• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface Book Is Microsoft's Glorious New Laptop - twice as fast as macbook pro

mocoworm

For all you XONE streamers and PC gamers. This looks SWEEEET.

UPDATE:

Microsoft’s Surface Book Will Redefine How PCs Are Made
http://www.wired.com/2015/10/microsofts-surface-book-will-redefine-pcs-made/?mbid=social_fb

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/head-head-surface-book-vs-macbook-pro/?mbid=social_fb

Macbook-Pro_vs_SurfaceBook1-582x419.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/surface-book-is-microsofts-glorious-new-laptop-1734937744

https://youtu.be/XVfOe5mFbAE

Well here’s a surprise! After spending years undermining the laptop—or at least trying to—with the Surface, now Microsoft is making its own damn laptop. Oh hell yes folks, here is Surface Book. Yes, it’s beautiful.

For those of you keeping track at home, yes, this is Microsoft’s first laptop.

The basics: The Surface Book has 13.5-inch diagonal screen. It has six million pixels, which works out to 267 PPI. And yes, it’s got a keyboard. One of the clicky clack kind. Not a touch cover—a real keyboard. Microsoft also touted what seems to be a very fancy glass trackpad.

And though it’s a “laptop” of the backflipping variety, a bit like a Lenova Yoga, that keyboard also detaches.

It weighs 1.6 pounds and it’s 7.3mm thick. And those number start to sound really crazy when you see how much power there is in here.

It runs a Nvidia GeForce graphics, the latest Intel Core processor, and a 12-hour battery. That battery life with all that power seems almost ridiculous. Yup, it’s got discreet graphics in that teensy body.

According to Microsoft it’s two times faster than the MacBook Pro, and the company says it’s “ounce for ounce” the most powerful laptop ever made.

It starts at $1500, and it’s available for pre-order tomorrow. It ships October 26th.

I’m a little shocked by this Surface Book. It’s expensive, sure, but it’s really powerful and beautifully design in a way that somebody might actually choose this laptop. This isn’t the crap Windows laptop your work gave you, it’s the computer you’re happy to fire up every day. Or that’s how it seems—we’ll let you for sure when we try it out.

ZhugeEX

Banned
This is a great product

Microsoft really need to drive sales of this and Surface Pro 4 over the next year. They can't just ship the numbers they have before.

jwk94

You can use it for gaming. He was playing gears 2 on it.

I would love this but buying one wouldn't make sense with my Chromebook.

Durante

I was really surprised when I got to the price. Seems cheap.

But can I get actual specs rather than meaningless fluff like "It runs a Nvidia GeForce graphics, the latest Intel Core processor"?

I believe failgunner's post was referencing the question always asked in threads about Apple hardware that are made in this part of the forum.

IcyStorm

Not surprising it's faster than a MBP considering that MBP's still on Haswell. Guessing Surface Book is on Skylake.

CD'S BAR

I wonder how much ram and ssd/hdd space for that price.

from the OT thread lol

Surface Book
13.5" Display (6 million pixels / 267 ppi)
Intel Skylake Processor (upto i7)
Nvidia Geforce GPU
(upto) 16GB RAM
(upto) 1TB SSD
1.6 pounds
7.4mm thick
Detachable "fulcrum" keyboard
12 hour battery life
Starts at $1499
Pre-order starts today, ships on Oct 26th

Kysen

Comparing this to my current MBP 13"

+Touch screen
+Dedicated GPU
+More/similar battery life
+Higher resolution screen
+Better Steam compatibility
+Runs my work software
+Similar price

Its a no brainer to switch.

vall03

This is too pricey for me. I'll just build a new PC with that money. But then again, I just want to fucking play Football Manager Classic on a portable device but I don't like lugging around a full sized laptop everywhere. The Surface Pro 4 is kinda meh as well. Guess an iPad Mini 4 will be my best bet for Football Manager Touch.

Mikaju

I was hoping they would build wireless xbox one controller receiver inside these new surfaces so I wouldn't have to buy that ugly dongle for streaming.

Still interested though, lets see what the euro prices are first. I wonder which Nvidia is inside?

viHuGi

Banned
This looks too good to be true, i just love it and im not even a big MS Fan, more like Sony guy but MS is impressing me!

Cleve

I'm going to the insider event at the Skylight in nyc tonight. I hope they'll have the holo lens on display, and I'm pretty excited to get my hands on the new surface stuff too.

I doubt they'll provide any more info to people there than we'll see from press releases.

Looks awesome and I think it's a no brainer if your looking at comparable apple products or high end windows laptops like the yoga pro.

nynt9

"It runs a Nvidia GeForce graphics,"

what? what GPU are we actually talking here?

Also, " twice as fast as macbook pro " how do they quantify that?

Eila

What are the exact specs, though? Tablets are really annoying with their lack of ports. I need HDMI out and plenty of USB ports.

Human_me

I was really surprised when I got to the price. Seems cheap.

But can I get actual specs rather than meaningless fluff like "It runs a Nvidia GeForce graphics, the latest Intel Core processor"?

We will find out tomorrow when you can pre-order.

Comparing this to my current MBP 13"

+Touch screen
+Dedicated GPU
+More/similar battery life
+Higher resolution screen
+Better Steam compatibility
+Runs my work software
+Similar price

Its a no brainer to switch.

Plus it's a freaking tablet too.

Top Bottom