• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sylvester Stallone to Direct Creed 2

Tylercrat

Banned
Coogler is much better director and Creed is a much better film.

Also, have you heard some of the ideas Stallone and Coogler disagreed on for Creed 2?

Without Stallone there is no Rocky, but without Coogler there is no Creed.

Hey, Coogler didn't invent Apollo or Adonis Creed. Stallone did.

Hey, Coogler didn't invent Apollo or Adonis Creed. Stallone did.

I'm pretty sure Coogler came up with Adonis, but even if that wasn't true, that doesn't make Stallone a better pick or the right custodian for the franchise.

Creed revitalised the entire franchise.

Coogler did that. Not Stallone.

And I don't trust Stallone to handle the character right. Creed did a lot of the little things right. Coogler was subtle, but he captured the intricacies of the black experience really, really well, and it's what sets Creed apart.

Not just that Adonis is black, but the experience that goes with it, and the depiction thereof.

I don't think Stallone is capable to do the character justice.

Tylercrat

Banned
I'm pretty sure Coogler came up with Adonis, but even if that wasn't true, that doesn't make Stallone a better pick or the right custodian for the franchise.

Creed revitalised the entire franchise.

Coogler did that. Not Stallone.

And I don't trust Stallone to handle the character right. Creed did a lot of the little things right. Coogler was subtle, but he captured the intricacies of the black experience really, really well, and it's what sets Creed apart.

Not just that Adonis is black, but the experience that goes with it, and the depiction thereof.

I don't think Stallone is capable to do the character justice.

Stallone wrote the screenplay for the original Rocky (and I think all the Rocky movies). As much as Coogler did a truly fantastic job in Creed, I think Stallone is the one guy who knows a thing or two about boxing movies let alone this franchise.

Will he correctly capture the Black experience?... welp almost definitely not as good as Coogler. But I'm pretty darn sure if Stallone made 5 good Rocky movies (not counting Rocky 5), then I'm sure he can make a good Creed movie.

Rocky Balboa is a great movie, as is Rocky 2, so even though I wish Coogler could come back, I think Stallone is still a pretty good pick.

Hope Stallone does a good job. The first Creed was one of my favourite movies that year, and both Michael and he do a fantastic job in it.

I'm more disappointed at the announcement of sequel more than whose directing it. Granted, I think I said the same thing about Creed when it was first announced.

The "Rocky Balboa was a great movie" rhetoric is pretty crazy to me. Yes, it was a vast improvement over Rocky V, but it was nowhere near great. Creed is near the originals level and in some ways it's better. Coogler is a unique talent as a director that can elevate material. The filmmaking in that early fight in Creed made it the best scene in the entire franchise.

Creed was a lukewarm retread of a Rocky movie we had already seen done better before.

I'm willing to wait on it, but this is not what I wanted.

This is going to ruin the franchise, isn't it?
Creed was a lukewarm retread of a Rocky movie we had already seen done better before.
....what?
Can this be broken done and explained to me? I've seen them all, but maybe I missed something.
Stallone wrote the screenplay for the original Rocky (and I think all the Rocky movies). As much as Coogler did a truly fantastic job in Creed, I think Stallone is the one guy who knows a thing or about boxing movies let alone this franchise.

Will he correctly capture the Black experience?... welp almost definitely not as good as Coogler. But I'm pretty darn sure if Stallone made 5 good Rocky movies (not counting Rocky 5), then I'm sure he can make a good Creed movie.
And this is the problem. It isn't JUST about boxing. Its about that chip on Adonis' shoulder. Its about the Black experience. That isn't something to hand wave away and say 'well, he did great boxing movie before, he can do it again'. I'm not so sure. He did everything well from the perspective of Rocky Balboa; Adonis is a different character, of a different background facing different challenges and navigating a different world than Rocky Balboa did.

The perfect example I can think of is him assaulting the Blood(?) guy backstage because he called him Baby Creed. Rocky wouldn't have reacted the same way, he didn't when Clubber approach him and his wife at a press conference. Maybe Stallone can decipher the characters motivations and nuances. I think Stallone is a good actor and a capable director. I don't know if he will be able to capture the nuance of the character the way Coogler can. I'd have no problem believing it'll be a serviceable boxing film, but Creed wasn't Just that, so the thought of receiving Just that is disappointing.

Boogs31

Frankly, being that it was the 7th movie in the franchise, it's impossible to avoid hitting some similar themes. It did however, do just about everything else right.

It introduced fresh, well developed characters, it breathed new life into Rocky's character by giving him a realistic, yet important role, and the filmmaking was miles better than the typical, generic, sports movie style. Was it a 10/10? No. But it certainly wasn't lukewarm.

Neece

This is actually good news to me. Coogler already nailed a boxing film. He's about to nail a comic book film. I want to see him direct something else, and staying tied to a boxing franchise and potentially more marvel movies may limit what else he is available to do.

RC

Banned
Rocky Balboa was amazing.

If Stallone gives Creed 2 the same kind of attention, it’ll turn out great.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Balboa was great for what it had to work with. I am actually excited at the concept of this. I could be Rocky II or Rocky V, no in between.

Rocky Balboa was way better than Creed.

Anyway, is Stallone writing this? If he's only directing, why would it be "cheesier" than Creed (which by the way had the circling quad scene that's cheesier than anything short of "If I can change..." from Rocky IV).

Sanjuro

Rocky Balboa was way better than Creed.

Anyway, is Stallone writing this? If he's only directing, why would it be "cheesier" than Creed (which by the way had the circling quad scene that's cheesier than anything short of "If I can change..." from Rocky IV).

I wouldn't say Balboa was better than Creed. If the former didn't exist then the latter wouldn't have much footing in this franchise. That being said, most people complaining of this decision don't seem to have much merit.

Stallone is a great choice for a Rocky movie.

Creed is so much more than just a Rocky movie.

Coogler has a great eye for visuals that I'm going to miss.

Just look at this!

AE5NSp.gif

BadAss2961

as long as he doesn't ham it up too much again then whatever. would have been nice to have gotten Coogler back, but at the same time...Rocky Balboa was not bad either.
I'd rather he bring the ham.

Balboa and Creed were alright, but they're really just clones of Rocky 1 and 2 under different makeup, which already did mostly everything those movies want to do way better. The plots of Balboa and Creed are also fanfic levels of bullshit.

Sanjuro

Balboa and Creed were alright, but they're really just clones of Rocky 1 and 2 under different makeup, which already did mostly everything those movies want to do way better. The plots of Balboa and Creed are also fanfic levels of bullshit.

How dare the Rocky 4 sequel use liberties from Rocky 4!

UrokeJoe

Sorry kids even if you had the best night of your lives in my car it’s still my car and I’m the one that put the miles in it. Aint she a beauty?

If you want ham how about a fight between Donny and Robert as they both compete for papa rockys approval

First though Robert is roped into an exhibition fight with Ivan Drago jr (played by Alexander skarsgard with a bad Russian accent). Robert gets sent to the hospital (maybe he dies).

Final fight is a revenge match between Donny and Ivan

Dolph Lundgren and Sly Stallone fight outside the ring too as the corners get really heated.

BadAss2961

How dare the Rocky 4 sequel use liberties from Rocky 4!
Creed didn't really build off Rocky 4 that much. Yo daddy died in the ring was about the extent of it. Other than that, it was another Rocky rehash with Apollo's kid who missed all his father's charisma.

Creed 2 sounds like the real IV sequel.
If you want ham how about a fight between Donny and Robert as they both compete for papa rockys approval

First though Robert is roped into an exhibition fight with Ivan Drago jr (played by Alexander skarsgard with a bad Russian accent). Robert gets sent to the hospital (maybe he dies).

Final fight is a revenge match between Donny and Ivan

Dolph Lundgren and Sly Stallone fight outside the ring too as the corners get really heated.

Well damn, they don't need to turn it into Fast and Furious. I just want some of that 3, 4, and even 5 again. Embrace the theatrics and stop trying to reach the drama of of 1 and 2. Any plot in this universe is ridiculous now, so the series is way past achieving that again.

Making this movie with Ivan in Putin era is gonna be interesting. I wonder what sly ends up doing here and if he bothers inserting any Russia stuff

robotrock

Banned
Folks can I watch Creed if I haven’t seen any Rocky movies? I’ve been putting it off because of this. Love love loved Fruitvale Station though.

Hey, why not. Stallone is uneven as a director but Balboa is the second best Rocky movie for me, slightly ahead of Creed. But hopefully he remembers that he's passed the baton and that the movie should center on Adonis and not himself.

Folks can I watch Creed if I haven't seen any Rocky movies? I've been putting it off because of this. Love love loved Fruitvale Station though.

Yes.
But you should watch Rocky 1 at some point.

Liked Rocky Balboa a lot (like all Rocky movies, but it's clearly the best one) but I just couldn't finish Creed. I don't know why, didn't really have that feel I guess.

Top Bottom