• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 1st year is killing my wallet

phanphare

Banned
and almost all of those games are already on the PS4 and have been for some time. It's a decent launch lineup due to Zelda being so awesome. But most of those other highly reviewed games are old news if you have any other systems.

it was the same story with PS4 too minus having a game like BotW at or near launch

and almost all of those games are already on the PS4 and have been for some time. It's a decent launch lineup due to Zelda being so awesome. But most of those other highly reviewed games are old news if you have any other systems.

9 of those 16 80+ games are not available (yet) on PS4. This includes Afterbirth + and Specter of Torment. Of the other 7 the only one which I'd say has been on the PS4 for "some time" is World of Goo.

And none of the 90+ games are.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
9 of those 16 80+ games are not available (yet) on PS4. This includes Afterbirth + and Specter of Torment. Of the other 7 the only one which I'd say has been on the PS4 for "some time" is World of Goo.

I count 8.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth +
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
VOEZ
Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!
Fast RMX
ACA NeoGeo: The King of Fighters '98

Turrican3

But most of those other highly reviewed games are old news if you have any other systems.
You have a point of course... BUT I believe being able to play them on the go could make people see things in a completely different way: what if Average Joe only has a home platform but enjoys the fact he can now use game XYZ "old" game not only at home but basically everywhere?

I count 8.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth +
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
VOEZ
Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!
Fast RMX
ACA NeoGeo: The King of Fighters '98

Minecraft Switch edition has a load of Nintendo content, though I guess that's debatable.

Also was not aware the PS4 didn't have the King of Fighters yet, and I may have counted both Shovel Knight Treasure Trove and Specter of Torment since both technically aren't on PS4 yet.

Either way Metacritic is not the best way to determine launch quality/quantity, but what the poster I responded to said was very misleading anyway.

MisterR

Technically correct, but that's just based on some DLC that's going to be on the PS4 shortly, for games that have been on the PS4 for a decent amount of time. Mario Kart is a Wii U port. It's not a bad lineup, but it's easier to stack all these metacritic numbers when you're getting a lot of highly regarded ports that are on the other consoles. I would say what you're claiming is very misleading. Counting DLC's and added on content as games. I guess Reggie was right about Arkham City not being the same game?

Technically correct, but that's just based on some DLC that's going to be on the PS4 shortly, for games that have been on the PS4 for a decent amount of time. Mario Kart is a Wii U port. It's not a bad lineup, but it's easier to stack all these metacritic numbers when you're getting a lot of highly regarded ports that are on the other consoles.

Yeah, I can't disagree with that. It's just a bit disingenuous to classify the lineup as mostly old ports when there are actually very, very few examples of straight ports that are more than a few months old.

EDIT:
I would say what you're claiming is very misleading. Counting DLC's and added on content as games. I guess Reggie was right about Arkham City not being the same game?

I mean, let's look at the few examples of DLC games on that list. Shovel Knight gives you a whole extra campaign which is also a standalone purchase. That isn't on the PS4 yet. Binding of Isaac Afterbith + includes two separate expansions over Rebirth adding dozens of new items, modes and characters. It's only available on Switch and PC right now. I'm willing to concede Minecraft Switch Edition since I don't really know the extent of the Nintendo content in that.

But that's 3 "DLC" games on a list of 16. That still leaves 7 which are completely new games not on the PS4, when you initially claimed "almost all of them" have been on PS4 for "some time".

Switch got a lot of flack for the lack of games at launch (still do) which is really weird since it's been releasing good games at a solid pace. 3-5 new games each week. I can dig that for sure. It lacked physical games (some games like I am setsuna should really have had a world wide launch physical) but it's spawned a lot of digital games.

I remember PS4 launch.. wasnt there like 3-4 games for the entire January and something similar for february? In April though the floodgates opened and never really stopped. That was like the Wii U launch but the games actually never came to that system :p

As for spending on the Switch I have so far spent ~1000$ on my system which includes 4 Joycons, Pro Controller, 5 physical games and 3 digital games.

I spent a bit more than that total for my PS4 but I have only bought 1 full price PS4 game yet (Last Guardian) and the rest either came with my bundle or when they dropped in price.

spekkeh

Banned
Almost all of the good PS4 launch games had already been out for PS3, and for a long time as well. Switch's launch easily runs circles around PS4's and XB1's imo, which admittedly is a very low bar to pass. They had to rely on games like Flower, which was three years old at the time, to provide value. As far as other console launches go it's decent to good.
Now of course everyone who says Switch has a better library than PS4 right now is mental.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Almost all of the good PS4 launch games had already been out for PS3, and for a long time as well. Switch's launch easily runs circles around PS4's and XB1's imo, which admittedly is a very low bar to pass. They had to rely on games like Flower, which was three years old at the time, to provide value. As far as other console launches go it's decent to good.
Now of course everyone who says Switch has a better library than PS4 right now is mental.

I guess the difference is that, during the PS4 launch, you knew that so many amazing games were coming in short order. We just don't have any insight into what, if anything, is coming for the switch outside of a handful of titles. E3 soon though.

Gator86

Not arguing that the PS4/Xbone launches were amazing, because they weren't, but a lot of this stuff is revisionist history. For example, BF4 was the first 64 player version EVER on consoles. That was huge. It was basically the first Battlefield game without compromises that non-PC players got to experience. It's not analogous to a late port or something like that. It's a completely different experience.

phanphare

Banned
I guess the difference is that, during the PS4 launch, you knew that so many amazing games were coming in short order. We just don't have any insight into what, if anything, is coming for the switch outside of a handful of titles. E3 soon though.

this seems like a revisionist history of the PS4's first year or two tbh

plus the Switch's release schedule has been great already and will continue to be great through the end of 2017 and into 2018 if a certain JRPG gets pushed out of this year. and like you said E3 hasn't happened yet.

weird post

commish

plus the Switch's release schedule has been great already and will continue to be great through the end of 2017 and into 2018 if a certain JRPG gets pushed out of this year. and like you said E3 hasn't happened yet.

weird post

Eh, not really. You knew that all third parties would release their biggest and best games on the PS4. You knew that the moment PS4 was announced. So far, third parties have been pretty much ignoring the Switch, much like they did the Wii U, outside of some small indie games (which I do love and appreciate). I'd be okay with the Switch turning into my preferred indie machine to go along with 2 or 3 big Nintendo titles a year. But we can't pretend that there's an avalanche of games coming without them being announced.

MisterR

weird post

Maybe, if you only consider first party games? It's really not weird in any way, shape or form though. You knew every big 3rd party game would be coming to the PS4, and that's what most people buy consoles for and of course all the standard Sony first party games would be coming.

phanphare

Banned
Eh, not really. You knew that all third parties would release their biggest and best games on the PS4. You knew that the moment PS4 was announced. So far, third parties have been pretty much ignoring the Switch, much like they did the Wii U, outside of some small indie games (which I do love and appreciate). I'd be okay with the Switch turning into my preferred indie machine to go along with 2 or 3 big Nintendo titles a year. But we can't pretend that there's an avalanche of games coming without them being announced.

Maybe, if you only consider first party games? It's really not weird in any way, shape or form though. You knew every big 3rd party game would be coming to the PS4, and that's what most people buy consoles for and of course all the standard Sony first party games would be coming.

I just remember the sentiment on here being quite different back in 2013 and 2014 than what yall are saying. people seemed really bummed that Sony's first party stuff wasn't all that great until like 2015.

meanwhile on Switch Nintendo is killing it and looks to keep the momentum going with a big release just about every month through the end of the year.

commish

I just remember the sentiment on here being quite different back in 2013 and 2014 than what yall are saying. people seemed really bummed that Sony's first party stuff wasn't all that great until like 2015.

meanwhile on Switch Nintendo is killing it and looks to keep the momentum going with a big release just about every month through the end of the year.

Okay, NOW who is going into revisionist history. :)

theofficefan99

I personally have zero interest in Indie games and ports. Zelda, Mario, and XB2 are what I'm looking forward to. Don't really care for Splatoon 2 or ARMs.

spekkeh

Banned
Not arguing that the PS4/Xbone launches were amazing, because they weren't, but a lot of this stuff is revisionist history. For example, BF4 was the first 64 player version EVER on consoles. That was huge. It was basically the first Battlefield game without compromises that non-PC players got to experience. It's not analogous to a late port or something like that. It's a completely different experience.
Eh
For you maybe. I had played Battlefield 2 that already supported 64 players back in 2005. Nothing huge about the same series allowing it on a console eight years later.

commish

I'm recalling history as it existed, you're free to do some thread searches

maybe I'll link some examples when I'm off work

It's really, really not necessary. At the end of the day, we can't really take a few posts and then interpret that to represent the feelings of millions of gamers.

Gator86

Eh
For you maybe. I had played Battlefield 2 that already supported 64 players back in 2005. Nothing huge about the same series allowing it on a console eight years later.

I guess if you ignore the vast majority of my post, sure. Prior to BF4, it was completely unavailable to console players and is the definitive way to play Battlefield. But I guess that's less impressive than a bunch of old Neo Geo games.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah about equally impressive, which is to say not at all.

I see it as saying Battlefield is finally 1080p on consoles, eight years after you could play it like that on a potato pc, that's huge. No it's not huge, it's nice to have. If nice to have is a major selling point then that to me just underscores how bad the lineup is. Nobody is saying Neo Geo games are huge. They're nice to have, especially considering the ease with which you can setup local multiplayer bouts everywhere. But it's not huge.

Gator86

Yeah about equally impressive, which is to say not at all.

I see it as saying Battlefield is finally 1080p on consoles, eight years after you could play it like that on a potato pc, that's huge. No it's not huge, it's nice to have. If nice to have is a major selling point then that to me just underscores how bad the lineup is. Nobody is saying Neo Geo games are huge. They're nice to have, especially considering the ease with which you can setup local multiplayer bouts everywhere. But it's not huge.

giphy.gif

So a huge, dramatic gameplay change to a marquee franchise is nothing because it was available earlier in a different game on a completely different platform? I regret coming into this thread more than I regret most Switch threads.

spekkeh

Banned
No it's the same game, that's the point. It's almost like saying playing a 3D Mario on 3DS was huge for portable game players, when really it's ¯_(ツ)_/ ¯

I say almost, because 2D to 3D actually is gameplay changing, whereas going from 24 on smaller maps to 64 on bigger maps is hardly dramatically game changing huge. It's just more people waiting for airplanes to spawn. Anyway, let's agree to disagree. BF4 was a big mess at launch anyway.

No Love

Banned
Amazed at this console's ability to get me to drop funds. Just spent $20 on Thumper. Spent over $800 since release on this fuckin thing lol

selo

As for me, I've bought
- Zelda (physical)
- Fast RMX
- Mario Kart
- Blaster Master Zero
- NBA Playgrounds
- Disgaea 5

Yeah, I didn't think I was gonna buy anything else besides the first party games, so, I'll be buying ARMS and then Splatoon, and nothing planned until Mario Odyssey.

man the switch line up this year is getting more crazier day after day

so after minecraft and soon SF II in may I am going to get arms in june and splatoon 2 and sinemora in july then monster hunter in august and mario rabbid kingdom battle in september. also I may get DQX in october if the game isnt geoblocked and i guess Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Mario Odyssey will all ship until december... and thats not even counting in all the indie titles.

Where did you get that Owlboy is this week?

i thought i saw it here. i guess i was wrong :(

You padded the game list with peripherals and several of the games are old or better on other platforms.

Don't be ridiculous bro but I am glad you're enjoying it which is really all that matters

M.W.

So far I've bought Zelda (physical), Fast RMX and Mario Kart.

Almost bit on NBA but it looks too janky.

I'm probably good for awhile.

Random switch question: where do you guys get your info for release dates?

It seems I have to scour the internet, and it leave me to random websites with little to know results.

NeonBlack

Random switch question: where do you guys get your info for release dates?

It seems I have to scour the internet, and it leave me to random websites with little to know results.

Couldn't you go to literally any store online(Walmart, Best Buy, etc) and see the release date?

jts

...hate me...
What I have for my neon Switch (not including stuff like cases/screen protectors, extra cables, SD card).

Pro Controller
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Fast RMX
1-2-Switch
Snake Pass
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Snipperclips
Minecraft

Next up: ARMS

My only regret is perhaps Snake Pass. I'm sure there's a good game in there but it's not captivating me enough to invest time in it.

If I actually calculate it, it's a good chunk of money spent in a short time with it and for it. Damn.

Top Bottom