• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is nearing its 6th month of release, come post your thoughts and impressions!

goldenpp72

It has been nearly 6 months since the Switch arrived in stores, and I would say I have gotten a good bit of mileage out of it. The ability to use it anywhere has been utilized quite often by myself, making it a system I primarily prefer to use 'just in case'. With that said, I was interested in making a topic to see what other people are feeling about the lineup, and perhaps hopefully be exposed to some other games I may not have bothered with yet. I'll start with my own summary of thoughts and hope others may throw in some opinions. All of the screenshots are posted from my own games through twitter so please mind some of the IQ. I am posting this a week in advance of the 6 month mark, and will include Rabbids impressions later as it releases in the time frame. Please note i'm not attempting to force any particular format or requirements here, so feel free to post however you like.

Splatoon 2: Grade A

A somewhat conflicting game, as someone who put a good bit of time into the original it definitely shows a lot of the same stitching, most notably in the campaign which was a disappointment in just how similar it felt. With that said the updated graphics, improvements to the ranked modes, rebalanced weapons and powers, and the amazing new Salmon Run mode still make it a definitive experience that I have put many dozens of hours into. It will definitely be my game to go back to inbetween other releases for a long time.

DIMnI1mUQAAkGUa.jpg

Snake Pass: Grade B-

Very interesting game conceptually but it has a lot of pacing issues. Back when I played it I also experienced a lot of freezing issues which resulted in total loss of all progress in a single level. Having a game where the entire obstacle were the controls was fun especially when I got proficient with them, and the later levels are far more my groove since the challenge is more so in navigating the levels, rather than searching for hours for some annoyingly hidden collectable. The graphics are nice but the resolution is extremely poor in portable mode. Again this was all back at launch, so if any of this was patched then adjust accordingly.

DIMxwwvUMAEm5PK.jpg

NEOGEO: Grade B+ (Nam 1975, Shock troopers, Alpha Mission II, Metal Slug 1 and 3, Blazing Star)

Since I don't want to rundown these individually, i'll just gloss over the technical stuff as I consider them all comparable game wise. There were definitely some mild sound issues along with graphics issues on some, but post patch they improved the situation pretty well. I'd not exactly consider them perfect emulation but they are still pretty solid and play well with the systems 2 player philosophy.

DIMyqyJUIAIL2vs.jpg

Graceful Explosion Machine: Grade A-

Despite the ugly graphics and minimal soundtrack, this is one of the better games i've ever played on a digital service. Extremely addictive and well designed action shooting gameplay, not really for casual players but if you're into action titles and shooters, it feels a lot like them combined. I'd almost call it a marriage of Bayonetta and Geometry Wars in many ways.

DIMyRsKVAAA1cHR.jpg

Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap: Grade B-

Having not grown up with these games, I found that the actual gameplay felt extremely basic and just outright primative. It's still a pretty fun romp and the graphics/music are excellent, just prepare for a fairly old feeling game with a nice new coat of paint. If you're a prior fan of the series though I can't imagine going wrong with it.

DIMqkL4UEAIAPJv.jpg

Shovel Knight Treasure Trove: Grade: A

This probably goes without saying by now, but Shovel Knight is basically the gold standard of retro throwback style indie games, feeling like a proper "AAA" game as if it was designed back in the early 90s, but with some modern sensibilities gracefully added throughout. If you haven't played it by now it's a must if you enjoy that era of gaming.

DIMqGSzVYAE8HLE.jpg

Super Bomberman R: Grade C-

The campaign is just not fun at all, the story is cringeworthy and the difficulty is all over the place, it just felt like a slog the entire time. The multiplayer is pretty fun but the online is horrible, and I don't know many people who want to do 4-8 player local battles, so for me, it was kind of a bust. The brief times I did play it local it was a good time, so I give it some credit for that.

DIMu6coVYAAhqQF.jpg

Thumper: Grade A

I consider this one of the definitive digital games out there despite the low amount of awareness it seems to garner from others. It's an extremely challenging game that requires you to invest all your senses to really master, and in turn becomes very immersive and intense to a point of becoming emotionally exhausting at times. I'd say my only real criticism with the game is that the theme/tone of it is fairly samey throughout, and lasting something like 5-10 hours for most people, can drag on a bit in turn. Still an excellent game if you enjoy this sort of genre.

DIMmMLmUMAAFew-.jpg

Kamiko: Grade B

Surprisingly fun game though it's very short lasting under an hour, it's a very strong hour and has 3 different characters to play as. Considering it has speed run modes and design it was odd to see how lacking it was in ways to record and show off your runs, but for 5 dollars it's a very nice game that is lean in content.

DIM0qIrUQAAbois.jpg

Snipper Clips: Grade B

Extremely endeering co-op title with the only real issue being the lack of content. It's one of the best games you can play with less experienced people as well. Disregarding skill though, anyone will clear the game in a brief amount of time, making it feel more like a really great concept rather than a full game. Still if you want to get your gaming or non gaming friends involved, it's a safe bet as long as they are secure with themselves.

DIMtdgwUEAAg9FV.jpg

Voez: Grade B

Pretty fun rhythm game but the music selection is pretty hit or miss to me, and the actual gameplay while engrossing at times is fairly simple. Worth a shot if you're a fan of this style of game and music though and seems to be getting free content updates.

DIMmBCAUQAAG1tP.jpg

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Grade A

Having not put much time into the original U title, I put in my full effort on this one and find the entire package quite good. Staggering amount of tracks, beautiful visuals, great music, large roster and a very well done battle mode make it one of the most rounded titles for the system and likely the best in the series. Obviously if you beat the U game to death, there isn't much new to be found here.

DIMvfbFUEAATHYw.jpg

Blaster Master Zero: Grade B

As someone who enjoyed the original NES game, I find this a really interesting take on the formula and definitely one of the best of the series. With that said the game design feels a bit unbalanced on normal mode, allowing you to power up so ridiculously that you break the game and make it a cakewalk. They have since added new modes and characters, but this is my grade of my initial run and I don't intend to return anytime soon. Very fun if you like retro style games.

DIMsyJvVwAEE4ep.jpg

Puyo Puyo Tetris: Grade A

I wanted this game the moment it was announced years ago. As someone who enjoys both games included in the package I felt it would be a sure hit, and not only did it make good on its promise in the title, it also managed to exceed realistic expectations. Including normal Tetris, Puyo and a new mode called Fusion along with a lot of variety of modes and game styles. It includes solid online and offline play options, a surprisingly funny and fully voice acted single player that takes multiple hours to finish, and is just one of the best rounded puzzle games ever made. Very good visual design and a fun OST as well, a definitive experience for the genre. The only downside I can think of is how badly I get destroyed online.

DIMl2hQVwAASD7v.jpg

Ultra Street Fighter II: Grade C

It's Street Fighter II but tweaked and altered. I didn't put a lot of time into this one as it seemed to boil down to a bunch of Violent Ken and Evil Ryu fights online, if you love SFII you'll likely keep loving it here, but nothing stands out too much about it aside its high price.

DIMuM_WV4AElR_r.jpg

Arms: Grade B

It seems like a strong party game to inject when other games grow long in the tooth, I personally haven't invested a ton of time into it but didn't find it compelling enough to try to master just yet. I do intend to return to it more so, it just feels lacking in content. If you want a game to play with friends or online with fairly easy to understand mechanics, it's worth a look. Great presentation design as expected by Nintendo.

DIMwLS8V4AA0NXJ.jpg

Overcooked: Grade A-

Quite a mixed bag, but in ways I can mostly overlook. In terms of presentation it's just horrible. It really evokes a lot of the early era XBLA style games you would have seen back in 2006 visually, very ghetto presentation with semi long load times and fairly basic music. On top of that the Switch version suffers from some framerate issues, though only really bothersome to me on the final level. This also includes 2 DLC expansions making it a fairly meaty experience. What makes it special despite all its flaws is just how great of a game it is to play. It's basically a game you have to play with others to enjoy, but in doing so you'll be granted with a game where communication, planning,coordination and twitch skill will get through one of the most enjoyable co-op titles out there. I played through all the campaign and 2 DLC expansions in 2 player and 3 starred it all taking something like a dozen hours I think. If you can ignore the presentation and technical shortcomings and have one or more people to play with, i'd highly recommend it.

DIMsCwTUMAELRAF.jpg

Sonic Mania: Grade A

A Genesis style Sonic game that feels like it has decades of hindsight to rely on. The improvements in the level design and pacing are excellent with no single zone standing out as outright bad which is rare for a Sonic title. Great OST and graphics, with the only real sin being the reuse of level themes in over half the game. Still the immense craft put into the game deserves recognition, likely being the single best 2d Sonic game ever made only coming maybe a close second to Sonic 3 & Knuckles locked on, it also has the best special stages in the series. I should note that a variety of bugs seem to exist in the game, however I only ran into a couple minor ones in my time through it, 4 runs to be exact.

DIM2bYeUEAAjJh1.jpg

Mighty Gunvolt Burst: Grade B

Similar to Blaster Master but perhaps better balanced in the difficulty while also being a bit less fun. It basically plays like a Mega Man game but with the ability to upgrade stats and powers a ton, but without the unique weapons bosses would yield. The focus of killing enemies up close is not something I personally got a grip on, but I managed to beat it while finding the majority of powerups. It's certainly not masterfully crafted or ingenious in design, but it's a fun game that marries looting systems with old Mega Man style gameplay mostly successfully.

DIMq5F5VwAAkVTR.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Grade S+

Typically i'd only grade up to an A scale, but BOTW personally exceeds traditional game parameters and stands above them all, making its way to my personal favorite game of all time next to titles like Ninja Gaiden Black or various other Zelda titles, etc. If one doesn't own a Switch or a Wii U, it's worth owning one just for it in my mind. There isn't really much a need to talk about this one though, it's likely still the primary killer app for the system.

C6qXsXFUwAElBej.jpg

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: Grade A-

Sort of an uncertain title for me from the start. I've never played a Rabbid title and am not typically interested in the SRPG genre, which made this a pretty unique experience for me. With that said it's a very well designed game with an extremely well done difficulty curve and options for experienced and novice players, tons of extra content, a large main campaign, amazing graphics and beautiful music. Some of the most epic battles in the Mario series take place in this game and it's very much worth a try for anyone curious, even if you don't do the genre often. It's not a perfect game, it starts a bit slow, the world traversal while welcome is a bit basic at times, the inability to have a map or tracker in the worlds to find collectibles is a flaw in design, and there are other little nitpicks to find. It also has some glitches here and there for some people, though i'd still consider it fairly polished, just not quite to the Nintendo standard. I also enjoyed how unique the theme design was and the blending of the Rabbid and Mario designs into one package, really a must have for the system and easily within the top releases of the year.

DI7CYAHUMAAT53L.jpg

It's a great step forward for Nintendo and if they can keep the software output strong it'll be a strong contender this generation. I love mine and I'd buy more games if I wasn't in the middle of a life transition, getting a new job, having to buy a new car, moving and getting married atm.

Zelda was one of the best games ever. The hardware is solid.

Have barely played it the system after I beat Zelda....just sitting there in sleep mode 99% of the time the last few months.

I like using my Switch, I just wish there were more games to play on it.

Having put in over 200+ hours into BOTW, whenever I pull out the Switch on the train now, it's just to play a round or two of Mario Kart or a level in Sonic Mania. You can only do that so many times before it gets boring.

epmode

Really, I just want a Tropical Freeze port.

I'm a fan of the console. It's a big improvement over the miserable Wii U and I've found myself repurchasing old games just so I can have them on a handheld system.

If only Nintendo released games faster. And made a virtual console with permanent ownership (none of this upgrade fee nonsense). And fixed their stupid account system that's still mostly tied to hardware unlike EVERY OTHER account system. And provided a way to move and back up save files. And and and.

Have barely played it the system after I beat Zelda....just sitting there in sleep mode 99% of the time the last few months.

Same. I dabble with Mario Kart here and there but that's about it.

Excited for Mario/Rabbids and then of course, Odyssey.

andymcc

Banned
I'm pretty happy with it. I can safely say it's the most satisfied I've personally felt with a Nintendo console in some time. Not only does the form factor guarantee it gets the most play out of all of my current platforms, it's just a nice feeling device. If it only had the breadth of VC titles that the original Wii had, I could safely call it my favorite console they've put out since the NES.

In it's short lifespan, there's already SEVERAL games I've put more than 5 hours into. Even more surprising is the amount of games with 40+ hours (Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2...)... I hate feeling like one of THOSE people, but I understand why everyone asks for ports to the damn thing: it's so convenient to play games on. I remember when I was playing Persona 5, the whole time I kept thinking, "gee, I wish I could play this on my Switch".

Renna Hazel

Definitely shaping up to be the best first year for a system. Switch is now my primary gaming platform and I love it.

mhayes86

It's been sitting on the shelf unplugged since I finished Zelda and Kamiko, but i plan to eventually buy Sonic, and am looking forward to Mario Odyssey.

For the time that I was playing it, I absolutely loved it. The dock and portability modes are a god send to gaming as an adult.

Needs VC, and the Nintendo's tent-pole IPs i.e. Smash, 3d & 2d Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing.

What I've sampled so far - BotW, MK:8D, Arms & Splatoon demos - has been downright incredible. The Switch is a spectacular platform, but the content Niintendo's backing it with really extols why there's nothing quite like it on the market.

Getting more indies aboard would really bolster the library. Can't wait for Stardew Valley and Gungeon,

Zelda is great. I'll tell you more once in a couple of days I get my second game on the device, Mario Rabbids. Disappointed it isn't preloadable, tho.

Zalman

I get at least one new game every month. Been playing Sonic Mania on it lately and I love it, especially in handheld mode.

All the Nintendo first-party stuff is great, but the biggest surprise for me has been Puyo Puyo Tetris. I've played that game way more than I expected.

Mario + Rabbids comes out in just a few days and it sounds like that will be great too.

Mesoian

In short:

The joycons are bad for big hands and their lack of ergonomics make my hands hurt after about 20 minutes. The software is there in a big way, I just wish the default method of playing was more comfortable.

Gator86

As a person who owned a WiiU and owns all of the current gen consoles now, BotW was terrific and MK8 is still fun. Nothing else has made me turn it on. It's equal parts Nintendo exclusive machine and dust magnet.

Oh yeah, the Joycons are also fucking terrible and probably the worst default controller in modern console history when in the grip/feel made for toddlers out of the grip. Just appalling bad. Pro controller is great though.

SomTervo

Just had a 2 hour flight and a 1 hour train journey.

Felt like about 15 mins total, hunting for shrines and ruins in late-game Zelda.

At home i pop on Sonic Mania or Binding of Isaac on the loo or while waiting for food to cook/drinks to brew.

My gf and i play Mario Kart 8 DX on flights/trains or on the sofa.

With family we put on 1, 2 Switch on a big screen and laugh.

In Barcelona on a rooftop terrace during a festival we put on 12S and played it as a drinking game on a hot summer night.

Glorious, glorious machine. Only going to get better.

I'm happy, never had a wiiu. Would immediately return it if it didn't have the pro controller.
Mainly bought it for MK8/Splatoon online but Zelda is a nice surprise. It will only be used for exclusives, oh and the lack of VC is disappointing. Grabbed a snes classic and a retropie, don't really care about it anymore.

sinonobu

Banned
It's one of my favorite systems of all time but needs more Japanese game announcements.

Hoping for Fall Direct & TGS announcements

Same. I dabble with Mario Kart here and there but that's about it.

Excited for Mario/Rabbids and then of course, Odyssey.

just Odyssey for me.... then Xenoblade. Then hopefully they have stuff for soon after.

Thankfully there's tons of PS4 stuff keeping me busy and there will be in 2018 as well.

Air

Banned
Definitely Nintendo's most appealing console to me. A great balance of content so far (just needs more of it) while keeping to their core philosophies of doing things different but not alienating people. Due to the flexibility of the console I've played more games this year than I did during college and if they can keep the content coming the little console will get a lot of use out of me.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
got one in april. fell in love with it but after about a month it crapped out and had to return it. i miss zelda and was looking forward to mario kart/arms/splatoon. but it's still hard to find stock.

i'll probably just wait for the inevitable hardware revision before picking it up again.

TheMink

Looking forward to more single player games. I do enjoy Splatoon but it's insane amounts of cutscenes and focus on multiplayer makes it difficult to justify turning it on to just play for a little bit. So mine has been semi dormant since Zelda.

Would love to see more ports, never played Tropic Freeze. Never played Xenoblade Chronicles would love an HD port before the upcoming sequel. Smash.

For the love of god Nintendo VC please.

It is my favourite bit of kit at the moment

Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Wonderboy, Sonic Mania and Mario Xcom on tuesday. Gaming nirvana.

As soon as the first must play RPG (looking at you Xenoblade 2) drops my forever love will be confirmed.

Nosgotham

best system in a long time for me. currently playing implosion and thumper and both are perfect for on the go gaming.

Might be my favorite system form factor wise. It is a joy to play. If we get Virtual Console and Monster Hunter in English it will be my favorite system of all time.

Chessr

Atm my gf and i is on vacation to cyprus. We Play Mario kart in the bar or on our terrace Before bedtime :)
She Also like splatoon with the roller.
Anything else is a no go lol.

Absolut the 2nd best Nintendo console (we all Know GC is best)
And the best console this gen imo

Best Nintendo hardware in years, a bit disappointed by third party support so far (I had too much expectations) but this platform is perfect for my lifestyle.

B_Signal

I got mine with Splatoon so it's very recent for me. I like it as a machine, I've almost exclusively played it handheld, but I feel I'm not getting the most out of it because of the cost of everything.

I'm not buying indie games for it because they're cheaper elsewhere, I'm not picking up the games I've missed because they're still full whack. I'm taking it on holiday with me soon but I've not bought a 2nd controller yet because I'd rather a Pro but another pair of Joycons are what's required for that one instance. The lack of a decent dpad is why I've not bought more Neo Geo games too

So I dunno, I do like it but I think the criticism of it is valid. Over the course of its life it's going to get used an awful lot

goldenpp72

In short:

The joycons are bad for big hands and their lack of ergonomics make my hands hurt after about 20 minutes. The software is there in a big way, I just wish the default method of playing was more comfortable.

While this might not be helpful for all, I found the battery charge grips Nintendo sells for them aided the comfort quite a bit for me. I use them for Splatoon and rarely cramp up from them versus constantly without. Having to buy an add on is not ideal but, something to consider if you plan to put in long hours.

sn00zer

This is my concern.....I havent owned a Nintendo system since DS, and previous to that was GB Color. I'll be getting a switch almost purely for backlog purposes, but they still wont talk about VC.

Basically looking to replace my Vita....speaking of which any Vita Switch users here?

pswii60

Switch isn't really for me (I don't play portable) but I grabbed one anyway because of BotW. I'm pleased to say I really enjoyed BotW and both it and Horizon are probably the only two open world games I've ever enjoyed.

Aside from a bit of Blaster Master while on summer holiday, I've barely touched it since I completed BotW. There's been nothing coming out for it that interests me since (that isn't on PS4) and so my PS4 Pro gets all the play time. It is also like going back in time to the last generation when playing docked too, especially after getting used to Pro on my OLED. But I'll definitely be getting Super Mario Odyssey and Metroid Prime 4 is my most anticipated game on any platform.

MajorTom

When I use my switch I love it, but I also haven’t used it in at least a month.
It’ll get more use when Mario comes out

liquidtmd

Banned
I've played on one for a few hours I don't own one.

It's a very nice piece of kit but as a PS4 owner, I can't justify it currently based on what's there. I like the games that simply won't make it across to it too much.

I played Wonderboy and Mario Kart on it. Looked gorgeous. Had a good enough time, a price cut and the arrival of Mario Odyessy may pull me in to invest early '18. I can see it having more third party legs than the Wii U, but not by a lot.

painey

I bought one and have never taken it out of the box. Big mistake; I got hyped on his rarity and not the fact there are no games I want. I'm either gunna sell it, or wait until Mario comes out and sell it after I beat it.. but won't even buy Mario until they add the feature to export your account.

diaspora

on its way to be GOAT handheld but th current output is strong. I'm actively playing Sonic Mania, Thumper, Phantom Trigger, Zelda, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Cepheus

Having put in over 200+ hours into BOTW, whenever I pull out the Switch on the train now, it's just to play a round or two of Mario Kart or a level in Sonic Mania. You can only do that so many times before it gets boring.

Buy Disgaea 5. I bought it on impulse in a supermarket and I'm loving it. It's a huge time-sink and great to play on the go because it's single-player and turn-based so you don't have to concentrate on much like you would playing Mario Kart or Splatoon 2.

I keep saying this but I have more games for my Switch now than the amount of games I ever had on my Wii U. It feels so much more satisfying to use.

tbm24

I love my switch, I just wish I had more reasons to use it. I was super excited for Sonic Mania and I ran through it prettt damn quickly. Really just want more games and the virtual console. Like all I want is to play super metroid on it. I already own it as a VC title, cmon Nintendo!

Triteon

Its Ok. Zelda was a good time, i have fun with puyo and Splatoon as well.

However the promise of the system (to me) is in it being a Vita successor and sit hasnt had the time to get the japanese support yet, but i think itll eventually happen.

Negatives so far are that it is a bit too big to be a portable and while its getting enough games they arent really the kind i want. Really looking forward to odyssy and xeno tho.

Haano

My impressions.

Had it since release. The only games I thought were worth purchasing were Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon 2. for those it was good, however after you finish them the switch becomes dead in the water.

After a week from Splatoon 2, the Switch went back into the case and under my bed. I cannot justify buying any of the other games, I am now holding out for Skyrim.

Logash

I love it. I pretty much skipped Nintendo the last two gens because I wasn't a fan of motion control and that tablet controller felt too damn uncomfortable. I owned a Wii U and played Smash mostly but now I think Nintendo finally got it right for me. It does everything that the other systems did but that stuff is all hidden well by one of the best controllers Nintendo has ever made and traditional buttons on the console itself.

Then there is Breath of the Wild which I know is on Wii U but it was the launch game I picked up for Switch. The moment I came back from picking up my Switch at midnight and played that game for 5 hours straight I knew I was in for something special. Seriously, I haven't played a game all night since I was kid and that is exactly how I felt when I played Breath of the Wild.

Combine that with me playing Mario Kart 8 and Arms plus Shovel Knight and Sonic and it has been a pretty busy first year for the Switch. Now, only 8 months after, we are getting what looks like the first traditional 3D Mario games since Galaxy and it looks incredible! Oh and let's not forget Xenoblade 2, a sequel to one of the only two Wii games I have actually beaten, and man I am so happy with what's going on with Switch.

jariw

There are currently something like 110 released Switch titles (100 was passed during the Sonic Mania release week) and very few of these are shovelware, so "more games to play" seems like a strange thing IMO. Games like Ironcast, Thumper or Disgaea 5 seems perfect for the train, for example?

Hasn't been much for ME, since launch. But there's plenty of stuff I'd snag if I had the extra money for them. Xeno 2 and Mario will bring me back in though.

It's a fantastic console that delivers on its hybrid concept. I mainly play docked myself, but the other modes work super well too. As for games.. I love playing Zelda (current GOTY) and MK8 with my niece but that's about it. I don't care about anything else right now so it's getting a bit dull. Mario Odyssey looks great though, and I'm still hyped for Xenoblade despite some lackluster trailers. Overall I'm very positive about the platform and its future.

JordanKZ

It's a wonderful little machine that I am buying way, waaaay too many games for.

It's a machine you can take out of the house that has the best Mario Kart, probably the best Zelda, a whole host of great indie games, Splatoon 2 is even better than the first (minor kinks aside)... Oh and I was lucky enough to get Mario/Rabbids super early, and it too is just stella.

If Xenoblade and Mario play as good as they look, it'll be an amazing first year for the machine.

Top Bottom