• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 34: Game Changers |OT| We Have To Go Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Wait, was Zeke being transgendered revealed earlier? I've only been halfwatching, but how did Jeff find out?
Zeke has surgical scars on his chest that are a tell if you know enough about trans people. Some people online spotted them last season (thanks HD!) and figured it out alongside some web searches, but it never blew up intio a big deal because pretty much the entire Survivor internet had enough tact not to make it one.

Zeke has surgical scars on his chest that are a tell if you know enough about trans people. Some people online spotted them last season (thanks HD!) and figured it out alongside some web searches, but it never blew up intio a big deal because pretty much the entire Survivor internet had enough tact not to make it one.

Ah I see, thanks. Thought I missed something in the show, but apparently not!

A lot of former survivors on Twitter are bringing up a good point.

Varner chose to reveal this to about 6 other people. CBS are the ones who chose to reveal this to millions.

They could have easily have done some editing and then went right to the vote.

Between this and the whole metamorphosis thing, I'm getting a carny shenanigan vibe about the whole episode.

It was also strange how hard they were pushing Ozzy getting voted out. How Sandra immediately believed Varner when he told her about Zeke lying to them and secretly working with Ozzy. It felt incredibly manufactured. This entire season has felt manipulated as hell compared to past seasons from my recollection.

Bubble

Neo Member
I'm not sure what Varner was even thinking when he outed Zeke. Like, his reasoning has zero logic behind it. He thought Zeke was out to his tribe-mates, so why even bring that up in the first place? I'm just baffled by Varner and his entire thought process. Good on Probst for calling out his inconsistencies.

This entire situation reminded me a lot of what happened with Sue during All-Stars. Biggest difference is that in Game Changers, everyone (Zeke, Nuku and Probst) dealt with it in a good manner. Unlike in All-Stars, where a lot of people were more then happy to celebrate that Sue was gone. I remember Big Tom (fucking asshole) singing "Ding dong, the witch is dead" when she left.

A lot of former survivors on Twitter are bringing up a good point.

Varner chose to reveal this to about 6 other people. CBS are the ones who chose to reveal this to millions.

They could have easily have done some editing and then went right to the vote.

Between this and the whole metamorphosis thing, I'm getting a carny shenanigan vibe about the whole episode.

I'm sure they got Zeke's approval, it was also a huge thing at Tribal, It'd be a little hard to go around it when they didn't even go to a vote.

CBS hadn't said anything about it for a season and a half, it's kind of weird to put this on CBS when it'd be hard to move around it.

_Nemo

Just rewatched the episode and now paid more attention to Varner's words right before Tribal.

"There's something about Zeke nobody knows. It's insignificant to this game, it means nothing, but this is not the guy you think he is. There's something else here."

Scary how he actually premeditated all of this rather than it being an impulsive lapse of judgement. Absolutely horrifying.

Catvoca

Banned
That was about as rough as I expected. I can't believe Varner would do that. He was one of my favourite competitors before this too. Props to Zeke for handling it well and trying to turn it into something positive. And great job by the whole tribe actually. Survivor sometimes attracts more conservative types so it was cool to see the whole tribe erupt immediately after Varner did that, and support Zeke.

DeviantBoi

CBS could have maybe edited it out of the show, but I think this was a teachable moment on many levels.

It's good to bring up these issues and discuss them in a setting that's familiar for viewers and with people you know and are fond of. Probst did a great job in handling the discussion.

Just rewatched the episode and now paid more attention to Varner's words right before Tribal.

"There's something about Zeke nobody knows. It's insignificant to this game, it means nothing, but this is not the guy you think he is. There's something else here."

Scary how he actually premeditated all of this rather than it being an impulsive lapse of judgement. Absolutely horrifying.

That was obvious even at Tribal. He planned it out and was gearing up to reveal it. He talked about there being levels of deception they don't know about and then looked at Zeke before doing it. Not a damn part of it was spur of the moment.

CBS could have maybe edited it out of the show, but I think this was a teachable moment on many levels.

It's good to bring up these issues and discuss them in a setting that's familiar for viewers and with people you know and are fond of. Probst did a great job in handling the discussion.

I feel like it's insane to think they could have edited around it. It was all Tribal consisted of. How the hell do you as a player let that play out and then immediately try to go to talking about strategy and try to bring other reasons up for him to go. It was all tribal was about and didn't even result in a vote. I fell like saying it could be edited around are lessening what the hell happened.

I question how Zeke can even get back in a head space of the game after this. How does the rest of the tribe now look at Zeke in regards to the game? This could have a lot of effects on the game from this point on and they're things that could not even be edited in because a lot of it is probably mental stuff that no one wants to even talk about.

bill0527

I'm sure they got Zeke's approval, it was also a huge thing at Tribal, It'd be a little hard to go around it when they didn't even go to a vote.

CBS hadn't said anything about it for a season and a half, it's kind of weird to put this on CBS when it'd be hard to move around it.

I'm not sure what the editing process entails but a lot of former Survivors were saying it could easily have been edited out and Jeff could have handled it on the fly. You can cut out that whole exchange, Jeff makes a few comments, and then calls for the vote. These aren't newbies running this show, they've all been doing it a very long time.

Koomaster

This was one of my issues as well and what I was complaining about to my friend who was watching with me. This wasn't just a spur of the moment; 'Oh shit I'm in trouble, fuck what do I say to get out of this' thing that just happened. That alone would have been horrible. But Varner actually planned this out beforehand. There was time to come up with this plan and then realize what a horrible horrible idea it was and forget about it.

I think there probably could have been an edit to where there was basically no discussion and Jeff going like; 'You all know who you're voting for, no discussion.' like what happened at the end and then just no vote. But I think it would have been very bizarre to see and viewers would most definitely question it. Maybe there was other footage before that was edited out that could have played, but there are very few moments where there is just no vote. Even when it's obvious who is going they vote.

And like you said teachable moment in a familiar setting. From what I have seen on twitter, most fan response to Zeke has been very positive and even those who don't understand the issues fully realizing what Varner did was a scummy move based on the episode. Everyone seems shocked and upset this happened.

I'm not sure what the editing process entails but a lot of former Survivors were saying it could easily have been edited out and Jeff could have handled it on the fly. You can cut out that whole exchange, Jeff makes a few comments, and then calls for the vote. These aren't newbies running this show, they've all been doing it a very long time.

Again though, it's assuming Zeke wasn't okay with it, that the players wanted to go about the rest of tribal as if it was a normal go.

It just seems weird saying CBS could have not shown it and all would have been good. Yeah, maybe they could have but that's going on a lot of assumptions and who the hell knows how this goes on to effect the next episode let alone the rest of the season.

Zeke handled it amazingly at tribal but does he freak out a bit and start breaking down about it back at camp where he has nothing to do but think about it?

I just feel like saying "CBS could have edited it out." is boiling it down to just the most smallest things and it's almost belittling it too much. It's like its trying to put it back on CBS rather than Varner or the situation or ignoring Zeke's thoughts on it entirely.

jett

D-Member
That was really fucked of Varner. Why would you do that. And he's gay too, shouldn't he know first-hand how wrong that is?

I had no idea Zeke was trans myself.

Did Zeke tell Varner that he was trans or was it something that Varner figured out on his own?

I've been wondering this as well, cause apparently this is something the Survivor Subreddit and Survivor Sucks knew about from before Zeke's first season and people outed around there? I was completely unaware of it, but it made me wonder if it was something Varner was told or not because that'd make it even more fucked up.

Koomaster

If you listen to Varner's Day After video, he deduced it on his own:

http://d.pr/v/lp0z
Watching this, I can sort of see his thought process at the very least. Seasons filmed back to back so he didn't know what Zeke did on his season and tried to figure out how he was a 'game changer'. Still doesn't 100% excuse what Varner did. I just don't get why not pull Zeke away from the cameras and be like; 'Is this why you're a game changer? Did you come out on your season?' as like a friendly convo before just outing him at tribal.

But again the fact that he's using Zeke being transgender as evidence he's deceitful and framing it as why haven't you told your tribe. Disgusting. And even if he thought he wasn't outing Zeke to the viewers at home; it was obvious he was trying to out Zeke to the tribe. Not Varner's right nor business to be doing that.

Macka

That statement is bullshit. He knew that nobody knew because his exact words to Zeke were "why haven't you told them that you're transgender?"
Varner said later in the Tribal that he assumed Zeke was out in his personal life. He thought he was only revealing a 'deception' to the tribe.

Despicable either way, but I think that's what he means by saying that he thought everyone knew.

ultron87

His thinking was that Zeke was keeping it secret in the same way someone might keep their real life profession a secret for strategic reasons. So, before he said it, his question was equivalent in his head to saying "why haven't you told people you're a cop?"

I can't believe he didn't realize the other way it could all be taken, regardless of whether or not Zeke was out in his personal life/from his previous season. Conflating being transgender with being deceptive is just uuugggghhhh.

MSMrRound

If Varner had any decency he shouldn't even show up at the Reunion show after what he did. That was goddamn awful to watch.

If Varner had any decency he shouldn't even show up at the Reunion show after what he did. That was goddamn awful to watch.

I feel like that would more be seen as being a coward and not being able to face the music for what he did. He should show up and just say he apologized profusely and not try to excuse it.

flyover

He seems like someone who can't stop explaining himself ad infinitum. He'll be there and will be more than happy to try and take up all the valuable time that would usually go to Probst going into the audience to interview Cochran or Terry Bradshaw or some scared shitless kid who's a big fan of one of the cast members. Either way, we lose. The reunion shows are always bad; this one could be unbearable.

Jigorath

Banned
Jesus Christ, Varner.

What was his game plan there anyways?

"Hey guys, did you know Zeke is transgender? Now let's vote out Ozzy."

Jesus Christ, Varner.

Yeah, even the absolute best possible scenario in his head would have been to out a trans person and use it to get someone else out. As a different result what get Zeke voted out because he's trans?

Even getting past what he did the thought process of it never makes any sense.

Macka

Jesus Christ, Varner.

Yeah, it just makes no sense whatsoever. He wasn't even targeting Zeke.

I don't think Varner handles the elements/hunger/sleep deprivation well. Remember in Cambodia where he was making signs to the other tribe and Tasha called him out? Apparently that was like 10% of what actually happened, and he had a major freak out. Later he said that it was all a blur and he couldn't even remember what had happened.

Yeah, it just makes no sense whatsoever. He wasn't even targeting Zeke.

In the end credits (when the usually show the vote) he straight up gave a "WTF was I thinking?" apology that seemed pretty raw and honest. So I'm willing to believe the theory on not handling the elements well, even though it can never excuse his behavior.

I have seen a lot of cringe-y television, but this had to be one of the most cringe-y things I have ever seen. Cant tell if this episode was a job or not but it was certainly uncomfortable.

belushy

Banned
In the end credits (when the usually show the vote) he straight up gave a "WTF was I thinking?" apology that seemed pretty raw and honest. So I'm willing to believe the theory on not handling the elements well, even though it can never excuse his behavior.

From articles it seems he was pretty depressed after this so hopefully he learned his lesson. Don't think he is an overall bad dude, just made an absolutely boneheaded decision that he will hopefully never do again.

Seeing Varner's follow-up, I at least get why he would think Zeke was out at home and to the audience (from his previous season). He was paranoid about Zeke pulling a Russel Hantz; acting one way on the previous season and the hiding it on a subsequent all stars season (since the Game Changers cast hadn't seen the previous season). Everyone on Heroes Vs Villians bitched about how their resumes were known, but Russell had this huge advantage of being an unknown quantity.

So Varner was wondering why this guy was on Game Changers and jumped to the conclusion "oh, he's the trans Survivor, that's why he was invited back, and I'm the only one to figure it out, I'll blow up his game!" Which, of course, is something you can't assume and then blurt out.

So I don't think this was cruel or malicious. Rather, a really terrible lapse in judgment from a desperate reality show fame whore. And he has been contrite and devastated by what he did, so I hope he learns from this and tries to turn it into a positive.

I actually think that some of the misogynistic bullying on One World was worse because it was done by bigots with malicious intent. Same for the religious manipulation on South Pacific, or Ben's racist mocking on Samoa. Who can forget Jaison putting the game aside and threatening to quit if they didn't vote out their "ally" Ben? Or Shirin refusing to let Will get his letters? At least Varner apologized for crossing the line and assaulting others, Ben, Will, and Dan never apologized for anything.

Edit: One World is the wrong season,I was thinking of the White Vs Red Vs Blue Collars season. Although One World did have Coloton's unapologetic racist statements, so throw that in too.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Varner did something really despicable.

But you can kind of understand that under all of the stress of the game, cameras, starvation, dehydration, exhaustion, etc - that you probably aren't thinking right.

You can't give him a pass because of that, but you can understand it a bit if you think he wasn't firing on all cylinders mentally at that point.

All that said, the moments where he is plotting it with a gleam in his eye like it's a big gotcha are what bother me the most.

satriales

Varner did something really despicable.

But you can kind of understand that under all of the stress of the game, cameras, starvation, dehydration, exhaustion, etc - that you probably aren't thinking right.

You can't give him a pass because of that, but you can understand it a bit if you think he wasn't firing on all cylinders mentally at that point.

All that said, the moments where he is plotting it with a gleam in his eye like it's a big gotcha are what bother me the most.

His reasoning actually makes perfect sense, and shows that he was thinking straight, but he just didn't consider the consequences of being wrong in his assumption that the audience already knew Zeke was transgender from the previous seasons (which he hadn't seen).

It's a huge error on his part and even if he had been right it was a stupid play to be making, but I feel his intentions weren't as bad as they appear.

Catvoca

Banned
I think some of you guys are going easy on Varner. He's still saying shit like "I hope he can eventually grow to a place where he can comfortably be not only his authentic self..." like Zeke isn't already his authentic self as a fun loving gay dude. In the Preseason he was saying his favourite survivor moment hadn't aired yet, referring to this tribal council too. I don't know, he obviously has some remorse and realised what he did was bad but I don't think he fully gets what a fucking asshole he was.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
His reasoning actually makes perfect sense, and shows that he was thinking straight, but he just didn't consider the consequences of being wrong in his assumption that the audience already knew Zeke was transgender from the previous seasons (which he hadn't seen).

It's a huge error on his part and even if he had been right it was a stupid play to be making, but I feel his intentions weren't as bad as they appear.

yeah, I think though the guy obviously knows better, and if he was clear headed he would've challenged that assumption.

I also don't understand why he didn't ask Zeke privately about it prior. He didn't even have to bring up his scheme, but he could've gotten more info before deciding to drop that bomb.

BunnyBear

I have seen a lot of cringe-y television, but this had to be one of the most cringe-y things I have ever seen. Cant tell if this episode was a job or not but it was certainly uncomfortable.

Agreed. I could barely watch, it was brutal.

Fuck CBS for airing it. I think it achieved more harm than good but I realise I'm probably in the minority there.

I was rooting for Varner the entire season, for him to finally make that merge. Then he goes and pulls one of the most despicable acts in Survivor history. Gets his ass taken right out without even voting. One episode away from the merge.

Poetry. Adios!

Fuck CBS for airing it. I think it achieved more harm than good but I realise I'm probably in the minority there.
Zeke took it in stride and said it may be a good thing and it could inspire others nationwide, how can anyone want any of this censored after that?

I love Survivor as a game but I also love when it gets real and raw and emotional.

I think some of you guys are going easy on Varner. He's still saying shit like "I hope he can eventually grow to a place where he can comfortably be not only his authentic self..." like Zeke isn't already his authentic self as a fun loving gay dude. In the Preseason he was saying his favourite survivor moment hadn't aired yet, referring to this tribal council too. I don't know, he obviously has some remorse and realised what he did was bad but I don't think he fully gets what a fucking asshole he was.

Yeah, he definitely doesn't get it.

And every "apology" he has given has fallen well short of meeting any sort of acceptable standard in my mind.

Jigorath

Banned
Agreed. I could barely watch, it was brutal.

The incident would have come out regardless in interviews, and CBS would not have looked good for trying to sweep it under the rug. At least this way they were able to work with Zeke and GLAAD to try and handle the situation as delicately as possible.

Macka

Where did he say he was referring to this Tribal Council?

Going to put that choice of words down to foot in mouth as well. As much as I can understand why people want to condemn him for this...he's human too. Apparently he's been tearing himself apart for the last ten months over this, was suicidal and CBS needed to hire a shrink to try and help him. And I can only imagine how hard the last 48 hours have been, doing interview after interview about this coupled with all of the social media backlash.

He did a terrible thing, but I don't think he's a monster.

I've been wondering this as well, cause apparently this is something the Survivor Subreddit and Survivor Sucks knew about from before Zeke's first season and people outed around there? I was completely unaware of it, but it made me wonder if it was something Varner was told or not because that'd make it even more fucked up.

I think it was even posted on Gaf last season? I don't go to the survivor sub-reddits and I know I read it somewhere last season and was surprised it wasn't made into a story during the season

I think it was even posted on Gaf last season? I don't go to the survivor sub-reddits and I know I read it somewhere last season and was surprised it wasn't made into a story during the season
I remember someone mentioned the trans rumors here last season, but I don't remember any evidence behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom