• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch dock has been pulled from Nintendo's online store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

Is there really that much issues with the dock? Makes me want a dockless Switch unit more lol (since I only really care for the portable aspect for this system anyway).

Some docks are crooked. Some people think this can cause scratches on the screen. It hasn't on mine, but of course no one wants to take chances.

Nintendo's online store tends to delist items when they sell out it happens all the time with refurbished wiimotes and other parts.

Vitacat

Interesting. So far I'm not having any scratching, BUT I put on a screen protector right out of the box, and slightly modded my dock with soft side Velcro.

Would love to get a free replacement dock that I don't have to worry about scratching anything.

Hint, hint, Nintendo.

Love my Switch, though. BOTW and Fast RMX have been pure joy.

Veitsev

Is there really that much issues with the dock? Makes me want a dockless Switch unit more lol (since I only really care for the portable aspect for this system anyway).

Not really. Combination of bent docks (which should be replaced) and user error. Doesn't seem widespread but it freaks people out. Mostly people understandably paranoid about scratching their new systems.

The only user error I've seen related to dock scratching is trusting Nintendo not to make a dock that scratches their console.

Idiots! Don't you know you have to have robotic precision when using the dock? Think of it as a game of Operation. It's not Nintendo's job to make sure the dock's materials can't scratch the screen where the dock is designed to contact the screen! And if you were too stupid to make sure the dock wasn't bent out of the box you don't deserve a pristine screen.

mlclmtckr

Banned
And if you were too stupid to make sure the dock wasn't bent out of the box you don't deserve a pristine screen.

A pristine bezel you mean.

And some of the pictures in the dock scratching thread were just ridiculous. Zigzag gouges down the entire side of the console. To me that's not indicative of normal use.

Rellik

It took 2 pages to bring up user error. Good job guys. Always the users fault, right?

Anyway this is probably just a sell out. I'd imagine a lot of people have been buying them to replace their bent unit.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They should replace everyone's dock. At this point it shouldn't cost more than a few tens of millions, max. Small price to pay for your reputation.

Vitacat

Feel bad for the early adopters experiencing various issues with the system.
Don't feel too bad. Many are not having problems. Mine has been flawless so far. But as far as the dock is concerned, if you put a screen protector on, and your dock isnt bent, it's seems to be safe enough.

Honestly, the Switch itself is superb, and the joycons and pro controller are great in their own ways. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Nintendo develops it over time. And, BOTW is truly something special.

I should've known the switch rollercoaster wouldn't stop after launch

Lets keep this thing rolling!

Wonder what their plan is with the docks

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The only user error I've seen related to dock scratching is trusting Nintendo not to make a dock that scratches their console.

Idiots! Don't you know you have to have robotic precision when using the dock? Think of it as a game of Operation. It's not Nintendo's job to make sure the dock's materials can't scratch the screen where the dock is designed to contact the screen! And if you were too stupid to make sure the dock wasn't bent out of the box you don't deserve a pristine screen.

Lol, so true...

LowSignal

Throw a screen protector on and you'll be fine. I don't get why people are freaking out. If it scratched already then yeah I'd be mad.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They should replace everyone's dock. At this point it shouldn't cost more than a few tens of millions, max. Small price to pay for your reputation.

I need to be sure they care about their reputation beyond their core fanbase which needs their games more than they need to be protected as consumers sometimes... or so it may appear from Nintendo's point of view.
See dock scratching issues, see joycon connectivity issues, see WiFi speed/signal issues (congrats for getting the worst WiFi signal in the house, beating the PS4 Pro too ;)), see clearly rushed OS and features (720p docked UI? For real? You have some games running at much higher resolution than the UI?!?), lack of media apps and browser, etc...

I can't tell which one of you is being sarcastic or not.

Got a screen that scratches easily and requires constant sliding in and out? Ship it with a screen protector pre-applied on it! The idea of buying screen protector and other shenanigans is completely unnecessary if it was made right. I don't even know what glass its using that's getting scratched so easily. It's 2017, stop nickel and dime-ing everything! Stop selling these $1 screen protector for mass profit if you know it needs one!

But yes, thanks for beta testing... Clearly Nintendo is failing at quality that this is being pushed ahead to users like that.

Edit: I must mention: every console has a rocky launch.

This is just them selling out of it surely?Nothing more "fiddling nervously"

Thats exactly what it is back when people were buying refurbished wii u and wiimotes and other product once they sold out nintendo removed them from the store until they decided to put them back up.

Got a screen that scratches easily and requires constant sliding in and out? Ship it with a screen protector pre-applied on it! The idea of buying screen protector and other shenanigans is completely unnecessary if it was made right. I don't even know what glass its using that's getting scratched so easily. It's 2017, stop nickel and dime-ing everything! Stop selling these $1 screen protector for mass profit if you know it needs one!

But yes, thanks for beta testing... Clearly Nintendo is failing at quality that this is being pushed ahead to users like that.
It's not glass, it's plastic.

MUnited83

For you.
Not surprised, the docks are of such shitty quality and the fact that they were charging like 80-90$ was completely and utterly fucking insane.

KOvNNR.gif

Edit: I must mention: every console has a rocky launch.

No to pre-applied screen protectors, please.

I hate screen protectors, I hate cases on my devices etc.

I really don't want to deal with not having the option to not use them.

Oh yeah baybay gimmie the recall and fix

Also for the people some how defending the dock scratching, even with a protector it scratches the back too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom