• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERH|OT| SUPERHOT SUPERHOT

KooopaKid

Banned
It's a truly a shame this game is only an indie game. The concept is really underused.
Imagine with a proper budget and a big team what it could have been.
Imagine the same concept set in a Cyberpunk universe with detailed graphics like The Matrix or Cyberpunk 2077.
It would have been an instant classic like Max Payne :(

It's a truly a shame this game is only an indie game. The concept is really underused.
Imagine the same concept set in a Cyberpunk universe with detailed graphics like The Matrix or Cyberpunk 2077.
I wouldn't be surprised if more games start copying this idea now that SuperHOT is a success.

Hektor

It wouldn't work with more detailed graphics and realistic art, the reduced graphics and the single color design is nessecary for the player to see everything and therefore be able to react to it, since you die in one hit as opposed to a game like Max Payne in which you got HP and in case of the third one even a survival mechanic.

KooopaKid

Banned
It wouldn't work with more detailed graphics and realistic art, the reduced graphics and the single color design is nessecary for the player to see everything and therefore be able to react to it, since you die in one hit as opposed to a game like Max Payne in which you got HP and in case of the third one even a survival mechanic.

Naaah it would work with the appropriate audio and visual cues. You just need to highlight bullets and ennemies basically.

Quantum Break is basically the next stop from this if you're so in need of an AAA comparison.

I don't know what stops this from being an instant classic just because it's an indie game. Or why that's a shame.

Quantum Break is basically the next stop from this if you're so in need of an AAA comparison.

I don't know what stops this from being an instant classic just because it's an indie game. Or why that's a shame.

It sounds poorly worded, but I can understand someone wanting to see this mechanic blown out; running on walls, deeper story mode, etc...

But I'm happy with what it is for now. And it's crazy fun. On to endless mode!

pj

Banned
I probably should have let the hype on this one die down before buying..

The concept is neat, but the game is easy by virtue of its gameplay and the levels are pretty straight forward. It says something when the replay after beating a level is the most fun part. Also why are there so few levels and why are they so short? With the simplicity of the graphics and AI it seems like one person could bang out several a day.

The giant text on the screen during gamplay is annoying.

The "story" stuff is god awful.

*Level starts in prison cell*

YOU

ARE

NOT

IN

CONTROL

roll eyes, exit game, play flow bridges on my phone instead

I think a more interesting game would be something like this one, but at the end of a level you have to do it again in real time. The slow motion would be used to plan your path and remove a lot of the trial and error that a super fast paced game would have. Might need to slow down the projectiles but otherwise it would work.

Vex_

Banned
This feels like a strategy game more than a shooter. I like it. Also, I found the story interesting. I like how it goes into real life at the end. I feel like people who don't like it, don't "get" it.

The catch is this is a social media game. The whole point of it is to
brainwash you into wanting more, and when you are done, recruit others. It turns you into a mindless drone who has lost all control.

The whole point of you leaving your body and seeing yourself playing is symbolic. You could have just stopped playing instead of killing yourself. But in real life you want to play more, and your in game self wants to play more. So you do, but the only way to continue is to shoot yourself. When you kill your body, you hand over control. You lost the game, by continuing to play.

Neat concept.

pj

Banned
This feels like a strategy game more than a shooter. I like it. Also, I found the story interesting. I like how it goes into real life at the end. I feel like people who don't like it, don't "get" it.

The catch is this is a social media game. The whole point of it is to
brainwash you into wanting more, and when you are done, recruit others. It turns you into a mindless drone who has lost all control.

The whole point of you leaving your body and seeing yourself playing is symbolic. You could have just stopped playing instead of killing yourself. But in real life you want to play more, and your in game self wants to play more. So you do, but the only way to continue is to shoot yourself. When you kill your body, you hand over control. You lost the game, by continuing to play.

Neat concept.

lol, no, we all get it.

They could not possibly have been more obvious and ham fisted about it. After the first 15 minutes, which in fairness is about 25% of the way through the game, any normal person would know exactly what it's about and where it's heading. I
quit the game when it 'told' me to, to get the achievement that I knew would be there. The UI itself looked cool but other than that it was total filler and a waste of time.

Afrocious

I'm assuming I beat the game since I saw the credits.

Fun as hell game. Story got ham fisted though. Unless I'm missing something, I don't feel like picking it up again immediately.

Vex_

Banned
lol, no, we all get it.

They could not possibly have been more obvious and ham fisted about it. After the first 15 minutes, which in fairness is about 25% of the way through the game, any normal person would know exactly what it's about and where it's heading. I
quit the game when it 'told' me to, to get the achievement that I knew would be there. The UI itself looked cool but other than that it was total filler and a waste of time.

Exhibit A.

Prime example of someone who doesn't "get it". This is the most innovative shooter in years.

cyba89

I'm assuming I beat the game since I saw the credits.

Fun as hell game. Story got ham fisted though. Unless I'm missing something, I don't feel like picking it up again immediately.

Then you will miss the meat of the game: challenge modes and endless mode.

KooopaKid

Banned

Because it's more or less a prototype, still. The variety just isn't there and there's only 25-30 levels that are very simple, short and not complex looking (Ok that's a stylistic choice but still, no extensive texture work is required). I don't buy that they are all finely and perfectly tuned for each of the challenge modes, that's simply not true. It couldn't have been that hard and time consuming to add way more levels since they are so simple. You can design any kind of levels without much thoughts and it would work in all modes. Several levels are just one corridor for instance ffs. So finely tuned!

BTW, this concept with Vive or Hololens would work very well!

Because it's more or less a prototype, still. The variety just isn't there and there's only 25-30 levels that are very simple, short and not complex looking (Ok that's a stylistic choice but still, no extensive texture work is required). I don't buy that they are all finely and perfectly tuned for each of the challenge modes, that's simply not true. It couldn't have been that hard and time consuming to add way more levels since they are so simple. You can design any kind of levels without much thoughts and it would work in all modes. Several levels are just one corridor for instance ffs. So finely tuned!
I'm curious how much you actually know about game design or level design. Have you researched the subject or done any game dev? I don't think it's very fair to say it's simple and don't require much thought and/or time to design good levels.

The fact that each level is able to be beat in a variety of ways, due to the different challenge modifications, is a testament to how well-designed they are. A lot of deliberate environmental planning, item placement, enemy spawning, etc. makes that possible.

And personally I'm always of the opinion that fewer well-designed/crafted levels is better than more levels slapped together just so a game can have a lot of content. Quality over quantity. A concept like this shines way better on a smaller focused scale than trying to stretch it out for 100 levels.

KooopaKid

Banned
I'm curious how much you actually know about game design or level design. Have you researched the subject or done any game dev? I don't think it's very fair to say it's simple and don't require much thought and/or time to design good levels.

The fact that each level is able to be beat in a variety of ways, due to the different challenge modifications, is a testament to how well-designed they are. A lot of deliberate environmental planning, item placement, enemy spawning, etc. makes that possible.

And personally I'm always of the opinion that fewer well-designed/crafted levels is better than more levels slapped together just so a game can have a lot of content. Quality over quantity. A concept like this shines way better on a smaller focused scale than trying to stretch it out for 100 levels.

I did. I didn't say designing good levels doesn't take time but that the levels in Superhot can't have taken much time to make. The bar, the subway, the parking lot, the prison cell and several others are all extremely simple, there's nothing particularly well-designed here and I don't think it required any long planning to make them work in all modes, I think it did quite naturally (Based on Katana mode for instance). The key thing to do right is enemy spawn points and items placement. Frankly, at least 50 levels of the same "complexity" as shown here isn't much to ask. But it really depends on the size of the team but once the engine, AI and main gameplay is done, adding more levels doesn't take too much time when they are this simple, particularly if they have been working on it for 2 years or more.

I did. I didn't say designing good levels doesn't take time but that the levels in Superhot can't have taken much time to make. The bar, the subway, the parking lot, the prison cell and several others are all extremely simple, there's nothing particularly well-designed here and I don't think it required any long planning to make them work in all modes, I think it did quite naturally (Based on Katana mode for instance). The key thing to do right is enemy spawn points and items placement. Frankly, at least 50 levels of the same "complexity" as shown here isn't much to ask. But it really depends on the size of the team but once the engine, AI and main gameplay is done, adding more levels doesn't take too much time when they are this simple, particularly if they have been working on it for 2 years or more.

I think you're being a little harsh, but I would say the levels (and the game in general) does lean towards simple over subversively genius. There's not a whole lot to the levels and there's not many of them either. (I don't want to get into how much work they took, I just wanted more for my $). Endless is fine, and kinda fun for now, but ultimately feels a little pointless. But I'm definitely a gamer who prioritizes long SP content with a solid narrative hook. And I think the hook is fine here, I just wanted more of it. A few really complex levels (or maybe a lot more similarly designed ones as in the game) would have gone a long way to making me promote the game more. As it is I still feel like the game is over way too soon. It gets great right when it ends. Well, that's how I feel now. I'm just about done with Katanaonly run and plan to continue with the challenges, so maybe I'll feel different as I continue to play.

But really, when you can put 3 enemies inside an unremarkable white elevator and have an amazingly addictive 5 second loop of gameplay you've done something right. The mechanic is so good, so perfectly encapsulates my dreams of being super-powered I just never want it to end.

SimonM7

Impossible prolly still comes up short of describing the mode, but it sure ain't a cakewalk! I keep having enemies catch their own guns after I chuck something at them. Enemies with automatic weapons mean business now, too.

pj

Banned
Exhibit A.

Prime example of someone who doesn't "get it". This is the most innovative shooter in years.

Good lord. It's not that smart, and I see what you are doing.

I was expecting the achievement to have a condescending title like "good dog" or something, but I guess that was too obvious even for them. Or wait, I think they actually use that term in the game at one point. eyeroll.gif

This game's story is never a step ahead of the player, it's 4 steps behind. This crap is on the level of seeing v for vendetta when you're 18 and high

Vex_

Banned
Good lord. It's not that smart, and I see what you are doing.

I was expecting the achievement to have a condescending title like "good dog" or something, but I guess that was too obvious even for them. Or wait, I think they actually use that term in the game at one point. eyeroll.gif

This game's story is never a step ahead of the player, it's 4 steps behind. This crap is on the level of seeing v for vendetta when you're 18 and high

Exhibit B. In denial.

The game is brilliant. Not their fault you dont see it. The gameplay has some of the most replayness of all times.

You know I'm just messing with you right lol?

Impossible prolly still comes up short of describing the mode, but it sure ain't a cakewalk! I keep having enemies catch their own guns after I chuck something at them. Enemies with automatic weapons mean business now, too.
So enemies can do new things in hard mode? How do you unlock that?

SimonM7

So enemies can do new things in hard mode? How do you unlock that?

They can't technically do new things, but they're stunned for a shorter time and generally move/shoot faster. What happens is they leave their staggered state soon enough that if the gun isn't propelled away from them enough, they can just grab it again. It looks pretty comical, but them shooting you is serious. :D

Hard Mode is part of the list of challenges, so if you just bash away on those and reach at least the minimum requirements to unlock the next one, it'll unlock before long. I think all of the challenges only require five levels finished in the previous challenge to unlock.

Oh and this is "Impossible Mode" that it happens in frequently. You also only get one bullet out of every gun, there's no holding jump to slow down, and people are just generally prone to murdering you harder.

Edit: It was just updated today, and hopefully the "progress loss" the patch notes refer to is how it used to set you back a level when you exit out.

NeoRaider

New patch:

Hey everyone! It is full week after SUPERHOT release and the work does not stop for us. I wanted to give you another update on the improvements we’ve made to SUPERHOT.

We are grateful for the feedback regarding some of the issues and bugs that you encounter during gameplay. We are constantly working to fight those pesky bugs so you can emerge yourself in SUPERHOT without worry ;)

If you stumble upon a bug, please go ahead and let us know at ifoundabug@superhotgame.com.

Here is our current changelog:

-upgraded KILLSTAGRAM clips quality
-a bunch of achievements related fixes
-fixed malfunctioning weapons when picking them right after [REDACTED]
-fixed game logic bugs in [REDACTED] challenge
-fixed various random crashes in Mac/Linux versions
-fixed occasionally missing sounds issue
-fixed occasional progress loss in Challenges
-fixed bunch of minor game logic issues
-fixed another issue with performance degrading on a high-end PCs in selected cases
-fixed v-sync halving framerate in selected cases

More to come soon.

We love you, you're awesome.
Adrian, SUPERHOT Team

SimonM7

I was so fucking scared in this replay, barehand is way toooo intense. Got an amazing looking replay out of it though
https://killstagram.com/s/SoggyEqualCoralChinkara

It's funny that you use the word "scared", because that is for some reason the emotion this game elicits from me on higher difficulties as well. Death feels like a trap that's about to be sprung on me at any moment, and I just find myself involuntarily holding my breath for long periods until the level is over.

Nearing the end of "Impossible Mode" now, and I'm feeling a bit light headed.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Barehands is definitely a lot tougher but I find it way less fun because of the limitations. It's not as exciting when you don't have access to the full range of combat options.

antitrop

Ran through the story in 2 hours or whatever and enjoyed it. Story stuff was silly and dragged down the pacing, seemed extraordinarily unnecessary. Can see myself coming back to it in short bursts throughout the year just to play Endless Mode for 20 minutes or so.

DZ99ScS.gif

UE3wHQj.gif

Vex_

Banned
I like how everyone plays this game totally different from me. Every time I see a gif or a video posted, I realize how much better I am at this game than you all.

Thanks.

Drencrom

Replaying the campaign levels make it even more stunningly clear they really dropped the ball level design wise in the game. This game have so much potential to use the mechanics in new and interesting ways, potential that is wasted.

Like having a level that is timed (maybe a bomb or a gate that got a set time before you're time is up or something), forcing you to micromanage time as much as possible and move forward or something. Or more open-ended levels with you having more options and access to objects to throw and so on, like in the bar levels. Instead several levels, like the corridor ones are basically just. forcing you to move forward with very little agency and options. Having levels that actually forces you to use the hotswitch mechanic would be interesting too.

Also, why isn't there any weapons that truly takes use of the time aspect of the game, like a grenade? Maybe have it make subtle audio ques that works as a timer for you to be able to know when it goes off (having no audio ques for it would most likely make it frustrating as you don't have a "sense" of how much time has passed since you threw it etc). A six-shot revolver would be fitting too, making it an easy weapon for you to count shots.

Modders will probably pick up the slack and make better levels than what's already in here.

SimonM7

I must admit I'm getting my ass pretty thoroughly kicked in Impossible.

You kinda NEED to use that half a second that transpires when you punch/do anything for movement. So it almost constantly pushes you to do these little maneuvers essentially in realtime. Otherwise you just get a bullet between the eyes. It's also waaaay more important to have sort of a gut feeling awareness of your surroundings, because while looking around didn't push time forward that noticeably before, now looking in a direction and back forward pushes time enough that people will round a corner. It's bloody intense. I have a visceral AAH! reflex when I see red.

I thought I wanted time to stop completely, but the full stop challenge exists to prove people like me wrong. It feels...off, and is somehow screwing with my head.

Time slowing was really the better choice. Love these challenges.

Permanently A

Throwing a sword at an enemy, hotswitching to them and grabbing it out of the air is so good. Can't imagine what this will be like on VR.

SimonM7

Throwing a sword at an enemy, hotswitching to them and grabbing it out of the air is so good. Can't imagine what this will be like on VR.

I also like throwing anything at an enemy to make them stumble and drop their weapon, and RIGHT when they do, hotswitch to them and claim their weapon out of the air in front of them. :) Or throw a sword at one of two enemies, hotswitch to the second enemy and catch it as it comes crashing out of the other guy. So much in this game is ssssso dynamic and malleable, and only limited by your whims and imagination. :D

Both dying and hotswitching in VR sounds like sure-fire vomit cues.

edit:
Hrrrrghrhhh. That realtime speedrun mode is doing things with heart rates and chemicals that can not be good for me.

sheaaaa

I'm struggling to determine exactly why I've found Superhot to be quite disappointing.

I never played the alpha a few years back, because I heard good things about it and knew there was a full game coming, so I decided to wait. While the mechanic is interesting, I feel like it's not been used to its full potential. Or maybe it's not strong enough to carry a game on its own.

While it starts quite exciting and interesting I think the game doesn't really go anywhere with it. Apart from a few levels, like the one that starts with
the truck barrelling towards you
and the one with
three guys in a lift
, the stages don't seem to be very different and usually boil down to just making sure you're armed and keeping an eye out for people out of your eyeline.

The endless modes seem to encapsulate this for me - I just don't find them very entertaining. When I die it's always because I've not spotted someone with a gun behind me or to my side, and I just think "oh okay" instead of feeling pumped to give it another shot. I also think there are just too few actions to perform -
shoot, throw, melee, body swap (but this is little more than a bail-on-your-body-when-you're in trouble-card)
- that's it.

It just feels like the core of a game is a bit too hollow - too few things you can do, too few options, not enough depth, just not exciting enough.

More minor complaints are the storyline, which I'm sure plenty appreciate but for me could have been sliced out of the game entirely, and little niggles I experienced doing the katana-only challenge, like my katana sometimes disappearing when thrown and every other click not attacking but still causing time to move forward.

Phew that went on longer than I thought it would. Yeah, decent game, but not much else for me.

Finished the story mode today...

It's too short, too easy, and I've seen this story told better in other games. It's a fine game, but it isn't great nor worth its praise and price. I'd write more, but there's barely enough there to warrant any more words. 3/5.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

It's too short, too easy, and I've seen this story told better in other games. It's a fine game, but it isn't great nor worth its praise and price. I'd write more, but there's barely enough there to warrant any more words. 3/5.

The value for me has been in the gameplay, not so much the story.

Endless mode is awesome, and the challenge modes give a brand new look into all the levels. I'd genuinely say hold off on putting a number on the game until you've played more of the new modes. Story end isn't end of game.

The value for me has been in the gameplay, not so much the story.

Endless mode is awesome, and the challenge modes give a brand new look into all the levels. I'd genuinely say hold off on putting a number on the game until you've played more of the new modes. Story end isn't end of game.

I get that, but with the exception of the elevator sequence, the gameplay always felt very straight forward to me, and I never had to replay a section more than three times. As a puzzle game, it felt entirely lacking, and since it isn't a shooter, there's not much there. I want a puzzle game to challenge and outsmart me like Fez or Braid or The Witness. This never really did.

So, the gameplay in story mode was just there, and I haven't played endless or challenges yet. But, I have little desire to do so.

The story is more of an extended tutorial wrapped in a narrative. The vast majority of the content is in the endless mode and challenges. I beat the story in 4 hours, I've been playing the other content for 16

The story is more of an extended tutorial wrapped in a narrative. The vast majority of the content is in the endless mode and challenges. I beat the story in 4 hours, I've been playing the other content for 16

I guess I'll return to it later. I beat the story mode in 102 minutes (including pauses for me taking a phone call while I was playing it) and never felt challenged. If that is a tutorial to set me up for later challenges or later gameplay situations, I never got it. It always felt very easy and plain to me.

As a puzzle game, I always knew what to do, and I never felt challenged except for one section, and most of my mistakes were due to playing with a trackpad. I think there is something there to the mechanic of the game (even if it is a one trick pony) but the story mode, if it is a tutorial, never really exploited it for me.

I don't know. A story mode should have some meat to it. This didn't. I've seen it before and better. And, gameplay-wise, it never challenged or stimulated me. It's a novel idea and I enjoy its one trick, but it's just a trick and never did much more. I wish there was more there, in its design or puzzles or something.

Again, I don't think this is a bad game at all. It's just not as fleshed out or fully featured and developed as I wished or assumed it might be given the talk surrounding the game. I'll get to the challenge and endless stuff at a later date.

Man, some of these posts are explaining my exact problem with the game. I never felt like I needed to do all that cool stuff. Like, in some ways, I could take down the red dudes quicker, but I'd often just do something considered "bland" and get the same results. Maybe if there was a style system, or a reason to go currraazzyyeeee, that'd be fine, but as it stands, I just feel like there are optimal things you can do, and there are things you can do that are for your own fun, but both lead down the exact same path.

Top Bottom