• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 34: Game Changers |OT| We Have To Go Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomster

Seems like we were deprived from seeing someone conduct some 4 dimensional chess at the expense of a dramatic edit. Tai playing along with Sandra had to be part of he plan. Ozzy kept his cool too much when it came up

Seems like we were deprived from seeing someone conduct some 4 dimensional chess at the expense of a dramatic edit. Tai playing along with Sandra had to be part of he plan. Ozzy kept his cool too much when it came up

Nah. Tai definitely went off the deep end. No way would he be ok with his name being written down. He's not that way.

The edit clearly cut the part where they changed their mind and said "No, vote Sandra." But that's it. And Ozzy was a bit panicked, but he kept his cool because he's been in this situation before and he's a good player. He knew people were going to put a target on his back - he's possibly the best challenge competitor ever and certainly in any season he's been in, including this one.

Got

Banned
tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500.gif

like, what the fuck just happened.

UberTag

Nah. Tai definitely went off the deep end. No way would he be ok with his name being written down. He's not that way.

The edit clearly cut the part where they changed their mind and said "No, vote Sandra." But that's it. And Ozzy was a bit panicked, but he kept his cool because he's been in this situation before and he's a good player. He knew people were going to put a target on his back - he's possibly the best challenge competitor ever and certainly in any season he's been in, including this one.
Dude is going to be ganged up on at the merge by literally everyone. It's almost unfair. Being shuffled around tribes repeatedly means challenge threats like him have had almost no chance to curry a meaningful alliance for protection. Dude's reputation is going to kill him.

Which is funny 'cause I suspect Michaela is probably a bigger challenge threat than he is at his age.

Cirie's continued avoidance of pre-merge tribal councils is going to result in a strong jury run for her, I suspect.
Wouldn't be surprised to see her dominate the 2nd half of this season the same way Sandra dominated the first half.

_Nemo

DAMMIT NOOO!!!!

This is why a season like "Game Changers" should have had all 20 players being actual iconic players. If heavy hitters keep getting booted, we'll just be left with small fish halfway through, and that'll suck. If all 20 were iconic players, then these big hits wouldn't hurt as bad.

Tony, Malcolm, JT, Sandra. That was literally my top list. The only one left now for me to root for is Cirie and Zeke.

ironmang

Even if her strategy is entertaining, I won't be sad to stop hearing "Queen stays Queen" 5x a week. Only would have been better if she was first juror and had to greet everybody at ponderosa.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I don't entirely see Queen as Queen. She is a good player, but she didn't have a shield this time with the likes of Russel and Parv. That took off so much heat and typically, all she needed to do was be next to them. Since they would typically make the big moves and take the shit for it.

The last Tribal, she was gunning way too hard. If it wasn't this week, it would be soon though. She's simply not the leader type. It's not entirely her fault since she came in here with the biggest target, but she isn't capable of being the center figure of a group. She went too hard, too quick.

omg_mjd

Great episode. Sandra's so good she got the most respectful send-off I've seen so far. Hell, she's so good her mind control worked on the audience too, judging by the many fans she's amassed in this thread.

Sarah was spot on with her read on her. ("It's like she's grooming you.")

Loved Sandra's handling of it all, loved them clapping for her. Really good episode all around.

I'm kind of tired of the big players going out though. As much as I am not a huge fan of Sandra I was really rooting for Tai to go there. Thought for sure he was going after the immediate two idols.

Catvoca

Banned
DAMMIT NOOO!!!!

This is why a season like "Game Changers" should have had all 20 players being actual iconic players. If heavy hitters keep getting booted, we'll just be left with small fish halfway through, and that'll suck. If all 20 were iconic players, then these big hits wouldn't hurt as bad.

Tony, Malcolm, JT, Sandra. That was literally my top list. The only one left now for me to root for is Cirie and Zeke.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried the post merge will be a bunch of Troy, Sierra Dawn Thomas and all the other least interesting players duking it out.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried the post merge will be a bunch of Troy, Sierra Dawn Thomas and all the other least interesting players duking it out.

Right now it's reminding me a whole lot of Caramoan in a way with how it's shaping up. Not so much with the big players being voted out, but with it being a returning season and it coming down in the merge to one close knit alliance playing it pretty by the numbers to the end . I could see Brad, Troyzan, Sierra, Tai and a few more sticking together to the end and it being pretty boring and by the numbers.

1) Happy to see Sandra go. The "grooming" comment was both chilling and accurate.
2) Tai has balls of steel to not use an idol. Wow. (Or the edit was clearly shady, or both)

Honestly Tai using idols the next few weeks would be pretty interesting to me, just because with that kind of firepower you can destabilize the entire tribe and pretty much break the alliances like straw. It's just that while I think he could do that, I'm not convinced he has the awareness to actually pull it off.

Still, would be great to see how much scrambling would have happen each tribal to deal with Tai maybe/maybe not using an idol, how they split the votes, etc. It's basically a Russell situation but without a truly overbearing personality running the show. (The actual overbearing personality is Debbie though...)

I dislike Sandra. She seems mean and way too full of herself.

I still like Tai. I feel bad for him, despite the fact that he's destructive.

walei

Great episode. Sandra's so good she got the most respectful send-off I've seen so far. Hell, she's so good her mind control worked on the audience too, judging by the many fans she's amassed in this thread.

Sarah was spot on with her read on her. ("It's like she's grooming you.")

I would've given her a standing ovation. Still the Queen.

UberTag

Thought she took literally the worst option.
Given her position in the game she definitely did.
The tribal immunity challenge advantage would have been invaluable. Might well have been a free ticket to the merge and a way to curry favor with a tribe that just lost and might well wind up losing again.

That said, I fully expected her to take the additional vote perk.

Given her position in the game she definitely did.
The tribal immunity challenge advantage would have been invaluable. Might well have been a free ticket to the merge and a way to curry favor with a tribe that just lost and might well wind up losing again.

That said, I fully expected her to take the additional vote perk.

Or it might have been a complete waste. The extra vote can change the game in her favor. It was by far the best advantage available to her.

Or it might have been a complete waste. The extra vote can change the game in her favor. It was by far the best advantage available to her.

I'd have absolutely not faith in Debbie using It well....at all, but I think in a game this paranoid and filled with previous players a fake idol would have probably been just as beneficial as a real idol. Especially this close to a merge with the numbers being low.

There is just so few opportunities for the double vote to even be useful.

ultron87

Given that challenge advantages are usually almost assured wins, I think giving yourself an nearly assured extra set of days to work your way into your new tribe would be better than having an extra vote that only helps in scenarios where there is a 1 vote differential. Which is a scenario that she is unlikely to be in given her actions the previous week that alienated her from four others.

llehuty

Given that challenge advantages are usually almost assured wins, I think giving yourself an nearly assured extra set of days to work your way into your new tribe would be better than having an extra vote that only helps in scenarios where there is a 1 vote differential. Which is a scenario that she is unlikely to be in given her actions the previous week that alienated her from four others.
She doesn't need advantages to win challenges, haven't you seen her resume?
lol

But it was probably her train of thought,
lol.

Ultimately, Debbie made the best choice, even though the extra vote hasn't worked out before. She does have a big advantage with it compared to Dan and Stephen, though. No one knows she has it, so they won't be concerned with what advantage she has (unless she blows it and winds up revealing it to someone).

The fake idol kit is completely pointless, and there's probably only going to be one more tribal council before the merge, so the immunity advantage isn't that powerful. There's at least a 50% chance it wouldn't have been needed anyway.

vypek

Ultimately, Debbie made the best choice, even though the extra vote hasn't worked out before. She does have a big advantage with it compared to Dan and Stephen, though. No one knows she has it, so they won't be concerned with what advantage she has (unless she blows it and winds up revealing it to someone).

The fake idol kit is completely pointless, and there's probably only going to be one more tribal council before the merge, so the immunity advantage isn't that powerful. There's at least a 50% chance it wouldn't have been needed anyway.

The kit definitely looked like the worst idea to me. But I did make me think of the time that someone made a fake idol and gave it to someone that they were going to blindside.

I feel like those who devalue the effect of a fake idol are thinking of it in the method that most fake idols are used. As just an attempt to get out of trouble. I feel like an authentic looking fake idol used in the way that Fishbach likes to use idols(to gain alliances by revealing it to people and gain trust). I feel like the select use of the information of having an idol could be used pretty well in a season like this with so many people being paranoid.

I would have no faith in Debbie using it this way, but I think it could be pretty damn powerful if you're in the right position and use it wisely.

If I were on a season with Sandra, I think I'd do everything I could to get her as far as possible. I mean, I'd want to get myself as far as possible first, of course, but it would be so hard for me to write her name down. I'd probably refuse, actually. lol

kirblar

If I were on a season with Sandra, I think I'd do everything I could to get her as far as possible. I mean, I'd want to get myself as far as possible first, of course, but it would be so hard for me to write her name down. I'd probably refuse, actually. lol
This is exactly the reason why FvF seasons don't work btw. People get starstruck.

Arkeband

Banned
Tai is absolutely insane. His trusts flip after a light breeze. They're going to take him out simply because he's unpredictable.

I was thoroughly entertained... he's pure, unintentional chaos. I can't imagine any of that was premeditated. Everyone around him was panicking and dropping all pretense.

llehuty

I would like to know the reaction of Cochran when he saw the reality behind what Debbie told him about the conflict with Culdpepper.

Leeness

I would like to know the reaction of Cochran when he saw the reality behind what Debbie told him about the conflict with Culdpepper.

Same lol.

I honestly feel like they basically orchestrated that to pull Debbie from the game briefly to calm her down. Last episode was very uncomfortable so I can see them wanting to remove her for a bit without being all "Your mental issues are disrupting the game, you need to go home."

I think there are only 2 maybe 3 in Survivor history i'd feel the same about.
Colby - dude was like a hero to me as a 10year old.
Boston Rob - though I think actually in the game i'd feel the opposite. Probably one of the least i'd want to go far with.
Tony

Krogan

They gave way too much to Debbie, food, a nice place to sleep and alone time is just what she needed. Advice from a previous winner (which I don't think is much of an bonus on its own) and a choice of three advantages feels overkill. Tai found his 3rd idol this season, Troyzan has an idol, Debbie has an extra vote and Sierra has the legacy advantage and basically no one else knows but those who have it. I hope nothing else gets added to the mix before some of these advantages get used.

oatmeal

Banned
Really thought that Tai would somehow give SANDRA an idol.

So happy. QUEEN STAYS QUEEN my fucking ass. Fuck outta here.

Bread

Banned
Same lol.

I honestly feel like they basically orchestrated that to pull Debbie from the game briefly to calm her down. Last episode was very uncomfortable so I can see them wanting to remove her for a bit without being all "Your mental issues are disrupting the game, you need to go home."
lol that's a good theory!

Devastated at Sandra's snuffed torch.

I was a middle schooler high on Russell fever back during Heroes vs. Villains, so I had a grudge against her for stealing Russell's surefire win.

But man. Seven years later, seeing her play again. Incredible. People can bitch about her bragging all they want - she's earned that bragging. A truly fantastic player. Queen.

legend166

It's funny, because I thought Sandra's initial plan of keeping winners around was her best chance. That got blown up when Tony got too paranoid, and I guess it wouldn't have survived tribe switches anyway.

llehuty

Hmmm, with this crappy weather and since I'm only staying in the states for a couple of days more, I think I'm going to try getting the CBS all access trial thing. I need you guys to recommend me one (and only one) season to binge watch this night.

Should be pre One World and not Cook islands. (The ones I haven't watched)

UberTag

Hmmm, with this crappy weather and since I'm only staying in the states for a couple of days more, I think I'm going to try getting the CBS all access trial thing. I need you guys to recommend me one (and only one) season to binge watch this night.

Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains

botty

Banned
While I've been enjoying this season, I must say that Sandra's vote off kind of highlights how the /twist/ of this season completely undermines the social aspect of the game. What is the point of 'grooming' an alliance when it's constantly fractured apart by production?

This season has only been fun because we watch heavy hitters battle it out. Now that they are all pretty much gone...All Oscar has to do now is make merge and he can protect himself all the way to the end.

Leeness

lol that's a good theory!

I think it's true! It could have gotten so uncomfortable to have a Very Special Survivor episode where they address mental health :/

While I've been enjoying this season, I must say that Sandra's vote off kind of highlights how the /twist/ of this season completely undermines the social aspect of the game. What is the point of 'grooming' an alliance when it's constantly fractured apart by production?

This season has only been fun because we watch heavy hitters battle it out. Now that they are all pretty much gone...All Oscar has to do now is make merge and he can protect himself all the way to the end.

I honestly think if Sandra had had one more day with that tribe, she would have worked them :( It sucks.

Might be too late, but I'd personally recommend season 2 (Australian Outback), season 14 (Fiji) or season 17 (Gabon).

Most people will just recommend Heroes vs. Villains and China (both of which are great) but I think the ones I mentioned are under appreciated gems (aside from 2 which is pretty popular.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom