• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is nearing its 6th month of release, come post your thoughts and impressions!

BruceCLea

Banned
Zelda is one of the best games of all time. Can't wait for Mario. Love it. The hardware is great. Wish it had better battery life. Needs Virtual Console, like really bad.

Nice thread, like the idea and good work sharing screenshots and thoughts.

Mine wont go into that detail, but here is a summary for me.
Firstly, on a hardware level:

+ Love the weight and feel of the system handheld, play 99% in HH mode.
+ Beautiful screen!
+ Joycons feel quality
- No Dpad

Software:

+- Finished Zelda on Wii U, did not get it for Switch
+- Love the concept of Splatoon, suck at shooters when not using keyboard/mouse
+ Quality neogeo ports, saved my interest in the console at this time
+ Downloadable demos for Nintendo's (and others) games
+- indie titles
- No Virtual Console
- Lack of premium 3rd party titles so far
- Wheres Netflix, Youtube, Internet browser...?

Thats my experience so far.

That's why we love splatoon. Not good at shooting/offense? Just roll and paint, you can still help your team

Possibly my favourite piece of gaming HW I've ever bought. Just waiting for more good SW to play on it. Also desperate for smash bros to make its way onto switch.

Persona7

Banned
- Terrible battery life
- Lacks basic software features
- Pro controller has a flawed D-Pad
- System itself seems poorly made. Cheap plastic, creaking, expanding. This extends to the joycons as the paint/finish is peeling even with limited use
- Online infrastructure is partially implemented

They definitely pushed this thing out about two years too early. Quite possibly the worst device I have ever chose to purchase early. Not going to make that mistake again.

- Terrible battery life
- System itself seems poorly made. Cheap plastic, creaking, expanding. This extends to the joycons as the pain is peeling even with limited use

They definitely pushed this thing out about two years too early.

ddzzD.gif

jrDev

- Terrible battery life
- System itself seems poorly made. Cheap plastic, creaking, expanding. This extends to the joycons as the pain is peeling even with limited use

They definitely pushed this thing out about two years too early. Quite possibly the worst device I have ever chose to purchase early. Not going to make that mistake again.
Wait, if this is not a joke post, I'm pretty sure most of those were known before you could purchase? Also pure hyperbole, paint coming off Joycons? Creaking and Expanding? Receipts!!!

I'm liking it but a lot of my friends got burned hard from the Wii U, and the Nintendo hasn't won them back yet despite the strong year.

One friend will buy it if Xenoblade 2 doesn't get delayed to next year as delays have been a bane since he's still waiting for spider-man on his PS4

Vinc

Zelda was breathtakingly fantastic, and the hardware itself feels nice.

I don't have as much interest in the other games that came since, and I can't imagine having it as your only console, but it sure is a nice side-system, as opposed to the Wii U,

spelen

- Terrible battery life

These are Legit issues with the device but I think they do not hamper the experience as nd the system ain't poorly made imo. Save for that flimsy stand I suppose.

I'm liking it but a lot of my friends got burned hard from the Wii U, and the Nintendo hasn't won them back yet despite the strong year.

One friend will buy it if Xenoblade 2 doesn't get delayed to next year as delays have been a bane since he's still waiting for spider-man on his PS4
Spider-Man never got delayed....

The hardware and the software is a 1-2 punch of awesomeness.

Breath of the Wild is arguably the best 3D game ever made and Splatoon raises the bar for FPS/TPS gameplay and game design. So it's been quite special so far.

I won't try to answer for them, but there are plenty of valid issues with the eshop in comparison to other services. The layout is messy and limited sorting options wise, while neither of the consoles is perfect the Switch definitely takes a loss here. I don't like navigating it at all and rely mostly on either my prior knowledge of a title or recommendations from others to determine what to look for.

I love the system itself but it does leave a lot to be desired in certain areas still.
Sure, I agree it could be a lot better

Jintor

i feel like it's the console i've played the most in the last few years. it's certainly the one i feel msot comfortable with since not every game session has to be 'i'm going to sit down at the tv for half an hour or more'

honestly there's a lot of flaws but the actual user experience is generally pretty good, so i don't mind too much

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
- Terrible battery life

Would love to know who made this review.

Did you know that the screen is really bright that it still look really good under the bright sunlight? That's one big plus for me since I mostly played it outdoor.

Plus:
+ Modular built, I replaced the speakers with the high quality one and it is really easy as plugging it to the connector. With my new speakers it sounds really loud and with good bass.
+ Simple UI
+ Multiplayer on go
+ Really cool system, it's not as warm/hot as smartphone when you're playing a game with intense GPU/CPU usage (Zelda)
+ NeoGeo emulators
+ Good screen!

Minus:
- Lack of third party big games.
- Still without complimentary apps like Netflix, Youtube, Twitch or Spotify.
- Barebones OS

Jigorath

Banned
Super cool system.

Zelda is one the best games of the gen, up there with Bloodborne and Persona 5.

I also like the joycon grip a lot more than I thought I would.

I wanna add one thing that I do have that pro controller d-pad issue, where you push the center in for a wacky misinput waiting to happen...someday It just works fine even if it's not solid as it has been. I would've love a symmetrical stick pad ala Dualshock or Wii U Pro again.

Spider-Man never got delayed....

Back in 2016 Gamestop had it for December 2017 which made him thought it would be this holiday season. But he was still upset there was not a solid 2018 date either.

Salarians

I like mine, best screen protector i've ever owned for any device, actually makes the touch screen more pleasant to use as well. Other than that, be sure not to hold the system from just one side as it puts pressure on the system and can break it. Most wouldn't do that but, apparently a couple have.
Thanks!

- Terrible battery life

Does feel a bit early. I think they could have made the Wii U last until 2018 if stuff like Zelda, Mario Odyssey, and Splatoon 2 were coming out for it. We would have probably gotten a Tegra X2 or better chip.

Love mine. Play it undocked most of the time, though at home (I just prefer laying down when playing games).

+ Fantastic screen
+ Quick interface
+ Joy-Cons are actually feel great in their grip.
+ Great sleep mode with little battery drain
+ Graphics are such a step up above the 3DS
+ Great games, haven't really been left wanting to play something new as a major release has been released monthly since May. The lineup is actually very solid despite the lack of AAA third party games.

- Terrible battery life
- System itself seems poorly made. Cheap plastic, creaking, expanding. This extends to the joycons as the paint is peeling even with limited use

These are all valid complaints and anyone who denies them are kidding themselves.

- I'm still left wondering when a substantial software update will come out since the OS is so barebones.
- The eShop is awful compared to the Wii U's and even the 3DS's.
- I don't understand why Nintendo's online experience is still so terrible, the fact that they decentralized online features from the system itself is baffling. I really don't understand why it was impossible to form a group with my friends and manage to go against strangers in Mario Kart 8. Miiverse also should have stuck around, that's like the one good idea Nintendo ever had with its online. It's almost insulting that they're making us pay for this half assed service early next year.
- I had to mod my pro controller so that its d-pad wasn't garbage.
- My joy-cons' finish has rubbed off in some areas from normal use. They look like grease stains but I don't eat and play games at the same time.
- The system warping from heat and the dock being poorly designed to handle the cheap plastic screen means are some design flaws. Creaking is also present on my device.
- The lack of VC is really, really annoying. I feel like we won't ever see it either.
- The speakers are pretty bad, worse than my 3DS's and Wii U gamepad's I'd say.
- The lack of analog triggers kinda annoys me since it means certain ports of games will have to be altered or gimped in an inconvenient way (Rocket League or a hypothetical Gamecube VC).
- I wish the system could have come out a bit later if only so that it could have gotten slightly improved hardware. Splatoon 2 looks really great for the 5 seconds that it's 1080p, and I'm a bit disappointed that many games in docked mode seem to be targeting 900p or even less. I'm not asking for PS4 graphics, just better IQ, and I really hope that a revision could address this (though I doubt it).

** The battery life is objectively bad but I understand why. I'm actually impressed it's as good as it is.

When it comes to games, Zelda and Splatoon 2 are by far my most played. I loved Mario Kart 8 but its undeveloped online means that I sorta just got 3 stars for every cup in grand prix, did some time trials, and stopped playing it after about 40 hours. ARMS disappointed me quite a lot. I feel like it needs to be faster pace and have more movement/attack options since its core gameplay seems very shallow to me. Sonic Mania needs a patch for its home button issue (and bad icon too lmao). Looking forward to Mario Odyssey and Rocket League. Might pick up Rabbids, Skyrim and FIFA, but not sure yet. Really wish a Smash Bros. port came out this year.

I'm also interested in the future of third party releases. I think it's evident at this point that Switch has a pretty high attach rate, with many titles seemingly selling well on the system even if they're low effort ports or have a Switch tax, though some publishers (Capcom and Level-5 especially) still seem unsold on the system. It's especially odd in Capcom's case because they were the ones who requested more RAM for the system. Weird.

Azriell

I love my Switch. I was determined not to be one of those people who let it collect dust after Zelda, so I've bought and played a bunch of stuff. I've completed Zelda, the two Shovelknight expansions, Wonderboy, Kamiko, Mr Shifty, and Isaac (although you can't really count it). I believe I own 15 Switch games.

Unfortunately, it's been collecting dust for about 2 months and I moved back into PS4 Land. In anticipation of Mario vs Rabbids, I decided to try to finish XCOM 2 (I think I'm pretty close). I also got the Switch out the other day bc I thought Mario vs Rabbids was coming out on the 26th. I've been playing Graceful Explosion Machine since then. I'm also trying to love Oceanhorn, bc I should, but I just can't get into it.

plufim

One of the greatest system launches I've ever partaken of. And for once, the support really seems to be continual.

jb1234

I haven't really touched it since Zelda. I'd rather play indies on the PC and I'm not an online gamer so Mario Kart and Splatoon aren't my thing. Just waiting for Mario and Xenoblade 2 at this point.

Love mine. Play it undocked most of the time, though at home (I just prefer laying down when playing games).

+ Fantastic screen
+ Quick interface
+ Joy-Cons are actually feel great in their grip.
+ Great sleep mode with little battery drain
+ Graphics are such a step up above the 3DS
+ Great games, haven't really been left wanting to play something new as a major release has been released monthly since May. The lineup is actually very solid despite the lack of AAA third party games.

These are all valid complaints and anyone who denies them are kidding themselves.

- I'm still left wondering when a substantial software update will come out since the OS is so barebones.
- The eShop is awful compared to the Wii U's and even the 3DS's.
- I don't understand why Nintendo's online experience is still so terrible, the fact that they decentralized online features from the system itself is baffling. I really don't understand why it was impossible to form a group with my friends and manage to go against strangers in Mario Kart 8. Miiverse also should have stuck around, that's like the one good idea Nintendo ever had with its online. It's almost insulting that they're making us pay for this half assed service early next year.
- I had to mod my pro controller so that its d-pad wasn't garbage.
- My joy-cons' finish has rubbed off in some areas from normal use. They look like grease stains but I don't eat and play games at the same time.
- The system warping from heat and the dock being poorly designed to handle the cheap plastic screen means are some design flaws. Creaking is also present on my device.
- The lack of VC is really, really annoying. I feel like we won't ever see it either.
- The speakers are pretty bad, worse than my 3DS's and Wii U gamepad's I'd say.
- The lack of analog triggers kinda annoys me since it means certain ports of games will have to be altered or gimped in an inconvenient way (Rocket League or a hypothetical Gamecube VC).
- I wish the system could have come out a bit later if only so that it could have gotten slightly improved hardware. Splatoon 2 looks really great for the 5 seconds that it's 1080p, and I'm a bit disappointed that many games in docked mode seem to be targeting 900p or even less. I'm not asking for PS4 graphics, just better IQ, and I really hope that a revision could address this (though I doubt it).

** The battery life is objectively bad but I understand why. I'm actually impressed it's as good as it is.

When it comes to games, Zelda and Splatoon 2 are by far my most played. I loved Mario Kart 8 but its undeveloped online means that I sorta just got 3 stars for every cup in grand prix, did some time trials, and stopped playing it after about 40 hours. ARMS disappointed me quite a lot. I feel like it needs to be faster pace and have more movement/attack options since its core gameplay seems very shallow to me. Sonic Mania needs a patch for its home button issue (and bad icon too lmao). Looking forward to Mario Odyssey and Rocket League. Might pick up Rabbids, Skyrim and FIFA, but not sure yet. Really wish a Smash Bros. port came out this year.

I'm also interested in the future of third party releases. I think it's evident at this point that Switch has a pretty high attach rate, with many titles seemingly selling well on the system even if they're low effort ports or have a Switch tax, though some publishers (Capcom and Level-5 especially) still seem unsold on the system. It's especially odd in Capcom's case because they were the ones who requested more RAM for the system. Weird.

You sure there isn't something wrong with your speakers? My Switch definitely has speakers much much better than either the Wii U or 3DS.

You sure there isn't something wrong with your speakers? My Switch definitely has speakers much much better than either the Wii U or 3DS.

I guess I was exaggerating a bit, they're not *worse* per se, though they are definitely quieter than my 3DS. My n3DS XL gets pretty loud in comparison to my Switch's and are about the same quality wise.

Estoc

I love it, but I feel rather than getting a Switch lite down the line, we'll be seeing Switch i, and at that time, I wonder if I will be willing to pay for the upgrade.

I have Monster Hunter XX, Zelda and Splatoon 2 on it right now. Zelda, with its better combat and puzzles, is much better than my experience with Bethesda's recent open-world entries(without mods).

Coda

I love the hardware, and I love how solid and snappy everything feels when using it. I can't wait to play more games on the device at the moment though, Arms and Neo Geo games have been the only things I've really been playing at the moment.

Looking forward to play the Azure Gunvolt Striker pack this upcoming week. But overall my only thing I'm waiting for is more big releases of genres I'm more into. Basically I need Platinum Games or FromSoftware to make a game on it until I'll be fully content in owning one.

GEM doesn't really excel here. If you were just running through the game it wouldn't take long to beat, and as far as I know it doesn't have much in the way of post release content. With that said, I rarely score attack games these days, but found doing so in this game extremely compelling due to its systems. Basically an S+ ranking requires a perfect run, though scoring higher requires different things too. It's not an easy game though, which makes it a bit unfriendly to some people.
Post release content in and of itself isn't a huge deal for me (although it certainly helps) but I figured as much. Thanks.

Norse

My local best buy here in Minnesota had 12 switch units on the shelf at 330 this afternoon....wrapped with antitheft devices so they were real. Not sure how many they had to begin with as best buys ad for this week has the switch in it.

It feels like a weird ass hybrid that doesn't know what it wants. Even most of the pros could be cons depending on how you look at it. I haven't touched mine in months. Hopefully that will change with mario. This thing needs virtual console, bad.

PWNGEoftheGODS

Neo Member
I've had one since launch day and I love it. I barely turn on other systems anymore. All I do now is jump between Minecraft, Zelda, Arms, and Splatoon. I want everything on the switch.

So far im loving it and every month i have had something to play on it and that trend looks to continue the rest of the year. Also the first year lineup has been fantastic i already own

Splatoon 2
ARMS
Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
Shovel Knight
Ultra Street Fighter 2
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mincraft
Binding of Isaac
Snake Pass
Blaster Master Zero
Fast RMX
Snipperclips
I am Setsuna

and got these pre-ordered for the rest of the year

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Pokken Tournament Deluxe
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
and i will pick any cool lookign indie games that come out.

The Hermit

Just had a 2 hour flight and a 1 hour train journey.

Felt like about 15 mins total, hunting for shrines and ruins in late-game Zelda.

At home i pop on Sonic Mania or Binding of Isaac on the loo or while waiting for food to cook/drinks to brew.

My gf and i play Mario Kart 8 DX on flights/trains or on the sofa.

With family we put on 1, 2 Switch on a big screen and laugh.

In Barcelona on a rooftop terrace during a festival we put on 12S and played it as a drinking game on a hot summer night.

Glorious, glorious machine. Only going to get better.

Is this an ad?

It feels like a weird ass hybrid that doesn't know what it wants. Even most of the pros could be cons depending on how you look at it. I haven't touched mine in months. Hopefully that will change with mario. This thing needs virtual console, bad.
I know a lot of people have expressed that, but I don't really agree. Battery life and size aren't too different from the 3DS. You'd need a bag for the 3DS anyways so the extra size is appreciated.
As a console it can make some great looking console games. It's weaker, but that likely wouldn't been the case for a Nintendo console in any case.

Lady Gaia

I’ve owned mine for weeks and have yet to play a single game on it. That streak ends Tuesday with the arrival of Mario + Rabbids, and I can’t wait!

The hardware seems reasonable enough but I didn’t buy it to use as a handheld, so it’s something of a clunky compromise in design. It will be worth it to play an array of unique titles that Nintendo creates and inspires, though, and the trade offs in design will be 100% worthwhile if Nintendo follows through and releases all of their new titles on the Switch alone. So ask me again in a year and I’ll have a more rounded answer to the question.

(I played Zelda on my Wii U while waiting to see if the Switch would get traction.)

Port begging is so gauche I know but I really wish a certain game rhyming with Tetroid was coming out on Switch so I'd have an excuse to buy this thing a month early.

Only bought Zelda, MK8DX, Cave Story+ and Binding of Issac. Dropped Zelda after 2 beasts, played a little of MK8, finish Cave Story+ 1st ending, around 10hs of Issac. So far, pretty good console, plan to buy Mario Odyssey for the rest of the year

CrisKre

It's brilliant. As a system, probably conceptually my favorite ever.

The first year schedule has been on point as well. Well deserved smash hit.

MoonFrog

I am happy with the look and feel of the device. I am happy with the concept. I am happy it is off to a promising start in terms of hardware sales. I am happy that there does seem to be great interest among Japanese developers. I am happy that Nintendo has found a way forward and so has the domestic Japanese console market.

I do wish I'd used the system more. I used it obsessively for Zelda and really enjoyed the hybrid functionality. I've played a couple smaller games (BM, SHGH, and Puyo Puyo) since then, but mostly I've been gaming elsewhere (on 3DS/DS, PS2 on PS3, PS4, PC). I don't regret the games I've played elsewhere and I always am using older consoles (DS/PS2 games in this case), but the Switch is a device I want to play more.

(I do think the multiplayer suite they're building is impressive and good strategy; I'm just not in for that atm)

Got one at launch for Breath of the Wild. Only recently picked up Splatoon 2 which is only my second game for it. In a vacuum it is a very good console, but it's lineup for the most part is drawing my attention away from the stuff I want to play on other consoles.

Top Bottom