• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars |OT| (PSN)

Speevy

Banned
Speaking of PSN today, where is the Playstation Store thread? Last week didn't have any new games and it got a thread.

People might be too busy playing to comment, hehe :)

We've had some good games with new players, if you catch a guy with "Psyonix-" in the name right now it's a developer, we're trying to go kind of easy on people though.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I will say this...the single player, I'm still a bit iffy on. But the online was a blast. I can't wait to try this out with splitscreen.

I guess it's like Calling All Cars in that regard...the ultimate game to pull out for friends/online for a quick blast of fun.

gbovo

chubigans said:
I will say this...the single player, I'm still a bit iffy on. But the online was a blast. I can't wait to try this out with splitscreen.

I guess it's like Calling All Cars in that regard...the ultimate game to pull out for friends/online for a quick blast of fun.
just got done playing the demo. It's what Calling all Cars should originally have been. I played online and it was very fun! The singleplayer mini-games could get stale after a while though. Went ahead and bought it, whatthehay...

Saw you in that last game chubigans, I'm playing as psyonix-jared right now even though that's my coworker's account, got a backwards goal at the end there :) It's a trophy!

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Holy crap this game is amazing. I first started up the tutorial and the first thing I thought was wow, this game has a cool look. Then I started driving around and was super impressed with how tight the controls felt. Later on I decided to try my hand at the online mode and I just had a big smile accross my face, it was so fun and chaotic. This is seriously good enough to be an XBLA game. I can totally see the online community sustaining itself because it has that easy to learn/hard to master sort of feel.

gbovo

ickingfudiot said:
Saw you in that last game chubigans, I'm playing as psyonix-jared right now even though that's my coworker's account, got a backwards goal at the end there :) It's a trophy!
you guys really got the whole "Acrobatic" part of the game's name. Also, love the tight controls. Music is rather low budget though :p

gbovo

sykoex said:
Holy crap this game is amazing. I first started up the tutorial and the first thing I thought wow, this game has a cool look. Then I started driving around and was super impressed with out tight the controls felt. Later on I decided to try my hand at the online mode and I just had a big smile accross my face, it was so fun and chaotic. This is seriously good enough to be an XBLA game. I can totally see the online community sustaining itself because it has that easy to learn/hard to master sort of feel.
WTF?!?!?!?

XonoX

225841850a3614510602b543075391ml.jpg

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
ickingfudiot said:
Hah, that was an awesome game! I finally scored in that desert level backwards; earned two trophies. :D

gbovo said:
WTF?!?!?!?
Indeed. o_O

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
XonoX said:
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars! Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars! Hi, I'm Al Harrington, President and CEO of Al Harrington's Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars Emporium and Warehouse! Thanks to a shipping error, I am now currently overstocked on Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars and I am passing the savings on to yoooooou!

Raistlin

When I first looked at the pics, I was like wtf.

The I started watching the video, and I was still kind of wtf.

:lol

This actually looks really fun, I'm gonna give this a shot on the weekend.

ickingfudiot said:
I can answer some questions now and when I get into work (just got up, release date, woo)!

- There will be a demo up as stated whenever the game goes up, which is this evening I believe

- There will be a free DLC map *soon* - it's already done, just going through the pipeline - and we will continue to support the game via patches/DLC, I can't promise all DLC will be free but we're going to play it by ear

- The Europe version is unfortunately COMING but because we are self-publishing we just didn't have the resources (among other problems) to handle SCEA and SCEE cert simultaneously. We're currently in the process of getting all the various European rating board approvals and as soon as we have a Europe date set we'll let you guys know, all I can say is ASAP.

- To clear up the splitscreen issue, the game is max 4v4 (8 players total) but supports up to 4p splitscreen both locally and online, including ranked matches.

I'll say one thing about the price just from my perspective (not my company's, disclaimer, yadda yadda) and never again since I've read the price debates about Braid on here and I know what dark road that leads down. As a consumer I feel the pull of $9.99 too, but I think the graphical quality/feature set we're offering justifies a higher price point. You may not agree, there's a demo with both local and online play to better inform you about the purchase, I hope it's helpful.

Features we support that I don't usually see in a $9.99 title:
- Full fledged online ranking/matching/party system support with leaderboards, different skill rankings for each bracket (so you can become the top 2v2 player, make a registered team and become the best 3v3 team in the country with your PSN or local friends, etc)
- A really powerful replay saving and editing tool. You can save a replay after each match of the entire match and later re-watch it with full camera controls (free cam, focus lock, slow motion, etc etc etc) and even edit it ingame and upload the new clip directly to YouTube or export the thing to your XMB and do your own video editing in higher quality.
- Unreal Engine 3
- Support for every new Sony feature - YouTube, custom music tracks, Trophies
- We're planning a lot of active community support features like organized tournaments with real prizes, and patch support. We're the #1 fans of this game, we play it every day at the office, and we're most looking forward to just getting online and playing new people. To that end we have full intention of supporting whatever the community asks for within reason.

Anyway, enough price discussion, I'm sure people will have a lot to say about it but going to stay out of it from now on.

To sum up: game and demo available later today, demo has online and local play, free DLC map and Europe versions coming ASAP, hope you like it!

Damn, sounds sweet ... you guys really packed a ton of extras in there!

I would certainly agree the price is justified.

Raistlin

Is it just me or has PSN been getting a lot more content recently?

Me likey!!!

And damn, I'm glad I upgraded to a 320GB HDD :p

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
SapientWolf said:
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars! Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars! Hi, I'm Al Harrington, President and CEO of Al Harrington's Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars Emporium and Warehouse! Thanks to a shipping error, I am now currently overstocked on Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars and I am passing the savings on to yoooooou!
:lol
It works so perfectly.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm SO loving this game. I usually hate mainly mutlplayer games but this is a game I can actually compete in. If I want I can just lay back and play goalie, and then when the ball gets far enough from our goal I go more offensive.

Does look and play a lot like Gripshift. Lot of fun too. It's basically soccer with cars. Online feels really laggy to me though.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Flunkie said:
Makes me want a GripShift 2 even more.

If Mario is reading this, what are you guys working on nowadays?

We have a bunch of stuff in development across PSP, PS2*, PS3, 360, Wii, and PC. Some original IP, some licensed, some retail, some download. Expect some announcements either very late this year or, more likely, early next year.

GripShift 2 is not one of those titles at the moment unfortunately. At least, not yet.

We are now a PS3 publisher which is going to allow us to self publish PSN content in future so we won't have GripShift PSN update patch shenanigans for a start.

On a seperate note, our monopoly on supersonic acrobatic rocket-powered battle-cars appears to have ended.

* actually, finished dev on this, its a content update for our 2005 Rugby League 2 title

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Mario said:
We have a bunch of stuff in development across PSP, PS2*, PS3, 360, Wii, and PC. Some original IP, some licensed, some retail, some download. Expect some announcements either very late this year or, more likely, early next year.

GripShift 2 is not one of those titles at the moment unfortunately. At least, not yet.

We are now a PS3 publisher which is going to allow us to self publish PSN content in future so we won't have GripShift PSN update patch shenanigans for a start.

On a seperate note, our monopoly on supersonic acrobatic rocket-powered battle-cars appears to have ended.

* actually, finished dev on this, its a content update for our 2005 Rugby League 2 title

More devs need to post informative info on GAF. I approve of this message.

Flunkie

Banned
Mario said:

Awesome man, thanks for the info.

I keep hoping for that day when GripShift 2 finally gets announced. It WILL come. I know it will.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Flunkie said:
Awesome man, thanks for the info.

I keep hoping for that day when GripShift 2 finally gets announced. It WILL come. I know it will.
open world Gripshift holiday season 2009. Believe.

WiCkEd_Co

I like the game but I wish the custom music was more better setup, always starts on the first track you pick even if you choose random I always hit right to skip songs but on the menu I can't. Wipeout with it song continue option rocks or even like Super StarDust which will choose a random song every game.

WiCkEd_Co said:
I like the game but I wish the custom music was more better setup, always starts on the first track you pick even if you choose random I always hit right to skip songs but on the menu I can't. Wipeout with it song continue option rocks or even like Super StarDust which will choose a random song every game.

I'll mention it to our guy that implemented custom sound, will see if we can get it fixed for the first patch. We're also looking into known issues with trophies not showing up in your PSN profile and some matchmaking problems.

WiCkEd_Co

ickingfudiot said:
I'll mention it to our guy that implemented custom sound, will see if we can get it fixed for the first patch. We're also looking into known issues with trophies not showing up in your PSN profile and some matchmaking problems.

Thanks, I also give a big thumps up for you adding the ability to skip songs with the Dpad. No pause or anything, all games need that. I like on how the Xbox I can just use the remote and hit skip on every game. I wish the PS3 would allow that with there remote.

What about a farther camera view so I can see more of the field.

As for the XBLA comment I think he meant since Xbox has a larger online user base this game would last longer on there. I can hop on some old XBLA games and still find a game or two but on the PS3 side I can jump on Calling all Cars and sit there with no one ever joining.

ickingfudiot said:
oh nice I was just about to post about mine not updating right

KevinCow

Banned
Wait, that's actually the name? I thought this was just one of those obnoxious and unfunny official thread titles.

I want to buy this game for the name alone.

GrayFoxPL

ickingfudiot, could you tell me how's online based?

P2P or US servers or Worldwide?

I'm asking because I don't know if I should buy it from us store or wait for eu. I'm from Europe. Lag to US server would make it unplayable like in most games.

Top Bottom