• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch at 4.7 million | ARMS: 1.18 Million, Zelda: 3.92M, Mario Kart 3.54M

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Except with the multi-platforms and indies there are indeed many things to play on the system? I mean, I don't know about you but I've loved playing Puyo, Thumper, and Neo-Turf Masters on the go. Shovel Knight, Cave Story, and Blaster Master have been great "retro" additions. SnipperClips and now Overcooked are great local multi-player games . Like, honestly, this "no-games" narrative with super arbitrary rules is a little tiring after a while.

Sales numbers released by Nintendo are only going to include retail releases, so I doubt we'll ever know the sales numbers of indie titles and other games not available at retail on Nintendo's platform.

HardRojo

Pretty sure MK8D will have great legs as more people get Switches and the supply situation improves. Good to see ARMS break one million units sold!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Nintendo sales numbers always reinstate my faith in mankind. Amazing games selling amazingly.

Honest question - do people still play Arms now that Splatoon 2 is released? Everyone I know who bought arms no longer plays.

Yes, every single day.

mstevens

I really hope Nintendo gets stock figured out by Christmas. Holiday sales could solidify this thing into a cultural phenomenon.

Anyone got the numbers for PS4/XBO in a similar timeframe?
Does anyone know if we can see Wii U and 3DS numbers?
How does Switch's numbers fare against PS4's and XB1's at the same point in time?
out of curiosity where are Wii, DS were GBA 4 months in?
I posted in another thread
some calculations of shipments for the best launches of all time. Since months can be different durations, I adjusted all values to 17 weeks to match Switch. I also corrected for regional staggering where possible (details in linked post). The results:

Code:
PS4: 6.99m (holiday)
GBA: 6.52m (spring)
Wii: 5.43m (holiday)
XB1: 4.92m (holiday)
NDS: 4.90m (holiday)
[B]SWI: 4.70m (spring)[/b]
3DS: 4.42m (spring)

At some point, Xbox One will slide down past Switch. But the other 4 platforms above it will almost certainly stay there forever (only GBA might be catchable, but it'll be years).

I did note launch season, but I'm unconvinced it matters that much. See below.

1.94 millions is quite more than what I was expecting going by US+Japan numbers (1.6 - 1.7 millions at max).
Actually, this is the exact same ratio of US sell-through to worldwide shipments as during March.

It's really misleading to compare PS4 launch months to Switch's for 2 very large reasons.

1. PS4 launched in the holidays....
As I said above, I don't think this matters much. All but the biggest failures will sell out no matter what at first. It's the sustained level after that pulse which differentiates success from massive success. For example, if we ignored PS4's 2013 holiday and assume its 1Q2014 shipments were a March launch instead, after 17 weeks the results would still be higher than Switch.

The Switch and its games are doing excellently, I see. What'll be interesting to see is how well it goes over during the holidays—really well, I imagine.

Chauzu

Honest question - do people still play Arms now that Splatoon 2 is released? Everyone I know who bought arms no longer plays.

Still play ARMS daily, usually twice a day for 30-60 mins each time. Only play ranked online. Still feel I improve at a good pace.

Neiteio

ARMS already selling nearly as much as SFV in a mere fraction of the time. :-O

I hope Breath of the Wild becomes the highest selling Zelda game to date. It 100% deserves it.
Agreed. BotW is like this gen's RE4 in terms of how epic and significant it feels. A staggering achievement in so many ways.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I feel like it has more to do with Splatoon 2 being the new hotness.

Doesn't help that Nintendo took the "bare bones at release + future updates" approach. Need to hook people in! S2 is objectively the better game though. OBJECTIVELY. ;)

~42% of the owners. Idk generally perception of first year adopters are that they are rather big into the first party and their releases. Arms being first party I figured more consumers would bite just because its a Nintendo game. Clearly my expectations are off/my perception of what the average Switch consumer is/buys. Good to see numbers to get clarity on the situation.

This has never been how it works.

Nintendo customers are happy not to buy Nintendo games if they aren't appealing.

boiled goose

good with gravy
ARMS already selling nearly as much as SFV in a mere fraction of the time. :-O

Agreed. BotW is like this gen's RE4 in terms of how epic and significant it feels. A staggering achievement in so many ways.

BotW is Nintendo's and Zelda's return to good, solid game design after generations of horrible, misguided design decisions. It being so successful means the world makes sense and is a great thing for gaming.

This has never been how it works.

Nintendo customers are happy not to buy Nintendo games if they aren't appealing.

Codename Steam another new IP by Nintendo was extremely successful as well right?

Neiteio

I play both, when I'm tired of Splatoon 2, I switch to ARMS and vice versa.
Splatoon 2 and ARMS are like milk and cookies. Great combination. Exploding people's faces with Nades in between splatting them with the Aerospray is gaming nirvana.

I was shocked to see Arms over a million so soon. Lol... I doubted that it would be a Million unit seller.

I just hope Pokken gets the same love sells wise in September.

Wow, ARMS broke a million? That's cool.
Zelda and Mario Kart and doing great!
I can only imagine how well the Switch would be doing if it wasn't so supply constrained, Nintendo really has a hit on their hands.

weekev

Banned
I posted in another thread
some calculations of shipments for the best launches of all time. Since months can be different durations, I adjusted all values to 17 weeks to match Switch. I also corrected for regional staggering where possible (details in linked post). The results:

Code:
PS4: 6.99m (holiday)
GBA: 6.52m (spring)
Wii: 5.43m (holiday)
XB1: 4.92m (holiday)
NDS: 4.90m (holiday)
[B]SWI: 4.70m (spring)[/b]
3DS: 4.42m (spring)

At some point, Xbox One will slide down past Switch. But the other 4 platforms above it will almost certainly stay there forever (only GBA might be catchable, but it'll be years).

I did note launch season, but I'm unconvinced it matters that much. See below.

Actually, this is the exact same ratio of US sell-through to worldwide shipments as during March.

As I said above, I don't think this matters much. All but the biggest failures will sell out no matter what at first. It's the sustained level after that pulse which differentiates success from massive success. For example, if we ignored PS4's 2013 holiday and assume its 1Q2014 shipments were a March launch instead, after 17 weeks the results would still be higher than Switch.
The thing that you aren't factoring in is the fact Switch has been heavily supply restrained and this is likely to be the case until well into next year. I realise this is the same for the others but I'd expect Switch to end up number 3 just behind PS4 and Wii by the time they finally meet the demand. After that.....we shall see.

i feel like you two may have mixed up what he was saying here, unless i'm missing something.

They were saying they thought more people would buy Arms just because it's a Nintendo game.

I replied that people don't just buy everything Nintendo releases just because Nintendo released it.

edit: oh, you're looking at the replies to my reply. nah, they totally get what I'm saying.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
GTA V on Switch this Christmas with Lan co-op or something extra and Rockstar would be on the way to sell 100 million GTA V's un its lifetime...

Nintendo needs some third party support to keep the flow, any.

Most hilarious post of the thread, easily.

Nintendo sales numbers always reinstate my faith in mankind. Amazing games selling amazingly..

Well I mean if you ignore that pesky 2012-2016 period I guess.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That presentation was absolutely horrible and cast a very bad light on the future of Switch. Just because Switch has sold well doesn't mean everything Nintendo does is perfect and inspiring. And just because a product legitimately forecasts poorly doesn't mean it can't have a turnaround.

Considering Nintendo's trajectory combined with the depressing conference, predicting mediocre Switch sales was the correct prediction. Sometimes the correct prediction does not turn out to be the actual result.
I actually re watched thAt presentation a few days ago and I still don't see what was wrong with it, they announced the price which clearly people were ok with, and all the other details and then they showed like a ton of games coming for it with the promise of 80 in development which we knew has increased since then, and then it ended with an amazing trailer for zelda, gaf blew that presentation out of proportion to make it seem worse then it actually was

Forgive me if it's been clarified, but does this include July sales/Splatoon's launch? Feels like it should've sold a million by now based on the first 3 days in Japan
The success of Zelda is a wonderful thing.

The success of Mario Kart is a depressing thing.
It was one of the worst selling games in the franchise despite being the best one.

killroy87

Almost 5 million! Probably past 5 mil now, with the extra time and Splatoon. That's incredible news, good for Nintendo.

And lol at the people who thought MK8 wouldn't sell haha.

I just hope this doesn't mean we don't get a legit new Mario Kart on Switch at some point.

The Twilight Princess approach seems to work very well for Zelda since TP and like BOTW will end up as the best selling games in the franchise.
I wonder how much revenue BOTW has raked in. The amiibo are constantly selling out and the special editions sold out quickly.
I imagine the DLC will sell well too.
No, the quarter ended in June.
Thanks!

Man this is great to see! I've had every Nintendo console since the beginning (except for the Virtual Boy). Loved my Wii U but over time there was just not that much to play. Glad that Nintendo is having such a kick ass first year with the Switch.

Hoping third party games start showing up on this thing, especially with Unreal Engine 4 support. Oh what I would do for Tekken 7 on that thing!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Good results for Arms.

Hopefully Splatoon 2 is putting up better numbers than that. Both are solid new Ninty franchises that are nice additions to their lineup.

Does this mean that Arms will get a sequel?

Please please please please

This also means that the USA is where the bulk of ARMS sales are, which is the most important market.

Neoxon

Man this is great to see! I've had every Nintendo console since the beginning (except for the Virtual Boy). Loved my Wii U but over time there was just not that much to play. Glad that Nintendo is having such a kick ass first year with the Switch.

Hoping third party games start showing up on this thing, especially with Unreal Engine 4 support. Oh what I would do for Tekken 7 on that thing!
Unless you're okay with a sub-HD resolution on the Switch for both docked & undocked, I wouldn't get your hopes up for Tekken 7 on the Switch (for reference, the OG PS4 can't run the game at 1080p). DBFZ might have a shot, but sadly, not Tekken 7.

Top Bottom