• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sylvester Stallone to Direct Creed 2

Madness

Rocky Balboa is a much worse movie than Creed

Nah. I have it as Rocky, Rocky Balboa and Creed as my top 3. Then Rocky 2,3,4 round out the rest. We don't talk about 5. Time to take Creed 2 further. Creed wasn't as good as some people make it to be. Michael B. Jordan did an amazing job but the movie itself could have been way better. Hopefully they cut a lot of his relationship with the girl stuff. Focus more on living with Apollo wife who is not his mom, Avon Barksdale who is half brother but wouldn't train him etc.

PSqueak

Banned
Hmmm, while i don't necessarily oppose to Stallone directing, Coogler did such a good job with Creed that i'd rather have him back for the sequel.

watershed

Banned
so does Creed. it is certainly shot better and is also the superior movie in the franchise. but it, alongside every other Rocky movie, plays out in the same predictable manner. its always been about the underdog getting their shot to the top.

Creed was basically black Rocky.

Creed is far better and has more interesting dramatic twists. In a nutshell Creed is a far better father-son movie than Balboa was and Balboa actually featured the character who was Rocky's own son.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Rocky Balboa is a good film and great send off to Rocky.

Creed is a great film, period.

My issue with Stallone isn't him directing. He's not a bad director by any means. It's that Creed was written and directed by Coogler and Stallone was largely hands off. Now that it is back in his hands, is he going to make Creed about Rocky? I don't fucking trust Stallone at all with this. The well for Rocky is dried out. There is nothing left.

Creed was special because of Coogler and his relationship with Michael B. Jordan. It felt fresh but familiar in a franchise that desperately needed a unique voice.

I don't doubt Stallone's chops as a director and with this franchise, but I think it'll pale in comparison to what it could be.

In the wake of the 2016 election, Creed, much like America finds himself haunted by the specter of an old foe. Is he out for revenge? Or is it justice? Is there difference?

As long as he doesn't have sole-credit as a writer, I think we might be okay, or maybe he'll actually try this time. We all knew Coogler wasn't directing it anyway, so I guess it could be worse.

J_Viper

Am I disappointed Coogler isn't back? Yes. Am I disappointed Stallone is stepping up? Hell No.

Y'all tripping.

This is my take as well. Stallone is a legend. Everyone here seems to be forgetting that.

I wonder why Coogler isn't coming back

This is my take as well. Stallone is a legend. Everyone here seems to be forgetting that.

I wonder why Coogler isn't coming back

Coogler's busy. Not just with Marvel (if he were Directing BP2, it wouldn't be coming out until 2021 at the earliest, and he could squeeze another movie in there), but I believe he's had his eye on another project as well. Best case scenario with Coogler is the movie not coming out until 2019, and I guess either WB or Sly don't want that (Stallone already announced a December 2018 release, IIRC).

J_Viper

Coogler's busy. Not just with Marvel (if he were Directing BP2, it wouldn't be coming out until 2021 at the earliest, and he could squeeze another movie in there), but I believe he's had his eye on another project as well. Best case scenario with Coogler is the movie not coming out until 2019, and I guess either WB or Sly don't want that (Stallone already announced a December 2018 release, IIRC).

Thanks for the info folks

Coogler is a damn fine filmmaker, and I do wish he was able to make it back, but Stallone is literally the next best person for the job.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Stallone should lean in hard to the US vs Russia feelings going on. Drago trains new super Russian fighter who is also a hacker or something dumb to make it sort of relevant.

as long as he doesn't ham it up too much again then whatever. would have been nice to have gotten Coogler back, but at the same time...Rocky Balboa was not bad either.
Creed was so much cheesier than Rocky Balboa. I still don't know why everybody lost their shit over that movie.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Creed was a very good movie but I still have it tied with Rocky 2. Nothing is ever going to tale the originals spot and Rocky Balboa is probably the second best movie in the franchise.

This commentary makes little sense if any.

Creed was so much cheesier than Rocky Balboa. I still don't know why everybody lost their shit over that movie.

I think the ATV scene was cheesy as fuck for sure. but in terms of overall sentimentality Creed handled its drama better than Balboa tbh. (although the Balboa ending got me more than any scene in Creed, oh man that was beautiful)

I like both movies a lot tho.

I think the ATV scene was cheesy as fuck for sure. but in terms of overall sentimentality Creed handled its drama better than Balboa tbh. (although the Balboa ending got me more than any scene in Creed, oh man that was beautiful)

I like both movies a lot tho.

But that's what it's like in Philly. Dudes really are about that ATV/Dirt Bike life.

But that's what it's like in Philly. Dudes really are about that ATV/Dirt Bike life.

nah not that, its the end of it when Michael B Jordan is shadowboxing and screaming as the ATVs circle him.

it literally looks like a bunch of guys bullying a mentally deranged person haha, was so strange.

Umm....what's wrong with this? Rocky Balboa is one of the best Rocky movie ever made. Right after 1&2. So Creed 2 can be good.

Toothless

So glad a white man in his 70s gets to continue Creed.

Oh wait. He's literally the worst choice to continue it since what made Creed great is that it effectively ignored how Rocky as a franchise has gone filmmaking-wise for nearly the entire franchise. This honestly is the only franchise where going with an indie filmmaker from Sundance makes sense. Give it to any of those and have Coogler and Stallone produce.

Ugh, this is literally the one thing that'll make me skip Creed 2.

Boogs31

The "Rocky Balboa was a great movie" rhetoric is pretty crazy to me. Yes, it was a vast improvement over Rocky V, but it was nowhere near great. Creed is near the originals level and in some ways it's better. Coogler is a unique talent as a director that can elevate material. The filmmaking in that early fight in Creed made it the best scene in the entire franchise.

kunonabi

Always happy to see Stallone direct again. Would have been nice to have Coogler back but this doesn't bother me. Hopefully Jordan and Thompson can find some chemistry this time out since that was the only thing that dragged Creed down.

Top Bottom