• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERH|OT| SUPERHOT SUPERHOT

SimonM7

Any news on the Xbox release, is it definitely this month?

I'd like to know this also. I'm playing on the PC, but two friends of mine are chomping at the bits to get this for Xbox.

We've been playing this hotseat (Superhotseat?), competing on Endless "races" both realtime and game-time - and it's a blast.

KooopaKid

Banned
I'm struggling to determine exactly why I've found Superhot to be quite disappointing.

I never played the alpha a few years back, because I heard good things about it and knew there was a full game coming, so I decided to wait. While the mechanic is interesting, I feel like it's not been used to its full potential. Or maybe it's not strong enough to carry a game on its own.

While it starts quite exciting and interesting I think the game doesn't really go anywhere with it. Apart from a few levels, like the one that starts with
the truck barrelling towards you
and the one with
three guys in a lift
, the stages don't seem to be very different and usually boil down to just making sure you're armed and keeping an eye out for people out of your eyeline.

The endless modes seem to encapsulate this for me - I just don't find them very entertaining. When I die it's always because I've not spotted someone with a gun behind me or to my side, and I just think "oh okay" instead of feeling pumped to give it another shot. I also think there are just too few actions to perform -
shoot, throw, melee, body swap (but this is little more than a bail-on-your-body-when-you're in trouble-card)
- that's it.

It just feels like the core of a game is a bit too hollow - too few things you can do, too few options, not enough depth, just not exciting enough.

More minor complaints are the storyline, which I'm sure plenty appreciate but for me could have been sliced out of the game entirely, and little niggles I experienced doing the katana-only challenge, like my katana sometimes disappearing when thrown and every other click not attacking but still causing time to move forward.

Phew that went on longer than I thought it would. Yeah, decent game, but not much else for me.

Good post. That's my feelings with the game as well plus the simple level design.

SimonM7

Wish this had an integrated leaderboard or friend challenge thing.

Yeah, this is a strange omission. I can venture a guess that it's because they kkkinda don't want to distract people too much with the notion of "doing things efficiently" before they get a taste of doing things however they want because it feels amazing - and maybe they didn't want to limit it to platform specific leaderboards. The info is all there when you upload a replay to Killstagram, and I'm at least assuming that all versions - including the Xbox One version - will end up in the same place.

Who knows what Killstagram will turn into. Maybe it'll have a way to follow people and compare runs in a more convenient manner than currently.

:O

I... I think the one guy may have shot the other guy's gun, and they were both stunned by that. I have no idea what happened otherwise. :eek:
Yup that's it. The right guy's gun goes flying, then you dodge the middle guy's bullet which hits the gun. You can see the shattered pieces

Zomba13

so has there been any update on shrl.exe?

Apparently it's just not in the game. Well it is, but not finished (along with some other minigames).

A guy on reddit cracked it though so you can play it if you install a crack or something. It's on the Superhot subreddit.

"This looks sick!"

Convinced my brother-in-law's family to get the game after making them play it :p

CdXxrH6W0AEu3jN.jpg

SimonM7

Another saturday evening of hotseat Superhot with three players. We were doing the 60 second real time endless, and it's so much fun. You do even dumber/cooler shit when you're trying to rack up kills in this game with an audience.

Another saturday evening of hotseat Superhot with three players. We were doing the 60 second real time endless, and it's so much fun. You do even dumber/cooler shit when you're trying to rack up kills in this game with an audience.

Yeah, I can attest to it being a great crowd pleaser. I had to preface it with saying "it's a first person shooter but also a puzzle game...and it's not too violent or realistic so the kids can play it" XD

Is there a Top Score board for Endless mode or something?

I've been playing this at a friends house...usually i get about like 6 or 7...

but last night I had 57 or something like that. It was soo nerve-racking. I was also high as shit lol

SimonM7

I'd be interested in hearing about the Xbox One version. If there are any performance issues or whether it's compromised in any way.

I'd be interested in hearing about the Xbox One version. If there are any performance issues or whether it's compromised in any way.

I finished the story today and didn't notice any performance issues. It was perfectly smooth throughout. I did have one challenge level fail to load, but restarting the game fixed it.

Really my biggest issue so far is that saved clips have an extra second or two at the start, so you can see the end of the clip and RECORDING before it loops. Looks sloppy. Also there's no way to upload to killstagram that I saw; you just save the clip to game DVR.

xviper

The game looks interesting but from what i heard it's 2 hours long and that alone makes me wait for it to be in GWG

RPS37

Had no idea this was coming out for Xbox. Will wait for a real sale though. Have way too big of a backlog right now.

The game looks interesting but from what i heard it's 2 hours long and that alone makes me wait for it to be in GWG
The campaign is short, but that's really like a tutorial with a narrative. The real meat are the challengs and arenas, like a dual stick shooter. Improving your time and kill count, honing your skills

Case in poit: the campaign took me about 4 hours, while the next 16 were on the other modes

I played through it the other day, and while I enjoyed it, I didn't love it. It's a neat game, but it's short and feels kind of like an appetizer. They should have gone further with certain things.

It challenged me, though, and I did have some really cool runs.

I recommend it for sure, but it's been overhyped.

Rembrandt

Banned
Got it on PC and while it's definitely playable with a trackpad (surprisingly), I had to grab the XB1 version. Gonna fully relish in this finally.

SimonM7

I finished the story today and didn't notice any performance issues. It was perfectly smooth throughout. I did have one challenge level fail to load, but restarting the game fixed it.

Really my biggest issue so far is that saved clips have an extra second or two at the start, so you can see the end of the clip and RECORDING before it loops. Looks sloppy. Also there's no way to upload to killstagram that I saw; you just save the clip to game DVR.

Gotcha! Thanks for the impressions!

Sounds like it's safe to recommend to my PC-less pals, then. :)

The most innovative shooter I've played in years. Seriously, great game that I wish would include more actions, like ducking, diving, and a bit more meat to its melee options.

Okay guys, my finger is hovering over the buy button for this game. I just have one question:

This game seems to be advertised as being hardcore difficult. Is that just bluster or is this thing actually really hard?

I suck at shooters and have trouble beating most FPS's on Easy. I wasn't able to complete Bioshock Infinite, for example. Will I be able to complete this without becoming overly frustrated?

23qwerty

Okay guys, my finger is hovering over the buy button for this game. I just have one question:

This game seems to be advertised as being hardcore difficult. Is that just bluster or is this thing actually really hard?

I have trouble beating most FPS's on Easy. I wasn't able to complete Bioshock Infinite, for example. Will I be able to complete this without becoming overly frustrated?
Nah the main story is pretty easy

I have trouble beating most FPS's on Easy. I wasn't able to complete Bioshock Infinite, for example. Will I be able to complete this without becoming hopelessly frustrated?
If your issue with FPSs is the speed and reflexes and precision, you'll be fine. This is practically a turn-based FPS. Imagine Hotline Miami with bullet time. The real key to success is being aware of your environment, and strategically planning your movement and attacks. Yes, you die in one hit, but so do your enemies, and you can sidestep bullets with ease

If your issue with FPSs is the speed and reflexes and precision, you'll be fine. This is practically a turn-based FPS. Imagine Hotline Miami with bullet time. The real key to success is being aware of your environment, and strategically planning your movement and attacks. Yes, you die in one hit, but so do your enemies, and you can sidestep bullets with ease

Strangely though, I think that's actually the part I'm worse at, which is what kind of worries me. I do (somewhat) in faster shooters than in slower ones, for instance.

Edit: Meh, bought it. I guess we'll see :D

Strangely though, I think that's actually the part I'm worse at, which is what kind of worries me. I do (somewhat) in faster shooters than in slower ones, for instance.

Edit: Meh, bought it. I guess we'll see :D
No, that was meant to mean that this game doesn't require precise aiming, fast reflexes, or fast movement. It's a slow strategic game, more of a first person puzzler than a first person shooter

Rembrandt

Banned
Just finished the story and i'm surprised by the direction of it. Pretty good stuff that fitted the concept of the game well. It's the most innovative shooter i've played in years.

Time for this survival mode and speedrun.

Does anyone know if the shrl.exe thing is known yet?

I really don't like how turning the camera counts as moving. Makes it impossible to see your surroundings. I don't like dying from behind.

Top Bottom