• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 1st year is killing my wallet

Do you have a family and a mortgage or are you in your teens/early 20's?

I don't have a family but I have loans a mortgage and responsabilities. Why does it even matter? Gaming is not really that expensinve if you plan around it, no reason to hoard stuff specially if you jabe other responsabilities.

Funnily I was just thinking about this the other day.

Switch is not totally comparable to the Vita (for obvious reasons), which got killed by expensive accessories often stated as a primary reason. Yet here's the Switch with a comparable business model to bring in the money (expensive, (almost) required accessories) and people seem to be happy handing over their money.

Loving my Switch and love(d) the Vita too. I just think it's funny that the Vita flopped, while the Switch seems to be winning with a comparable idea to make profit. I mean the Switch dock costing €100? A pair of joycons €89? And then you still have to buy the straps/click-on thingy separately too. Lol. Where's the complaints?

I mean the Switch dock costing €100? A pair of joycons €89? And then you still have to buy the straps/click-on thingy separately too. Lol. Where's the complaints?

No complaints because you don't need any of that crap. You actually NEEDED a memory card to even launch most Vita games.

Interfectum

Switch is not totally comparable to the Vita (for obvious reasons), which got killed by expensive accessories often stated as a primary reason. Yet here's the Switch with a comparable business model to bring in the money (expensive, (almost) required accessories) and people seem to be happy handing over their money.

Loving my Switch and love(d) the Vita too. I just think it's funny that the Vita flopped, while the Switch seems to be winning with a comparable idea to make profit. I mean the Switch dock costing €100? A pair of joycons €89? And then you still have to buy the straps/click-on thingy separately too. Lol. Where's the complaints?

You don't need a dock or extra pair of joycons to play Switch. The biggest complaint leveled at Vita was the proprietary memory card bullshit.

Also, Vita flopped because Sony didn't support it. Switch won't have that issue with Nintendo.

Well the dock comes with the system and extra docks are only sold seperaty if you really want more, for whatever reason. The pair of Joycons are pricey but they also double as two controllers for some games so it kind of balances out. That and you only need then for local multiplayer, which would be the same issue every other system has as well. Not really comparable to the Vita, which had crazy prices for it's memory cards that are required for most people, had an unappealing library for most people, and poor marketing

PSFan

You don't need a dock or extra pair of joycons to play Switch. The biggest complaint leveled at Vita was the proprietary memory card bullshit.

Also, Vita flopped because Sony didn't support it. Switch won't have that issue with Nintendo.

No, I think the expensive, proprietary memory cards hurt it the most. If Sony had gone with standard microSD cards for storage, the Vita would probably be in a much better position today.

This is actually the main reason I'm turned off by most Nintendo systems. I only got a 3DS for Pokemon.

PSN store keeps doing sales all the time, making plenty of PS4 games available for a low price. Meanwhile, I am expecting Zelda to never go on sale and the European problem of digital games costing ridiculous amounts is still there. I just don't feel like I'm getting value for my money, when compared to PSN sales on PS4, Vita and PS3 where there will be many quality games available for a low price.

Interfectum

No, I think the expensive, proprietary memory cards hurt it the most. If Sony had gone with standard microSD cards for storage, the Vita would probably be in a much better position today.

Disagree completely. If the Vita were compelling enough with good software the memory card issue wouldn't have shut down the consumer so easily.

Well, it's console launch alright. One good thing of owning multiple console is that I don't have to buy so many games on my Switch just to have something to play. The only $60 game I bought for the Switch is Zelda but the rest are smaller cheaper games like Blast Master Hero, Shovel Knight and Puyo Puyo. My Switch is basically for some short burst gameplay while most of my extended game time is still on PS4.

Mortemis

Banned
The switch is basically the only gaming system I use nowadays, so it's not too much seeing as I don't spend money on anything else when it comes to gaming.

zenspider

I really enjoy my Switch, but the hyperbole about it is out of control on here. It's basically been a great Zelda game, a Mario Kart port and a bunch of indy games that most of these folks are losing their mind over wouldn't take two seconds to look at or care about if they came out on Steam or PS4, which most of them already have. I guess it's great that people are excited about their new system though and good for them for that.

Isn't that the whole point? The appeal is that "bunch of indie games" on a hybrid. I don't care to play Hollow Knight, Gonner, or Owlboy on games on a computer, but I am psyched about them on Switch. As far as port begging, if Yakuza 0 or P5 were on Switch I might've finished them - instead it's a slog because of how I have to allocate my time, and how much can be on the couch in my living room or various remote play setups that run decent.

I think it's a perfectly valid enthusiasm.

Expensive proprietary memory cards to be able to save Vita games is an extra step of frustration beyond the switch peripherals.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

No it wouldn't. Consumers didn't want the Vita as there just wasn't enough big name Sony and third party games on the platform. It was clearly playing second fiddle to their consoles, and who can forget that one E3 where Sony spent more time hyping that Wonderbook thing then their portable?

I know guys. That's why I stated they're not completely comparable. But the accesories and their prices are a new level of expensive on Switch imo. Yet there's little complaints.

One could argue the Pro controller and an ethernet adapter are required accessories once some online competitive games start coming out, imo. Which is an additional €70 on top of Switch price itsef. 32GB storage will also need to be upgraded at some point in time for most users. I understand SD cards are cheaper than Vita's propretiary cards. But Vita + mem card was still way cheaper than when you get locked in to Ninty's Switch model. Just the way I feel. No attack or anything on Nintendo. Maybe even smart from their point of view.

I'd love to get another dock and another pair of joycons/straps, but I just don't want to approve of these prices they're charging. I am certainly getting a Pro controller and ethernet adapter at some point though, not because I want to pay for it, but because I have to.

I would just like to see some fairer prices is all. €100 for a plastic dock, which doesn't even have an ethernet port? €89 for a pair of joycons and you have to pay €7 x2 for the straps? If you want to charge your joycons while playing on TV you'd have to buy another grip which DOES feature a charging port. That's just lol imo... An included grip with charging port and the included dock with ethernet port would've gone a long way already imo. I'm just getting Apple feels with this new post-Wii U Nintendo.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I like the Switch and I own one, but I get increasingly tired of 'blind bliss,' I would call it. I don't know, I own every console and primarily play on PC so maybe I have some kind of bias, and I have never been big on console wars, but something about the Switch train turns me completely off from discussing it. Like the Switch has some good games for it and it was a decent launch, yes. but this year has been surging with great game releases and outside of Zelda there's nothing really on the Switch right now which compares with what's been releasing elsewhere, there's been some solid games but it's mostly been ports and smaller releases. My wallet has been struggling with gaming this year and the Switch certainly didn't help but I wouldn't say the Switch game library is particularly swamped with must buys right now, especially in a year where there's been so many must buys on other platforms.

I don't know, I guess the reason this bothers me is because it seems like fans trying to market the thing with the 'grass is greener' approach at times, like if they voice out how great things are on their side of the fence then it may cause others to join them. But it feels weird because of the methods I think. Like did you need to create this topic to say you're buying a lot for your Switch? What is it trying to accomplish or discuss? And it's not just been this thread, there's been various Switch threads about people trying to do some positive affirmation thing by being overtly positive. Like I swear this is the third NeoGAF topic on the same subject, which I guess there's an audience to discuss it but it just feels so forced to me.

I hope the Switch succeeds, and happy people like it, but this weird thing Nintendo fans are doing is really turning me off.

This post is totally on point. I love me some Nintendo but the amount of fervor that the Switch is receiving over it's relatively small library is strange almost to the point of being suspicious.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying your Switch experience, but I'm not entirely sure why everyone feels they need to market for Nintendo; they're doing just fine selling the thing on their own.

Come on man, don't do this. During my time at GAF, you've always been one of the most reasonable and level headed posters, and even when I disagree I respect your viewpoints.

I expect this level of snark from others on this site, but not from you...

Apologies for the snark in that post, but I fully stand behind the point I was making. I have a major problem with thread-whining. If you don't want to engage in a conversation, go to another thread. There are numerous topics on this forum I have zero interest in....and that's ok.

Interfectum

I know guys. That's why I stated they're not completely comparable. But the accesories and their prices are a new level of expensive on Switch imo. Yet there's little complaints.

This is false. There are plenty of complaints on Switch accessory prices. You just aren't looking or choosing to ignore.

One could argue the Pro controller and an ethernet adapter are required accessories once some online competitive games start coming out, imo. Which is an additional €70 on top of Switch price itsef. 32GB storage will also need to be upgraded at some point in time for most users. I understand SD cards are cheaper than Vita's propretiary cards. But Vita + mem card was still way cheaper than when you get locked in to Ninty's Switch model. Just the way I feel. No attack or anything on Nintendo. Maybe even smart from their point of view.

Neither one of those are required accessories at all.

This post is totally on point. I love me some Nintendo but the amount of fervor that the Switch is receiving over it's relatively small library is strange almost to the point of being suspicious.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying your Switch experience, but I'm not entirely sure why everyone feels they need to market for Nintendo; they're doing just fine selling the thing on their own.

I'm no shareholder. I'm just surprised to find myself a lot more enthusiastic about this launch than I expected to be.

Crayon

The one time I thought about buying a Vita, I had a look at the memory card prices and fainted. The stories are all true.

Interfectum

You do realize there are people who completely ignored Wii U, right? Like tons of people. So having Zelda and Mario Kart on a brand new Nintendo system a couple months out is a pretty big deal to those people. You throw in the the indies and old school Neo Geo games and it's not a bad first couple months.

Also, in regards to your second point, you could literally say that about anyone posting a positive thread about Sony, MS or whoever.

redcrayon

A 128gb memory card for the Switch is £36. Half that costs more on the Vita, and it's a bit more necessary than an extra dock or extra joycons when they already come with it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
You do realize there are people who completely ignored Wii U, right? Like tons of people. So having Zelda and Mario Kart on a brand new Nintendo system a couple months out is a pretty big deal to those people. You throw in the the indies and old school Neo Geo games and it's not a bad first couple months.

Also, in regards to your second point, you could literally say that about anyone posting a positive thread about Sony, MS or whoever.

Were there "OMG I love my Playstation 4" in the months following its release? I honestly can't remember.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I'm no shareholder. I'm just surprised finding myself a lot more enthusiastic about this launch than I expected to be.

Same here. I got a Switch, a Pro controller and Zelda. And there's nothing on the immediate horizon that excites me. I am flabbergasted by threads that paint the Switch as the savior of gaming when in my view it's a handheld console with a hohum library of ports and indie fare, typical of a machine that has just launched.

Interfectum

Were there "OMG I love my Playstation 4" in the months following its release? I honestly can't remember.

Check GAF after any random E3 and tell me there's not unabashed gushing for Sony or whoever.

The Switch just launched and a lot of people love the hell out of the system. It's weird so many people want to shut them down. Heaven forbid there's excitement around here. I guess we need more threads about Destiny's framerate?

Neither one of those are required accessories at all.
Not literally required no, but they will give you an edge during online play, don't you agree? I remember the days that I was one of the only ones using a stereo headset for online play. It gave a significant advantage for certain online games. You don't see most people using headphones for nothing nowadays. Same with ethernet and in Switch's case a proper controller. You get advantage by using them or you have a handicap if you don't use it. So in a certain way it is required, yeah.

Of course there were. As there should have been, because we're on an enthusiast video game forum and people are naturally going to get very excited about their new hardware.

Like, some of you genuinely confuse me. Places like NeoGAF exist to get excited about video games and share that excitement with others. If we're going to mock people for being passionate about this stuff, I don't even understand the point of visiting here.

Don't know if that was the case on NeoGAF but I saw PLENTY of that on other forums and, even now on GAF, I see quite a healthy amount of posts about how it's amazing to own the PS4 right now (At the moment, I don't disagree with that). So far, it looks like people are in the honeymoon phase for their shiny new system, just like it has been for most new systems. Once the hype dies down a bit, threads like that will become less common

Apologies for the snark in that post, but I fully stand behind the point I was making. I have a major problem with thread-whining. If you don't want to engage in a conversation, go to another thread. There are numerous topics on this forum I have zero interest in....and that's ok.

No apologies needed, was just hoping you weren't losing your cool over all of this.

I agree with you to an extent; thread whining is undesirable, and usually doesn't add anything to the discussion. On top of that, I believe it's explicitly a NeoGAF forum policy to not thread whine.

But, if we assume that Newton's Law of "for every action, there's an equal but opposite reaction" applies to human behavior as well, then people shouldn't be surprised that Switch-related positive hyperbole* will be met with equal amounts of backlash.

* "hyperbole" is my own assessment of the situation, and obviously not scientific. You may disagree, of course. But that's why "opinions" are a thing, right?

PSFan

Disagree completely. If the Vita were compelling enough with good software the memory card issue wouldn't have shut down the consumer so easily.

No it wouldn't. Consumers didn't want the Vita as there just wasn't enough big name Sony and third party games on the platform. It was clearly playing second fiddle to their consoles, and who can forget that one E3 where Sony spent more time hyping that Wonderbook thing then their portable?

The memory card was pretty much required for a Vita in the beginning, so you had to buy one at an inflated price. Sony included a couple GBs in later models, but it was too late by then. And it really couldn't be played without one. I guess the PSP was the same but I don't remember memory sticks being as expensive as Vita memory cards are.

AndyD

aka andydumi
SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, X360.

Dreamcast 1st year was a bliss too.

It seems you skipped a generation and don't game on PC. Which means a lot of the indies that have been around for a bit are still new to you and you end up paying the Nintendo "tax" on top.

No apologies needed, was just hoping you weren't losing your cool over all of this.

I agree with you to an extent; thread whining is undesirable, and usually doesn't add anything to the discussion. On top of that, I believe it's explicitly a NeoGAF forum policy to not thread whine.

But, if we assume that Newton's Law of "for every action, there's an equal but opposite reaction" applies to human behavior as well, then people shouldn't be surprised that Switch-related positive hyperbole* will be met with equal amounts of backlash.

* "hyperbole" is my own assessment of the situation, and obviously not scientific. You may disagree, of course. But that's why "opinions" are a thing, right?

I don't have a problem with backlash at all. I'd actually be interested in reading a thread dedicated to why someone felt disappointed in the system. And you'll almost never see me getting ruffled over someone respectfully disagreeing with another's love of the Switch in threads like these.

The whining is obnoxious though. I've got no time for that and I guess it's on me to just start adding those types of posters to my ignore list.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Not literally required no, but they will give you an edge during online play, don't you agree? I remember the days that I was one of the only ones using a stereo headset for online play. It gave a significant advantage for certain online games. You don't see most people using headphones for nothing nowadays. Same with ethernet and in Switch's case a proper controller. You get advantage by using them or you have a handicap if you don't use it. So in a certain way it is required, yeah.

Pro controller is a preferrence not an advantage. Ethernet adapter you can say is, but you can get it reasonably enough and cheap enough. It's not like a lot of these consoles come with an ethernet cable either so either way your most likely going to rese or pay out.

The memory card was pretty much required for a Vita in the beginning, so you had to buy one at an inflated price. Sony included a couple GBs in later models, but it was too late by then. And it really couldn't be played without one. I guess the PSP was the same but I don't remember memory sticks being as expensive as Vita memory cards are.
They were expensive cards ath the time too compared to SD cards. Though they could also be used for Sony MP3 players, phones, camera's etc I paid €70 for a 1GB memory stick Pro Duo (guess that's the name) back in the day. I think SD equivalents were at least €20/30 cheaper too.

tayls129

I really enjoy my Switch, but the hyperbole about it is out of control on here. It's basically been a great Zelda game, a Mario Kart port and a bunch of indy games that most of these folks are losing their mind over wouldn't take two seconds to look at or care about if they came out on Steam or PS4, which most of them already have. I guess it's great that people are excited about their new system though and good for them for that.

I also only have Zelda and Mario Kart and actually forgot I have Mario Kart until this thread.

Totally agree with you. Not only are people stoked about overpriced versions of games you could get for pocket change elsewhere, the Switch has the decidedly lesser version in almost every single case.

PSFan

They were expensive cards ath the time too compared to SD cards. Though they could also be used for Sony MP3 players, phones, camera's etc I paid €70 for a 1GB memory stick Pro Duo (guess that's the name) back in the day. I think SD equivalents were at least €20/30 cheaper too.

Weren't there third party memory sticks too? Or at least adapters that let you use SD cards with memory stick slots?

Of course.

Literally every remaining PS3 exclusive thread (like the original releases of Kingdom Hearts 1.5 / 2.5) was filled with "PS4 port or no buy"/"Why can't they port this to PS4"-posts.

We had boatloads of "It's really hard to go back to last gen consoles"-threads as well. I don't even want to mention the self-mastubatory circus (8GB, PS4 would melt trying to do this, * Banderas gif *) every digital foundry-thread devolved into.

But sure, it's just those pesky Nintendo fans who are acting "out of line".

Brhoom

Banned

After every console launch, and every gaming event we get these threads. Pleople are enjoying and talking about video games in a video game fourm.

Pro controller is a preferrence not an advantage. Ethernet adapter you can say is, but you can get it reasonably enough and cheap enough. It's not like a lot of these consoles come with an ethernet cable either so either way your most likely going to rese or pay out.
Well, I for one can't imagine playing competitive shooters with Switch's joycons sticks. They're OK at what they do, but the aiming in BOTW doesn't feel precise enough and even though that's my only reference point at this moment (only have MK and Zelda), it does seem that the hardware simply doesn't allow more precise/less awkward aiming simply due the lower/smaller turn/lean of the sticks when you use fhem. Either that or Nintendo didn't pay much attention to aiming in BOTW (which I doubt).

Maybe I should change my previous statement. Not one could argue, but I would argue that the Pro controller is required if you want to compete online. And I stand by it, until (hopefully) proven otherwise by dem games of course.

Weren't there third party memory sticks too? Or at least adapters that let you use SD cards with memory stick slots?
There were both Sony branded and third party cards back then, yeah. I had a San Disk, which was still way more expensive than SD cards from the same brand. I bet (wild guess) they had to pay Sony license costs to even make their cards, which probably drove up the price for third parties a lot.

ianpm31

Got my switch today and it looks nice sitting right next to my ps4 but I must say the lack of an ethernet port is ridiculous. For some reason my wifi signal on the switch is weak but every other electronic in the house it's not an issue. I read that their are some wifi issues with some switches and I guess my unit is one of them. Also when I undock it the signal strength increases lol

Neiteio

Sony killed my wallet at the start of the year (RE7, Yakuza 0, Nioh, Nier) and Nintendo is killing my wallet now (BotW, MK8D, Bomberman, Puyo Puyo, Snipperclips, Shovel Knight, Thumper, and soon ARMS, Splatoon 2, etc).

Got my switch today and it looks nice sitting right next to my ps4 but I must say the lack of an ethernet port is ridiculous. For some reason my wifi signal on the switch is weak but every other electronic in the house it's not an issue. I read that their are some wifi issues with some switches and I guess my unit is one of them. Also when I undock it the signal strength increases lol

The Switch has a horrible WiFi chip.

I had to buy this to get a decent signal, as my router is on the other side of my house.

That's a slippery slope of an accusation there, as I've been called an Nintendo Fanboy myself in the past and I'm not feeling the Switch fervor.

Oh, I wasn't refering to you, sorry !
Your position is absolutely reasonable, it's definitely OK if you're not into the Switch or a bit puzzled why the reception has been so positive on GAF.

It was directed at the annoyed bunch, who are trying to portray this as a "Nintendo-fanboy-thing"

1. Reboot modem/router
2. Reboot Switch
3. Tyr again.

Does it persist?
What happens if you move the dock to another location (other side of the TV or PS4 for example? Something may be blocking it's way or some interference going on. I'm guessing the Wifi is in the Switch tablet itself and nothing in the dock. So if it works fine without the dock, it's probably interference from other devices/walls/etc

Top Bottom