• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch dock has been pulled from Nintendo's online store

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Is there a consensus that a bent dock scratches the screen, but a regular one does not?

I'd say any surface that you might rub your screen up against has a potential to scratch it...

Dock should've been frontless from the beginning. Weird decision to go with the hot dog imo.

erawsd

This discussion about the dock is interesting when you contrast it with the one about the plastic screen. In one case, folks commend Nintendo for building a device that can withstand a careless child. Here, if you ruin your screen when docking it then you should've be more careful.

televator

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod840594

Totally delisted. I've noticed that my dock is one of the "bent docks" but functionally it hasn't been an issue for me and I've got a tempered glass screen protector on the way just in case.

You may commence freaking out.

Lmao what if they just realized "oh shit it's 80 fucking bucks lmaoooo"

Bent docks? 80 dollars? What the fuck is going on?

SMG

I always thought the inside would be a soft rubber. Maybe they realized they fucked up with sharp, brittle plastic.

Vitacat

I'd say any surface that you might rub your screen up against has a potential to scratch it...

Dock should've been frontless from the beginning. Weird decision to go with the hot dog imo.
Agreed.

The dock design is just bad. The Switch, joycons (mine seem fine at least, no desyncs so far) and pro controller are all pretty awesome, though.

NimbusD

I dont think they were charging 90 like som peopel are saying, didnt it wind up being like 60?

Anyway, I wouldnt mind a redesign, its been the one obviously bad design for the system (and honestly I have some issues with the pro contorller but everyone seems to love it so I'll hold off on that.) Though as someone who bought on launch day I'll inevitably feel cheated for not havin the better redesigns.

Also my right joycon started wiggling when in handheld mode :( so annoying. I'm hoping I can tighten up some screws and fix it.

Vitacat

I dont think they were charging 90 like som peopel are saying, didnt it wind up being like 60?

Anyway, I wouldnt mind a redesign, its been the one obviously bad design for the system (and honestly I have some issues with the pro contorller but everyone seems to love it so I'll hold off on that.)
$60 without an AC adapter. $90 with one.

Wallach

There's no glass on the screen whatsoever, there are valid points to be made like this besides the cost, for instance if the screen breaks it will shatter, in the hands of a kid that could be dangerous.
But it sucks for people like me, at least there are those tempered glass protectors.

I mean, there's never going to be tempered glass in a Nintendo product. They're designed for 10 year olds, not 30 year olds.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm more inclined to believe it's sold out and delisted, the carrying case came back. What is even happening in this forum? Are trying spin absolutely anything as news or-

Yeah, ok. This is what's happening.

If it's just sold out and delisted that's pretty terrible. This shit needs a redesign asap. A price cut too, 80$ bucks for this dock is utterly ridiculous.

Sevenfold

Come on internet. It's already been way too long for someone knocking up a better solution in Sketchup and 3d printing it...

Bluth54

It is gone from many online stores
Ambassador program incoming

Yeah I'm not seeing it on multiple online store.

Yeah it's crazy that Nintendo thought it was okay for the dock without any sort of padding on the inside. I haven't scratched the screen of my Switch yet but I'm worried every time I take it out there's going to be a scratch.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I'm more inclined to believe it's sold out and delisted, the carrying case came back. What is even happening in this forum? Are trying spin absolutely anything as news or-

Yeah, ok. This is what's happening.

Its a strong sign to say that Nintendo Switch is getting more successful than they thought

Maximo

This discussion about the dock is interesting when you contrast it with the one about the plastic screen. In one case, folks commend Nintendo for building a device that can withstand a careless child. Here, if you ruin your screen when docking it then you should've be more careful.

hq6bbuP.gif

Its durable at least ones that had quality control ..too bad the dock wasn't built as decently (and the joycon desyncing) and will cause scratching, you shouldn't have to dock it in slowly everytime time like your performing brain surgery.

the dock itself is not the issue (even if they could have put some felt for example instead of leaving it full plastic). the issue is the quality control of the manufacturing process. A lot of bent docks should not have pass this quality check but were shipped instead.

Harmen

Why would a dock sell out right after launch? Isn't it the same dock included with the system? Genuinely curious to as why people buy a second dock, not trying to be snarky or something.

SarusGray

Why would a dock sell out right after launch? Isn't it the same dock included with the system? Genuinely curious to as why people buy a second dock, not trying to be snarky or something.

and its $90, you all have a lot of money to spend! JESUS.

Ashodin

hq6bbuP.gif

Its durable at least ones that had quality control ..too bad the dock wasn't built as decently (and the joycon desyncing) and will cause scratching, you shouldn't have to dock it in slowly everytime time like your performing brain surgery.
Ahhh fuck that's disturbing

quabba

I just realised my dock doesn't have any screws in it. I was setting it up on the TV and I pulled the whole thing apart by accident...

I can't tell if its bent not sure what that looks like.

Vidal

I tried to buy one and it wasn't available at Eb Games/Australia.

Since there is no USB-C to HDMI, I need to use it when I stream, in my office, but when we want to play with my wife we would play using the lounge tv.

Tommi84

I remember the 3DS having some issues, but not to the amount that the Switch is having.
Well
- the price dropped only in few months proving that it was priced too high
- the hinges made the screen wobble (my Nintendo DS was experiencing this months after extensive using, maybe even 2years)
- 3D effect was fixed in the next revision,
- the stylus was placed at the back of the device making it more difficult to take out (again, fixed in the next revision of console)
- the buttons made my thumbs ache when pressing the buttons for 20min (not sure if ever fixed)
- the design of the console was changed too - no more sharp edges
- the bottom screen's frame was leaving marks/scratches on the top screen

Sure, it's not as bad as desynch issues, nut still. Nintendo 3DS' design was far from perfect

If it's just sold out and delisted that's pretty terrible. This shit needs a redesign asap. A price cut too, 80$ bucks for this dock is utterly ridiculous.

Yes it's overpriced but it's beyond the point of this thread? I fail to see reason to freak out over a probably normal delisting

Maximo

Well
- the price dropped only in few months proving that it was priced too high
- the hinges made the screen wobble (my Nintendo DS was experiencing this months after extensive using, maybe even 2years)
- 3D effect was fixed in the next revision,
- the stylus was placed at the back of the device making it more difficult to take out (again, fixed in the next revision of console)
- the buttons made my thumbs ache when pressing the buttons for 20min (not sure if ever fixed)
- the design of the console was changed too - no more sharp edges
- the bottom screen's frame was leaving marks/scratches on the top screen

Sure, it's not as bad as desynch issues, nut still. Nintendo 3DS' design was far from perfect

Not to mention the OG 3DS would dig into your hands, hated using my mates just a terrible feeling handheld to hold.

I wonder if Amazon US will have another falling out with NoA over all the returned stock like with what apparently happened with the OG 3DS due to screen scratches.

Anticol

Banned
It's kinda sad that people defended this terrible designed and overpriced dock. I hope there is a way to get something in return for us who bought the switch at launch, I don't want my awitch to scratch because of this.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Haven't been on GAF much the last few days, too busy playing Horizon/Zelda, exactly what part of the dock is getting bent?

Maybe I should check mine.

The dock deffo needs to be cheaper. If you have multiple tvs in the house it would be really great to have a dock on all of them.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Thanks, I'm not able to check now but I think I would have noticed that. Slid mine in/out about 15 times since Friday and there are no scratches so far......

The only issue I have had is with the Joycon strap add-ons, getting them off is a right pain in the hole, especially when you slide them in upside down. I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about that tbh.

killatopak

Why does every excuse have "it's okay botw is great"?

I mean it's great that you can justify your purchase but it's not really helping in the hardware side of things.

If it's being officially pulled out then that's great. It's better to fix something early rather than later when the complaints are more numerous.

Dueck

Banned
I am glad I canceled my pre-order.

Has Nintendo launched a console with this many problems before? I remember the 3DS having some issues, but not to the amount that the Switch is having.

No, it's definitely the worst. The last one I can recall that was this bad for anyone was the Xbox 360 with its RRoD. While that was one big issue, the Switch has many smaller ones that add up. It was slightly worse than all this, but not by a lot. It'll depend how long it takes to get everything sorted too.

Anyway, I wouldnt mind a redesign, its been the one obviously bad design for the system (and honestly I have some issues with the pro contorller but everyone seems to love it so I'll hold off on that.) Though as someone who bought on launch day I'll inevitably feel cheated for not havin the better redesigns.

Also my right joycon started wiggling when in handheld mode :( so annoying. I'm hoping I can tighten up some screws and fix it.

$90 for the one with the charging cable and HDMI cord. $60 for just the dock itself, no cables.

This is honestly no more than $15 for Nintendo. Should be $40 max in store.

Honestly, most, if not all of the items they are selling are fairly high margin. They aren't taking losses or low profits on much.

I want the bill of materials just to see the salt flow. It's probably pretty incredible what they are making on the controllers and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom