• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surfer Girl Rumors – What's True, What's False, and What's Unconfirmed

Lightning

Banned
"There is going to be a defection that is going to stun a lot of people, delight many, and anger quite a few. It's a possibility that everyone has at least considered, but when it comes true, probably in early 2009, it will still surprise many."

Apparently Skaterboi posted that on his blog. Interesting should that happen although I have no idea what he means. It has something to do with Sony, according to skaterboi...

kenta

Has no PEINS
Lightning said:
"There is going to be a defection that is going to stun a lot of people, delight many, and anger quite a few. It's a possibility that everyone has at least considered, but when it comes true, probably in early 2009, it will still surprise many."

Apparently Skaterboi posted that on his blog. Interesting should that happen although I have no idea what he means. It has something to do with Sony, according to skaterboi...
Insomniac to develop on 360?

kassatsu

Banned
Lightning said:

FF13 on 360 OMGZ

Opus Angelorum said:
Well the term defection would suggest a single person rather than an entire development house.

A true replacement for Phil Harrison?

People used the term to describe the Bizarre, Bungie, and BioWare moves at different points. I'm sure it'll be a dev house. I'm just not sure who MS has left to lose, but I'm sure they'll figure out someone valuable to lose hold of.

kenta

Has no PEINS
BenjaminBirdie said:
If it has "something to do with Sony" it could go in any and all directions.
Well he calls it a "defection" which means they'd have to be loyal to their current partner and Insomniac has been loyal to Sony for a decade (which would qualify as a "stun" move). It's a possibility we've all considered since Insomniac is truly third-party and can do whatever they want, and early 2009 would be when they'd announce their next project after Resistance 2

Not to mention the Full Moon Show has been quite friendly with the Microsoft peeps lately with Major Nelson and Lukems/Stinkles and whatnot

kenta said:
Well he calls it a "defection" which means they'd have to be loyal to their current partner. It's a possibility we've all considered since Insomniac is truly third-party and can do whatever they want, and early 2009 would be when they'd announce their next project after Resistance 2

Not to mention the Full Moon Show has been quite friendly with the Microsoft peeps lately with Major Nelson and Lukems/Stinkles and whatnot

They had Mjolnir on when Resisto launched, if I recall correctly. Or maybe he had some Insomniac people on his show. Either way, it's not really a new wrinkle. History tells us that it's MS who has deep seated allergies against retaining any kind of control over valuable creative assets.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
defections that would piss people off most likely refers to an exclusive title either no-longer remaining exclusive or switching platforms altogether.

JaseMath

I'm gonna guess that Square-Enix will put Nintendo as its primary platform company over Sony.
No, not really...but anything can happen anymore.

kenta

Has no PEINS
BenjaminBirdie said:
History tells us that it's MS who has deep seated allergies against retaining any kind of control over valuable creative assets.
So then why would you consider a Microsoft defection to qualify as a "stunning" move? Defecting to Microsoft would be a "stunning" move, I'd think

kenta said:
So then why would you consider a Microsoft defection to qualify as a "stunning" move?

I wouldn't. But then my post has not been met with confetti and streamers and mile-high banners reading "OF COURSE GOOD MAN, YOU ARE RIGHT ONCE AGAIN" so it would probably stun somebody out there.

Busty

Banned
Lightning said:

IIRC he later clarified that he was talking about a (Japanese...?) third party game that's currently a PS3 exclusive but will hop over the 360 in 2009.

He then went on to say that he was 96% sure. Frankly, I don't think he's that sure himself.

But from what he's been describing, he said it would be a bigger title then Tekken 6 (that was the current guess from the comments being left) and would shock many.

Let's be honest. It really doesn't take alot ot think about what he's talking about.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Insomniac is also in a hiring blitz right now, too, thanks to the pinBallz video. I'm starting to believe :p

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Busty said:
IIRC he later clarified that he was talking about a (Japanese) third party game that's currently a PS3 exclusive but will hop over the 360 in 2009.

He then went on to say that he was 96% sure. Frankly, I don't think he's that sure himself.

But from what he's been describing, he said it would be a bigger title then Tekken 6 (that was the current guess from the comments being left) and would shock many.

Let's be honest. It really doesn't take alot ot think about what he's talking about.

gran turismo? ;)

wazoo

JasonMCG said:

I'm gonna guess that Square-Enix will put Nintendo as its primary platform company over Sony.
No, not really...but anything can happen anymore.

If you still consider him as a possible insider, you have to ask about him having informations about japanese companies.

clashfan

Busty said:
IIRC he later clarified that he was talking about a (Japanese) third party game that's currently a PS3 exclusive but will hop over the 360 in 2009.

The only thing I can think of is FF or MGS...

Busty

Banned
clashfan said:
The only thing I can think of is FF or MGS...

If I had to make an educated guess..... I'd say.....

Metal Gear Online....... spoilers increase da tension yo....

golem said:
theyre developing their own ips for a reason

:lol .....what?

Shad dap.....

I really can't see it being FF... I doubt it will even be out on PS3 in early 09 plus I doubt S-E would really be interested in putting it on 360...

I highly doubt it has anything to do with Bungie. While it's technically possible, I don't see Bungie pursuing the PS3 this soon in independent development. They're very comfortable and familiar with developing for the Xbox 360 so I expect Bungie to keep their focus their alongside Microsoft for at least the generation. When new platforms emerge, I could see Bungie dabbling in developing for them, but if anything comes to fruition, who knows.

I expect Bungie to announced a new 360 exclusive at E3 2008, something not Halo related. But more Halo 3 maps will come after the new batch I imagine too. Probably a little further down the road though.

clashfan

steverulez said:
I really can't see it being FF... I doubt it will even be out on PS3 in early 09 plus I doubt S-E would really be interested in putting it on 360...

Why would SE not consider the 360? A FF clone Lost Odyssey sold over 200K in the US. I'm sure FF would do even better then that. Companies don't like to turn away money...

Quazar

PantherLotus said:
but it could sell another 500k copies in japan! (the current 360 userbase after two years)

Well NA/EU it would do great. For other reasons it won't go to 360 though. Has shit to do with Japan. :)

Narag

steverulez said:

The only reason I feel the way I do is those are the last two big third party exclusive franchises. Remember the tears shed over the DMC4 betrayalton?

48 fucking pages.

clashfan said:
Why would SE not consider the 360? A FF clone Lost Odyssey sold over 200K in the US. I'm sure FF would do even better then that. Companies don't like to turn away money...

You clearly don't understand the relationship between SE and SCE or how FFXIII is funded. All this 360 speculation is pointless.

Top Bottom