• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sylvester Stallone to Direct Creed 2

It got by on patriotic silliness, but you can't do patriotic silliness in this current political climate. There's no "rah rah America" at the moment. You can't have Creed, a black man, going to bat for a country that treats black men like shit.

That's what I'm saying. Replace the jingoism with a harsh criticism of racial oppression and political treason in America today.

I know I'm probably asking too much of a boxing franchise but to me that's the only way to make a Creed/Drago movie worthwhile at the moment. It doesn't have to go that deep but to completely ignore those themes would feel like a wasted opportunity.

Its not that I don't think Stallone can direct a good Rocky film, this is no longer about Rocky. They share similar themes but they are different people entirely. I suspect Coogler knows the character better.

But I don't think it will be bad. Just that it could be better

And if we are doing this:
I > Creed >=Balboa > III > II > IV >= V

Quixzlizx

I rewatched Rocky V for the first time since my childhood during the IFC marathon this weekend.

It actually wasn't that bad until the street brawl. I'd say only the soul-sucking groupie was on-the-nose to a detrimental degree.

I rewatched Rocky V for the first time since my childhood during the IFC marathon this weekend.

It actually wasn't that bad until the street brawl. I'd say only the soul-sucking groupie was on-the-nose to a detrimental degree.

I would say that the street brawl is the best part!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Source

This is not what I wanted. Not even close. Sly really just couldn't let it wait a bit longer, huh? Coogler is essential imo, he's the real deal, I don't think they'll get it right without him at the helm.

Sly isn't a bad director. Just keep it low key and don't go over the top and it'll at least be "okay".

shaneo632

It all comes down to the script. Stallone did a great job with Rocky Balboa. Creed 2 probably won't be as flashy as the first but that's just fine.

Creed was so fucking good. There are aspects of that movie that I don't believe Stallone will be able to replicate.

And there are aspects of the Rocky franchise that Coogler would not be able to replicate

Such as Paulies sexual relationship with a big ugly robot

Can anybody explain me thoroughly all this shittalk about rocky balboa movies?
And how the fuck is ‘creed’ anything better than the OG balboa movies? Like what EXACTLY was better done?
It was a good movie but nowhere to the hype that rocky movies give me and i’m not talking nostalgia wise but action wise and the sentimental part in there. There’s not even a place for comparison, rocky the typical humble guy giving himself a shot and creed a cocky as hell dude thinking he can beat some local dudes and then go straight at the world champion.
Oh wait..i forgot..it’s just GAF. There’ll always be whining about even the greatest stuff out there.

For me:

1 > Balboa > 2 > Creed > 3 > 4 > 5

That being said, Rocky 4 far/away wins for soundtrack. "Hearts on Fire" is 80s cheese at its best.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I’m bummed that Coogler isn’t returning, but, I mean, it’s not like Sly is a terrible director. Rocky Balboa was great.

Nightfall

Can anybody explain me thoroughly all this shittalk about rocky balboa movies?
And how the fuck is ‘creed’ anything better than the OG balboa movies? Like what EXACTLY was better done?
It was a good movie but nowhere to the hype that rocky movies give me and i’m not talking nostalgia wise but action wise and the sentimental part in there. There’s not even a place for comparison, rocky the typical humble guy giving himself a shot and creed a cocky as hell dude thinking he can beat some local dudes and then go straight at the world champion.
Oh wait..i forgot..it’s just GAF. There’ll always be whining about even the greatest stuff out there.

Obligatory Movies With Mikey post. You should definitly check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OI_RpN11GE

DeathyBoy

Banned
Creed was so fucking good. There are aspects of that movie that I don't believe Stallone will be able to replicate.

He won't even try.

The sequel will be about what happens when you're a success and the world expects greatness from you but you've got doubts. That's something Stallone knows all about.

People forget that dude was Rocky and Creed before Rocky hit it big.

Qvoth

i liked how creed kept teasing the rocky theme, and then bam when it hits you you just can't help but feel fuck yeah it's finally here

I'm down, I loved Creed and I like Sly as a director and writer. I really wish Sly would do one thing for the film industry before he retires for good... bring back that cheesey McCheese montage scenes and music.

Enough with the sneaky writing meant to "catch you off guard". No, stop... Give me Good guy, bad guy, music, more music, montages and soundtracks to span decades. Also big muscles, slow motion, mustaches, bikinis and robots.

autoduelist

Creed wasn't exactly unpredictable. It was a slighty different version of Rocky 1.

Slightly? Well, I guess they did change the girlfriend's issue from being shy to going deaf. Don't get me wrong, I loved Creed, but that's because I love the original.

It got by on patriotic silliness, but you can't do patriotic silliness in this current political climate. There's no "rah rah America" at the moment. You can't have Creed, a black man, going to bat for a country that treats black men like shit.

You act as if they can't figure out a way to play on that.

NandoGip

Is that so? Care to elaborate this a bit more? I'd be really interested.

I'm not from Philly so someone else can tell you more but just like in the movie theres a huge scene for riding dirt bikes and atv's in the streets over there. Google will probably help you out more than I could, also check out youtube for videos

Top Bottom