• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is nearing its 6th month of release, come post your thoughts and impressions!

Deft Beck

There are already some fantastic games out for the Switch, but the lack of a lot of basic functionality for a modern handheld (browser, mainstream streaming apps, dedicated voice chat) are unacceptable.

Haunted

I love it.

Areas of improvement for me:

- bluetooth headset support
- more high-quality games such as BotW (feels like I see a bunch of phone ports and NeoGeo games every week)
- more roguelike (i.e. repeatable, burst-style) games like Isaac or Gonner (Enter the Gungeon will be ace, Spelunky would be the tits, also NEW games in the genre pls)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I do wish the bumpers/grips were easier to put on and remove. Family still has issues with them. Just give me simple clip on ones - we aren’t throwing the controllers around, we just want a more comfortable grip and shoulder buttons.

kaydigi

Great 1st party titles so far, but I think I'm done buying Unity made indies on it. Overcooked's port is garbage, the PS4 version runs smooth and has a placement indicator. Why didn't the switch have it?

Blaster Master right now is still my game of the year, that title was excellent.

I love Zelda. I’m scared that the Switch isn’t that fun in a world past Zelda. Most other positive points I’ve been used to thanks to psvita and pspgo....

I hope that the new Mario will be awesome.

Bit, still loving Zelda <3

Zelda: +++++
Mariokart 8: +++
Sonic: +++
Kamiko: +++
Wonderboy: +++
Snipperclips: +++

Pachimari

It was a very fine machine. It felt great in the hands and I liked the user interface. Zelda was stunning, Mario Kart played as great as ever, although Puyo Puyo Tetris didn't work as well on the joy cons. I actually sold my whole Switch collection a week or so ago, as it mostly collected dust, and I had no urge whatsoever to return to it. I might take a look at it again when Pokémon and hopefully Animal Crossing comes around.

TDLink

The hardware is good.
The software is good and about to get even better in the next couple months.
The OS is incredibly basic and really needs a lot of work.
The eshop is incredibly basic and really needs a lot of work.
The online infrastructure is incredibly basic and really needs a lot of work.

-hadouken

potd-baconnotdoneyet.jpg

ehead

Just got one yesterday. I was mildly surprised at the size of the screen, thought that it was bigger and thinner. Had some trouble putting on the tempered glass. Bought a $70 prepaid card and bought Breath of the Wild. Will finally be able to play it tonight. Impressed at the screen's brightness, and the snappiness of the OS. I just noticed one thing so far. Do the joycons really wobble when attached to the screen? I noticed my left joycon had some minor wobbling when in handheld mode.

aznpxdd

Really, the perfect system for people that are on-the-go. The Switch has made all my flights/trains/ride so much more fun, especially playing multiplayer anywhere with my GF.

Pila

I like it, I have Puyo Puyo Tetris and Splatoon. Thing says I played 40 hours of PPT and 45 Splatoon, guess it's fine. Cross-gen stuff and ports, I bought them on the Wii U.

I'm a sucker for Nintendo games so I'm sure I'm gonna enjoy the Switch a lot, I loved the Wii U as well, still playing it.

The only thing that I really dislike is the incoming paywall for online gaming :( I don't want no app but I wouldn't use a built-in voicechat as well, I don't care about voicechat, I'm not gonna use it.

I just don't feel like subscribing to some Nintendo service in order to play Splatoon, not gonna be happy with the paywall. You want money to lemme play some p2p with my own internet, gross. :/

Oh, Netflix would be nice but I can use my TV remote natively with the PS4 so I guess I'm not switching anyway =P

Fun times ahead, pretty sure about it. Nintendo is always on point with their software.

soco

Zelda is really the reason to own it.

Honestly, I'm not that impressed with it, and am very disappointed by the catalog 6 months out. Many of its issues could be fixed, but HD Rumble will forever be a disappointment.

Garegga

Neo Member
I thought it would replace my handhelds (3DS and Vita) but the Switch is just too big, shaky and that battery...

And I'm not that satisfied with the games, maybe because I own a WiiU and I don't like most MP-games (Arms, Splatoon).

kennyamr

Zelda is my 2nd favorite game of all time.

That's all I have to say about the Switch so far sadly. (still waiting for the Virtual Console)

Wow it's been that long ha?

I jumped in few months late and I only bought Zelda ans MK on it so far.

Zelda BotW: Grade B-
Loved the world and mechanics
Graphics, story and characters were meh.
Good game overall.

Mario Kart: Grade A-
Loved every bit of it!

Can't wait to play the Rabbids game. It's the reason I bought the Switch.

aravuus

It's alright. Played 30 hours of BOTW on it which was solid fun and haven't touched it since. Now I'm just waiting for Mario and Xenoblade 2.

I can't really bring myself to feel any disappointment towards the lacking library either, cause it's pretty much what I expected of a Nintendo console. I've only got like 4 or 5 games for the Wii U despite owning it for years lol.

Pretty lukewarm on it.
I have no issues with the hardware but the library is really lacking. I have 3 games so far, zelda, mario kart and sonic, not for the lack of trying mind you.
Will probably get mario rabbids by exchanging the two game cards i have.
After that mario odyssey is a must, 2anted to buy battle chasers but its twice as expensive on switch so nope, also getting xenoblade.
After that, besides pokemon which i have mild interest in just to see the graphical transition, i dont care for any of their upcoming games be it the musous, or fire emblem or metroid or kirby or yoshi.
May sell mine after xenoblade 2 unless they announce they announce some great at tgs(like smt/no more heroes coming in 2018 exclusively to the switch, i dont think either of those facts are so far confirmed) .
That or xcx and bayo 2 remaster. Or a mistwalker game.
Not trying to hate on it but ill just be better off buying a cheaper better variant at the end of the gen since im not much interested in the current lineup.

flattie

As far as first years go, it's hard to argue (stock issues aside) that it has been anything other than strong.

I've only got Zelda and Mario Kart, but have had enough fun with them to not feel like I jumped in too early. Zelda in particular, although I'm not quite as in awe of it as many others.

Only Mario really has my attention for the remainder of the year. I'm not a fan of the Rabbids, so won't be going there any time soon.

I really quite appreciate the feature-lite OS. I don't need a browser or media apps. It's basic and snappy - I like it that way. I find the laser-like focus on games to be one of the biggest charms of the system.

And of course, Metroid Prime 4. That tiny E3 snippet was enough to secure my interest in the console over the mid-term. Well played Nintendo.

I've not bought one yet, since there aren't enough games right this second to make it worth it, but I've already been convinced by Nintendo doing so will be soon enough.

Honestly, it's the fastest I've been sold on a Nintendo system since the GC. Really impressive after the Wii, WiiU and 3DS were all about as appealing as a damp fart at the moment of orgasm for their first year or more.

patapuf

Zelda was pretty good and it's suspend feature is great.

I uh... haven't used it for anything else. The e-shop seemed to have poor filtering options, but it's not like there's much to filter atm (and every game is expensive on there).

It'd be great if i could use it as e-reader or to at least stream videos.

Though my brother is having big issues with his WiFi reception with Splatoon 2. Gets kicked from matches all the time. So i'm unlikely to buy much MP stuff in the future.

sphinx

the piano man
I don't own it and a couple of months back I was very hyped, thinking about buying it on Q4 with Mario Odyssey in stores.... but my hype is dwindling down.

I played zelda at my friend's, not thrilled by it, the tablet feels like a toy and not very comfortable and everything feels so... barebones. Games and accesories are ridiculously expensive too.

I will buy it sooner or later because Metroid Prime 4 is a thing that exists but I think I will wait till mid 2018 and see how things pan out, 2017 is just too early.

I am hoping for some more Square Enix, Capcom and Konami exclusives.

It's a great system. I think it has Nintendo's best first year lineup since...I dunno, SNES?

One thing I'm worried about though and it's not something I see being talked about much. Zelda is the main reason the system has taken off worldwide. A game like Splatoon 2 has really launched the system to great success in Japan, but in the rest of the world, it's been a big, epic single player game that has driven sales.

And yet, I have a feeling Nintendo will miss this and instead put most of their developers on MP-focused titles for the majority of the system's life (with some obvious exceptions, like Odyssey, Xenoblade, and Metroid Prime).

I think multiplayer games are important for the console, but I hope Nintendo doesn't forget what got people excited for the system in the first place.

Chao

Made me stop playing my ps4 almost entirely since it came out. I believe I just only picked it up again to play The Lost Legacy, but it's been Zelda/Mario Kart/Arms/Splatoon 2/Sonic Mania (which I also own on PS4 btw) for me since March.

Awesome console. Awesome games. Looking.forward to dat Mario Odyssey.

Better first 6 months than I thought. I'm resisting buying one until at least next spring, hoping for a special edition (that isn't just difft joycon colours, but more like the Zelda Wii U one).

I want to wait and see if they can keep the momentum to mid 2018, ie. Third parties specifically. Even stuff like Sonic Mania, Snake Pass and I am Setsuna are fine (I already have a PS4/XBOX1 for the NBA 2Ks, ACs, Forza, Uncharted, Maddens, etc.), that stuff's cool.

But honestly, am still feeling burned by the Wii/Wii U launches, so a huge part of me is still 'pick up a Switch in a few years' Like I said, I have enough other stuff to play and sorry about how I feel about NCL burning me.

Pila

It's a great system. I think it has Nintendo's best first year lineup since...I dunno, SNES?

One thing I'm worried about though and it's not something I see being talked about much. Zelda is the main reason the system has taken off worldwide. A game like Splatoon 2 has really launched the system to great success in Japan, but in the rest of the world, it's been a big, epic single player game that has driven sales.

And yet, I have a feeling Nintendo will miss this and instead put most of their developers on MP-focused titles for the majority of the system's life (with some obvious exceptions, like Odyssey, Xenoblade, and Metroid Prime).

I think multiplayer games are important for the console, but I hope Nintendo doesn't forget what got people excited for the system in the first place.

I think they're focusing on multiplayer games right now because they have to sell their incoming online fee. They are probably scared of something like "Yeah insert game title is fun but it's only one game, not gonna pay for it". They want you to be playing at least a few games online so you'll be more inclined to pay.

I think we'll see more single player stuff next year.

I think they're focusing on multiplayer games right now because they have to sell their incoming online fee. They are probably scared of something like "Yeah insert game title is fun but it's only one game, not gonna pay for it". They want you to be playing at least a few games online so you'll be more inclined to pay.

I think we'll see more single player stuff next year.

My guess is that we'll get lots of online and co-op games in 2018. Stuff like Smash Bros., Yoshi, Kirby, Animal Crossing, 2D Mario, etc. Which I'm fine with, by the way. I just want there to be a more even split moving beyond 2018.

I'm hoping that the massive success of BotW has caused NCL to greenlight some new AAA single player titles for 2019 and beyond.

jariw

...and the new Yoshi and Kirby games that were also announced. And that Mario+Rabidds game. So: except for the single player games, there are also multiplayer games.

They did a multiplayer marketing campaign for this summer, that's the only thing I've noticed. IMO, it seems smart to market the built-in (and portable) local multiplayer early on, since that's a feature that differs between both the current handhelds and consoles.

sTiTcH AU

Its a good system that works better than I thought it would (being console and handheld) however i finished zelda in april, played a few hours of mario kart on release and its gathered dust.

There are obviously great games on the system with some great games coming out, but even with mario coming out soon there are just too many games on other systems that will take priority and i will wait until the new year to go back to the switch.

The biggest disappointment for me with the system is lack of any achievement/trophies. I really do find that they help me explore parts of a game that i would not have done without them and i feel more accomplished 100% a game.

Pila

My guess is that we'll get lots of online and co-op games in 2018. Stuff like Smash Bros., Yoshi, Kirby, Animal Crossing, 2D Mario, etc. Which I'm fine with, by the way. I just want there to be a more even split moving beyond 2018.

I'm hoping that the massive success of BotW has caused NCL to greenlight some new AAA single player titles for 2019 and beyond.

I see your point. Western gamers bought the thing because of an open world, AAA single player experience and maybe they're not thrilled at the idea of the new Yoshi game as I am. ^^

Let's wait and see, hopefully everyone will get stuff they like.

...and the new Yoshi and Kirby games that were also announced. And that Mario+Rabidds game. So: except for the single player games, there are also multiplayer games.

They did a multiplayer marketing campaign for this summer, that's the only thing I've noticed. IMO, it seems smart to market the built-in (and portable) local multiplayer early on, since that's a feature that differs between both the current handhelds and consoles.

By "MP-focused", I also meant co-op games. Which I'm fine with, I just hope co-op and competitive games don't make up the vast majority of the first party lineup.

I see your point. Western gamers bought the thing because of an open world, AAA single player experience and maybe they're not thrilled at the idea of the new Yoshi game as I am. ^^

Let's wait and see, hopefully everyone will get stuff they like.

Heck, I'm looking forward to the new Yoshi game as well. I just hope we get a lot more Zelda/3D Mario/Xenoblade/Metroid Prime caliber experiences in the future. Obviously those games take a lot of time to make though. Hopefully Retro's working on something big.

Orbis

Had it since launch. I wasn't one of the unlucky ones to suffer joyconissues so hardware wise I'm very happy with it. I probably use it about 60/40 at home vs on the train, and when at home it's about 60/40 portable vs docked, so I feel like like I'm getting full use out of the point of the design. As someone who often fails to finish games I can safely say being able to take it to bed or take it on my commute was the only way I managed to finish BOTW.

Game wise I haven't really bought much so far. Zelda at launch was fantastic, arguably one of the best in the series. Snake Pass was next up, not a massive game but good fun and great as a portable game. MK8D was just a better running MK8, so no complaints. I sold the Wii U version for it. Now I have Sonic Mania and I'm ready for Mario Odyssey to round out a pretty solid start.

Generally when I buy a launch console I don't really end up with many games for at least 12 months, but to have BOTW, MK8D, Odyssey all within 7 months, I really can't complain.

Pila

Heck, I'm looking forward to the new Yoshi game as well. I just hope we get a lot more Zelda/3D Mario/Xenoblade/Metroid Prime caliber experiences in the future. Obviously those games take a lot of time to make though. Hopefully Retro's working on something big.

Agreed. It's not exactly my cup of tea (I mostly play 2D stuff and online games) but I know how important big 3D single player games are, people need them. We do get 3D Mario and (maybe?) Xeno this year so I'm not too worried atm.

Not much Lego City Undercover love in this thread. Most people probably not even know it is out for Switch too.

Anyone who wants a new Switch game should try it, it is at least a "B- game" ;-)

The happiest I've been with any console console after 6 months.

I can see it possibly becoming my favourite Nintendo console of all time even.

By "MP-focused", I also meant co-op games. Which I'm fine with, I just hope co-op and competitive games don't make up the vast majority of the first party lineup.

You know what could help fill in the single player games drought?

Virtual Console :)

dc89

Really looking forward to seeing Animal Crossing come to Switch. I hope it looks like what that plaza thing did on Wii U.
I think it's the kind of game that would be perfect for Switch owners who like that kind of game, as it's something that's going to make you pick up the system for half an hour a day for a good while.

Kirby Yoshi Mario Mario and rabbids metroid 4 pokemon and more announced, showed and coming.

I really love it! Everyone talks about it for good reason--the functionality of this thing is a serious game changer, and (I know other people have problems with this bit but) god bless Nintendo making controllers for little baby hands like mine. The joycons are mad comfy. And it has been getting an almost shockingly steady stream of great and interesting games, especially for a debut year.

I still find myself jonseing for my PS4 on the regular, but that's not a knock on the Switch--just proof that I sold my soul to Sony a long time ago.

Crispy

I'm always looking for the controller, until I realise the Joy-Cons are attached to it :p

Still loving it. I think it's a great device. The shop still needs some much needed work and the thing is perfect for VC, so get on it Nintendo!

RedZaraki

Banned
Zelda is good, but not even my favorite one in the series. It might be my 3rd favorite overall.

Also, the stock situation is ridiculous.

If I have to give it an overall rating so far, it's like 7.5/10.

Magypsy

I love my Switch. Would like YouTube and Virtual Console (or equivalent) though. It could use bluetooth headphone support. A Classic Controller adapter would be also real good; especially when I get my SNES classic.

Top Bottom