• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is nearing its 6th month of release, come post your thoughts and impressions!

Enthus

I enjoy the hardware itself, and Nintendo's first-party support has been great. This is probably the most local multiplayer I've played on a console in 10 years.

However, I do have several issues. The fact that Virtual Console has yet to have a presence on the system is embarrassing considering that it was launched alongside the Wii in 2006. The Switch is the perfect retro game device, yet Nintendo is content making us wait a year with only NES titles announced.

Additionally, I really do wish the majority of released games that have been major first-party releases weren't multiplayer focused. I have enjoyed my time with them, but I am really looking for another Zelda situation where I can just sit down by myself for hours and play. Hopefully Rabbids provides something to this effect, and obviously Odyssey will as well.

And of course, the online is an embarrassment for 2017. Terrible connection issues and the app itself being such a stupid idea.

EDIT: I also am not a fan of how big the dock is for portable use, so I'm buying one of those third party ones instead. I'm not sure why Nintendo made such a huge chunk of plastic for the dock.

eXistor

Decent system, though very clinical in its feel, especially compared to the WiiU which was imo just fun to use (though a bit on the slow side). Software-wise pretty disappointing as of now, though I have faith they'll bring the good in the coming years. Zelda is a classic and it's cool to play Neo Geo games on it, but Arms was a major letdown for me and Splatoon 2 was...just more of the same; pretty safe and boring sequel if you ask me. M+R looks like fun, but strategy games aren't usually my bag, but we'll see.

I have 100% faith in Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2, those'll be the first exclusive games to really buy a Switch for and like I said, the Switch is only just beginning its life, so I'm very excited to see what the future'll bring.

Metalmarc

Had mine for almost 2 Weeks now, I am very happy with it, seems like waiting on it until the Summer was a good move because only now having it just for 2 weeks puts me fresh for everything, by the time my 6 months of owning the Switch, it will be past Christmas, so we will see, but by then there will be more games.

Anyway onto my thoughts of Switch

I bought one, and I have to say I am glad I did cos its my most played console the for past 2 weeks, even though I only have 2 games as thats all I could afford this month, and a couple of Demos.

Let me say having the actual console & having Demos is fantastic because when i saw Snipperclips on Youtube I was like meh, but actually tried the Demo and now i want it, also Puyo Puyo Tetris Demo made me want that game, and the same with Arms, had Zero interest but today downloaded the testfire Demo, only managed to get onto the practice mode with my GF, online didnt work, but we still had a lot of fun, and now i am considering buying that too, that would have never happened if i hadn't tried it, and also played it the way I wanted too, with the Joycons but like traditional controls.

Also Sonic Mania wasn't on my Radar but I only could afford one full price game this month, but had enough for a cheap >£20 game and was advised to pick Sonic Mania, glad I did cos it's really good

Having the ability to play Docked or Handheld or Tabletop mode as and when I please is so great, I mean it looked interesting on T.V but until you try all 3 ways of playing in person, I don't suppose you apreciate it.

Now I want to buy Zelda, Bomberman, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Snipperclips, Splatoon 2, possibly Lego City and a few Indies in Sept/October and also Fifa and WWE when they come out, also I wasnt sure about Mario Oddessy, but now I want it, there's enough choice of games there to see me through until Christmas/January for sure, actually come to think of it the announced Resident Evil Revelations & Rocket League ports are what made me solidfy my need for a Switch as i wanted these for a portable device again

Next month I want some accessories, this is the something that bugs me a bit is the price of accessories, the Joycons are so expensive & gamepad too (what i heard about the Doad is a real shame), but I am glad there's plenty of accessories available, and there are 3rd party options so thats great.

My only complaint really, if you can call it a complaint, is the fact that you can only charge the Joycons attached to the console, but that can easily be solved by buying a charger grip or battery pack things

I really recommend buying a Switch if your on the fence, you won't regret it, well if you check the games list like I did, theres at least 9 I listed above I have on my List before to buy before December.

Indelible

I primarily use it as a home system and it is easily my favorite Nintendo console since the Gamecube. It is a system that is just fun to play on, the opposite of the Wii U.

I own the following:

Physical Games
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 9/10
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ - 10/10
Puyo Puyo Tetris - 9/10
Splatoon 2 - 4/10

Digital Games
Snipperclips - 3/10
Master Blaster Zero - 5/10
Vaccine - 8/10

I absolutely adore my Switch, and I carry it everywhere. By far the most wonderful feature about it is how accessible it makes multiplayer. Saying "Hey, you want a quick round of Puyo Puyo?" and managing to do so effortlessly warms my heart.

Oh and taking console games on the go with me? Divine. I wish there were more games that appeal to my aesthetic and pop cultural sensibilities, but it's not even a year yet so I can wait. But I'm happier with my Switch than any moment I was with the Wii U and that's good!

I'm still incredibly salty about no achievements and no activity log, though. Both I would consider to be mandatory and make buying multiplatform games almost never worth it.

Have mine for a couple of months now, only bought Zelda and Mario Kart so far. Looking forward to the two Mario titles coming out this year, but besides that, there are no games available for my taste. To be more precise, not even games in the pipeline, besides maybe Pokemon, although I never played a Pokemon game in all my life.

What really worries me is the more than underwhelming 3rd party support so far. It is just sad that a game like Secret of Mana is remade for PS Vita (which I also own), but not for Switch, despite SoM being one of the best SNES games and the Switch's success in Japan.

I've played Zelda once (!) in docked mode, but never used that mode again. For me, the Switch is a 100% mobile console.

taoofjord

I adore my Switch and think it will definitely end up the running for top 3 game consoles ever. I love the hardware and the flexibility it offers, which I use in full. It also has what I consider the best first year lineup in a modern console release. I've has an awesome time with Zelda, Splatoon 2, Arms, Mario Kart 8, Snipperclips, Sonic Mania, and quite a few more (Severed, Super Bomberman R, Shovel Knight...)

I like it. Don't love it. It's pretty large for a handheld so I have to actually consciously think about it when putting out on my backpack when traveling. Do I wanna sacrifice the space for game? It's a minor complaint though.

I hate the super pricey accessories. Can't wait to have the Nyko dock so I could use it in my bedroom as well.

Games... Well I played Zelda which is the first I ever liked. Mario Kart is alright. Neo Geo titles and Ultra SF2 are keeping me busy for the most part which is funny since there's no d pad.

Edit: I forgot Sonic Mania which is nice to have as a companion to the PS4 one.

Giolon

I love it. It's my favorite system currently. The flexibility between portable and console is too good. It makes me feel like I'm anchored when I play my PS4 now. The games it has already are great.

I am annoyed though that more 3rd parties aren't hopping on board w/ quality releases, especially the Western developers. Even some Japanese releases are conspicuously absent (Mega Man Legends!? Secret of Mana remake?!). I can't believe there isn't money to be made. I mean they're releasing SoM on Vita for god's sake.

Been bored with it, once I finished Zelda (which was fantastic) I haven't had anything to play that's interested me, hopefully Mario and Rabbids turns out good and Mario Odyssey later this year. Other than that it's just been sitting in it's dock collecting dust. I hope to find some games that interest me as I really like the system itself for the most part.

Scoops

Banned
Needs more games (and it looks like it'll have a very strong Fall/Holiday) but I love it as a piece of hardware.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the hardware, I just wish the joycons were way bigger for my hands?

Software? UGH I've spent like $250 on games and so far Sonic Mania and Puyo Puyo Tetris are the only games I don't actively dislike. It's such a bummer. Mario-Xcom and portable nba2k are the only reason I haven't given this thing away in frustration.

So far for me personally it's Vita 2.0 in all the best and worst ways except I expect the software to not stop in 6 months, (and no remote play until someone hacks the shit out of it please that would be so good).

Kawngi

I've had an excellent time with it overall. I own Zelda, MK8D, ARMS, Sonic, Splatoon 2. ARMS got old faster than I hoped, but the rest are all great. Super thankful for the Pro controller too, joycons cramp my hands hard.

It's been worth it for me for Mario Kart with my son. Racing each other with pro controllers on a plane was wonderful.

I've also liked Jack Pack, Strikers, Isaac, and Shovel Knight. What little Sonic I've played was good. Most likely picking up Rabbids for my next trip.

Zelda wasn't for me. And it's uncomfortable for me in handheld mode, so that's disappointing.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Coming back from 3 weeks vacation and the Switch is my favorite system of all time. I brought it with me at my renting 400 meters from the sea and played Splatoon 2 multi-player all the time through my 4g hotspot. Amazing. Tomorrow I'm back to work with Mario and the crazy rabbits waiting for me, until FIFA launches :)

The Switch has changed the way I play games. Despite a lot of PS4 games I'm interested in and even bought I rarely play it because the Switch is so convenient. I love the convenient and versatility of the Switch and it will likely be my most played console despite the amazing PS4 library.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Enjoying it a lot, and having four joycons means we actually play four players as a family sometimes now - mostly Mario kart but bomberman too.

My biggest issue is that the joycons are still sometimes flaky which disrupts the flow of a game when someone's kart drives off the track because it isn’t picking up the signal. And this is on a supposedly repaired joycon.

Also thank goodness the kids go back to school soon. Might actually be able to take it for my daily commute

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Have put it into a digital cart to buy online twice since launch and backed off both times from going forward.

Just still not seeing the incentive yet(already have BotW on Wii U, most indies on other platforms, and was pretty burnt out of Splatoon and MK8 on Wii U).

Big musou fan, but FE isn't really exciting me from footage. Mario and Xenoblade 2(maybe Rabbids) will likely be the big ones that get me to jump aboard. Even then, I'm debating what HDMI port I give up for it and the mere fact that I am even worried about something like that is a sign that maybe this isn't a console for me right now(especially for only 2, maybe 3 games). [though nightstand play is intriguing]

TB12

Banned
Time to bring the virtual consoles to the switch! All of them!!! Maybe wiiu VC or 3ds VC?

So far i only have 3 games
- Zelda A+
- Mario kart 8 A
- Sonic mania A

This year gonna get mario+xenoblade chronicles 2 en mybe rabit...

Jagsrock

Banned
Love it.ive used it far more than any other console. Hand-held mode is bliss. The fact I can just pop it out the dock and play on the couch or in my bed is fantastic. Taking it to friends house is as easy as ever.Freaking love the joy cons, its so satisfying to be able to simply hand one over and start playing with a friend. (Shovel Knight has been an absolute blast) I have yet to even get a pro controller but I look forward to trying out what everyone calls the comforts thing ever. Game wise I've been satisfied but I'm def ready for more so it's good we got a steady stream coming over the next few months. Botw & splatoon 2 alone have made the system worth it but now with mania and the steady flow of indies I really can't complain. The future is bright for the switch.

breakfuss

Glad you made mention of Puyo Puyo Tetris. Really has been a surprise joy for me and barring Zelda, my favorite game on the system. Brilliant!

Bulbasaur

Banned
I've got about a hundred hours on Splatoon 2 but other than that everything else I want to play on the system, I've already played on Wii U. I wanted to fall in love with Arms but it just didn't happen.

The form is sleek and the OS is snappy, I look forward to other web apps that will eventually become available. But mostly I'm just freaking so glad that Nintendo is back in form and I'm envisioning a ridiculously large and varied software library like the ds had.

I love my Switch, but I'm still angry that it's defective and can't read game cards. It's a digital-only future for me. Oh well.

I only have Zelda, Mario Kart, and Sonic Mania on it. Next game will be Super Mario Odyssey.

Giolon

I love my Switch, but I'm still angry that it's defective and can't read game cards. It's a digital-only future for me. Oh well.

I only have Zelda, Mario Kart, and Sonic Mania on it. Next game will be Super Mario Odyssey.

Just call Nintendo for a repair?

Raysoul

I got mine on Japan without entering a lottery.

I still need more money for buying games, but I like how the library is doing in the first 6 months.

It still needs more support from big 3rd party publishers.

Overall, I'm happy with my Switch.

Neonep

Mine is still sitting in the box, unopened since I got it 2 months ago. I plan on getting Mario Rabbits, hopefully it's good. I know it has only been out for 6 months it needs to have a more diverse catalog.

Faiz

Got mine about a month after launch. Put about 20 hours on Zelda. Put it down for time issues.

Picked it back up a few weeks back. Up to about 85 hours now. Still the only game I've played on it but now I want everything on it. :/.

I dunno, kind of want one for the exclusives but the hardware bums me out. I can live with last gen graphics but sub 1080p resolutions look terrible on my 4K set.

ScaredHitless

Neo Member
My grades and impressions so far. Needless to say I'm very happy with my purchase! I probably spend about 80% of the time playing it in handheld mode.

Legend of Zelda - A

I haven't enjoyed a Zelda game since A Link Between Worlds, so this one was a pleasant surprise for me. This is the perfect game for my flights.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - A

I was a little hesitant to pick this up because I played the Wii U version to death (at least 100+ hours). I'm glad I did because portable MK8 is just amazing. I've relived that rooftop party scene from the original Switch trailer several times. I regularly bust this out during picnics and outdoor events.

Arms - C-

Arms was one of my most anticipated games, so it hurts that I didn't enjoy it that much. This game just never clicked with me, despite me trying on dozens of occasions to give it a shot. Online was a mess during launch since everyone would teleport and throw spam with that one character.

Puyo Puyo Tetris - B

The demo was great, so I made it a priority to pick this one up ASAP. In fact I even paid extra to tether to a hotspot while I was on the Italy coast just so that I could download this. Very fun and a great puzzle game - gave me serious vibes of my favorite Tetris game ever (Tetris DS) and was fun to play with friends

Sonic Mania - B

Been a huge Sonic fan my entire life so I'm glad to see a return to form for 2D Sonic. Had a lot of fun with this one but ran into several show-stopping bugs. Worth it for the $20.

NBA Playground - D+

NBA Jam is one of my all-time favorites so I knew I needed this game. Unfortunately it didn't scratch that itch quite the way that NBA Street did. No online at launch, weird rebound physics and slow pacing (it takes forever to inbound the ball between baskets) sunk this one for me.

1-2 Switch - D

I bought this with the hopes of having another Wii Sports like hit that I could use to entertain the family. Unfortunately it doesn't quite capture that magic. The most redeeming quality is that the Marbles game is a neat demonstration of HD Rumble.

Bomberman - B-

Best Bomberman I've played in 10 years, and a very welcome surprise. The post-launch patch really made this game worthwhile - a fun party game that I'm glad to have in my collection.

zXe

I just don't play it anymore, put a solid 80 hours into zelda botw, played mario kart a little. haven't really played or gone back to any games. It just sits on my desk. Actually considering selling and getting PS4 instead. I love the switch console itself let me say that though. And the pro controller is beautiful. Best controller ever.

Majmun

I'm not into Arms or Splatoon. But I'm still enjoying the console thanks to Mario Kart. It's always a blast when other people are around, and they never want to play anything else.

It's been worth it for me for Mario Kart with my son. Racing each other with pro controllers on a plane was wonderful.

I've also liked Jack Pack, Strikers, Isaac, and Shovel Knight. What little Sonic I've played was good. Most likely picking up Rabbids for my next trip.

Zelda wasn't for me. And it's uncomfortable for me in handheld mode, so that's disappointing.

It's excellent for families. From local multi player to the ability to switch to handheld mode so the wife and/or kids can use the TV.

As far as the hardware is concerned, it's amazing. Playing the Switch in bed or on a plane is so cool.

For software, it's mixed. Zelda and Splatoon 2 have been great, ARMS was okay, but the system really needs more single player games. A lot of the first party games have been multi player focused.

AzaK

My overall rating of the Switch is about a C. It's the console I'll pick up and play on occasion when I feel like Splatoon but little else; it's already gathering dust.

Arms was a D - I have pretty much not played since the first day or so

Shovel Knight - A (But I could have just played it on PC and gotten same enjoyment)

Splatoon - B. It's OK but I really feel like I've played it before. Not enough different to 1.

Snake Pass - D. Wonky controls and camera.

Minecraft - Well, it's Minecraft so it's great but I have it on 2 other platforms anyway. Nothing special about the Switch version.

If I had have had to fork out lots of my own money for Switch I would be very disappointed (It's an expensive console IMO)., Thankfully I didn't so I'm not too upset, I would just like some better games on it,which I'm hoping will come with Mario Odyssey and of course Metroid Prime eventually.

I am not a portable gamer so playing old games portably holds no value. I've played a lot of the games before or can get them much cheaper on PC. It also seems people are bringing over their less-than-stellar games so the shop looks like a bit of a dumping ground.

I'm contemplating Mario+Rabbids but it does look really shallow so far. I'd need some good depth in building squads, managing tech and good enemy AI.

Hilarion

Puyo Puyo Tetris is not only my favorite game on the Switch (by far), it's a real contender for my game of 2017. Nothing else I've played in years scratches the same itches Puyo Puyo Tetris does and it makes me wonder why we don't get more puzzle games. It's really annoying that people consider puzzle games an inferior or less worthy genre when they're some of the best stuff out there.

Wedzi

Banned
Eh? What could be easier than sliding it into a dock and you're done? No boot up or anything?

It's more for taking it over to other people's houses without having to lug around the dock. There've been a couple of success kickstarters for a dongle that just plugs into the HDMI on the TV then into the Switch but nothing official.

Sizzel

Fan of video game and fan of Nintendo(not a fanboy meaning- blind to any faults). I canceled my preorder and I am very thankful I did. Despite stock issues, I am still glad I didn't buy it.

So far it has been only Indies, rehashes of WiiU games I already own and some mid-tier filler games. Not to mention the just general ports/collections. A pretty standard launch year. Granted, BotW will be on GOTY, GOTG and maybe even GOAT lists in due time... It is a WiiU game and that is where I played it. I am pretty excited to see what Xeno 2 and Mario Odyssey bring to the table. Metroid sold it all over again for me, but those games might push me over the edge early. I have all other consoles and a 1080ti so the non-first party/exclusive games are of no interest to me.

Depending on what the future brings, I am comfortable saying this will land at least Gamecube -N64 sales levels. The mobile franchise being ported over will be the difference maker and could skyrocket it as the niche console. This would bring 3ds lifetime numbers. 6 months with conservative demand estimates leading to stock outs and scalps... is too soon to tell anything. ..good or bad. I hope for the best though. With another good Zelda, a good Mario or two, Zeno 2 and Metroid. I feel like the system is a success. I loved WiiU for Bayo2, DKTF, Mario Kart and SMBW3D though. It was worth my money.

Cutebrute

The Switch has definitely changed my gaming habits and there is still a fun novelty to using it. The act of docking the device or attaching the joycons is so satisfying and it has a distinct Nintendo charm to it, even if the OS is void of personality or features. It was neatest experience last week getting to play multiplayer games with my girlfriend while
flying to Houston and flying straight back.

I love tabletop mode so much more than I could have ever anticipated. I have my dock in the living room, but I like to put my Switch up on my PC desk quite often. The games I've played have generally been great, but have lacked a little staying power with me, with the clear exception of Zelda. Even still, this is the generally the strongest line-up Nintendo has had in a long time, and it will only get better. And the third party line-up, while sparse, is really fitting for my tastes and I'm excited to finally use a Nintendo console for non-Nintendo games. I'm really looking forward to this holiday season.

Seik

Banned
I like it a lot, I think I already played more than 100 hours on the thing and bought more games than any other console launch ever. The portability factor helps a lot, I carry it pretty much anywhere.

This pic is my most recent one, when I received my import of Spelunker. Next one is when I'll receive my copy of Mario + Rabbids in two days! :D

20170827_193432ewun3.jpg

Mr_Moogle

So far I'm pretty happy with the software. I own BOTW, Splatoon 2 & Sonic Mania. All these games are excellent. I will eventually get MK8 and I'm considering Rabbids depending on reviews.

Switch hardware is pretty nice. Doesn't feel cheap like the Wii U.

The Pro Controller is awesome.

My only gripe with the Switch is probably the dock being a cheap, plastic piece of bullshit.

Also battery life could of been a little better in handheld mode.

Top Bottom