• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 34: Game Changers |OT| We Have To Go Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
eh, I've always felt there was a bright line distinction between analyzing the number of seconds/frames a particular player is on the screen, which I find exceptionally weird, and things like the "post-immunity death confessional", which have become a meme of sorts in the fandom to the point where the editors will acknowledge it with a wink and a nod. It's decidedly different than spoiler talk (which I also don't really mind provided it's tagged, although I'm probably in the minority).

I watched the first two eps last night and honestly it was pretty good, but as with the last few seasons they seem to be baiting talking about the show's premise from the players for confessionals because I feel like I heard variations on "game changer" a lot, much like the unending "millennials think this way and gen x-ers think that way" from last season. I'm not quite sure Sandra's antics are her downfall just because most of the players are fans and likely know she's prone to yelling about her queendom, so it's expected. They're pretty clearly trying to remove the unpredictable elements from the game first.

I genuinely do not understand why several of the people are there given the premise, but whatever, I've learned to deal with it.

eh, I've always felt there was a bright line distinction between analyzing the number of seconds/frames a particular player is on the screen, which I find exceptionally weird, and things like the "post-immunity death confessional", which have become a meme of sorts in the fandom to the point where the editors will acknowledge it with a wink and a nod. It's decidedly different than spoiler talk (which I also don't really mind provided it's tagged, although I'm probably in the minority).

I watched the first two eps last night and honestly it was pretty good, but as with the last few seasons they seem to be baiting talking about the show's premise from the players for confessionals because I feel like I heard variations on "game changer" a lot, much like the unending "millennials think this way and gen x-ers think that way" from last season. I'm not quite sure Sandra's antics are her downfall just because most of the players are fans and likely know she's prone to yelling about her queendom, so it's expected. They're pretty clearly trying to remove the unpredictable elements from the game first.

I genuinely do not understand why several of the people are there given the premise, but whatever, I've learned to deal with it.

I think it's a case of the producers wanting those confessionals and the people who are doing it know it's what they need to do to get more air time. Zeke, for instance, knows exactly what he's doing.

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't care about the theme of each Survivor season. Do I really care that some of these people aren't "game changers"? Not really. I just think of it as a season full of returning players.

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't care about the theme of each Survivor season. Do I really care that some of these people aren't "game changers"? Not really. I just think of it as a season full of returning players.

I think most people don't care all that much. Most themes might matter for the initial tribe set-up and be almost completely forgotten by the first swap. They generally get the players they want, figure out a theme and then fill it out as best they can.

I do think I the themes and cast divisions they come up with can be funny though. The age-old "Why is Candice a hero?" comes to mind.

I think most people don't care all that much. Most themes might matter for the initial tribe set-up and be almost completely forgotten by the first swap. They generally get the players they want, figure out a theme and then fill it out as best they can.

Actually living up to the context is hard because Survivor's game and psychology team are so quick to make changes, whether it be for appeal or to break up deadlocks.

To really nail a theme like Society Game did, you need players that can commit to the theme, and honestly the best way to do that is to ensure the theme lasts longer: no tribe switches, larger cast (like in Australian Survivor) and a focus on survival. I mean, maybe these game changers are starving but the TV cut is so uninterested in the idea that skipping out on a goat doesn't seem to mean much.

That being said, they need a theme, because "All Stars 2" is not something they want to market.

The only problem is people see that as edgic talk.
Its weird because this seemingly came from nowhere, there was always edit talk on Gaf and I was only away from the Gaf threads for two maybe 3 seasons and now its frowned upon.
Though the heavy technical side was never deep here, it was just oh "_____ getting that winner's edit" any time someone was shown that much better than others.

Of what I remember Boston Rob probably had the strongest edit of all.

Its weird because this seemingly came from nowhere, there was always edit talk on Gaf and I was only away from the Gaf threads for two maybe 3 seasons and now its frowned upon.
Though the heavy technical side was never deep here, it was just oh "_____ getting that winner's edit" any time someone was shown that much better than others.

Of what I remember Boston Rob probably had the strongest edit of all.

It's mainly because the Koah Rong season burned people. Half the people saw one winners edit and the other half saw a different winners edit. By the end everyone was mad either by ruining the season by being right or people being wrong and them not liking the winner. Koah Rong kind of killed edit talk.

xfactor99

^ Which is silly, because speaking as someone who's been in the online Survivor fanbase since 2003, there was a long-running joke that Edgic managed to pick the winner of every spoiled season and fail every time the season wasn't spoiled.

If you look at the 'contenders' section at the end of each of these charts, it shows you what the consensus 'winner pick' was at the point of each season. Look at how Mick and Russell were the favorites going into the Samoa finale:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/Warrior25/Edgic Chart 2/RC-S-19-Ep14.gif

Look at how Tony was not even in contention going into the Cagayan finale:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...28RatingChart Episode14-Final_zpsi8ikwknp.gif

Or last season, which epically failed at predicting an Adam victory:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/Warrior25/Edgic Charts 3/S-33RatingsEP-14-B_zps4amzbhv2.gif

Other blunders include predicting an Amanda victory going into the China finale and Stephen over JT going into Tocantins.

They did predict winners like Boston Rob, Kim, and Mike, but those were extremely obvious. The Edgic hivemind did get the Michele pick right, which seems to have inspired a lot of backlash but really it was a bit of broken clock is right twice a day type of thing.

BunnyBear

I actually liked the goat stuff. It is nice to have non-strategy scenes, and of course it is Sandra who wants to kill the goat. You'd think she killed enough goats after all the times she has played.

Got to say that Brad is killing it so far. The way he handled Tai before the vote was very well done and shows that he got game. I also love how he brings up Monica. Do it for Monica.

Caleb being out is amazing. Never got the hype around in Kaoh Rong and certainly not on Game Changers. So far, 2/3 boots have been excellent. The only loss so far is Tony.

Hype about Caleb? Since when. He got asked back because of the circumstances of his exit in 32.

Man YouTube continued suggesting Survivor soundtracks to me so I finally started listening to them again,
Man they really don't get enough love.

The music (Ancient Voices, the theme song, in particular) is a huge draw for many, I think. I wish they would air the full intro with each episode in modern seasons.

For similar reasons to Ancient Voices, I really like the theme song to Civilization 4. So good.

And back on topic, this extended China intro is badass in case you missed it.

J-Rod

Sandra came off as a complete psychopath with the goat thing. I'm from a rural area where a lot of people love to shoot and kill things, but never in a million years would any kill a mother with babies even when they are complete pests like possums or raccoons. It's just something you don't do. If it was life or death then sure, but they have four chickens right there.

Sandra came off as a complete psychopath with the goat thing. I'm from a rural area where a lot of people love to shoot and kill things, but never in a million years would any kill a mother with babies even when they are complete pests like possums or raccoons. It's just something you don't do. If it was life or death then sure, but they have four chickens right there.

Hard to say how the rest of the tribe will handle her in regard to this if it comes to them losing immunity. She's an excellent shield to carry into the merge, and it seems like this is a strategy Malcolm is currently employing well. But if she weren't a two time winner, her bossiness and attitude (this season) would definitely have her on seriously thin ice.

The music (Ancient Voices, the theme song, in particular) is a huge draw for many, I think. I wish they would air the full intro with each episode in modern seasons.

For similar reasons to Ancient Voices, I really like the theme song to Civilization 4. So good.

And back on topic, this extended China intro is badass in case you missed it.

Yeah China's is great for just how different it is.
love it, probably my favorite unique one. Australian Outback and HvV probably my favorite more typical themes

But mainly the themes always get love but other stuff like "Tally The Votes" is underappreciated, among other little tracks here and there.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Finally caught up over the weekend. Sucks to see Tony go early but he was already acting crazy. Really not a fan of Sandra.

llehuty

And that's why I unfollow every single Survivor social media before a season begins. You know they are going to fuck up sooner or later, like when they upload ponderosa videos before time.

I think they are going to get a big backlash for this twist. it smacks of a big brotherish making up the rules as they go along, and seems pretty unfair too.

They've been doing it for a long-ass time, sadly. I was one of the ones that felt the Thailand "twist" wasn't really fair to the players even if it made for a cute moment with Jeff & Shii Ann. The Outcast tribe was more controversial and imo with good reason.

Nowadays we have an unknown number of idols in the game at any given time, secret random superpowers that only the wielder knows about, and constant fudging with the one-vote-per-tribal tradition that has slowly turned the game into the "new twist every week!" festival that BB became. Idk how the old crowd seems to handle it so well. It got to a point in BB where it just wasn't entertaining because the game ended up revolving around the mechanics rather than the players.

Soroc

Caleb Reynolds - Survivor: Kaoh Rong. Former Big Brother contestant who came into Survivor as a member of the beauty tribe. Was medically evacuated in a fourth wall breaking episode where he almost died from overexertion in extreme elements. Never attended a tribal council.

Anyone know what episode of Kaoh Rong this happened in? I'd love to see this episode.

Twist talk:
Sounds to me like they wanted an early way to try and force a tie? Sounds stupid and completely changes the scope of the strategy at this point. You may as well take someone out by random draw but give a third of the people immunity. It's dumb.

Anyone know what episode of Kaoh Rong this happened in? I'd love to see this episode.

Ep 3 I think.

Caleb is not creepy on Survivor, he's inoffensively bland with a bromance with a little old gay man as his defining trait lol
The BB episodes treated him fairly well, too. It was mostly live feeds where his creepiest came out.

I found it funny when he was sort of complaining that the GC edit didn't show enough of his strategy. You won't find a lot of people have benefitted more from one note, overly positive edits than Caleb has across three seasons on CBS shows. He would have come across much worse if they had showed him refusing to game talk with half his tribe before tribal.

Frankly, this comp was the best time to blew a lead, because that 2nd place reward sucked anyway.

The first place one wasnt all that great either. Is Survivor on a budget or what

EDIT: Remember when survivor used to whore itself out to phone companies. Let's see some loved ones on the new upcoming blackberry phone.

UberTag

Troyzan has all the horseshoes in the world.
Varner continues to be a challenge goat.
And the Mana tribe continues to be embarrassing at challenges.

And this latest twist sort of sucks.

There's enough of a margin of error that I'd be leery of using the idol, but with the editing on this show, who knows how well-founded this concern is. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom