• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switched to android from iOS, immediately miss imessage :(

Gamespawn

Less than 50% of smartphones in america are iphone though. Weird thing to constrict yourself to mms/sms with most of the cellphone population.

imessage is blackberry messenger part 2. Except back then there literally wasnt anything to compete against BBM so there was a reason to use it.

But iMessage can talk to 100% of the population whereas WhatsApp can only talk to those that download and create an account.

the question is what are they missing. not what are you missing.

what you send and what they receive may not always match.

So... what is missing? My wife uses iMessage on her iPhone, I use the standard texting app on my Pixel. She sends me pics, videos, gifs and everything works except the occasional gibberish from emojis not matching. She receives all the pics, videos etc. I send her.

Is there something funny with the S8 messaging app or is there something else with iMessage that my wife isn't using?

99Luffy

Banned
But iMessage can talk to 100% of the population whereas WhatsApp can only talk to those that download and create an account.
Is combining sms into one app important? from other iphone users in this thread it seems rather annoying to have 'green bubbles' combined with imessage users. And I agree, which is part of the reason I didnt like hangouts.
And whatsapp doesnt really have an account creation process. Theres no username or password, just piggybacks off your phone number.

Is combining sms into one app important? from other iphone users in this thread it seems rather annoying to have 'green bubbles' combined with imessage users. And I agree, which is part of the reason I didnt like hangouts.
And whatsapp doesnt really have an account creation process. Theres no username or password, just piggybacks off your phone number.
It really is that important yes, having an inferior text conversation in the same app is still better than using separate apps for certain friends.

Whatsapp rules, iMessage sucks!

Come at me, USA bros! :eek:

"WhatsApp" users desperately trying to convert iMessage users, and iMessage users response:

large.jpg

That Apple user edginess... classic!

Gamespawn

I don't know if i'd say important, but extremely convenient compared to the alternative. I think a lot of the green bubble talk is more hyperbolic. I mean, the app is called Messages and iMessage is just a mode the app switches to if the recipient is an iPhone user. Most people don't really care.

I live in Canada and have never used WhatsApp or known of anyone using WhatsApp.
I downloaded WhatsApp last year to talk to one of my Steam friends. Had never heard of it before than and have never had anyone ask me to use it. Almost all of my friends and family use iOS devices. Owning an iPad and MacBook Pro make iMessage the superior choice for everyone I know.

Draper

Why is this such a volatile discussion every time it's brought up in this forum?

What exactly are you gaining by taking such an aggressive offense towards iMessage?

Maitiú

As an iMessage user who downloaded WhatsApp today in preparation for my switch to android, I don't see what WhatsApp has over iMessage. Whatsapp does nothing better, as far as I can tell. It has far less features. I also could only connect with 5 people in my contact list right now, none of which I actually would text, while iMessage automatically can message anyone in my contacts list that has a phone number. And there is no setting up of an account needed with iMessage. As far as I'm concerned, Europeans are missing out if they aren't using iMessage. I'll be sad to lose it, as it was a great way to talk to both iPhone and android users.

VeeP

i message

Apples made a lot of terrible names, but iMessage really isn’t one of them. It fits perfectly with the company, “iPhone” “iMac” “iPod” and “iMessage”. It lets you know instantly what it is, i = Apple, message = messaging app. Easy, makes sense, fits the language of the company.

Kinokou

Google hangouts sucks and facebook messenger afaik requires facebook.

Because Facebook messenger requires a Facebook account and linking that account whereas WhatsApp is phone number dependent.

Time to get with the times, Messenger works with phone number registration no Facebook required now.

Facebook messenger hasn't required a Facebook account for a while.

I like you.

When android users send me videos via text message I get garbled, unwatchable, shit.

iMessage just works

Getting a garbled mess is pretty much the definition of it not working properly. Have you asked them what service they would usually use? There's a big chance that it's iPhone compatibile.

Bro are you getting paid by Facebook or something?

Fixed that for you.

aravuus

"WhatsApp" users desperately trying to convert iMessage users, and iMessage users response:

large.jpg

Yep, that is exactly what I gathered from this embarrassing, almost 10-page shitshow

Oh wait

e: ironically, it's an imessage user just a few posts above that's saying the "I feel bad for you" line lol

Kintaco

My cousin visited from Mexico yesterday and wanted to keep in funniest when me and my brother. She just assumed we had WhatsApp. I didn't much of it until seeing this thread, now it all makes sense. That's what all my cousins use in Mexico, so I assume it popular there as well.
I just assumed everyone with an iPhone used iMessage.

I'm in Canada and only a couple people in my contact list had it when I checked. I've rarely encountered anyone using it unless they're from out of county. Canada is like the US when it comes to text. iMessage or sms.

I'm in Canada too, and every single person uses WhatsApp. I hate it because it's ugly, but I still use it.

Maitiú;249397533 said:
As an iMessage user who downloaded WhatsApp today in preparation for my switch to android, I don't see what WhatsApp has over iMessage. Whatsapp does nothing better, as far as I can tell. It has far less features. I also could only connect with 5 people in my contact list right now, none of which I actually would text, while iMessage automatically can message anyone in my contacts list that has a phone number. And there is no setting up of an account needed with iMessage. As far as I'm concerned, Europeans are missing out if they aren't using iMessage. I'll be sad to lose it, as it was a great way to talk to both iPhone and android users.

It does nothing better? How about exist on all phones. That seems like a pretty important feature. If iMessage was on Android then it could be a discussion.

Some people still get charged for SMS messages though, and some people (younger kids) have tablets or older phones that don't have plans and can only use wifi. So it's not 100% of the population.

Jonnax

The point is that text messages are shit and nobody wants to receive them.

WhatsApp and other messaging applications provide the same experience that iMessage users love to everybody.

iMessage is stupider than using groups for Xbox Live or PlayStation because at least everyone can download the apps for those platforms.

PaulloDEC

The weirdest thing about this to me is that people use platform-locked apps. I'm a die-hard android user, but if my phones came with any communication app that was locked to android, I'd be hunting down a platform-agnostic replacement asap.

MGrant

I use LINE here in Taiwan. Stickers. Stickers everywhere.

No one gives out phone numbers anymore. It's all LINE.

Sobriquet

The point is that text messages are shit and nobody wants to receive them.

WhatsApp and other messaging applications provide the same experience that iMessage users love to everybody.

iMessage is stupider than using groups for Xbox Live or PlayStation because at least everyone can download the apps for those platforms.

But if I can send and receive texts, gifs, emojis, videos, whatever from Messages to an Android phone, then what am I missing?

Nightbird

When I first saw this in a convenience store I understood that WhatsApp was big.

Now when you meet new people you are pretty much expected to use WhatsApp, no one asks if you have it,its just "I'll write you in WhatsApp!"

(Europe BTW)

Juice

America is very much class and region segregated though. I only text with three or four Android users and each are affluent white men who only use Android to make a point that they're anti-Apple politically

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
When I first saw this in a convenience store I understood that WhatsApp was big.

Now when you meet new people you are pretty much expected to use WhatsApp, no one asks if you have it,its just "I'll write you in WhatsApp!"

(Europe BTW)

I have moved to Seoul and I find that Kaokao or Line, which is the Japanese equivalent, is far superior. You can do shopping, payments, coupons, stickers and animations on that thing. Whatapp is quite simple in comparison.

Jimrpg

The reason Whatsapp is really big in other countries is because android has a higher number of users. Their handsets cover a range of price points vs iPhones that are really only top end unless you count their older phones.

Not everyone in other countries can afford to buy an iPhone. Whatsapp solves a lot of the problems because it puts iOS and android devices on an even playing field. It has a number of useful features, the only disappointing thing is it's really slow to update.

When I hear of people saying Whatsapp is ugly, i feel like they are really missing the point of the whole app. Yeah it's not as slick as iMessage or even Line, it's supposed to make it easy to chat between iOS and android users and in groups. I don't see why people in the US have to dismiss it so quickly.

Nightbird

I have moved to Seoul and I find that Kaokao or Line, which is the Japanese equivalent, is far superior. You can do shopping, payments, coupons, stickers and animations on that thing. Whatapp is quite simple in comparison.

I know, I used to have Line and still use Kakao on top of WhatsApp (I used to have a lot of Asian contacts).

While both deliver a superior experience to WhatsApp, the thing that will make WhatsApp better for me is its simplicity. I don't like my apps too bloated.

Its the reason why I was very skeptical when they basically introduced snapchat into the app a while ago, but I've come to terms with it.

Hydrargyrus

I use Hangouts because when I'm at work I already have gmail open anyway. And it has better desktop <-> mobile support than any other chat program

Same here.

This function is killer for me. This is the main app to talk with my GF.
For everything else, I use whatsapp

It amazes me that people actually use iMessage

It amazes me that anyone would trust the privacy and security of their private communications to a product they didn't even pay for. I would've thought Europeans would understand that distinction better than Americans.

Nightfall

(Europe BTW)

Yeah in Europe WhatsApp is pretty much as essential as the phone app on any phone. Almost nobody uses SMS anymore. They're still slow (especially MMS), short, inconvenient and in a lot of cases very expensive.

And mostly because of costs WhatsApp took off. You could message anyone anytime without paying anything (as long as you've got data). The pricing for SMS largely hasn't changed and MMS are even more expensive. So it's no alternative.
And since not everyone uses iMessage it's the cheapest and fastest way to exchange text, pictures and videos.

Half the people I normally communicate on a daily basis use an iPhone. Not sure how it is outside of the States, but a lot of people use iMessage.
Based on what I see, I message is not popular ourside of USA. It's a whatapp(ww) , we chat(china) , line(Japan/Taiwan/etc) , telegram(ww) , signal (WW) world outthere. As in, all of these apps have more users than IMessage from what I see.
Edit

It's basically because US Is a Apple country I think.

oti

Banned
Bro are you getting paid by WhatsApp or something?

I always find it weird how some people are so elitist about WhatsApp. I agree that the idea of moving away from SMS is probably a good one, but to act like it is a better experience I just don't see it. It just feels like the MySpace of chat apps, it's so ugly and feels so old, even though the core features are forward thinking. To me iMessage is a dramatically nicer experience, by far the best experience of any chat/messaging app I've used.

lol

You type in a message, tap send. That's it. That's what every messaging app does.

bananas

Banned
Anyone who says with a straight face that using WhatsApp is a better experience than using iMessage either hasn't used iMessage or is dumb.

Hell, both LINE and Facebook Messenger are better than WhatsApp.

SoundLad

In Ireland WhatsApp is very common at least in my friend circles. The other one would be the Messenger app by Facebook.

I use WhataApp and everyone I know uses it. The notion that nobody in the US uses it is total BS.

Yup my contacts from the US uses whatsapp to communicate. What’s total BS imo is people who think imessage is indispensable compared to whatsapp. The only people who think so are those who do not have a wide circle of friends or contacts from around the world. Nobody outside of the US gives a shit about imessage. Fact is, their numbers pale in significance to whatsapp’s. It’s so insignificant that if Apple were to ban Whatsapp and go exclusively imessage tomorrow, every single one iphone user I know of (outside the US perhaps) will drop iphones instantly in favour of android. The same can’t be said if the hypothetical’s in reverse for imessage.

Top Bottom