• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface Book Is Microsoft's Glorious New Laptop - twice as fast as macbook pro

All I need to know before I pre-order is:

1. Detailed CPU specs. CPU count & Speed specifically.
2. Detailed GPU specs. Comparable to which Desktop GPU in term of TFLOP power?
3. How much GDDR5 Ram. Simple - 8GB? 12GB? 16GB?

That's all I need to know. Anyone?

EGM1966

Looks very nice at first glance. Makes a lot more sense for me for MS to build out from their true core market strength vs all the effort (and money) they've effectively blown trying to compete in the toughest markets for them where they're miles behind.

I'd have brought out something like this first then brought out Surface afterwards aiming to lead users on a progression with Windows towards a Windows Tablet (with a lot of focus on easy sync of work between a laptop you use in office/home and a tablet you take to go easily portable to meetings, etc.

pastrami

This thing looks amazing. If I were in the market for a laptop or tablet, I'd be all over this. I may get one for the hell of it anyways.

One thing though. Does this come with a stylus? Can it even use one? Or is it strictly a capacitive touch screen?

No details on the site on how the GPU stacks up against other gaming laptops- I'm going to guess that if gaming is your #1 priority something like a Razer Blade would do you better than this at this price class. The non-standard aspect ratio will also probably create issues with some games.

That said, as someone for whom gaming is not the top priority on a laptop... I NEED IT

Nipo

No details on the site on how the GPU stacks up against other gaming laptops- I'm going to guess that if gaming is your #1 priority something like a Razer Blade would do you better than this at this price class. The non-standard aspect ratio will also probably create issues with some games.

That said, as someone for whom gaming is not the top priority on a laptop... I NEED IT

This is me. The ability to game on the laptop is secondary and something I'm willing to pay a few hundred dollars extra for.

MS finally made the device i've wanted from Apple for a few years now.

I wonder if we'll be able to buy new bases to upgrade the GPU?

Cleve

Which PC os should they be using? Windows 10 is great. May as well go ahead and drop the old dollar sign microsoft while you're at it.

Store page link if anyone wants to check out configurations and some actual proper specs.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...2459594)(JAF5WzpxbKM-mUUIOSSjBNnBfo84VF3Y1w)()

Wow, for once the baseline unit actually nails what I'd want. 8 gb is enough for me, and when it comes to storage I don't need a ton. It has a SD card and I can easily keep things on a network share. I am curious about the gpu. I hope we get some more specs soon.

At first I was excited for the dedicated GPU, but then realized that it's probably not going to matter since it has to drive that high resolution display.

DorkyMohr

Banned
laptop is not PC anymore?

When talking about gaming there's a meaningful difference. The tradeoffs that laptops employ for portability and price always cause some kind of hit to the gaming performance. They even say that gaming was not a goal when designing it despite giving it some lip service.

Griss

When I went shopping for a Windows laptop this was exactly the machine I was looking for and was shocked to find did not exist. What did I do? Saved up some extra money and re-upped with a Macbook Pro despite the old one crapping out on me early.

This is a very cool move by Microsoft.

EDIT: Wait you can detach the keyboard? As in the computer is behind the screen?

Ah shit, hopes deleted. Can't stand those unbalanced pieces of crap.

Durante

Store page link if anyone wants to check out configurations and some actual proper specs.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...2459594)(JAF5WzpxbKM-mUUIOSSjBNnBfo84VF3Y1w)()

And for the observant of you the cheapest option with a discrete GPU is actually $1900 and the i7 version is $2100.
WTF. You're supposed to order it and they still won't tell you the actual CPU model, actual GPU model, actual SSD model or amount of GPU memory?

Apple much, Microsoft? Well, fuck you.

Some PRICING info :(

From engadget:
http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/06/microsofts-surface-book-is-its-first-and-ultimate-laptop/

Pre-orders start tomorrow, October 7th and the product will hit stores on October 26th, starting at $1,499 (for the 128GB / 8GB Core i5, Intel HD graphics configuration) to $2,699.00 (512GB / 16GB, NVIDIA GPU).

$1,500 for 128GB Drive, 8GB Core i5, Intel HD graphics GPU

$2,700 for 512GB Drive, 16GB Core i7 Nvidia GPU

USD

Sorry, too rich.

When talking about gaming there's a meaningful difference. The tradeoffs that laptops employ for portability and price always cause some kind of hit to the gaming performance. They even say that gaming was not a goal when designing it despite giving it some lip service.

but you can still play on it right?
so... PC + PC Games = PC GAMING?

I mean I played Baldur's Gate and Borderlands on my Surface

IvorB

I'm very happy to see someone taking on Apple in the high end laptop category. I hope they manage to pull it off. I feel like my MacBook Pro feels less and less premium with each OS/X update these days due to various glitches that make it through.

joeyjoejoe

Neo Member
Comparing this to my current MBP 13"

+Touch screen
+Dedicated GPU
+More/similar battery life
+Higher resolution screen
+Better Steam compatibility
+Runs my work software
+Similar price

Its a no brainer to switch.

Depends on how much you like OS X and the iOS integration

Dr Dogg

WTF. You're supposed to order it and they still won't tell you the actual CPU model, actual GPU model, actual SSD model or amount of GPU memory?

Apple much, Microsoft? Well, fuck you.

Yeah I know it's about the same price as a Mac Book Pro config for config. Well it would be if we knew more than a Skylake CPU and a Nvidia GPU but which bloody ones. For that sort of money I'd be expecting a 6300HQ/6700HQ and a 980M.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I was really surprised when I got to the price. Seems cheap.

But can I get actual specs rather than meaningless fluff like "It runs a Nvidia GeForce graphics, the latest Intel Core processor"?

Well, the GPU being in the Keyboard opens lots of possibilities. Imagine upgrading the GPU while keeping the display and CPU!

Qassim

This looks incredible, I do prefer OSX's workflow and I think Macbooks are great, but if there aren't some good improvements made to stability, performance and quality in OSX before I want a new laptop, I'll definitely think about switching to one of these.

I am confused about the pen with the SurfaceBook. They don't talk about the pressure sensitivity that the Surface Pro 4 has. Is the pen limited using the SurfaceBook? I was looking to get the iPad Pro or SP4 for art. This seems interesting though if its the same as SP4 art wise.

Outrun

That price though
wtzgU.gif

The price is amazing.

Top Bottom