• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surfer Girl Rumors – What's True, What's False, and What's Unconfirmed

DuckRacer

LiveFromKyoto said:
I really hope the Bioshock thing's wrong. If the sequel's multi and there's already a PC version, I don't see the harm in releasing a PS3 version a year after the fact, unless they really believe the money they'd make isn't worth the bother.
Well, that's the thing. Bioshock did very well, compared to what it was expected to do. But even still, it only did like 500k its first month. A Bioshock PS3 port that's coming over a year after the 360 version, in a month when other big games will be releasing (LBP, SocomC, Force Unleashed, Midnight Club LA, etc), to a system that (rightfully) doesn't respond favorably to ports... well... I doubt they'd sell enough copies to actually justify a port.

Also:
Contrary to what the EGM section of gossip that was definitely told to them by insiders and that totally was not taken from the buffet of blogs including this one and a smorgasbord of message boards (sorry, had to do it),
luls Shrayne.Settenhausen

Parish posted some rumors/speculation in his blog after talking to Miyamoto. Seems to corroborate Punch Out at least. link

Almost as interesting were the things he didn't talk about; you can infer a lot from a publisher/developer/executive's reticence. Of course, making out the truth is sort of like describing an elephant in a dark room by sense of touch: You can definitely get a sense of the outline, but you're probably going to be off on the details. So here are some (possibly incorrect!) predictions:

* Punch-Out!! will be returning on Wii, with Balance Board support. (Source: I asked why Don King's Prizefighter was the first boxing game to support the peripheral while Punch-Out!! was nowhere to be seen; he laughed and shook his hands and said, "I can't talk about anything until E3!"
* Pikmin for Wii (or maybe DS?) will be revealed next year. (Source: he says he's "still trying to figure out what to do with Pikmin.")
* New Zelda game to be revealed by the end of the year. (Source: He says the Zelda team's gotten back together. Also, common freakin' sense.)
* Online support for Wii Fit coming in an update. (Another "I can't talk about anything until E3" response.)

FrankT

TheOddOne said:
What wait...didn't she say bioshock 2 was PS360? And is it true what she said that microsoft is also helping pay bioshock 2?

She did not comment on the other stuff from EGM..

Hmm, so MS did end up paying for Bioshock 2 then. She has gone back and forth 3 times now on this I believe. Going around in circles just a bit, and she is denying any Bioshock port as well now?

Johnas

bafflewaffle said:
Almost as interesting were the things he didn't talk about; you can infer a lot from a publisher/developer/executive's reticence. Of course, making out the truth is sort of like describing an elephant in a dark room by sense of touch: You can definitely get a sense of the outline, but you're probably going to be off on the details. So here are some (possibly incorrect!) predictions:

* Punch-Out!! will be returning on Wii, with Balance Board support. (Source: I asked why Don King's Prizefighter was the first boxing game to support the peripheral while Punch-Out!! was nowhere to be seen; he laughed and shook his hands and said, "I can't talk about anything until E3!"
* Pikmin for Wii (or maybe DS?) will be revealed next year. (Source: he says he's "still trying to figure out what to do with Pikmin.")
* New Zelda game to be revealed by the end of the year. (Source: He says the Zelda team's gotten back together. Also, common freakin' sense.)
* Online support for Wii Fit coming in an update. (Another "I can't talk about anything until E3" response.

Punch-Out!!!! Hopefully it won't require the balance board.

Still no Pikmin until next year? Maybe he's just playing coy.

Zelda: OH YES. Was expecting it already, hopefully they'll have something to show.

Jacobi

Banned
bafflewaffle said:
Parish posted some rumors/speculation in his blog after talking to Miyamoto. Seems to corroborate Punch Out at least. link
CRAP F you Nintendo, not getting a Wii, develop GAMES already DAMMIT
(I'm pissed because of Pikmin)

DuckRacer

Jtyettis said:
Hmm, so MS did end up paying for Bioshock 2 then. She has gone back and forth 3 times now on this I believe. Going around in circles just a bit, and she is denying any Bioshock port as well now?
Well, basically:

1. At first, she implied MS paid for BS2.

2. Then she reported later that an MS employee said that they paid for BS2, but the employee was joking, as said by...

3. ...the third rumor, which says BS2 is a free 360/PC exclusive, while also denying any reports of a BS1 PS3 port.

So, if the latest version of the rumor is true, BS2 is exclusive to 360/PC because of constraints instead of moneyhats. Which doesn't make the most sense in the world, but who knows.

Also:
I thought I might add a bit more to the Gamasutra story about layoffs at Sandblast and Rainbow.

Yesterday, Jack Sorenson, THQ head of worldwide studios, announced that Sandblast Games (former known as Cranky Pants Games) will be going through "massive layoffs" with the most likely outcome being the closure of Sandblast. The layoffs will be "phased" to allow the studio to finish Destroy All Humans 3, and there is a small possibility that the studio will be kept open to work on ports.

Several artists were let go yesterday and the design team has been left essentially nonexistent; the majority of the remaining staff are being informed today of their layoff day.

However, there has been nothing suggested to me that Rainbow is in danger of closing.
http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2008/04/sandblasted.html

Luckyman

Banned
Zenith said:
because it's standard in any business to say no comment. if you deny things that are false then when you say no comment people will take it as confirmation.

We have seen them flat out deny it before

AniHawk

Sounds like Zelda will be a 2010 title. I'd be okay with that. We've been going at a rate of 1 Zelda a year since 1998 and it's time for a break. Plus, I want to see them do something really imaginative.

I thought Pikmin would be closer, but I guess it'll be a 2009 title. That's okay. I just hope it's not on the DS.

ThirdEye

Duck said:
Well, basically:

1. At first, she implied MS paid for BS2.

2. Then she reported later that an MS employee said that they paid for BS2, but the employee was joking, as said by...

3. ...the third rumor, which says BS2 is a free 360/PC exclusive, while also denying any reports of a BS1 PS3 port.

So, if the latest version of the rumor is true, BS2 is exclusive to 360/PC because of constraints instead of moneyhats. Which doesn't make the most sense in the world, but who knows.

Also:

http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2008/04/sandblasted.html
Too much BS going on there

TheOddOne

Some new stuff, i picked only the game stuff

2) What do you think of Duke Nukem Forever?
Chauvinist content that was outmoded in 1998 dressed in some obscure, grody fashion from 2004. I do not think folks who insist that an American Indian character being named "Tommy Hawk" is core to the creative vision of the game deserve your money this fall. If you want your hard earned crash to regress the medium, kudos to you, but I like progression and I hope you do too. In other words, Duke Nukem Forever is outmoded in the same way George's mullet is.

6) What do you make of 50 Cent: Blood in the Sand?
Second best Sierra game coming out this fall, right after the greatest game ever. Hopefully, we'll get a new FAQ from VampireHorde, whose FAQ of 50 Cent: Bulletproof (strong language warning) is the greatest entry I have ever read on GameFAQs.

8) Tell me something I do not know.
Nintendo will not approve promotional material that shows interaction with the Wiimote if said promotional material does not have the Wiimote jackets, there has been a couple of instances where folks have had to completely redo promotional materials because they had no Wiimote jackets. Nintendo is way stringent when it comes to the content in promotional materials of products for their systems.

:lol :lol :lol

KingJ2002

"Max Payne 3 will see release in either summer or fall of [2008] for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3"

there might be some truth to this rumor... ludacris is currently working on the max payne movie that supposed to have a video game tie in from rockstar (supposedly the movie and the game is dropping this fall)

Quazar

So regarding Fallout 3 platform status, gamasutra just posted interview with Hines:

edit: forgot to post this part:

And you're confident on your fall simultaneous ship?

PH: Oh, absolutely. Absolutely.

Do you guys have a publishing partner, or are you going to do that?

PH: No, this is just us.

So you won't be taking one on before you ship?

PH: Yeah. Yeah. I mean, at this date. You know, we've heard a lot of offers, and heard from a lot of different suitors, but we've been in the publishing side of this industry for more than twenty years, and at times have done it on our own. Morrowind, in America, we did on our own here; Oblivion, we decided to approach the co-publishing model worldwide; and we've opened up our office in Europe now, to do sales stuff over there.

So I think that this is the road that we're going to be going down, of self-publishing our own stuff, and doing it that way going forward.

For the rest of the interview: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18463

Duderz

Banned
After Phantom Hourglass, I'd be happy with the franchise taking a long break.

Hopefully they go with cel-shaing, though. Beautiful style, but neither game that used it was great.

Mau ®

"No Comment" is an odd response considering 2K has been throwing definite answers before like "Bioshock IS NOT coming to PS3, its a 360/PC exclusive".

I really hope it is coming.

ivysaur12

Banned
Duderz said:
Hopefully they go with cel-shaing, though. Beautiful style, but neither game that used it was great.

surprisedsm.jpg

2) What do you think of Duke Nukem Forever?
Chauvinist content that was outmoded in 1998 dressed in some obscure, grody fashion from 2004. I do not think folks who insist that an American Indian character being named "Tommy Hawk" is core to the creative vision of the game deserve your money this fall. If you want your hard earned crash to regress the medium, kudos to you, but I like progression and I hope you do too. In other words, Duke Nukem Forever is outmoded in the same way George's mullet is.

Sounds like DNF is on track in at least one respect.

Busty

Banned
Oh Surfergirl. Will you ever win?

Surfergirl said:
1) Propaganda Games' forthcoming PCS360 action-RPG is due out in 2010, "an original open world title" and I hear Oblivion is the game to beat/inspiration/reference/party hat supplier.
2) A few folks where wondering what exactly the connection between High Impact Games and Bionic Games is. For starters, the two devs share senior folk such as Roberto Rodriguez and Mike Haller. In addition, the Bionic's Lankershim office is where High Impact was originally located.
3) Fun fact: Ico was the game to beat/inspiration/reference/party hat supplier for Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, pretty much everyone on that team played through Ico. From what I hear, Okami is the game to beat/inspiration/reference/party hat supplier for the forthcoming Prince of Persia.

Pretty much business as usual.

But this is quite interesting. Are MS trying to money hat Prince of Persia Zero?

Surfergirl said:
4) If a quite reliable Parisian and a couple other Frenchmen are to be believed, Microsoft is attempting to get exclusivity rights to a Le Petit Prince game.

At least, that's what I assume it is. And frankly, it wouldn't surprise me.

But in saying that, shouldn't Ubisoft finish what's on it's plate and actually get around to finishing SC:Conviction for MS first?

Busty said:
But this is quite interesting. Are MS trying to money hat Prince of Persia Zero?

It would be pointless... its coming to 360 anyway, whats the point? It wouldn't sell units, they'd be better off putting their money into another game.

FrankT

Quazar said:
So regarding Fallout 3 platform status, gamasutra just posted interview with Hines:

edit: forgot to post this part:

And you're confident on your fall simultaneous ship?

PH: Oh, absolutely. Absolutely.

Do you guys have a publishing partner, or are you going to do that?

PH: No, this is just us.

So you won't be taking one on before you ship?

PH: Yeah. Yeah. I mean, at this date. You know, we've heard a lot of offers, and heard from a lot of different suitors, but we've been in the publishing side of this industry for more than twenty years, and at times have done it on our own. Morrowind, in America, we did on our own here; Oblivion, we decided to approach the co-publishing model worldwide; and we've opened up our office in Europe now, to do sales stuff over there.

So I think that this is the road that we're going to be going down, of self-publishing our own stuff, and doing it that way going forward.

For the rest of the interview: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18463

Yea, I read that this week and another article stating that Bethseda is not going to even be at E3. The odds of the F3 rumor coming full circle are going down.

E-phonk

Banned
BrodiemanTTR said:
It would be the same thing as Viva Pinata though.

"Okay kids here's one game and a TV show, everyone buy a $400 360 now."
Except that it's 199 now in Europe.

Still agree though.

Sean

Banned
There's been an update to the last rumor.

4) If a quite reliable Parisian and a couple other Frenchmen are to be believed, Microsoft is attempting to get exclusivity rights to a Le Petit Prince (or in English, The Little Prince) game.

UPDATE: Number four is not cryptic code to say that Microsoft is trying to buy exclusivity to the new Prince of Persia game. According to a couple of Frenchmen, Microsoft is in negotiations with MKO Games to get exclusivity rights for their game based off The Little Prince.

If that didn't mention MKO games, I'd think that it was actually code for another exclusive Katamari game (little prince living on an asteroid). As it is, it just sounds like something that probably wouldn't be very exciting unless they are trying to make a really really bizarre Mario Galaxy rip-off.

TheOddOne

UPDATE: Number four is not cryptic code to say that Microsoft is trying to buy exclusivity to the new Prince of Persia game. According to a couple of Frenchmen, Microsoft is in negotiations with MKO Games to get exclusivity rights for their game based off The Little Prince.

MS going after it, must be something special. This makes me think about ''New Microsoft Game Studios Office For Europe'' thing a couple of months ago, are they finally coming outta there shell?

Sean said:
There's been an update to the last rumor.
The Little Prince game. While the story is a great story, I do not see how it can be translated to a game and why it would be of such great interest to Microsoft.

It is also a shame that we won't even see Pikmin Wii until next year.

Station42

new rumor, cosmic smash for the US.

Also, someone sent an email saying that "they are making a Prince game." Please, please, please be true. If Sega can decide to revive Cosmic Smash for an American release, anything is possible, right?

btw what does she mean with "new prince game"???

Rayne.S

Banned
Fallout 3 ended up with Ubisoft

Bethesda

Fallout 3 is a very important title for us, thus we are glad to be working with Ubisoft [Sean Brennan MD Bethesda]

Those interested can have the NL pressrelease.

Exclusivity is not mentioned. I'll find out by tomorrow.

Anyone interested in ongoing rumors just need to check post 1116 in this very thread.

De Meern, Nederland- 7 mei, 2008- Ubisoft, een van werelds grootste videogame uitgeverijen, maakt vandaag bekend een distributie overeenkomst te hebben gesloten met Bethesda Softworks®, een ZeniMax Media bedrijf, om Fallout®3 te distribueren voor Playstation®3 computer entertainment systeem, Xbox 360® en PC in Frankrijk, Duitsland, Zwitserland, Oostenrijk, België, Nederland, Zweden, Noorwegen, Denemarken, Finland, en IJsland.

Rayne.S said:
Fallout 3 ended up with Ubisoft

“Fallout 3 is een zeer belangrijke titel voor ons en we zijn dan ook blij dat we samen werken met een bedrijf als Ubisoft die de distributie expertise heeft,” aldus Sean Brennan, Managing Director van Bethesda Softworks’ European publishing operation.
“We kijken er naar uit om met Ubisoft samen te werken om van deze titel nog een groter succes te maken.”
What about exclusivity?

Rayne.S

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
What about exclusivity?

Edited my post as most people here don;t speak dutch very well. No exclusivity is mentioned in the press release.

I can give out my source now as news broke, SM at Atari. Atari was in the race, together with Take 2, Ubi and KOCH to do the distribution for Fallout, rumors started in all four camps.

As it stand right now, no exclusivity.

Epiphyte

snack said:
The Little Prince game. While the story is a great story, I do not see how it can be translated to a game and why it would be of such great interest to Microsoft.

It is also a shame that we won't even see Pikmin Wii until next year.
Unless they somehow try to turn it into a Galaxy clone

Rayne.S said:
I can give out my source now as news broke, SM at Atari. Atari was in the race, together with Take 2, Ubi and KOCH to do the distribution for Fallout, rumors started in all four camps.

As it stand right now, no exclusivity.

Did anybody take your permaban bet when you were running around calling anybody who doubted you a 'little dick' and talking about how you were going to take everybody down once the smoke cleared?

Can you explain how Atari would want to reduce their profits by not supporting 360? I'm probably naive as to how business works in Europe.

Rayne.S

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Did anybody take your permaban bet when you were running around calling anybody who doubted you a 'little dick' and talking about how you were going to take everybody down once the smoke cleared?

Can you explain how Atari would want to reduce their profits by not supporting 360? I'm probably naive as to how business works in Europe.

Yes and no.

Not explaining anything, i'm just the messenger.

As far as posting or deleting my account, its up to GAF, i'm fine either way.

In the mean time post 1116 will be my sole spot for rumors. If GAF approves i'm here to stay, if my account is flushed, so be it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Stumpokapow said:
if you somehow haven't seen the film, you should check that out too. very very touching!

i haven't, for fear that the movie might have a sullying effect too! adding it to my netflix queue.

KZObsessed

oh my! Rayne.S is back! I thought you were perm'd.

I believe you weren't lying tho judging by you 1116 post, just the distribution deal didn't go through.

Oh, you were right about a "very limited Limited Edition MGS4" for Europe.

I hope you're right about San Andreas Stories for PSP

But then I'm still hoping you're wrong about Killzone co-op being dropped. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
beelzebozo said:
i haven't, for fear that the movie might have a sullying effect too! adding it to my netflix queue.

it is an older film so expect it to be somewhat visually minimal and a little washed out, but it's well acted and blocked, the songs are nice, and it's totally worth a watch. gene wilder's cameo (as the fox) is excellent especially.

Top Bottom