• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata Talks Final Fantasy XV Story Imbalances and the Teams Unconventional Decision

Considering the entire city was being destroyed I doubt people had time to call Noctis to tell his dad died considering it was a warzone. Also, only two people witnessed his death, one of which died and the other was MIA for a while.

Remember the newspaper was empire propaganda that also reported Noctis and Luna to be dead.
Except Noctis' dad was the king, and it might be a good idea to call up—you know—the new king to let him know he's now the king. King.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
No Tabata, you were just given a mostly doomed project Story wise.

I'm actually sure he wasn't given a doomed project story wise. They just decided to gut it in the most ridiculous way and then give shitty storytelling on top of it. This isn't on the material that was in place.

Elios83

I guess it became intentional the moment when they realized it was their only option to actually release the game.
Similarly to how the FFXIII team realized that making a linear game was their only option to release that game.
Unfortuntaly the plot in FFXV was not developed as it deserved, they had a nice story to tell but failed to properly tell it, so it wasn't a good decision although it was a forced one.
The game needed way more main missions, Luna implemented as a playable character and at least an other couple of big cities. Unfortunately it didn't happen.

pashmilla

Banned
I mean, I get that Tabata had to chop a trilogy down into a single game... he just seems to have gone about it in the most incompetent manner possible :/

Well I like the story but certainly not because of how poorly it was told through the game. I guess it's more like I like the idea of the story. Either way, Tabata and his team might have tried but they certainly didn't succeed. It happens. Live and learn.

I kinda liked how it was portrayed. I think it would have had less impact if we instantly saw what happened to Gladio, Promto, and Ignis instead of how they came back with something major clearly happening to them.

Not happy that its locked behind a season pass but I liked how Noct clearly was powerless to prevent those things. The other stuff -shrug-

Scrawnton

Except Noctis' dad was the king, and it might be a good idea to call up—you know—the new king to let him know he's now the king. King.
What part of only two people witnessed the kings death did you miss in Kingsglaive? One of which died and the other stranded. The news paper he read was propaganda. Insomnias army calling Noctis to tell him his dad is dead is the least of their worries when giant weapons are destroying their homes and killing all of their people. This is such a weird plot point for you to get hung up on.

chozen

This certainly explains the team's earlier comments about having more scenes with young Luna and Noctis, as well as with Luna and Ravus, and not knowing where to insert them into the game.

I wonder if any of these scenes were cut to avoid bogging down the player w/ story before they got back to playing the game. We already know the Insomnia invasion was cut partially to get people into the open world as soon as possible.

It's funny the 4chan leak back in June/May said the team had a bunch of Noctis and Luna scenes back then too and they had no idea what to do with them. Spot on.

pablito

No

Scenes with Luna and Ravus

Flashback of Insomnia battle

Scene with the emperor with Ravus and Aranea and stuff

Sorry Tabata, but no. Your reason sucks.

KupoNut

I'm actually sure he wasn't given a doomed project story wise. They just decided to gut it in the most ridiculous way and then give shitty storytelling on top of it. This isn't on the material that was in place.

Actually we don't know what was there and wasn't when Tabata took over, pretty sure the guy was just rowing with the oars he had. I don't think FFXV turned out the way it did because of his so-called incompetence.

Remember when Cor and the bros met up right after the invasion and were all sad about Regis' death, then go their separate ways, and then 10 minutes later Noct gets a call from Cor and he's all "HADN'T HEARD FROM YA, THOUGHT I MIGHTA LOST ANOTHER KING HAHA."

Masterful storytelling.

Setsu00

Remember when Cor and the bros met up right after the invasion and were all sad about Regis' death, then go their separate ways, and then 10 minutes later Noct gets a call from Cor and he's all "HADN'T HEARD FROM YA, THOUGHT I MIGHTA LOST ANOTHER KING HAHA."

Masterful storytelling.

I still can't get over how stupid it was to inform Noctis and his companions about his father's death with a newspaper.

pashmilla

Banned
Honestly I would love to do an in depth analysis of FFXV's narrative failings but that would take ten years and end up profoundly disappointing too

chozen

Actually we don't know what was there and wasn't when Tabata took over, pretty sure the guy was just rowing with the oars he had. I don't think FFXV turned out the way it did because of his so-called incompetence.

He could have made better choices however.

Such as Chapter 0 being super pointless, instead of something like the Dawn trailer.

Tyaren

”It was for the players to experience the story through Noctis' eyes," he told the magazine. ”The world and the events that Noctis sees are merely things that are seen through his eyes. We didn't want to create a comprehensive and perfectly balanced story in this game. Instead, we placed importance on the main characters and for the player and Noctis to share the same experience when we tell the story."

I love you, Taba-chan, but that is BS and you know it. ;P
There are several story scenes in the game that Noctis didn't attend. For example the meeting of Aldercapt, Verstael, Ravus and Aranea.

HeelPower

Between this guy and Motomu Toriyama,it seems this series is doomed to mediocrity until either or both leave the company.

rhandino

Banned
I would believe this bullshit if not for the fact that there are TONS of scenes that are not from Noctis POV in the game... like those out of nowhere scenes from Kingsglaive.

SKnHA6U.gif

True Fire

If you're apprehensive about XV, I'd still play it now. Because the game is going to be a whole lot different in a year from now, and I imagine future versions of the game (Steam + PS5) won't let you play it without the story/character additions.

Between this guy and Motomu Toriyama,it seems this series is doomed to mediocrity until either or both leave the company.

At least Tabata and Toriyama know how to release games. The series wouldn't release another game if Nomura had to hold up the mantle.

Zafir

If what was the case why is he going to such lengths to defend this design choice.

He obviously believes in it for whatever reason.

Nya

If what was the case why is he going to such lengths to defend this design choice.

Well, he wouldn't say that SE pushed them to release this game in 2016 no matter what. SE has done this before with XII and XIII, this company seriously never learns ...

Remake VII is doomed at this point.

That excuse would only work if noctis had enough experience if his own. At least it seems we can judge the game without thinking the vision was compromised.

Zafir

Well, he wouldn't say that SE pushed them to release this game in 2016 no matter what. SE has done this before with XII and XIII, this company seriously never learns ...

Remake VII is doomed at this point.

I'm not saying that though.

Why is he even talking about it at all.

Hell, he could have just left it at, the development was a bit troubled but we're trying to make amends through patches and updates. Turn a negative people already know into a positive.

Wagram

The Luna/Noctis relationship was hilariously bad. Hey, let's write in a book and have a dog travel across the world to relay messages instead of using our I don't know cell phones? All the scenes were so cringey and stupid.

Toth

It's the Type-0 story telling model so I am not shocked. I am glad fans called him out on it this time to actually force changes to the game and for the future.

True Fire

Tabata just likes to hear himself speak. You really have to cherrypick the shit he says for intent. (The fact that Tabata is openly addressing the story problems means that he's working on fixing them)

"We didn’t want to create a comprehensive and perfectly balanced story in this game." Who says that? Especially out loud? LOL

The Luna/Noctis relationship was hilariously bad. Hey, let's write in a book and have a dog travel across the world to relay messages instead of using our I don't know cell phones? All the scenes were so cringey and stupid.

They said the letters was a romantic thing they promised as children. Sorry, that's just bullshit and an excuse to get out of hot water.

Fbh

LOL, sure Tabata.

Except for those scenes that aren't from the point of view of Noctis. Or the fact that if you had a better story you could have easily told it following this same "noctis point of view" syle (have a character explain things, have them find data files or some video, have Noctis be present when releavant things happen, etc). Or all those things that don't even make sense even though we did see them from Noctis' point of view

HeelPower

At least Tabata and Toriyama know how to release games. The series wouldn't release another game if Nomura had to hold up the mantle.

I didn't say anything about Nomura.

The series most likely needs completely new management.

Or get Ito out of the basement.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I just got to what I thought was the halfway point of the story but I was just told to prepare for the last battle.

Wow..is this the shortest numbered Final Fantasy game?

Last one I played was 12, and this one is feeling extremely light on content...especially after finishing Dark Souls 3.

Top Bottom