• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse |OT| - coming to Blu/DVD Sep 2010. First trailer inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercboyz

This looks awesome! Wished they got back Michael Ironside for Darkseid, but having Daly and Conroy is great. Can't wait.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
They're doing Year One right?

What are the chances they'll do Batman: R.I.P. and Battle for the Cowl? I think they could do a good trilogy with those two and Return of Bruce Wayne. But whether they think doing a trilogy is a good idea is another thing...

Snaku

Banned
Looks pretty good, but I do not like Darkseid's look in the film at all. I also can't imagine anybody but Michael Ironside voicing Darkseid. The new guy's performance will make or break this film for me.

Penguin

Andrex said:
They're doing Year One right?

What are the chances they'll do Batman: R.I.P. and Battle for the Cowl? I think they could do a good trilogy with those two and Return of Bruce Wayne. But whether they think doing a trilogy is a good idea is another thing...

I could potentially see an R.I.P, but I think Battle for the Cowl is too dependent on other comics to work, but then again they were able to fight in Death in the Family and other things in Under the Red Hood.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Penguin said:
I could potentially see an R.I.P, but I think Battle for the Cowl is too dependent on other comics to work, but then again they were able to fight in Death in the Family and other things in Under the Red Hood.

Right. They could do it if they tried, just boil it down to the basic story.

Snaku

Banned
I want to see Superman: Red Son adapted the most. Would definitely work as a self contained one shot story.

Blader

Snaku said:
I want to see Superman: Red Son adapted the most. Would definitely work as a self contained one shot story.

I'd like to hear Tim Daly and Kevin Conroy with Russian accents.

Snaku said:

I'd like to see a some of the JLA/Authority books turned into movies. Morrison's run, along with Ellis' and Millar's would be great to watch.

I'm up for this one--these have actually been pretty good.

Sorry to have not updated this thread in a while, but honestly there hasn't been much of anything to discuss until now -- the movie comes out in two weeks, and WB Animation has been suspiciously quiet. No new clips, no new official screenshots, no cast & crew interviews, etc etc.

Anyhoo, the official site has opened and can be found at the link below:

http://warnervideo.com/supermanbatmanapocalypse/

Also, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is getting the big-screen treatment! ...Kind of; the film will premiere on September 21 in Los Angeles and September 23 in New York, at the Paley Centers in both cities. You can read the full press release at the link below.

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=837

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/09/01/superman-batman-apocalypse-theater-premiere-dates/

Warner Home Video, UGO.com and The Paley Center for Media proudly present the bi-coastal World Premieres of Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, the highly anticipated next entry in the ongoing series of DC Universe Animated Original PG-13 Movies, in Los Angeles on September 21 and New York on September 23. Filmmakers and members of the voice cast will attend both events for red carpet media interviews and post-screening panel discussions.

On Tuesday, September 21, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse will screen at the Paley Center in Los Angeles (465 North Beverly Drive in Beverly Hills) with media interviews starting at 5:30 p.m. and screening commencing at 7:00 p.m. A panel discussion moderated by UGO movie editors will follow the screening featuring executive producer Bruce Timm, director Lauren Montgomery, writer Tab Murphy and dialogue/casting director Andrea Romano. Additional participants, including voice cast members, will be announced as confirmed.

On Thursday, September 23, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse will screen at the Paley Center in New York City (25 West 52nd Street) with media interviews starting at 5:00 p.m. and screening commencing at 6:30 p.m. Following the screening, Kevin Conroy, the fan-favorite voice of Batman, and casting/dialogue director Andrea Romano will lead a panel discussion moderated by UGO movie editors. Additional participants, including voice cast members, will be announced as confirmed.

A limited number of free tickets are available for the general public. Fans wishing to receive free tickets to the Los Angeles event on Sept. 21 must RSVP via email to SupermanBatmanLA@gmail.com. Fans in New York City wishing to receive free tickets to the NY event on Sept. 23 must RSVP via email to SupermanBatmanNY@gmail.com.

Tickets to both events will be distributed on a “first come, first served” basis.
Of course, if you don't want to wait until the 21st or 28th to catch the premiere, welp... Yarr. o_O

That's right, a pirated copy has already leaked to the interwebz and is beginning to make the rounds. If you're into that sort of thing, A) you already know where to go and B) shame on you! I've already had one moment of Wonder Woman badassery from this film spoiled by one forum-goers pirated GIF. No more!

Penguin

Spike Spiegel said:
Sorry to have not updated this thread in a while, but honestly there hasn't been much of anything to discuss until now -- the movie comes out in two weeks, and WB Animation has been suspiciously quiet. No new clips, no new official screenshots, no cast & crew interviews, etc etc.

Anyhoo, the official site has opened and can be found at the link below:

http://warnervideo.com/supermanbatmanapocalypse/

Also, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is getting the big-screen treatment! ...Kind of; the film will premiere on September 21 in Los Angeles and September 23 in New York, at the Paley Centers in both cities. You can read the full press release at the link below.

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=837

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/09/01/superman-batman-apocalypse-theater-premiere-dates/

Of course, if you don't want to wait until the 21st or 28th to catch the premiere, welp... Yarr. o_O

That's right, a pirated copy has already leaked to the interwebz and is beginning to make the rounds. If you're into that sort of thing, A) you already know where to go and B) shame on you! I've already had one moment of Wonder Woman badassery from this film spoiled by one forum-goers pirated GIF. No more!

What is that you say?

Oh.. er.. there.. I got to run somewhere :D

Colour me interested, but I'm wondering why Batman is in this when it sounds like a story tailor-made for Superman. I'm a bigger Batman fan than I am a Superman fan, but I'm just curious.

Ben2749 said:
Colour me interested, but I'm wondering why Batman is in this when it sounds like a story tailor-made for Superman. I'm a bigger Batman fan than I am a Superman fan, but I'm just curious.
Spoilers for the original story, which may or may not relate to the movie:

The story originally took place right after Public Enemies, with Batman spearheading a cleanup effort to collect all of the kryptonite fragments that fell to Earth after the giant asteroid was destroyed. He's sweeping the bottom of Gotham Harbor when he comes across the ship containing Supergirl, so he's the first one to find her. As the story progresses, Batman ends up playing the pessimist to Superman's optimist, doubting Kara's story as to how she got there and urging caution in accepting her so readily. He suspects the whole scenario of a long-lost cousin is a trap to lure Superman into lowering his guard.

And no sooner do I b*tch about the lack of news on this project than does WB release a new clip and some stills.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=28336

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=848

<-- Click on image for direct link to new clip (MOV format)

1284571838.jpg

1284571840.jpg

1284571849.jpg

1284571851.jpg

Spike Spiegel said:

...just had to go out of your way to let everyone know.

Penguin

Weenerz said:
I saw a clip of the Darkseid/Superman + Kara fight and holy shit is it good.

I don't usually say this but spoiler tag that.

I've seen the movie and don't want it ruined for others

Weenerz

Banned
Penguin said:
[/spoiler]

I don't usually say this but spoiler tag that.

I've seen the movie and don't want it ruined for others

How is what I said a spoiler? Have you not seen pictures all over promoting this movie? We know it's about Kara and Darkseid.

sbapoc_boxart.jpg

You get spoiled just by buying the movie.

Penguin

Weenerz said:
How is what I said a spoiler? Have you not seen pictures all over promoting this movie? We know it's about Kara and Darkseid.

sbapoc_boxart.jpg

You get spoiled just by buying the movie.

I get that.. but I guess to me.. I thought the scene was a bit of a surprise.. since.. the movie.. appeared over :lol

Well, tomorrow's the big day... Superman/Batman: Apocalypse arrives in stores on 9/28. Here's a breakdown of pricing at some of the largest US retailers, should give you an idea of what to expect elsewhere:

+Amazon: Blu-Ray $19.99, DVD 2-disc $16.99, DVD 1-disc $12.99; limited-edition lithograph cel with certain versions.
+Best Buy: Blu-Ray w/ exclusive Superman figurine $19.99, DVD 1-disc $12.99
+Target: Blu-Ray $24.99, DVD 2-disc $16.99, DVD 1-disc $12.99; no frills apparently.
+Wal-Mart: Blu-Ray $19.96, DVD 2-disc $16.96, DVD 1-disc $13.96; no frills either.

Reviews have started popping up all over the place, you can find links to some of them below:

The World's Finest: "Rent Before You Buy"
DVDtalk Review - "Recommended"
Big Picture, Big Sound: 3 out of 4 stars
Blu-Ray.com: 3.0 out of 5.0
Japan Cinema: B-
Superman Homepage: 2 out of 5

And finally, here's another new clip from MTV.com, this time introduced by Summer Glau (the voice of Supergirl).

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/09/21/summer-glau-superman-batman-apocalypse/

Penguin

The Take Out Bandit said:
Rent before you buy aptly describes all of WB's current direct to DVD animation. :|

Eh I would recommend buying Wonder Woman, Under The Red Hood, Crisis on Two Earths and Superman: Doomsday no problem.

I think I've said as much.

I do agree with rent/try before you buy on this one.

Think said as much in my review.

Just finished watching it.

Y'know the thing about an adaptation is that you're supposed to be able to retool the source material wherever necessary, to massage the parts that don't work so well and construct a better narrative. At least, in theory. But apart from the climactic battle (which is great, btw), this is pretty much Jeph Loeb's story lifted 100% from the comic. And that pretty much says everything.

Animation was lovely, though. I'm amazed at how well they captured Mike Turner's style, which makes it all the more strange they went with Clayton Crain for the promo materials and menus.

Watching Green Arrow now.

There's a Green Arrow short paired with this movie. And all the shorts are getting a release in November with the Superman/Captain Marvel movie.

woodypop

Penguin said:
Eh I would recommend buying Wonder Woman, Under The Red Hood, Crisis on Two Earths and Superman: Doomsday no problem.
I concur with Crisis on Two Earths and Under the Red Hood. Not so much with the other two.

Penguin

woodypop said:
I concur with Crisis on Two Earths and Under the Red Hood. Not so much with the other two.

How can you not love Wonder Woman?

As for the shorts collection, I'm rather curious, I mean it is essentially buying a collection for a 20 minute episode when I have the other 3 on blu-ray elsewhere.

Wonder what else they will add to the package.

vazel

Banned
Apocalypse is decent despite my annoyance with Loeb's staple of over the top action(an army of Doomsdays, really?). What I really liked was hearing Conroy and Daly again. I hope they continue the Superman/Batman series just for that.

The DC showcase shorts are really good. My friend even said pound for pound he sometimes likes them better than the full feature.

vazel said:
Apocalypse is decent despite my annoyance with Loeb's staple of over the top action(an army of Doomsdays, really?). What I really liked was hearing Conroy and Daly again. I hope they continue the Superman/Batman series just for that.

The DC showcase shorts are really good. My friend even said pound for pound he sometimes likes them better than the full feature.
In this case I'd agree, I liked the Green Arrow short more than the main feature.

About Conroy and Daly, their performances felt very flat to me in this one. Daly's especially. Could be the dialogue being spoken, though.

Penguin

vazel said:

I would argue that in this case he is true, and while its close would also give the edge to The Spectre short on Crisis on Two Earths.

Under the Red Hood is a top notch movie, as is the Hex short. But a full 70 minutes of awesome vs 10 is an easy sell.

GloveSlap

I liked the movie. I REALLY missed the old Darkseid voice actor though. This new one isn't even in the same league and it really hurt the movie IMO.

ugh awful movie wtf@
Darkseid kicking both supeman and supergirls ass's and then just sort of getting nudged into a portal....does superman really think he wont come back? Darksied should just come back and kill them both right way.

reddmyst

I liked the movie, except (as others have pointed out) Michael Ironside should've been Darkseid... he definitely gave an awesome voice over the one that replaced him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom