• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 34: Game Changers |OT| We Have To Go Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

llehuty

Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains

I'll second this. Looking through the seasons before One World, the only other one I'd want to rewatch would be Palau (haven't seen 6-8).

Might be too late, but I'd personally recommend season 2 (Australian Outback), season 14 (Fiji) or season 17 (Gabon).

Most people will just recommend Heroes vs. Villains and China (both of which are great) but I think the ones I mentioned are under appreciated gems (aside from 2 which is pretty popular.)
Thanks for the recommendations. At the end, I think everyone was hogging the hotel's wifi and I couldn't stand all the buffering. Will keep it in mind to have a look in another situation.

Swig_

Thanks for the recommendations. At the end, I think everyone was hogging the hotel's wifi and I couldn't stand all the buffering. Will keep it in mind to have a look in another situation.

If you can ever watch old seasons, I would recommend Season 19, Samoa, especially before Heroes vs Villains. It was a really good season and sets you up for Heroes vs Villains.

I recently found that Amazon Prime, in the US at least, has all of the old seasons available for streaming. It's a great, and possibly the only way outside of buying DVDs, to watch old seasons.

Also, I travel for work and most hotel internet sucks unless it's non-standard (it was great in Hawaii, of all places) or you either pay for upgraded or have status with a chain to get free upgraded internet.

Man Survivor was aggravating with production stuff but then I watch Amazing Race and a dude freaking punches in a window of a challenge and doesn't get a penalty...
What the fuck.

goonie

I recently found that Amazon Prime, in the US at least, has all of the old seasons available for streaming. It's a great, and possibly the only way outside of buying DVDs, to watch old seasons.
Amazon doesn't have seasons 2 or 4-11 on Prime, for some reason. I'm working on watching all the seasons I haven't seen, so I had to sign up for CBS All Access.

I hate this season. Waaaaay too many swaps and twists. Just a bunch of dumb luck.

Plus all of the people I like are getting voted out.

Actually thinking I might stop :eek:

UberTag

Man Survivor was aggravating with production stuff but then I watch Amazing Race and a dude freaking punches in a window of a challenge and doesn't get a penalty...
What the fuck.
His junk was hurting him. Plus they probably felt he was better TV than the happy-go-lucky military girls whose every interaction had them gush about how much they liked each other.

well, that sucked.

at least the show gave her an exceptionally warm sendoff, despite making an unnecessarily massive part of her episode feature Cochran

goonie

Guys, I had to share this somewhere and none of my friends watch Survivor! I went to the open casting call in Florida today and there were some surprise guests! (Please note that these are NOT my angles and I was fangirling pretty hard)

UZhHwib.jpg

BlzO2If.jpg

OybzYeL.jpg

Carolyn (Mama C), Kimmi, and Tina were also there! Everyone was extremely sweet. They hung out with us in line and talked about their time on Survivor and tips for auditioning. Sandra had a whole group gathered around and was telling us behind the scenes stuff from the current season. It was a great experience. Just meeting all of them was worth the drive!

llehuty

So, at the end, I watched all the premerge from Season 19: Samoa while I was in the states, lol. (I believe CBS AllAccess only works if you have an US credit card, but, on the other hand, my french Amazon Prime subscription worked without problem for the US Amazon Prime).

So, some quick and dirty impressions. Taking as a reference the modern seasons, is surprising how the core of the show is exactly the same, although I was a bit surprised about the lack of polish of some of the edit and how the confessionals look and feel in this. The rest of the show remains the same, which is quite impressive.

The twist of the leader is kind of neat for the first challenge, but then is underused,and I don'teven know why they bothered with it.

Also, up until now, it's basically the Russel show, but I think they were kind of forced to do that with the rest of the cast being quite bland (from the edit). Specially the women, I only remember the names of Monica and Laura (She was voted out by her daughter!!). Shambo is an interesting character,and I'm surprised I've never heard anyone drop her name in some of the extensive previous season discussions (including the ballot for Second Chances, iirc). Also,isthe Kelly in the purple tribe, the infamous Purple KellyIhave read about?

It's still very entertaining, despite the uneven characters. Looking forward the merge dynamics.

Guys, I had to share this somewhere and none of my friends watch Survivor! I went to the open casting call in Florida today and there were some surprise guests!
Awesome, how was the audition? Will we see you on the screen as you become Cochran 2.0? :p

Also, up until now, it's basically the Russel show, but I think they were kind of forced to do that with the rest of the cast being quite bland (from the edit). Specially the women, I only remember the names of Monica and Laura (She was voted out by her daughter!!). Shambo is an interesting character,and I'm surprised I've never heard anyone drop her name in some of the extensive previous season discussions (including the ballot for Second Chances, iirc). Also,isthe Kelly in the purple tribe, the infamous Purple KellyIhave read about?

Samoa is a good example (the best?) of why winners win and losers lose, so it's a good season for instructive purposes. I did NOT enjoy it at the time and despite fans having warmed up to it, I've never found it a particularly enjoyable season. Not many characters I enjoyed watching, and it typified the absolute worst editing trend of obsessively focusing on a tiny handful of players for the entirety of the season. Good winner, though.

Purple Kelly refers to Kelly Shin(n) (? forgot how her name was spelled) from Survivor: Nicaragua, a few seasons later. They called her that because she had purple highlights in her hair and there were two Kellys that season. "Purple _____" has since become an in-joke to refer to casting flops or boring nothingburger players.

Ganhyun

What the fuck.

Having been in a harness before, if/when that happens it fucking hurts. I do think he went a bit overboard on it and lost his cool, which seems to be a thing for him. He is one of those if its not going my way then Im upset and will make sure everyone around me knows it type of people.

His junk was hurting him. Plus they probably felt he was better TV than the happy-go-lucky military girls whose every interaction had them gush about how much they liked each other.

Well, other than their first day drama at the start, they got along famously it seems.

Also, this makes me want to ask, is there a thread for this year's Amazing Race? My search skills suck.

goonie

Awesome, how was the audition? Will we see you on the screen as you become Cochran 2.0? :p
Lol, probably not any time soon, but it went well enough! The audition was just "you have one minute in front of the camera, talk about yourself." I had the camera guy laughing a little, but I don't think I'll be able to stick out over everyone else. I'll keep trying, though. One day!

_Nemo

Guys, I had to share this somewhere and none of my friends watch Survivor! I went to the open casting call in Florida today and there were some surprise guests! (Please note that these are NOT my angles and I was fangirling pretty hard)

Carolyn (Mama C), Kimmi, and Tina were also there! Everyone was extremely sweet. They hung out with us in line and talked about their time on Survivor and tips for auditioning. Sandra had a whole group gathered around and was telling us behind the scenes stuff from the current season. It was a great experience. Just meeting all of them was worth the drive!

That's awesome man. I wish I could apply, too bad I'm stuck in Canada lol.

Bread

Banned
Samoa is the what got me back into Survivor after having stopped watching at season 3. Russell was so fun to watch for his first two seasons because no one knew what he was about, but his style obviously wasn't going to work the third time around. Samoa and HvV are pretty much my two favorites.

Holy shit, just listening to the Dom and Colin Podcast and wow apparently they eventually did eat those goats going by some of JT and Sandra's exit interviews.
and they ate the baby one first...

Catvoca

Banned
Holy shit, just listening to the Dom and Colin Podcast and wow apparently they eventually did eat those goats going by some of JT and Sandra's exit interviews.
and they ate the baby one first...

Yeah, Sandra says when she got to the new tribe JT already had traps up to catch the goats and they ate them (baby first) the day after catching them. Pretty lame edit if true, I guess they didn't want any animal rights people getting mad.

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2017/04/survivor-game-changers-baby-goat/

Catvoca

Banned
Very nervous about tonight's episode. Spoilers for a non-game related thing that happens.

Apparently Varner outs Zeke as transgender on the show in an attempt to make him look "deceitful". I hope Survivor handles this ok.....

Catvoca

Banned
This sounds ASS-level ugly. This whole season feels a lot like ASS.

Seriously. Hoping it's not as bad as twitter buzz is making it sound but god, what the fuck. The way
Varner
has spoken or alluded to it makes me think it's going to be ugly as fuck.

^ if true, that will be a very very major stain on him personally and professionally for the rest of his life

people have been ruined from their reality tv appearances before

Catvoca

Banned
^ if true, that will be a very very major stain on him personally and professionally for the rest of his life

people have been ruined from their reality tv appearances before

Yeah, he's already getting out in front of it.

We'll see what the episode is like. I don't want to hate on someone before I've seen what happens myself. The quotes from
the interview with Zeke
that are out there though, make me think that regardless of how the episode deals with this,
Varner
did a very shitty thing.

UberTag

I adore Cirie... but she was the wrong person to give that post-challenge confessional.
Nobody wants to hear how taxing the game has been from the sole person to avoid tribal council through 17 days in the game.

bgbball31

Varner with one of the lowest moments in survivor history. Holy crap, dude. It's gotten personal before, but not quite like that IIRC.

I hope CBS asked Zeke before this aired to make sure that was OK to air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom