• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface Book Is Microsoft's Glorious New Laptop - twice as fast as macbook pro

Griffer

Banned
The hinge actually makes a lot of sense, after using the Yoga 3 Pro I had thought a raised hinge would work well on them if only the build quality of the screen was a little higher

Overall it was a very impressive presentation, Microsoft really does seem to have the sort of direction and leadership that Apple used to exude so its exciting times ahead.

SPDIF

think someone said they compared it to a 2012 regular macbook pro

I'm not sure where they got that information from. The only place I can find where that's mentioned is 9to5Mac.

lol where did this "twice as fast" garbage come from?

It was said by Panos Panay during the conference. "By adding the discrete GPU, two extra processors, it fundamentally makes Surface Book two times faster than the MacBook Pro".

Looking forward to the official teardowns. Me's think this kit is gonna be real competition for those actually looking at specs, instead of buzz words... like "Retina"(aka WQHD or whatever already define screen resolution conforms to the pixel density branding scheme that Mac is pushing as unique).

greg400

Banned
It was said by Panos Panay during the conference. "By adding the discrete GPU, two extra processors, it fundamentally makes Surface Book two times faster than the MacBook Pro".
So basically it's worthless PR talk, there are discrete GPU's worse than Intel's current line-up. At least when Apple has performance comparisons they actually footnote what they used for their claims. Microsoft can't even provide specifics on the parts they are using.

Tigress

Damn. If this came out last year I might have gotten it over the Mac as it seems other than os it has what I like about my Mac and I can game with it. I mean I prefer Mac OS but a laptop that has every other advantage other than os and I could game on would have me at least consider giving up Mac OS.

Al-ibn Kermit

Well, the GPU being in the Keyboard opens lots of possibilities. Imagine upgrading the GPU while keeping the display and CPU!

Indeed, I wondered about that with the quality of laptop/tablet screens nowadays. Being able to connect to a mobile or stationary docking system that has a dedicated GPU/bigger hard drive would be pretty nice for those who want to be able to have one computer that they can do everything with.

I imagine by next year we'll see Lenovo, HP, and the others coming out with some similar products but maybe with lower prices. The same thing happened with the Surface tablets.

SPDIF

So basically it's worthless PR talk, there are discrete GPU's worse than Intel's current line-up. At least when Apple has performance comparisons they actually footnote what they used for their claims. Microsoft can't even provide specifics on the parts they are using.

Well until it comes out and actual benchmarks can be run, I guess so. If it makes any difference to you the dGPU is probably the GTX 950m.

Edit:

Or maybe it's better than that

MS chat support saying gpu is 960M. Optimized by xbox team.

Breads

Banned
Lol

"the one with the GPU"... they all have GPU's.

The one with the gpu starts at $1,900.

The one without the dedicated card has it's g processing embeded into the mobo/cpu (not entirely sure) and it uses part of your ram as vram.

greg400

Banned
Well until it comes out and actual benchmarks can be run, I guess so. If it makes any difference to you the dGPU is probably the GTX 950m.

Edit:

Or maybe it's better than that
Still not very important, no official information and it'll probably be throttled considering there's nothing other than the chassis to disperse heat.

The one with the gpu starts at $1,900.

The one without the dedicated card has it's g processing embeded into the mobo/cpu (not entirely sure) and it uses part of your ram as vram.
Bro... they all have GPU's.

Vire

Still not very important, no official information and it'll probably be throttled considering there's nothing other than the chassis to disperse heat.

Bro... they all have GPU's.
No, the models that have a discrete GPU (the main advantage over the Pro) start at the $1900 model.

Vire

Integrated GPU's are still GPU's holy shit

No one is saying it doesn't have a GPU holy shit. People are saying that Microsoft is boasting about the performance in this laptop and yet... The discrete GPU is only included in the $1900 model.

They are bragging about superior performance for something that costs significantly more.

Breads

Banned
Integrated GPU's are still GPU's holy shit

It's called context.

d8EwfUK.png

Stop being pedantic, bro.

greg400

Banned
It's called context.

d8EwfUK.png

Stop being pedantic, bro.

No one is saying it doesn't have a GPU holy shit. People are saying that Microsoft is boasting about the performance in this laptop and yet... The discrete GPU is only included in the $1900 model.

They are bragging about superior performance for something that costs significantly more.
Yeah bro, it's all about context. The first post I quoted said "the one with the GPU", they all have GPU's. It's not about being pedantic, it's about making sure people that may have little grasp on how technology functions don't go around spreading mis-information they heard on here.

Vire

The fact that they are hiding what kind of processor and graphics card is in this thing extra leads me to believe that the twice as fast line is a bunch of giant bulllshit.

Show me a 970 and a quad core in this thing and I'll believe you.

Current MacBook Pro lines at the 1500 model include this:

2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
Intel Iris Graphics 6100

The fact that they are hiding what kind of processor and graphics card is in this thing extra leads me to believe that the twice as fast line is a bunch of giant bulllshit.

Show me a 970 and a quad core in this thing and I'll believe you.

Current MacBook Pro lines at the 1500 model include this:

2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
Intel Iris Graphics 6100

it's already been gone over several times, they're talking about the non-retina MBP that was last updated in 2012.

Vire

it's already been gone over several times, they're talking about the non-retina MBP that was last updated in 2012.
So incredibly disingenuous statements that have little relevance?

I mean whatever, the product looks solid, if not a little expensive. Also curious to see how on earth a battery could get 12 hours of battery life when running a discrete card, but I'm sure the tech sites will run their tests.

Zil33184

So incredibly disingenuous statements that have little relevance?

I mean whatever, the product looks solid, if not a little expensive. Also curious to see how on earth a battery could get 12 hours of battery life when running a discrete card, but I'm sure the tech sites will run their tests.

The second battery in the tablet probably adds 2-3 hours. I doubt it gets 12 hours on anything that gets the fans really spinning.

dadjumper

Ehhhhh for $1500 I'd just build a dang gaming PC. You can get a decent laptop for much less that'll do what you want from a portable perspective, e.g. run word processors etc. I've never understood the idea of a gaming laptop.

bomblord1

Banned
Ehhhhh for $1500 I'd just build a dang gaming PC. You can get a decent laptop for much less that'll do what you want from a portable perspective, e.g. run word processors etc. I've never understood the idea of a gaming laptop.

It's not meant for gaming. They actually said that repeatedly.

harSon

Banned
I'm not sure that it's fair to compare it spec for spec with a Macbook Pro and declare it unreasonably priced. As I mentioned before, there's no comparable device - considering I can't think of many Macbook Pro like devices that are touch screen, double as a tablet and have a stylus.

I'm not sure that it's fair to compare it spec for spec with a Macbook Pro and declare it unreasonably priced. As I mentioned before, there's no comparable device - considering I can't think of many Macbook Pro like devices that are touch screen, double as a tablet and have a stylus.
Don't forget the stellar build quality! Those things are beatifully made, that's why they're being compared to the MacBook Pro.

if it's actually a 960m that's not too bad. for comparison, razer's selling last year's model of its decently popular razer blade for $1600 and it has a 870m. $300 more for pen and touch, convertible tablet, and much, much better battery life isn't so bad.

medze

Finally a windows laptop that may reach the level of build quality of a macbook. Looks pretty nice but I don't see it being twice as fast (it uses windows) and the price of entry is not that different from Apple.

Still probably the nicest windows laptop I've seen

NJDEN

You're telling me that during that whole press conference no one from the media that got to handle the device went into system properties and looked at what processor it was packing?

Cleve

You're telling me that during that whole press conference no one from the media that got to handle the device went into system properties and looked at what processor it was packing?

Quite a few people got their hands on it. but it would be very easy for them to have a custom driver that just displays as "nvidia GPU".

Oersted

Comparing this to my current MBP 13"

+Touch screen
+Dedicated GPU
+More/similar battery life
+Higher resolution screen
+Better Steam compatibility
+Runs my work software
+Similar price

Its a no brainer to switch.

I don't really want a touchscreen on my laptop.

Zil33184

And the class of operating system. It'd make an interesting case with OS X, but IOS is garbage for that price and screen size.

...Man, I literally can't even.

Anyhow, I just watched the W10 infomercial. This event was so hammy and over the top. The 2x macbook pro and magical Xbox engineers part hurt my sides.

It's a shame too because some of that stuff was genuinely intriguing without having to be oversold. I think continuum or something like it might actually be what finally kills off the traditional desktop PC. As a long time Mac user, I think MS is finally heading in the right direction in terms of innovative product design, Surface Book and Hololens notwithstanding.

watership

It's a powerful laptop. That's the point. The ENTIRE point.

Top Bottom