• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sylvester Stallone to Direct Creed 2

Man, I love Sly and all, but I was hoping he'd continue to let others play with his toys while he took a backseat. I really don't want Creed to turn into a regular Rocky sequel. We've already had plenty of those, and part of what made Creed work was having a different set of eyes. Coogler put his own stamp on the franchise and gave Creed it's own identity unique from the rest of the series. I was hoping to see an evolution of that for the sequel.

This is going to be fucking horrible. Fighting fucking Ivan Drago or some dumb Rocky IV crap.

No thanks.

He's already leaked some of what he wants to do.

It's peak 80's stupid ass action movie.

If Coogler is not avalaible, bring it

The dumbest action movie

Bring back Burt Young and the robot from IV

The tiger leather jacket

Cheesecheesecheese

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
No disrespect, but that's a step down. Rocky Balboa had a decent central drama but the cinematography was very poor and the movie played out in a predictable, by the numbers fashion.

I feel like part of it was because of budget and part of it was a creative decision because Stalone wanted it to look like a television broadcast.

gamz

Ricky's speech about life beating you down in Balboa is as good as anything in Creed.

Might be the best thing Stallone has written.

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! I'm always gonna love you, no matter what. No matter what happens. You're my son and you're my blood. You're the best thing in my life. But until you start believing in yourself, you ain't gonna have a life."

dohdough

Yep, I actually think it's the best movie of the franchise.

tenor.gif

jett

D-Member
I'm pretty sure Coogler came up with Adonis, but even if that wasn't true, that doesn't make Stallone a better pick or the right custodian for the franchise.

Yeah I know right, Stallone has only directed every Rocky movie except I, V and Creed...

Budi

Wow, people are really passionate about Rocky and Creed. Personally, I'm probably underrating Stallone's better work but I'd also have more faith in Coogler.

Solo

I have 0 problems with this. As long as he approaches it like Rambo 4 or Balboa and not like an Expendables film, it'll be fine.

sibarraz

Banned
Im fine with it, the creed movies had to many cliffhangers in the middle of the movie to not have a sequel as soon as possible.

One of my favorite aspects of the movie was how they introduced lots of characters who didnt do anything but that you knew that in the future they will play an important role

gamz

Do you think Stallone envisioned 40 years ago writing Rocky that people would be still so vocal about who's directing Rocky 8?

Funny to think about it.

Rambo (aka Rambo 4) is one of the most tightly paced and entertaining action movies of the modern era.

It made me wish Stallone would branch out as a director and leave this stuff alone.

black_13

Banned
Stallone's actually a great director! Rambo 4, Rocky Balboa are really well done.

I think waiting too long for a Creed sequel would've killed any anticipation so I'm all for this.

Yeah I know right, Stallone has only directed every Rocky movie except I, V and Creed...

The franchise has moved into a new direction.

It's the Creed era now. Do you really trust Stallone to do right by the character? I don't.

I don't trust Stallone to capture the black experience. I don't trust Stallone to get the right depiction of the black side of Philly. There's a lot I don't trust Stallone to do right, and having heard some of his ideas for Creed 2 in the past makes this more unfortunate than it already is.

Sanjuro

I wonder if Coogler has/had any input on the script.

I think he might. It seems like he couldn't meet a 2018 deadline, but that doesn't rule him out as a writer/producer.

No one can bring modern black culture to the big screen like Sylvester Stallone.

I'm not sure that would be the driving force of the series. What made Creed great is it basically was a reverse Rocky story. That chapter is over.

He's literally talking about fighting Drago again, not son of Drago, dragging Dolph Lundgren's 60 year old ass out to fight MBJ

Ugh; seriously?! That sounds awful.

Although I would prefer Coogler to be directing this as Creed was a beautiful and stylish film, Stallone ain't half bad either so I have no problem with him directing.

Didn't he or the studio still want Coogler to direct Creed 2? Maybe his plate was too full or something. Sylvester is a fine director when he takes things seriously, so I trust him to do the movie justice. Even if it does go full ham with the America vs. Russians plot, ala Rocky IV, it'll still be entertaining to watch.

SeanC

Creed was great because it took the familiar formula (that Stallone helped create, certainly) and gave it a new, fresh voice and new take and implemented a style that captured something unique in how it presented character, the city, the worldview and a life from an African-American point of view. I don't like the term "lightning in a bottle" but there's a lot of elements that came together to really make that movie work.

This is going backwards. A regression. Stallone is a fully capable director and writer but this is trying to force something instead of that happy accident and "lightning" that the first film had on top of Stallone likely missing the elements and worldview that gave the first movie that unique voice. It's cash-money, a franchise, and that's how they're going to approach the series from now on. Same thing happened with the Rocky sequels - a movie that was unique that, once Stallone gained more power into sequal-izing the story, started to become a parody of the original.

BadAss2961

Creed was great because it took the familiar formula (that Stallone helped create, certainly) and gave it a new, fresh voice and new take and implemented a style that captured something unique in how it presented character, the city, the worldview and a life from an African-American point of view. I don't like the term "lightning in a bottle" but there's a lot of elements that came together to really make that movie work.

This is going backwards. A regression. Stallone is a fully capable director and writer but this is trying to force something instead of that happy accident and "lightning" that the first film had on top of Stallone likely missing the elements and worldview that gave the first movie that unique voice. It's cash-money, a franchise, and that's how they're going to approach the series from now on. Same thing happened with the Rocky sequels - a movie that was unique that, once Stallone gained more power into sequal-izing the story, started to become a parody of the original.
They had to go a different route with the sequels. III and IV worked out perfectly. Dramas like the first two movies weren't meant to be serialized.

My problem with movies like Balboa and Creed is how they try to go back to that drama in a series that already jumped the shark decades ago. Can't take it seriously. The events of these movies are just as far-fetched as 3-5, if not more, while trying to be like the original films again.

SeanC

They had to go a different route with the sequels. III and IV worked out perfectly. Dramas like the first two movies weren't meant to be serialized.

My problem with movies like Balboa and Creed is how they try to go back to that drama in a series that already jumped the shark decades ago. Can't take it seriously. The events of these movies are just as far-fetched as 3-5, if not more, while trying to be like the original films again.

Creed was the opportunity to start anew, though. To redo it in a different way with a new vision, and it looks one-and-done. More importantly, the directing in Balboa wasn't particularly good, especially the fights and how it felt Sly hasn't really progressed as a director in that side of things (strangely, though, I thought Rambo was fantastically directed by him but it's because it was really old-school glorified violence) , whereas Creed you felt those moments and impacts and emotion, something Coogler worked hard to get. I wonder if Sly has caught up with the times in an era where we have a good plethora of solid boxing movies, such as someone bringing up Southpaw earlier.

One more thing. Not asking for a Creed movie to go all political but I feel like there could be a commentary/exploration of Russia's weakening of US democracy to be found in a Drago-related sequel, and a smarter filmmaker than Stallone is needed for that.

SeanC

One more thing. Not asking for a Creed movie to go all political but I feel like there could be a commentary/exploration of Russia's weakening of US democracy to be found in a Drago-related sequel, and a smarter filmmaker than Stallone is needed for that.

If they do it will age as poorly as Rocky IV has.

If they do it will age as poorly as Rocky IV has.

Rocky IV was dumb patriotic silliness on arrival. I'm not asking for dumb patriotic silliness. On the contrary, I'd like a 2017 sequel to that movie to at least acknowledge that the US is currently being the butt of Russia's "joke".

SeanC

Rocky IV was dumb patriotic silliness on arrival. I'm not asking for dumb patriotic silliness. On the contrary, I'd like a 2017 sequel to that movie to at least acknowledge that the US is currently being the butt of Russia's "joke".

It got by on patriotic silliness, but you can't do patriotic silliness in this current political climate. There's no "rah rah America" at the moment. You can't have Creed, a black man, going to bat for a country that treats black men like shit.

number11

I can’t see a Creed sequel being great... which is why they need to follow the original Rocky formula. I have no problem if they just strip away the serious tone and just up the 80s cheese.

Top Bottom