• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surfer Girl Rumors – What's True, What's False, and What's Unconfirmed

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
Psychotext said:
How will we know if that's false or not until the end of 2009?
If it's not announced at any confrences in 2009 (GDC, E3, etc.) I'm pretty sure we can confirm it's not coming.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I really hope that Slalom coming to VC rumor is true... that's the one that's gotten me most hyped.

webrunner

Ike said:
If it's not announced at any confrences in 2009 (GDC, E3, etc.) I'm pretty sure we can confirm it's not coming.

Aren't there conferences pretty late in the year, though? Nintendo has been known to announce a handheld only a few months before it's release

Ike

webrunner said:
Aren't there conferences pretty late in the year, though? Nintendo has been known to announce a handheld only a few months before it's release
Only TGS in September, which Nintendo generally does not participate in.

webrunner

Ike said:
Only TGS in September, which Nintendo generally does not participate in.

I thought they usually held their own stuff around Christmas? And who knows when E For All will be in 2009.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
NBA Ballers 3 = NBA Ballers The Chosen One, and it is true. Midway announced it in Dec.

Ike

webrunner said:
I thought they usually held their own stuff around Christmas? And who knows when E For All will be in 2009.
Keep in mind though, they'd never reveal something that close to launch. That would be suicide at retail. They would want to reveal it at E3 so they can build up consumer hype. Surprise launches don't work, just look at Saturn for proof.

itsgreen

Cant you make a table or something?

Something like

Capcom in SSBB..................False.................source.url
Resistance 2........................True..................source.url
etc etc

this is kind of messy. Appreciate the work though.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I didn't see it listed, but in one of the comments section she said the next Suikoden was for Wii.

Zonar

One quick thought Duck. What if a rumor could have been true but it got canceled or the design turned into another game? Like Halo for the DS.

I think Surfer Girl should get credit for those as a sort of "true at the time".

What do you think?

Zonar

schuelma said:
I didn't see it listed, but in one of the comments section she said the next Suikoden was for Wii.
For example what if this game was canceled this morning and it never comes out but it was at one point in the planning phase? doesn't that make it still true?

jay

Zonar said:
For example what if this game was canceled this morning and it never comes out but it was at one point in the planning phase? doesn't that make it still true?

If she cannot tell the future she is not useful.

Zenith

Banned
OmonRa said:
4) GRIN's AAA science-fiction film tie-in coming this year is about this journey in the stars.

I'm not allowed to say what it is, but I can confirm that this is FALSE.

it's supposed to be Star Trek. how do you know it's false and why can't you say it if it never existed in the first place?

itsgreen said:

Something like

etc etc

I like the way this guy thinks.

DuckRacer

itsgreen said:

Something like

etc etc

Good idea. However, things like the LA Noire info with multiple bullet points doesn't really lend itself well to a table like that. I could put a link and/or a reason next to each "status: true/false" though.
Zonar said:
One quick thought Duck. What if a rumor could have been true but it got canceled or the design turned into another game? Like Halo for the DS.

I think Surfer Girl should get credit for those as a sort of "true at the time".

What do you think?
Zonar said:
The problem with that is that for the most part, we wouldn't really know if and when a game has been cancelled... unless SG tells that said game has been now cancelled, which we wouldn't have any way to verify it existed to begin with anyway.

DuckRacer

Sorry to double post, but I separated the true and false rumors. They're at the top now.

Thanks to everyone for their help, suggestions, and support. :)

hauton

OK, now someone vet that list and find out which ones were expected/common sense/flat out known already.

jay

14) Capcom character could happen in SSBB (I'd say Mega Man, who has his own Wii-exclusive coming next year), but a Square character seems highly unlikely.

How is it false that something could have happened? It's not that we should declare it true because it was possible, more like we should ignore predictions that aren't saying anything concrete.

Ike said:
Keep in mind though, they'd never reveal something that close to launch. That would be suicide at retail. They would want to reveal it at E3 so they can build up consumer hype. Surprise launches don't work, just look at Saturn for proof.
Depends on what one might mean by "new handheld". A DS revision? I can see that getting only 1-2 months lead time.

linsivvi

Duck said:
Sorry to double post, but I separated the true and false rumors. They're at the top now.

Thanks to everyone for their help, suggestions, and support. :)

Hey good work. The original was a mess to read especially with all the imposter rumors being posted.

In the future, how about adding the original dates where the rumors were posted? It could be relevant in some cases.

sphinx

the piano man
jay said:
14) Capcom character could happen in SSBB (I'd say Mega Man, who has his own Wii-exclusive coming next year), but a Square character seems highly unlikely.

How is it false that something could have happened? It's not that we should declare it true because it was possible, more like we should ignore predictions that aren't saying anything concrete.

yeah, that's what I was thinking, apparently this surfer girl person has access to info even before it gets greenlighted.

if surfer girl gets word that a capcom representative mentioned in the launch that he would like to see megaman on brawl, then it's just that: a possibility.

and my guess is that most of surfer girl's stuff is in that nature: extremely premature info that most of the time gets scrapped the very next second someone even suggested it.

I am all for it, even if only a small percent of everything turns out to be true. It entretains me.

Mojovonio

Banned
pg212_2.jpg

DuckRacer

hauton said:
OK, now someone vet that list and find out which ones were expected/common sense/flat out known already.
Yeah, that needs to happen. I've tried to remove some of them but it needs more work.
border said:
How can this even be proven true or false?
It (the LucasArts partnership announcement) came only a few days after the BioWare buyout, I believe. I doubt they woke up that morning and said "hey let's make a game". It is not that much of a rumor, though.
jay said:

Good point. And I read it as "Square character seems highly likely" for whatever reason. :/ Off it goes.
linsivvi said:
In the future, how about adding the original dates where the rumors were posted? It could be relevant in some cases.
Could you give an example of such a case? I can't really think of one, but if it could help I'll try to add them in.

EDIT: Nevermind, just thought of one.

ManaByte

Gold Member
II) Everquest is coming to PS3

Flag this as false.

The closest EQ is going to the PS3 is putting a EQOA disc in the drive. SOE did do a PS3 tech demo for E3 2005 that featured a growing forest, and it did use the EQII engine, but it is in no way a PS3 version of EverQuest. SOE has DC, The Agency, and FreeRealms coming to the PS3 and those are the only major MMOs currently in real development there aside from some announced things in early concept stage like the Indian MMO. SOE Taiwan also has their Asian-market centered PC beat-em-up Kung Fu Hustle on the way in Asian markets.

Surfer girl is an idiot.

SOE Seattle - The Agency and minor The Matrix Online development support.
SOE Austin - DC and on-going SWG development.
SOE LA - Mobile phone games such as God of War, Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, etc.
SOE Taiwan - Kung Fu Hustle, EQ2 Asia (shut down)
SOE Denver - Card games.
SOE San Diego - Free Realms, on-going EverQuest development, on-going EverQuest II development, on-going PlanetSide development, on-going EQOA development. Console teams are here as well such as Untold Legends.

Back in 2006 Smed issued a new quality focus for SOE where EQ/EQII would be on a yearly expansion development time line as opposed to two expansions a year. Part of that was to focus on their three in-development MMOs. They had some unannounced games in early development (EVERY company does), and one looked EXTREMELY FUCKING AWESOME, but they made the decision to make sure Agency, DC, and Free Realms were as good as they could possibly be.

So basically, as of right now, EQ isn't going to the PS3. If it were to go to the PS3; it wouldn't be until well after the launch of DC and that is at least a couple years away.

Ashhong

aw my threads gonna die now =P

thats ok. i didnt plan on it getting big and didnt reserve space, so now its incomplete and pretty cluttered. nice work. way more effort than i would have done

batbeg

It might just be me who thinks this, but it'd look a lot nicer if you just had it set up as

"CONFIRMED

Quote 1

Quote 2

Quote 3"

as opposed to:

"CONFIRMED

Quote 1

CONFIRMED

Quote 2"

It'd just make it easier to read through the lists, I think.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Cheers for all the effort Duck, I'll definitly take a smaller pinch of salt with each rumour now.

DuckRacer

ManaByte said:
Flag this as false.
Will do, thanks. :)
batbeg said:
It might just be me who thinks this, but it'd look a lot nicer if you just had it set up as

"CONFIRMED

Quote 1

Quote 2

Quote 3"

as opposed to:

"CONFIRMED

Quote 1

CONFIRMED

Quote 2"

It'd just make it easier to read through the lists, I think.
Agreed.

EDIT: Did that for the true and false rumors. I'll do the unconfirmed rumors later.

Otheradam

Skate DLC under unconfirmed should be confirmed because there was an interview in EGM after the game came out with the developer that said they aren't doing DLC because they would rather focus on making the next game.

fernoca

Surfer Girl: 2007 said:
It's a Wonderful World is coming stateside next year as well.
That was confirmed.
Will be released around Spring as The World Ends with You.

Might was well put as "partially' true all the Red Steel 2 info since (apparently)
-Is not coming out before May.
-Will feature online modes

batbeg

I forgot to say, good work on the thread Duck. It damn well better not be locked, it's a much more convenient way of looking over the Surfergirl rumors and confirmations.

Ike

ShockingAlberto said:
Depends on what one might mean by "new handheld". A DS revision? I can see that getting only 1-2 months lead time.
I was, of course, talking about a new completely handheld like a follow up to DS and GBA.

gutshot

wsippel said:
Retro has two teams now as far as I know.

Yes, in another rumor he/she mentions Retro has two games in development. One for DS, the other a "new IP, not FPS."

Putting two and two together, I would assume that means that the Zelda spin-off game is for the DS.

Top Bottom