same note as a while back, Throwing challenge is comedy gold. I keep cracking up. It's like an exercise in nailing everybody in the face with books and coffee mugs and flasks and computer mice and statues and candlesticks and paintings and their own guns, and it gets so absurd after a while I just can't stop laughing. The board room meeting is some sort of model house massacre, and you're just hopping around on the table, chucking stuff like a crazy monkey.

BPoole

Just picked this up, been playing a bit and man, it's really messing with my perception of time. I was standing in the kitchen having a drink and my brain had a brief moment of shock when someone walked in while I wasn't doing anything. Really odd.

Playing this and then switching back to a regular FPS is pretty jarring. I was playing KF2 and kept thinking the enemies would stop when I did and I was constantly bunny hopping around

GC|Simon

Bought the game yesterday, saw the credits today. This game is soooo good. Insane amount of fun. Can't get enough of it.

Lingitiz

It was fun, but after beating it, I don't have much of a desire to go back and play it. I tried the katana only challenge, and I just felt bored. I'm not a FPS fan, so that might not help, but the game didn't' grip me as well as I thought it would.

Same, enjoyed the main campaign and I'm almost done with the Katana challenge. Just not feeling much of a desire to keep playing. I really wish they had more maps than the 30 or so in the main game.

So much missed potential with this game's amount of content. It's crazy that there's no map editor or tools and such a small set of core maps recycled over and over.

Haunted

Elevator is so good, going all gun kata on people.

Gun-Kata-gif.gif

It's fun when you recognise some of the action set pieces (like the hallway from Oldboy and the Matrix chateau).

ymean the hallway literally called oldboy?

well there is that and Oldboy break in as well but they don't exactly tell you the name of the levels when first playing them. Nice surprise when you figure out some of the levels.

Endless and challenge has it's hooks in me...
giphy.gif

Mr. F

Banned
Just finished, it really is
Code:
the most innovative shooter I've played in years.

Excited for what's next from these guys, SUPERHOT related or otherwise.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm still trying to beat it, at leats is fullstop.

Made it to level 17 but not further. There is nothing as frustrating as watching a barrage of shotgun bullets just hanging in the air right in front of you and you just know it's over now.

Zom

Banned
Made it to level 17 but not further. There is nothing as frustrating as watching a barrage of shotgun bullets just hanging in the air right in front of you and you just know it's over now.

I hate the elevator, even in normal mode I have to do a lot of restarts.

SimonM7

Returning to one of the more regular modes after a Challenge run is one of the most empowering things ever. You're like WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN SHOOT GUYS?! *self high five freeze frame*

SimonM7

Has anyone managed to claim their account and log in and stuff? I noticed someone had their GAF name on a video, but for me nothing is working.

Hmm, weird seeing this as a retail game now. Last I remember this was a proof of concept tech demo from years ago. When'd they decide to go through with making a full game out of it?

BPoole

Hmm, weird seeing this as a retail game now. Last I remember this was a proof of concept tech demo from years ago. When'd they decide to go through with making a full game out of it?

There was a kickstarter roughly 2 years ago. This isn't the same as the browser game back then, though it does include some of the original levels.

Shang

This game is so fucking cool. Right away, you get a sense of how cool it is, but not until much later do you understand the breadth of options available to you.

That said, what're some of your favorite/least favorite levels so far? My favorites are the
subway station
and the
lab where you fall in from the ceiling
. My least favorites are
the last five with the core
, but if we're talking about the main levels, then
the checkpoint where you start on a car.

DirtyLarry

So it looks like for me the crashes on OS X are contained to Endless Mode, but I am guessing that has already been pointed out in the thread.
Besides that, I am actually surprised how well my Macbook Pro Retina handles it (there is some very prominent screen tearing happening, but if I enable V Sync it slows down to a crawl).
I am going to double dip on this for the XB1 unless they definitely announce a PS4 version is coming out before the XB1 release, then I will wait for that console version, but I just need to see this (properly) on my Home Theater screen and surround sound.

WoolyNinja

This is the most innovative shooter I've played in years.

This games length was perfect, the gameplay was amazing and I look forward to what more the devs add to the game.

Now I'm going to dive into the unlocked modes.

What is the point of time slowing down? Considering you don't move any faster and your actions cause time to resume its normal flow, I thought it was so that you could take things slower and more effectively plan your route, but it speeds up again as you look around to actually make those decisions.

What is the point of time slowing down? Considering you don't move any faster and your actions cause time to resume its normal flow, I thought it was so that you could take things slower and more effectively plan your route, but it speeds up again as you look around to actually make those decisions.
Think of it as a turn-based FPS. And you can literally side-step bullets

Zom

Banned

True, I cant gave you the right answer but you wouldnt be able to do all the stunts and crazy stuff without the slowmo right? (I mean you can, but you have to memorize lol)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I've thought about this a bit over the weekend, as SuperHot has been kind of stuck in my head since I first played it yesterday.

The point of the bullet time in Superhot is, IMHO, to take the twitch out of the first person shooter. Usually I'm pretty mediocre at fps games because I'm just not fast enough to excel at them, but in Superhot, well the strategic element that the bullet time allows is something you just don't get in the majority of fps games. It's pretty much a great puzzle game mashed into an fps game, none of which would be at all possible without the slowed time.

Ended up liking this game a lot less than I expected. I still love the core mechanics, but I have two major gripes:

1. the story is bad.
I get what they were trying to do, but it feels like the game sorta tries to have it both ways with making fun of indie games taking themselves too seriously and... taking itself way too seriously. All the secret zen koan bullshit is a huge snoozefest, and by the end of the game I was mashing furiously to get through the chat sequences.
To be perfectly honest, I think the game was much more effective when the demo version was just dropping you into various classic action movie scenes and letting you break them down in slow motion.

2. It's less the length that bothers me - although it's certainly part of the problem - and more the fact that I think the mechanics are sorely underused in the end.
The body-swapping mechanic is awesome, but isn't really even used to solve any puzzles - it basically just serves as a panic button, which is boring. The game feels like it's barely scratching the surface of what the core time mechanic can do, let alone what the time mechanic, body swapping, and item throwing mechanics could do for level design together.

I'm sort of bummed that, after two years or so of the Superhot demo being hailed as this incredible "wow, imagine what a full game of this would be like!" idea, I basically feel the same way about the final version. There's so much potential here, but the game is slim and worse, feels loose.

This sounds way more down on the game overall than I mean to, I guess, because I still think it's genius and I still had a good time with it. But man.

Top Bottom