• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is nearing its 6th month of release, come post your thoughts and impressions!

xabbott

Still only bought Zelda for it and barely played it. I'm more excited about Mario's release. I think I've actually played this less than the Wii U in the same amount of time. I don't travel much though so that could be why.

I love it more as time passes. In 6 months I played Zelda, Snipperclips, MK8, ARMS, Tumbleseed, Splatoon 2 and Sonic Mania. All great games, made better by the fact that the machine is also portable.

zigg

In short:

The joycons are bad for big hands and their lack of ergonomics make my hands hurt after about 20 minutes. The software is there in a big way, I just wish the default method of playing was more comfortable.
I have gigantic hands and find them to be quite nice.

I do wish the click sticks had more travel, though.

Realeza

Banned
Still only bought Zelda for it and barely played it. I'm more excited about Mario's release. I think I've actually played this less than the Wii U in the same amount of time. I don't travel much though so that could be why.

You are missing out dude.

90 hours in Puyo Puyo Tetris
70 hours in ARMS
25 hours in Bomberman
20 hours in Mario Kart
10 hours in Splatoon 2
Played for a little while Zelda

I've definitely got my money's worth so far!

I'm legitimately excited for the future of the Switch. I bought my friend's from him on Friday and spent most of the day yesterday playing BotW in my living room hanging out with my roommate and his buddies. I love the versatility. And since I work full time and am in a grad program, I don't need a huge game library. I have Zelda, will pick up Splatoon, and just preordered Rabbids. I hope more games from the WiiU library make it over since I skipped that console.

Finalizer

Sonic's PC delay accelerated by decision to pick one up, and luckily I happened to check Best Buy's website just when some local stores got 'em in stock. Well, kinda sorta local... Damn things disappeared from the nearby BB while I was driving to it, so ended up going on a little adventure to pick one up a little ways out. Anyway.

Playing Sonic on it has been immensely satisfying.

Really thinking about getting Shovel Knight for it, but a buddy of mine had a bit of a pause at the idea of playing with that (non) D-pad. Any folks here wanna weigh in? Also, what's the likelihood of it going on sale? Not that I'm strongly opposed to paying full price for it, but just in case there's a good chance I could save a few bucks just waiting a bit, honestly I've no clue about the frequency of Switch software sales.

Would totally double-dip on Cosmic Star Heroine if it ever showed up on the Switch. Probably some others that I can't think of right now.

Otherwise, I'm waiting on Odyssey, as I figure most everyone else in this thread is, heh. Might get BotW at some point I guess, though the Zelda + Skyrim sentiments I've seen do nothing for me. Should probably give it a fair shake and delve into some reviews though. /shrug

EDIT:

In short:

The joycons are bad for big hands and their lack of ergonomics make my hands hurt after about 20 minutes. The software is there in a big way, I just wish the default method of playing was more comfortable.

Admittedly I've not used the sticks for much since I've been playing Sanic, but I have wtfhueg hands and I've been pretty comfortable with playing the Switch tablet-style for hours at a time.

Has Nintendo said anything about being able to backup/transfer save files yet? Or does the Nintendo online thing maybe have cloud saves?

Clearos

I don't have a regret that I got a day 1 purchase. I feel the pro controller is solid and the switch is currently doing a great job as "my wife is watching boring shows console" as PC takes up a majority of my gaming time when she goes to bed.

I'm surprised on my game selection. I got bored of Zelda around 6 hours in but I put a majority of my time into Has Been Heroes and Shovel Knight. Both games are available else where but having them on the switch is nice for the portability and I see myself ignoring indie games on my pc while I wait for them to get a switch version.

overall I'm pretty happy with my purchase and will get more excited once brawl and a few other titles come down the pipe line. Hoping for NBA or Fifa to be really good so I can have a sports destiny to play.

The only reason I wanted one was to play MH XX and it's not being localized, so since you're asking, OP, my impressions of the Switch is: 100% worthless right now. :(

At least my boyfriend was happy with Zelda I guess...

Did you at least download the XX demo?

It's better than nothing, and my Switch would just be collecting dust if I didn't have that and PPT demo to play.

Really thinking about getting Shovel Knight for it, but a buddy of mine had a bit of a pause at the idea of playing with that (non) D-pad. Any folks here wanna weigh in?

I actually like the "d-pad" surprisingly... I've never had any problems with it, and I can play Shovel Knight, Sonic Mania, and especially Puyo Puyo Tetris really fast with it and not accidentally hard drop my Tetris pieces by pushing up, lol.

The Pro Controller's d-pad FEELS good, but for some reason it actually sucks. :( So I use a Pokken controller to play d-pad heavy Switch games on TV if I need to, because that has a great d-pad.

Zelda and Splatoon 2 are two of my favourite games ever.

MK8 was already my favourite Mario Kart and the Deluxe version is a worthy upgrade.

The Switch has been well worth the purchase imo.

cireza

Got the console at launch. Only bought two "big" games (Zelda and ARMS) and both disappointed me.

Not interested by Splatoon, Mario Kart etc... because I have a Wii U and played the games or previous games already.

I was looking forward to Fire Emblem Warriors, sadly now that they have unveiled that the game will be based on the recent games, I am not interested anymore. So there is nothing for me this year (I will be taking Sonic Forces on Xbox One).

Smaller games have been very nice to play on the system, especially Strikers 1945, Neo Turf Masters, Sonic Mania, Shovel Knight, Cave Story and Dragon's Trap.

The console itself is fine. I play on a table with a stand and the Pro Controller. Best way to play in my opinion.

18-Volt

Bought at launch day with Zelda and have bought nothing since. All the stuff released have been way too uninteresting for me. I'm still waiting for a actual game for this system (stuff like Arms and Sonic Mania aren't for me), anything could do. But it looks like either NBA or FIFA will be the next game I'll buy. Until then it'll continue gathering dust.

What I love about the system: System itself. It's such a gorgeous handheld with a bueatiful screen, it's such a joy to hold it between my two hands. Even if I don't have any games to play on this, I hold it and pretend playing one of the future games. Why am I doing this? It's hard to entertain yourself in toilet alone:D

What I hate about the system: Splatoon. I hate everything about it but I hate how it's the only thing the Switch owners talk about even more. Inklings are no different than Minions in my eyes and I love to hate them. It's Docomodake or Shin Chan level annoying Japanese design. Mario Odyssey can't come soon enough and end all this splat talk.

What I hate about the system: Splatoon. I hate everything about it but I hate how it's the only thing the Switch owners talk about even more. Inklings are no different than Minions in my eyes and I love to hate them. It's Docomodake or Shin Chan level annoying Japanese design. Mario Odyssey can't come soon enough and end all this splat talk.

I'll feel bad for you when the first character of the next Smash Bros. is revealed. You think the Splatoon talk is bad now?

its my favorite gaming system i own of the new(ish) generation

i can easily see it becoming my indie go to, which, along with nintendo games and the occasional 3rd party release (skyrim, rayman, mario & rabbids) means i should have plenty to play and keep me busy

future looks good too, with pokemon, bloodstained, mario odyssey, and more.

phanphare

Banned
Bought at launch day with Zelda and have bought nothing since. All the stuff released have been way too uninteresting for me. I'm still waiting for a actual game for this system (stuff like Arms and Sonic Mania aren't for me), anything could do. But it looks like either NBA or FIFA will be the next game I'll buy. Until then it'll continue gathering dust.

What I love about the system: System itself. It's such a gorgeous handheld with a bueatiful screen, it's such a joy to hold it between my two hands. Even if I don't have any games to play on this, I hold it and pretend playing one of the future games. Why am I doing this? It's hard to entertain yourself in toilet alone:D

the splat talk will never end! muahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Protome

I'm loving it so far. The big games like Zelda and Splatoon have been fantastic and then there have been enough indies to fill in the gaps. Even if they indies are on other systems, I've been either rebuying them on Switch or buying them for the first time on Switch instead of PS4/PC/XB1 because of the added bonus of portability.

Only major bummer for me so far? The online. The app is unusabley bad. Whatever nonsense compression it's doing to make it sound like a phone call from the 90s is the worst (fun thing to do: Turn on a podcast/music and open the app on Android and hear it compress that audio too...) And you can't even hear audio + chat through the same headset without a y splitter. Fucking terrible.
It's all shit that should be built into the console and also done better.

As a primarily PC gamer I absolutely love this thing, far more than any of the other consoles I've owned recently. One of the best first years thus far in recent memory. Zelda, ARMS, Splatoon 2, and Mario Kart have all been great to amazing, Mario + Rabbids looks like it'll be great, Mario Odyssey looks like it'll be amazing, Xenoblade 2 looks great. Despite so many good games so quickly it doesn't seem to be letting up with Kirby, Yoshi, Fire Emblem and possibly Pokemon coming next year that we know about. It's the first system to get me to purchase indie games on it instead of PC due to the portable nature of it. the 2 player using the joycons aspect works super well in my experience. Once Virtual Console drops it'll probably be my favorite Nintendo console.

Red

I would love for Switch to become my indie machine, but so far prices aren't as attractive as they are on Steam. I've skipped Isaac, Cave Story, and Shovel knight; will likely skip Meatboy. Really would love to play these games on Switch, but can't justify the cost. I have Axiom Verge preordered because I have not yet played it. I may buy Rime. I don't see much else on the horizon I'd be willing to part with cash for.

If I had more free time, less responsibility, the Switch would ruin me.

It's weird to see people say "I haven't touched it since Zelda".
Consider buying Splatoon 2 or something. It's pretty great.
If you just want single player games consider the rabbids game coming out on Tuesday or maybe something from the eShop.

I feel like this has been one of the best console launches I've ever experienced.
Wii U had NSMBU and Nintendo Land from Nintendo and basically nothing for 4 months till Lego City Undercover. By this time we still hadn't gotten Pikmin 3 on Wii U and the OS was terrible (still is, kind of)

3DS had SFIV at launch....that's it until June with OoT3D. DIdn't really get good until the end of the year with 3D Land and MK7.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm struggling to think of a console with a better launch year. PS2 for sure, but beyond that? GOTY level Zelda game, what looks like an incredible Mario game, Splatoon 2, the impossibly good looking Mario + Rabbids, Xenoblade 2 for the holiday, super strong indie support out of the gate....easily the happiest I've been with a console purchase

I'm very happy with these first 6 months, much more than I was with the PS4 and XB1 in the same period (I didn't even buy either of them for over a year after they're launches).

Zelda was a fantastic launch title and I'll be replaying it once the final DLC is out for it.

I didn't love Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U, but the improvements they made in DX (true battle mode, extra boost, and holding two items) made a big difference with me and it is an amazing looking and playing game in handheld or on the TV.

Splatoon 2 is a huge amount of fun. I never played the first one. Halo 3 was probably the last multiplayer shooter I played a lot of (just got tired of them) but Splatoon is a huge amount of fun and I'm enjoying unlocking new gear and weapons.
The single player is also surprisingly fun too.

LEGO City Undercover was a game I always wanted to play, but I didn't really want it for the Wii U. The LEGO games make great handheld games and even with the chunky framerate in the open world area, it's still a lot of fun and there's a huge amount of content I still have to do.

I also got a few smaller indie games:
Slime-san is a really well made Super Meat Boy style platformer. Haven't played much of it, but it doesn't seem as ridiculously hard as SMB, and it has added mechanics that are fun (like slowing down time and passing through certain walls).

Tumbleseed is a weird game that I got since I was kinda interested in a rougelike for the system and I had some extra money in the store (and it was on sale!). Controls are very weird, but it has a surprisingly amount of depth. I'm glad they lowered the difficulty a bit, but it's still not an easy game. Haven't played much if it, but I'm sure it'll be one in pick up for a few minutes every now and then.

So yeah, overall there has been no shortage of games on the Switch. I was a bit disappointed in Arms when I played the test beta. I just didn't like how it controlled, sadly.

I can't wait for when Stardew Valley comes out for the Switch, I've waited since it first came out to play it on a portable system and it seems like it's finally close.

Mario+Rabbis looks surpringly fantastic, and I also can't wait for Mario Odyssey.

The Switch might end up having one od my favorite launch years of a system. If not ever, it definitely kicks the ass of most consoles in the last 10 years in the same time frame.

With Zelda, SnipperClips, Mario Kart and Splatoon they're 4 for 4 IMO.

And I'm sure Mario Odyssey is going to be incredible.

So far, so good.

Atheerios

Poor guy...

16d.gif

Dyle

Love it, easily my favorite launch sytesm. Splatoon is great, the UI is by far the best I've used on a console, the eshop has had tons of demos, and handheld play is awesome. My only complaint thus far is that I think Arms fucked up the stick on my left Joy-con, it squeaks loudly and doesn't feel good to press, if they could have just mapped block to L or some other button it would be near perfect

My wife hasn't played a video game system since the original Wii. And that was only occasionally. This is the first system that we have All played (me,wife, kids)z

Edit, we've put over 150 hours on the switch since July 24th. All docked

Deadstar

Wish it wasn't a handheld and that it had more power. I may have played it undocked once. The rest of my 40+ hours in Zelda have been on the tv. Why would I play in handheld mode when I have a huge tv?

Haven't turned it on in over 2 months. It's collecting dust until Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Was thinking of playing Severed on it, but decided to play The Darkest Dungeon instead.

VanWinkle

It's pretty good. The joy con controllers are not great and feel like a compromise when used as a console. As a handheld I enjoy the big screen. Zelda is cool, MK8D is great and beautiful, and Sonic Mania is perfect on it.

I just hate how barebones it is. With my other consoles I'm using them all the time, whether I'm playing a game or not. I have no incentive to use the Switch. There's nothing social about it, there aren't any media applications, there aren't trophies and other fun statistic tracking, etc. There's just nothing to on it unless you're playing a game.

Overall I'm disappointed in it. But as a handheld it shows a good amount of promise.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The Nintendo Switch is the only system that can play the spiritual successor to Superman 64

Vroom in the Night Sky....BUY IT, OWN IT, LOVE IT, GOTY!
images

Overall, slight let down so far. LOVED Mario Kart (skipped Wii U) and enjoyed Zelda (not nearly to the extent of many others, but a solid game) and none of the other games have really grabbed me so far (played Splatoon and Arms). I'm also not really a portable gamer at all.

Literally half the reason I bought a Switch was I assumed the Virtual Console was a no doubt part of the console and I've been jonesin' for some old school Nintendo games. I have no interest whatsoever in buying or participating in Nintendo's shitshow of classic consoles and it's frustrating to not hear anything about the Virtual Console. Switch will probably be gathering dust until late October when I'll be thrilled I do have a Switch for Mario Odyssey...but after that, no idea what I'm looking forward to playing on this console.

Sponge

Banned
I've had my Switch since launch and I love it. Most of my playtime is at home undocked. Very similar to how I used the Wii U gamepad, which was perfect for playing games in bed. I've brought it with me to a few conventions and had a lot of fun playing it there.

I've taken my time with Zelda since I enjoy playing it in small bursts. I only have the Gerudo town left to beat.

Played through Snipperclips, Snake Pass, and Sonic Mania completely and they were all fantastic. Splatoon 2 and Arms are great mutiplayer games. Still need to pick up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Jackbox Party Pack 3 is a perfect fit for the system and great to play when my family is visiting.

Hyped for Mario Odyssey, Metroid Prime 4 and Kirby. Hoping we see Smash and Donkey Kong in the near future.

steveovig

I've enjoyed it a lot and have played it more than the PS4 and Xbox 1 since March. It has become my go-to console since I love being able to take it into the bedroom when my wife wants to use our main tv.

I've put most of my time into Disgaea 5 at 110 hours and then Zelda at 80 but I haven't finished that yet. I really enjoyed Blaster Master, Bomberman, and Mighty Gunvolt and the continued DLC and updates for them all. I got tired of Puyo Puyo after I got frustrated not understanding how to get better. I've barely put any time into Cave Story and a few hours into Snake Pass and Wonderboy and I think that covers everything.

The Switch seems to have the potential, IMO, of having the best game library any Nintendo console has ever seen. More and more announcements keep coming and I love it!

ZugZug123

Splatoon 2 on the go makes me so happy. From the indie side: Graceful Explosion Machine, Kamiko and Tumbleseed are all great games.

Patiently waiting for Stardew Valley to release and then bye bye real life.

As someone that doesn't have a Switch yet but is planning on getting one I think Nintendo is doing a good job with their output so far. Hell I even own some Switch games even though I don't have the system yet because of first print games coming with extras and its cheaper to get a Nintendo game day 1 with prime discount than later since they don't go on sale. I'm just waiting for the price to drop because $400 CAD is too much for me.

Top Bottom