• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surfer Girl Rumors – What's True, What's False, and What's Unconfirmed

Fireblend

Banned
I have absolutely no idea who this Surfer Girl character is, but if this:
2) The Mother/Earthbound series is coming to Wii and/or DS stateside, very possibly next year. A Mother IV is only slightly more likely than Shenmue III
is remotely true, then she (he?) might as well be my new personal God.

gutshot said:
Yes, in another rumor he/she mentions Retro has two games in development. One for DS, the other a "new IP, not FPS."

Putting two and two together, I would assume that means that the Zelda spin-off game is for the DS.

I asked her in the comments section about the platform of the Zelda spinoff game, and she said that she didn't know for sure, but thought that it was for Wii.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Dayum. I hate surfergirl and yet I have to admit this is a good idea. Good job at collecting all the rumors OP

Nizz

Duck said:
<reserved for future rumors>
Thanks man, appreciate what you've done here. Hard to keep up with all the rumors going on. Having one place to check out what turns out to be true/false is fine by me!

DuckRacer

http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2008/02/in-smog-and-thunder.html
1) Disney has some sort of title "inspired" by Rock Band, also featuring the word "band."
2) Disney's Wii Balance Board title is some licensed thing with Hannah Montana and her High School Musicals.
3) The Wii version of Call of Duty 5 is that title that supports the Wii Zapper.
4) Some more about the last two words of this blog's title. Star Wars Galaxies will shut down within a year after the release of the new MMO.
The Artistic Lucases think that they have the only IP that can pose a serious challenge World of Warcraft and find that the setting of KOTOR is too niche to be a threat. They apparently expect the new Star War MMO to have at least three million subscribers by the end of the first year. As previously mentioned, some Edmonton studio is doing some Star Wars RPG about some knights in some old republic.
5) Mass Effect will be hitting the PC with bonus content included late this year/early next year.

This is one of those bits of speculation I hear that I hope is true, but probably is not.
6) Take-Two is declining interest on a BioShock movie because they want the film to be based off the game's original "cult deprogrammer" story, which apparently no one is interested in despite that it seems far fitting for celluloid than Xbox 360. In the very likely case that this is not true, please pursue making a film off this story.

Scanning the OP, the "Fight Night 2008 comes to Wii" rumor is listed as false.

Didn't Face Breaker originally start as Fight Night 2008? Thus if Face Breaker is coming to the Wii... by technicality, shouldn't that be moved to the "Partially Confirmed" section?

I am fairly sure this personality is a fraud - or at least some of her sources are.

I'm 99% sure that she's either many people or just has many inside sources - and some of these sources are frauds. Some, however, may be legit.

Just an assumption, but it's an educated assumption.

Snah said:
FALSE:

Insomniac games has resentment towards GG.

did they said something in the podcast? if thats the case, we can't make a statment. of course they won't admit it in public. this is the type of info that will neer be confirmed/unconfirmed

DuckRacer

Sega1991 said:
Scanning the OP, the "Fight Night 2008 comes to Wii" rumor is listed as false.

Didn't Face Breaker originally start as Fight Night 2008? Thus if Face Breaker is coming to the Wii... by technicality, shouldn't that be moved to the "Partially Confirmed" section?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9660049&postcount=25

Also, Surfer Girl's Facebreaker rumor never mentioned the Wii, so that can't "upgrade" it to a "partially true" rumor (God, I'm sounding lame).
Snah said:
FALSE:

I've edited out the rumors that cannot be proven true or false (like, ____ on Wii "possibly", Insomniac's resentment towards Guerrilla, etc).

Snah

Banned
seattle6418 said:
did they said something in the podcast? if thats the case, we can't make a statment. of course they won't admit it in public. this is the type of info that will neer be confirmed/unconfirmed

Insomniac totally denied it on their podcast and said they do a lot of sharing with GG, and it's a ridiculous rumor to begin with. Who constitutes Insomniac games? One person? Did they do a survey of all the employees?

It's a disingenuous comment that deserves to be put in the FALSE category because it's so inane and absurd.

Snah said:
FALSE:

Ehhh... Not necessarily. Sure, it was claimed otherwise on the podcast, but would you expect anything different? And can you be sure the guys on the podcast can speak for every single person at Insomniac?

I'm sure there is no institutional resentment of GG fueling Insomniac's efforts on R2, but I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if a handful of developers felt that way and at least one of them leaked those feelings to Surfer Girl (especially since SG has proven to have some sort of insider access to Insomniac in the past).

And if so, I don't think it's a big deal at all. No doubt developers are extremely competitive people and that only drives them to do their best, but they (usually) know better than to make such controversial statements about their 'rivals' in public.

I work in the media in another field and what people will say about their competitors off the record is vastly different than what they will say on it.

Snah

Banned
The Nature Roy said:
Ehhh... Not necessarily. Sure, it was claimed otherwise on the podcast, but would you expect anything different? And can you be sure the guys on the podcast can speak for every single person at Insomniac?

I'm sure there is no institutional resentment of GG fueling Insomniac's efforts on R2

Then the rumor is false. They denied it on their podcast. What more is there to prove?

A handful of employees not liking GG's product (if we are to assume this is the case) is != Insomniac games.

This rumor should be put in the false category because it was one of the most ridiculous rumors put forth on surfer girl and its intent was to stir up shit that didn't exist in the first place.

Snah said:
Then the rumor is false. They denied it on their podcast. What more is there to prove?
Granted, the wording ("general feeling of sharp resentment") is very strong and perhaps pushing towards unlikely, but even if it is true, you would expect such a denial, so that proves nothing. I don't see how this one can be considered anything other than unconfirmed.

Chris Michael said:
I am fairly sure this personality is a fraud - or at least some of her sources are.

I'm 99% sure that she's either many people or just has many inside sources - and some of these sources are frauds. Some, however, may be legit.

Just an assumption, but it's an educated assumption.

You just described most rumor outlets.

DarkJC

The Nature Roy said:
Granted, the wording ("general feeling of sharp resentment") is very strong and perhaps pushing towards unlikely, but even if it is true, you would expect such a denial, so that proves nothing. I don't see how this one can be considered anything other than unconfirmed.

The fact is that Insomniac Games as a company denies this. I don't even know why this is a "rumor" in the first place, but what does it matter if some employees at Insomniac Games feel resentment? It doesn't. It doesn't matter if we would expect a denial even if it were true. If Insomniac as a company denies it, it's false, and the personal feelings of employees don't even matter. Why this was even posted I'll have no idea, but it seems to have done its job.

DarkJC said:
If Insomniac as a company denies it, it's false, and the personal feelings of employees don't even matter.
No it doesn't. Not even close. And 'the personal feelings of employees' are exactly what the rumor referred to so they are the only things that matter.

How many times has a company denied something (especially something that paints them and/or a partner in an unflattering light) only for it to later be proven true? It's a regular part of the business.

I'm not suggesting that the rumor is in fact correct, but based on Surfer Girl's rumor history with Resistance 2, I think we should give a little extra weight to any claim made related to Insomniac.

The Jer

Thread needs "nonsense" in the title.

Good work with organizing the OP. I think this surfer girl crap is absolutely ridiculous, but good work nonetheless.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Is Shane dancing queen??

"Can I trust this "Dancing Queen" lady? http://metalrockthankthelord.blogspot.com"

"1) Somewhat, they are apparently a Ziff Davis employee."

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
masud said:
That better not be true.

It isn't exactly a sequel but a spin-off where the trucks live together and they go around and tell everyone their exciting stories. It is like the movie Cars but with edge.

Madman

The Nature Roy said:
No it doesn't. Not even close. And 'the personal feelings of employees' are exactly what the rumor referred to so they are the only things that matter.

How many times has a company denied something (especially something that paints them and/or a partner in an unflattering light) only for it to later be proven true? It's a regular part of the business.

I'm not suggesting that the rumor is in fact correct, but based on Surfer Girl's rumor history with Resistance 2, I think we should give a little extra weight to any claim made related to Insomniac.
Anyone who works in the magazine industry or the gaming industry in general probably knew about what Resistance would be like. SG was the only one to leak it is all.

Madman said:
Anyone who works in the magazine industry or the gaming industry in general probably knew about what Resistance would be like. SG was the only one to leak it is all.

Just to chime in, it's not like you start working for a game company and gain this wealth of knowledge pertaining to all other companies and their products... Of course, there are those around companies that know more than most - but I'd feel comfortable to say it's the exception, not the rule.

Collectively, at a company, you might have a ton of random info - since different people have different friends and other companies. You still have to be pretty proactive to keep up.

:)

ManaByte

Gold Member
4) Some more about the last two words of this blog's title. Star Wars Galaxies will shut down within a year after the release of the new MMO. The Artistic Lucases think that they have the only IP that can pose a serious challenge World of Warcraft and find that the setting of KOTOR is too niche to be a threat. They apparently expect the new Star War MMO to have at least three million subscribers by the end of the first year. As previously mentioned, some Edmonton studio is doing some Star Wars RPG about some knights in some old republic.

:lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Duck said:

That's a lot of people to expect to sign up for a SW MMO, frankly I don't think a SW MMO would ever work, too many people would want to be Jedis, and in the SW universe the Jedis are the ultimate badasses and nothing else, the power gap is just too great.
Indifferent2.gif

AAK said:
You do realize that was your exact same reply when everyone hypothesized that you guys were making God of War for PSP right?

Yeah but I can't really pull that trick anymore, because everyone knows I work there now. The fun is gone =(

Seriously though, twisted metal? C'mon... that doesn't even make any SENSE!!!

AAK

Yeah I agree, Surfer homosexual is out there laughing his ass off at how many idiots falter to his BS. Just reminding you ;)

Terrell

Wizpig said:
"MegaMan exclusive for the Wii"?
Excuse me, wtf?
What's that?
Uhhh, this kinda stacks up with what has already been said by Capcom brass. Inafune himself stated that PS3 owners have a graphics expectation that a game of Mega Man-type presentation would never be able to fill which would translate to poor sales, and Wii is more than capable of doing so. He also believed that Wii had more gamers in Mega Man's core demographic, which is certainly debatable, but the man said it himself, nonetheless.
So yeah.... Mega Man is gonna end up on Wii, if anywhere, this gen.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
flarkminator said:
Yeah but I can't really pull that trick anymore, because everyone knows I work there now. The fun is gone =(

Seriously though, twisted metal? C'mon... that doesn't even make any SENSE!!!

oh my gosh you ARE making twisted metal

Top Bottom